Author Topic: Choosing a switch weight  (Read 4189 times)

Offline jcoffin1981

Choosing a switch weight
« on: Sun, 24 June 2018, 16:21:34 »
I am going to take the plunge and get a board with linears which in 3 or 4 years I have yet to do.  However, I don't know what the appropriate spring weight will be.  The force at activation is not really an accurate representation of what the weight feels like, at least this is the case with tactile switches.

I like the weight of MX Browns and I am I wonder if without having to conquer the tactile bump the Red switch will feel a whole lot lighter.  I'm looking at the force curve graphs for example MX Red vs Black.

Now I also prefer not to bottom out so a heavier switch helps with this, but I also like easy switch activation.  Probably a switch with a force curve of a steep incline is what I need.  Very easy to press at the top but heavy and shock absorbing on the bottom.

I'm seeing things like this on Amazon- a cheap way to try linear. It's actually cheaper than buying buying 70 Red switches alone and soldering them to a board. I'm sure I can find an inexpensive board with MX Reds as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Mechanical-Keyboard-68-Keys-Magicforce-Qisan/dp/B01ABUJ2KM#
KPB V60 Gateron Browns and Leopold Keycaps.  Poker 3 with Gateron Browns and Poker keycaps.  Poker 3 with Cherry MX Browns, ABS keycaps and white LED's.

Leopold FC660M- my new favorite, right out of the box.

Offline monkt

Re: Choosing a switch weight
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 25 June 2018, 18:19:39 »
I can type on MX Blacks without bottoming out most of the time. It's very satisfying when I'm in a groove and my fingers are in sync with the weight and travel of each key press. But even when I bottom out, they never feel very heavy to me. I was actually pretty surprised and had to double-check that they were blacks because I had been expecting them to feel heavier. I still want to try every other switch out there, but it's hard to justify when I'm already typing on something that works so well for me.

If you want a linear to try typing without bottoming out, this might be a good weight for you. After typing on these, I think I'd have a much harder time doing the same on anything much lighter.

I actually agonized over this quite a bit and would have gone for the reds instead if they hadn't been sold out on the board I wanted. Turned out for the best, I think.

Let us know how you fare.

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 25 June 2018, 18:52:16 »
It's worth considering how much you're interested im customizing your switches. Certain switches on the market or in non-linear switches have steeper or sharper force curves than stock linear switches. MX Clear switches are notable in that regard, as are some Sprit's custom spring weights with higher amounts of cushion towards the end.

But if you're looking for stock linear boards I think your options are much more straightforward. I've heard good things about stock Gateron springs in terms of their force curves, might be looking into. I'm less familiar with Kailh box switches or Halos but there may be options there.
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline jcoffin1981

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 25 June 2018, 20:57:37 »
Yeah, I was debating about a board with Gateron Clears.  They are something like 30 grams and I'm wondering if they may be just too light. Normally I'd just buy both, but I'm really trying to keep the budget tight.  I'm really making a big deal of this decision.  Right now I'm trying to keep it right out of the box.  If I had more of an idea what I wanted I may try customizing it. 

Actually I just saw the force curve for the Cherry Speed switch.  This may actually be just what I'm looking for...
KPB V60 Gateron Browns and Leopold Keycaps.  Poker 3 with Gateron Browns and Poker keycaps.  Poker 3 with Cherry MX Browns, ABS keycaps and white LED's.

Offline Aerizu

• Professional Lurker
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 25 June 2018, 22:29:52 »
Why not buy a switch tester? Kbdfans have one with 63 of the most commonly used switches on the market.

Offline jcoffin1981

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 26 June 2018, 01:05:44 »
I've had them, though I gave one away and can't find the other.  It can give you a feel for the key, but is not really representative for typing on.  I think Red may be too light, but I don't know.   I'm thinking blacks in cherry or gateron.

Offline Aerizu

• Professional Lurker
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 26 June 2018, 04:57:48 »
Well you're right, typing on a board full of a specific switch would have a different feel, but at least you'll have an idea on what to expect.

Have you tried visiting your local stores? From where I live, there are several stores that allow you to try the keyboards on display. They're mostly cherry, gateron and topre though.

If you're in for linears, I suggest getting gaterons as they feel smoother than their cherry counterparts when stock. You might also want to consider gateron yellows if you feel that blacks are a bit too heavy.

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 26 June 2018, 05:03:22 »
do what i did blacks to heavy reds to light -> gateron yellow is the answer :).
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline jcoffin1981

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 26 June 2018, 06:47:30 »
I live in the sticks now so I can't try a display model.  I do remember the reds on the switch tester being scratchy as heck, sort of like a creeaky mattress.