Author Topic: Kinesis Advantage 2 Question  (Read 6711 times)

Offline 2D

Kinesis Advantage 2 Question
« on: Fri, 25 May 2018, 11:18:45 »
Hey guys,

Bought a Kinesis advantage 2 around 2 weeks ago after hearing great things online about it. Got used to keying on it, but one thing that I am noticing is that my right forearm and wrist are starting to give me some trouble. I didn't have any issues before, but I wanted to get  mechanical keyboard that would also do ergonomics really well so I am assuming this could be user error on my end since the Kinesis is supposed to help rather than start causing me issues.

I contacted Kinesis on Twitter and they told me that unfortunately not everyone gets along with the Advantage 2 and I should look into sending it back since they don't one me hurting myself in the long run, but damn I really do love the Advantage 2. They also suggested maybe trying the Free Style Edge, but that would be kinda hard since with all the shipping back and forth I would be down $45 just in shipping.

What wanted to see is if any other Advantage 2 users out there experienced the same discomfort in the beginning or if it is something that is not normal.

Thanks!

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
Re: Kinesis Advantage 2 Question
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 25 May 2018, 14:09:45 »
Isn't the problem mousing? The kinesis is relatively tall, thus I ended up placing a very thick book under the trackball / mousepad.

Offline figit090

• RGB LED Kinesis Contoured
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 25 May 2018, 14:35:22 »
Do you rest heavily on the board? I found one wrist hurting when I didn't suspend my hands properly above the board.

Do you have a large distance to the mouse? Also an issue. You might try reducing the distance you move to the mouse and avoid stretching your arm.

Height may have exacerbated an issue with your arm also, if you didn't adjust your seating height for the taller board, you may have your arms angled too high.  You want 90 degrees at the elbow or slightly greater. Check out posture tips online and make sure you follow them all.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: Fri, 25 May 2018, 16:41:23 by figit090 »

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 25 May 2018, 15:29:57 »
It is quite a high keyboard. Maybe your desk is too high compared to your chair.
Some people use it only in their lap or standing in front of a high desk so as not having to bend the wrists too much.

Offline 2D

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 25 May 2018, 21:10:23 »
Thanks for the input guys. My mouse is right next to the advantage 2 so there is not a lot of traveling distance. I did lower the desk so that my arms would be at 90 degrees to compensate for the height of the board. I didn't use it today to see if there would be no pain and so far everything seems alright so I am guessing I am not positioning myself correctly.

Called Kinesis customer support and they told me I might be straining my arm muscles somehow, and mentioned not everyone adjusts to the advantage 2, so they gave me a RMA and told me to try the Freestyle. It is a great board though.

Offline hoggy

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 27 May 2018, 16:28:08 »
Thanks for the input guys. My mouse is right next to the advantage 2 so there is not a lot of traveling distance. I did lower the desk so that my arms would be at 90 degrees to compensate for the height of the board. I didn't use it today to see if there would be no pain and so far everything seems alright so I am guessing I am not positioning myself correctly.

Called Kinesis customer support and they told me I might be straining my arm muscles somehow, and mentioned not everyone adjusts to the advantage 2, so they gave me a RMA and told me to try the Freestyle. It is a great board though.
Sounds like you've done the right thing.  What works for me, might not work for you and all that.  I'll be interested to see your thoughts on the freestyle.
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0