Author Topic: Typing Mistakes Based on Word Sounds  (Read 1846 times)

Offline Kavik

Typing Mistakes Based on Word Sounds
« on: Sun, 18 March 2018, 03:24:47 »
Very often I mistype "want to" as "wanto" and "think" as "thingk", I suppose, because my brain is trying to type the sounds and not the words themselves.

Does anyone else have this problem? This happens even when I'm practicing on Keyhero.com where I can see the word I'm trying to type.

I'm not a bad typist, but this is an annoying problem I've noticed that really affects my accuracy.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Typing Mistakes Based on Word Sounds
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 18 March 2018, 08:47:32 »
practice typing SLOWER.  and while you're typing , effortfully think about the PRECISE string of text you want to type.

For example, it's its it's its it's its its its its it's it's it's

The goal is to create specific muscle memories for more diverse set of strings.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 18 March 2018, 20:40:27 »
No.

I don't sound words out as I'm typing.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 18 March 2018, 21:41:50 »
The mind thinks ahead and I sometimes start typing a latter word before the former, or before the former is done. I have sometimes typed "wanto", but I think for this reason. I have also found myself having capitalised a word when it was the next that was supposed to be.
Another mistake that I sometimes do is that is that my mind comes up with two phrases and the result becomes a jumble of the two.

I have not found myself mistaking different English words by sound — because it is not my native language.
But I do think that native Swedish speakers do similar mistakes when typing or writing Swedish, although I have not found myself doing them.
I was taught English not by sounds but from written textbooks, which means that I always picture English words in how they are spelled. (In a few instances I have not learned the correct pronunciation of an English word until a decade or two after I first read it)
« Last Edit: Sun, 18 March 2018, 21:47:59 by Findecanor »

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 20 March 2018, 03:13:09 »
I noticed another mistake thing I sometimes do: I type words that are spelled close to the word I had intended to type.
For instance, "internet" instead of "internal", "trip" instead of "trim".

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 20 March 2018, 20:52:44 »
I noticed another mistake thing I sometimes do: I type words that are spelled close to the word I had intended to type.

I get this, but for words similar to ones I use regularly.

For example one of our clients uses a software package canned "norming", but I keep typing it as "normal".

Also I can't type encrtpy.  Encrpyt.  Encrtpy.  You know what I mean.  Just can't type it, unless I go really slowly and sound out each letter.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 18:45:36 »
practice typing SLOWER.  and while you're typing , effortfully think about the PRECISE string of text you want to type.

When you post something like this that actually makes sense, I have to sit here and reread it a few times to be sure I'm not just seeing things.

I get this, but for words similar to ones I use regularly.

For example one of our clients uses a software package canned "norming", but I keep typing it as "normal".

Also I can't type encrtpy.  Encrpyt.  Encrtpy.  You know what I mean.  Just can't type it, unless I go really slowly and sound out each letter.

For me, it's Deskthority. Same way—I have to slow way down or I type Deskthraroity or something. Part of the problem is that Deskthority isn't really about desks, per se. It's like they threw that in just to confuse us. This is why I'm always suspicious of foreigners.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 18:53:05 »

When you post something like this that actually makes sense, I have to sit here and reread it a few times to be sure I'm not just seeing things.

Tp4 , author of Tp4 Speed Typing guide, would never steer lambs astray..

it's in my sig.. !!