Author Topic: Topre R2: Will it Sell Out Quickly?  (Read 15803 times)

Offline rxc92

Topre R2: Will it Sell Out Quickly?
« on: Tue, 26 June 2018, 10:52:24 »
Hey all,
I haven't bought a keyboard in quite some time, but the ANSI Realforce R2 coming out on the 3rd of July really caught my eye; the silencing, adjustable actuation point, and more importantly the TKL factor that the RGB-Realforce was lacking. However, I'm in a bit of a dilemma; I'll be in Japan for a bit, but not until the end of July; considering that it's a limited edition, do you guys think it'll be sold out before then? Perhaps I should just pay the price of shipping in Asia, it couldn't be too bad?

Offline _PixelNinja

• C=Q/V=ε(A/t)
Re: Topre R2: Will it Sell Out Quickly?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 26 June 2018, 11:13:52 »
One can only speculate — your guess is as good as ours.

Offline rxc92

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 26 June 2018, 11:23:07 »
One can only speculate — your guess is as good as ours.

Sadly, I think you're right. On the bright side, it seems prices on Amazon are significantly lower for the JP version than advertised (said to be about 28,500 yen, but actually about 21,000). So far I think the best course of action is getting a proxy to store it at their warehouse and pick it up, so I'll probably do that since the fees are quite low (less than $10). For others though, it's a bit of an expensive option.

Offline Tactile

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 26 June 2018, 11:30:57 »
These folks are in Japan. i don't see that keyboard in their selection but it might be worth contacting them to ask if they can get one for you.
REΛLFORCE

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 27 June 2018, 17:52:30 »
Is it actually limited edition?  I thought R2 is suppose to replace the 104U / 87U series.  Because they still have the APC and non-APC versions (which is basically like the regular Realforce).

My understanding is that it will be like Filco 1, Filco 2, Ducky 1, Ducky 2... etc.  I'd probably not worry about it to be honest.

EDIT:  I just hop over to their Japanese website and some of the older model says Last production 2018 June, so they are phasing out the older models.

http://www.realforce.co.jp/products/index_office.html
« Last Edit: Wed, 27 June 2018, 18:02:30 by Hyde »

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline rxc92

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 27 June 2018, 19:11:54 »
Is it actually limited edition?  I thought R2 is suppose to replace the 104U / 87U series.  Because they still have the APC and non-APC versions (which is basically like the regular Realforce).

My understanding is that it will be like Filco 1, Filco 2, Ducky 1, Ducky 2... etc.  I'd probably not worry about it to be honest.

EDIT:  I just hop over to their Japanese website and some of the older model says Last production 2018 June, so they are phasing out the older models.

Well now, that would make a whole ton of sense now, wouldn't it? I must be somewhat lacking in the mental department.. blame the bad google translation and it being called "PFU Limited Edition", I guess. 
Thanks for looking into it.

Offline Hyde

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 27 June 2018, 21:25:29 »
LOL it's ok don't worry, I think Topre never gave a clear explanation also you were probably just too excited haha.

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline nogoodnames444

• I like keyboards
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 28 June 2018, 14:13:23 »
I don't know if they would because it seems like they want to keep that keyboard Asia only

Offline Erikdayo

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 28 June 2018, 15:39:14 »
Hope they aren’t too difficult to find. Definitely interested in a white TKL. I’d prefer 60%, but it seems like they have no plans to make a 60% Realforce.

Offline rxc92

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 29 June 2018, 05:27:22 »
I don't know if they would because it seems like they want to keep that keyboard Asia only

Now why would they do that? I don't quite see why Topre would want to **not** sell where they can, hell, they made a big expansion into China recently (which is probably where most of the ANSI Realforce keyboards are bought, anyways), and I'm sure they'd like to sell them to Europe and the Americas, even if by third parties like they do already. I'd be really shocked if they put in all this effort to update their keyboards for the first time in.. well, quite a long time, just so they could sell to two countries. In fact, it says on their announcement page that the ANSI isn't being sold in Shanghai till September; that still leaves a cool couple of months for sales outside.

Hope they aren’t too difficult to find. Definitely interested in a white TKL. I’d prefer 60%, but it seems like they have no plans to make a 60% Realforce.

Me too! I actually was really interested in their adjustable actuation points, and also wanted silenced Topre; the indicator light and new look is just a bonus. If only their RGB had an 87 key version, I'd just get that (since it's got the tech already), but it's only available fullsize.

Offline Erikdayo

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 02 July 2018, 22:14:44 »
ANSI version is up for pre-sale, but it seems like at least PFU and Amazon Japan won't ship to the USA directly. Making it difficult to give them money.

Offline 00

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 02 July 2018, 23:26:11 »
ANSI version is up for pre-sale, but it seems like at least PFU and Amazon Japan won't ship to the USA directly. Making it difficult to give them money.

both can be easily dealt with by using a proxy, it's a piece of cake - i'm not sure how it works with pre-sale items though
It's like, dude, you gotta re-evaluate
Your perspective and your priorities, because
You started doing this because it was ****ing fun, you know?
It has to be fun
Otherwise, you're just torturing yourself, you know?
You're... you're just stuck inside your own ****ing head

Offline Erikdayo

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 05:06:45 »
Yea. I’ve got it covered. Just think it’s kind of funny considering it’d be mostly people outside Japan that want this version.

Offline rxc92

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 09:33:20 »
I put in an order on amazon.co.jp; the shipping date is pretty scary! If you order it domestic, it'll say 'Get it August 17th' which wouldn't work, but when you order it'll say August 3rd-17th. 
On the bright side, it comes with a complementary wooden wrist rest, the same as the JP edition. Get em while they're hot folks.

Offline Erikdayo

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 09:47:49 »
Nice. I had an old friend in Japan order it. Then they'll ship it to me. probably won't have it til the end of August since he'll be on vacation when it arrives, but I don't mind the wait. Already have a nice Topre board.

Offline cryptokey

• * Destiny Supporter
  • [°°▄°] luser-friendly
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 10 July 2018, 22:00:32 »

Well now, that would make a whole ton of sense now, wouldn't it? I must be somewhat lacking in the mental department.. blame the bad google translation and it being called "PFU Limited Edition", I guess. 
Thanks for looking into it.

I had a moment of panic when I first heard "limited edition" haha.  Good for both of us that it isn't
More

[WTB] HHKB Black

Offline typo

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 11 July 2018, 01:22:37 »
Not sure why this is so anticipated. It may spell the downfall of Topre. They have adopted a very similar case to the RGB here. The "U" series case already was not the best case. Now depending who you ask, a further step back. I have perhaps the most expensive RGB. Not bragging but getting to a point. It has caps from 5 different GMK sets but it does not have silencers since I did not want them. If it did the board would be over a grand. The point is, now I am looking for a CNC Billet case. Since as of now, due to the case this hardly adds up to $600 worth of keyboard.

I think they went backwards. This is in fact their new regular production, replacing the "U" series. So this is all there is from them. Now I will say the actuation control is amazing. Don't even know how they pulled that off. Not that is does so but at what precise points it does it. The middle is exactly where the domes collapse. This does not have a backlight, you probably don't want that. For stock caps I prefer the DS. This has the PBT.

They have been planning to, and are now moving the RGB to the Forefront of their line. Except for some special production and limited production the RGB is now their flagship board. Also their highest priced in Yen at about 31,000. Same price here $279. Amazon only, has been authorized to sell the RGB for $239.Elite Keyboards etc are at a disadvantage unless you still value service.

There are a couple of very cool "special" boards but for the most part the RGB is now their top product. Hence they "borrowed" the case, similar at least. If I did not already have like 7 of them plus HHKB's I would be trying to grab a "U" series before they are gone. I think that would be the real attraction right now. The "R" is only JDM at the moment but will take over the worldwide line as the new product offering and successor to the "U" series. The old case was not great either but better than this. Heck, if you want one(and I know you do) by all means get it. Just let it be known what the case is. Not hating, just disappointed.

Offline rxc92

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 11 July 2018, 03:18:03 »
clipped

It's hard to tell just from the pictures provided, but I would hazard that it is a different case, as there's no need for RGB internals or a processor. Either way, if things go as planned, I should have a board to play around with and make a review of in the first week of August as they ship, and should be able to compare it with a 10th Anniversary that's been collecting dust. 

However, I'm skeptical as to calling it the downfall of Topre. Remember that Topre is a big company that makes much more selling assorted electronics and even vehicle parts than they do off of selling a few thousand keyboards; it's not exactly the highest priority for them, hence their perpetual high cost, difficulty in acquiring, and stagnancy. 

It doesn't seem that the RGB will be their flagship board either, as it's very expensive and traditional Topre users, having used completely non-backlit keyboards for years, likely aren't interested. Personally, though, I would quickly jump on a TKL version if they had one, and that was the only reason I didn't go for the RGB and waited a couple of months instead. On the other hand, it's totally possible that a younger audience is all over the RGB version despite its price, but I have some doubts (given that much more popular MX boards are available for much less). 

All in all, I hope to be able to help clear things up with others once the board comes in!

Offline Erikdayo

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 11 July 2018, 03:26:48 »
I prefer the new case. End of story really. Everyone is entitled to their preferences, but I wanted one because of the new features and look compared to the old Realforce. Everything about it is superior to me.

I don’t imagine I’ll be disappointed unless my R2 arrives broken. I don’t want a CNC Billet case for my Topre board. Best of luck to those who do.

Offline zslane

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 11 July 2018, 12:09:27 »
What is a "CNC Billet" case?

Offline E3E

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 11 July 2018, 12:30:06 »
What is a "CNC Billet" case?

An aluminum case, ie Korean customs and CNC'd aluminum cases often purchased through group buys.

Offline Erikdayo

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 11 July 2018, 12:34:22 »
Your keyboard is only good if it weighs 5x more than stock.

Offline zslane

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 11 July 2018, 12:53:16 »
Oh man, I would kill for an aluminum replacement case for my Realforce RGBs! But I would need the option to get them in powder-coated white as well as black (anodized or powder-coated, I don't really care). I love my Realforce RBG boards, but I dearly wish I could upgrade their cases like I did for my NovaTouches (I have each of my NovaTouches in a beautiful Norbauer case).

Offline rxc92

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 11 July 2018, 20:09:48 »

Actually an unironic, popular opinion, which makes me sad. Just because metal costs more than plastic doesn't mean it's better, unless you actually like the feeling better. I feel there are plenty of people shelling out hundreds of bucks on metal cases when they don't actually like it better than stock :(

Offline Kevadu

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 11 July 2018, 22:55:28 »

Actually an unironic, popular opinion, which makes me sad. Just because metal costs more than plastic doesn't mean it's better, unless you actually like the feeling better. I feel there are plenty of people shelling out hundreds of bucks on metal cases when they don't actually like it better than stock :(

But don't you know that weight equals quality?  That's why I strap lead bricks to all my keyboards.

Offline cryptokey

• * Destiny Supporter
  • [°°▄°] luser-friendly
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 12 July 2018, 20:40:56 »

As someone who has only owned plastic boards (aside from poker 3 case but my hands don't touch that) I feel like if I got a metal TKL case it'd make my hands cold, especially during the winters here.
More

[WTB] HHKB Black

Offline rxc92

« Reply #26 on: Thu, 12 July 2018, 21:01:57 »

As someone who has only owned plastic boards (aside from poker 3 case but my hands don't touch that) I feel like if I got a metal TKL case it'd make my hands cold, especially during the winters here.

To be honest, I'm not a big fan of most cases that have a bezel, but it's necessary in most cases. My current board is metal plate with a plastic diffuser sandwiched between another metal backplate, and it feels perfect to me. The ones with full cases clack a little too much for my liking. I don't remember that being a problem with my HHKB, perhaps because it was plastic or perhaps due to the switch type.   
Perhaps it's being a little harsh on metal case users, though. I've personally not used one, but I disliked a plastic case + metal backplate enough to not want to toss hundreds at it. Maybe I'll make a meetup one of these days..

Offline titanium

« Reply #27 on: Fri, 13 July 2018, 04:23:04 »
 A slimmer bezel and led indicators being labeled... So what actual benefits does this R2 have over R1?

Offline rxc92

« Reply #28 on: Fri, 13 July 2018, 05:53:48 »
A slimmer bezel and led indicators being labeled... So what actual benefits does this R2 have over R1?

They're silenced, which is nice, but the main draw is the ability to change the actuation point at will (from current 2.2 mm to 1.5 and 3mm), and its new case design. Plus, current buyers get a cool complementary wrist rest.

Offline Hyde

« Reply #29 on: Fri, 13 July 2018, 16:01:53 »

They're silenced, which is nice, but the main draw is the ability to change the actuation point at will (from current 2.2 mm to 1.5 and 3mm), and its new case design. Plus, current buyers get a cool complementary wrist rest.

I think that's APC version, the non-APC version I'd say pretty much exactly the same LOL.

Offline rxc92

« Reply #30 on: Fri, 13 July 2018, 23:40:37 »
I think that's APC version, the non-APC version I'd say pretty much exactly the same LOL.

The new case is pretty different, not entirely sure what's funny about that! 
Also, the limited edition ones come with APC functionality, which is what I was posting about. Looks like the LE are all uniform 45g and all TKL, while there's a wider selection (TK/TKL, silenced/non-silenced, APC or not) for regular R2's. Wonder if they'll bring back the 55g, I know a lot of people liked those (haven't had a chance to try them, though). 

So it seems like a simple refresh of their products, with an added functionality; from original pricing though, an extra 3,000+ yen just for APC? Yikes.. Maybe they're just using the APC boards to push customers towards the RGB, which is comparable in cost to an APC silenced board (25,000/$222 yen for silenced APC, $230 for RGB with APC). The TKL RGB is supposed to be out this year also.

Offline Hyde

« Reply #31 on: Fri, 13 July 2018, 23:54:58 »

The new case is pretty different, not entirely sure what's funny about that! 
Also, the limited edition ones come with APC functionality, which is what I was posting about. Looks like the LE are all uniform 45g and all TKL, while there's a wider selection (TK/TKL, silenced/non-silenced, APC or not) for regular R2's. Wonder if they'll bring back the 55g, I know a lot of people liked those (haven't had a chance to try them, though). 

So it seems like a simple refresh of their products, with an added functionality; from original pricing though, an extra 3,000+ yen just for APC? Yikes.. Maybe they're just using the APC boards to push customers towards the RGB, which is comparable in cost to an APC silenced board (25,000/$222 yen for silenced APC, $230 for RGB with APC). The TKL RGB is supposed to be out this year also.

Oh the previous person was asking about the functionality difference, I'd say if you get the non APC one it's pretty much exactly the same as before function wise.

But I do like the new case design also the uniform 45g silent option (which was previously unavailable for North America).  So I most likely will pick one up later this year when I travel to Japan.  :)

Offline rxc92

« Reply #32 on: Mon, 16 July 2018, 00:34:48 »
On the original note, it seems that the limited edition R2 will not sell out quickly, at least not until the 31st of this month when they stop offering the complementary wooden wrist rest. You can still find it available for the regular 30,780 + 4,800 yen tax on all their official sites (Amazon Japan/Rakuten/Yahoo Japan), just search for 'realforce r2 英' if you're looking for the ANSI version, or 'realforce r2 日本語' for the JIS. 

Just two more weeks to get my hands on one.. it's been such a long wait  :eek: 
I'll make a nice review and hopefully include a typing test (to see if the case impacts the sound at all) and reference it with an original RF to see how it works. 

OT: There seems to be several silenced+APC-capable 30g R2's, I hadn't heard anything about this? Rakuten link 
It makes sense that they're continuing them, with a similar price. 45g silenced+APC run about 25,000, while the 30g models are about 28,000. I didn't even know they had silenced 30g, for that matter. Also there are variable weighted ones available.

Offline zslane

« Reply #33 on: Mon, 16 July 2018, 11:56:31 »
When will it become available in ANSI layout?

Offline rxc92

« Reply #34 on: Mon, 16 July 2018, 20:32:56 »

The ANSI limited edition was made available for pre-order on the 4th of this month (so the 3rd outside of Asia); it's being shipped out on the 31st. However, it's only available for shipping to Japanese addresses at the moment - you'd have to use a proxy or be there in person.  I'm not sure when the promotion ends, but it would presumably be after 20 days (24th Japanese time) as with the JIS version.

All JIS R2's are already out (variable weight, 30g, silenced/unsilenced, APC and not), as the limited edition period (5th-25th of last month) has already passed, but for the ANSI, only the special edition (TKL uniform 45g, with APC, silenced + wooden wrist rest) is available now, in black and white. 

It's available directly from PFU/Topre on Amazon Japan, Rakuten, Yahoo, and their official site.

Offline Data789

« Reply #35 on: Sun, 29 July 2018, 07:42:45 »

There are 18 variants of the US-ANSI models available to suppliers in August 2018, but really 3 versions of the keyboard.

The codes are pretty easy to interpret: [Type]-[Model]-[Color]. The Realforce R2 banner is the top right area of the keyboard which has a different style/color depending on the 'type'.

R2TL (10 keyless - standard)
Realforce Banner - Gunmetal motif
3 weights - Variable (30/45/55g), Uniform 30g, Uniform 55g
2 colors - black [BK], ivory [IV]

R2TLS (Silent)
Realforce Banner - Bronze motif

R2TLA (APC)
Realforce Banner - Silver motif

Source (Japanese): http://v4.eir-parts.net/v4Contents/View.aspx?template=announcement&sid=42394&code=5975

No word on US-ANSI full sized keyboard; maybe later - if I recall, the TKL Japanese model only came out in March, after the launch of the full sized Japanese model last year; so they've done the reverse.

Note: What makes the "PFU Limited Edition" special is, it is the only current ANSI version of the Realforce R2 keyboard that has both APC and Silence (HHKB style Type-S); it has a Carbon Fibre design motif and it is Uniform 45g (like a HHKB). So two variants of another version of the keyboard - making 20 variants; 4 versions of the US-ANSI style Realforce R2's.

R2TLSA (Silent, APC) - Realforce R2 PFU Ltd Edition
Realforce Banner - Carbon Fibre motif
Only comes in one weight - Uniform 45g

As per the Amazon page, due to popularity of the pre-order, the free wooden palm rest is out of stock and won't be shipped until after August 23. There's an alternative one... Anyway, the deal with the free palm rest ends tomorrow (30/7), so if you haven't ordered, you might want to.

Offline rxc92

« Reply #36 on: Mon, 30 July 2018, 20:11:13 »
Oh ****e, I hope my wooden rest comes with the order since I right after it was made available.. I'm currently in Japan and plan to pick it up in a week. 
On a side note, I went to a Yodobashi Camera and they had all-45g and variable JP R2's on display, with the regular Realforces heavily discounted. They also had a neat display where they put a thick pad in the board to show you where the different actuation points were.

Offline Erikdayo

« Reply #37 on: Tue, 31 July 2018, 06:21:24 »
So many options, but I feel like uniform 45g is the correct one for me. Wonder why the other variations don't have a 45g option. 30g is also appealing. I've never tried a uniform 30g Topre board.

Offline rainb1ood

• so pretty so plastic
« Reply #38 on: Tue, 31 July 2018, 12:31:46 »
Where can I order online?

Offline rxc92

« Reply #39 on: Tue, 31 July 2018, 20:42:21 »
Update: My R2 board arrived last night in Japan time (within a day of it being shipped); it'll be a couple days till I head over and can check if the wrist rest was included or not.

At the moment you can only order from Japanese sites; Amazon.co.jp, Yahoo Japan, Rakuten, and PFU's official site. They're all the same price, tax will be included unless you buy it in person in Japan. 
Likely you'd have to use a proxy service. Apparently within the month, other carriers will begin stocking it (i.e. the ANSI version in China is being released within a couple weeks), but not 100% sure about EU/NA.

Offline rainb1ood

• so pretty so plastic
« Reply #40 on: Tue, 31 July 2018, 20:43:35 »
Update: My R2 board arrived last night in Japan time (within a day of it being shipped); it'll be a couple days till I head over and can check if the wrist rest was included or not.

At the moment you can only order from Japanese sites; Amazon.co.jp, Yahoo Japan, Rakuten, and PFU's official site. They're all the same price, tax will be included unless you buy it in person in Japan. 
Likely you'd have to use a proxy service. Apparently within the month, other carriers will begin stocking it (i.e. the ANSI version in China is being released within a couple weeks), but not 100% sure about EU/NA.

Thanks! I'll keep looking on those then

Offline js

« Reply #41 on: Wed, 01 August 2018, 10:40:48 »
Does anyone know whether the r2 has a pbt spacebar? In the pdf Data789 linked, I saw a mention of pbt but not abs.

Offline kohtachi

« Reply #42 on: Wed, 01 August 2018, 12:30:23 »
Any idea if and when these will be released in the USA? .... n/m
« Last Edit: Wed, 01 August 2018, 12:35:59 by kohtachi »
FC500RC modded with mod-m switches, PBT Double Shot Keycap Set - Gray/Dark Gray (Tai-Hao), and 008 Buna-N O-Ring, 50A Durometer mod  | REALFORCE R2 PFU Limited Edition  R2TLSABK 45g

Offline Ovrclck

• Romans 8:38-39
« Reply #43 on: Wed, 01 August 2018, 15:36:25 »
Any idea if and when these will be released in the USA? .... n/m

I'm hope so! My wallet is ready.
HHKB Pro 2 | HHKB Pro 2 Type-S | IBM Model M | 2x Dell AT101W

Offline Data789

« Reply #44 on: Thu, 02 August 2018, 00:11:49 »
Oh ****e, I hope my wooden rest comes with the order since I right after it was made available.. I'm currently in Japan and plan to pick it up in a week. 

If you ordered it as soon as it came out from Amazon JP you should receive the wooden palm rest. My proxy shopper has confirmed receipt. My friend who waited a day later was informed to expect shipment mid this month.
« Last Edit: Thu, 02 August 2018, 03:10:00 by Data789 »

Offline rxc92

« Reply #45 on: Thu, 02 August 2018, 01:58:36 »

If you ordered it as soon as it came out from Amazon JP you should receive the wooden palm rest. My proxy shopper had confirmed receipt. My friend who waited a day later was informed to expect shipment mid this month.

Ah, is that right. Maybe it's not based on order date, but instead site (PFU vs Amazon/Yahoo/Rakuten) or just luck. Amazon shows I ordered on the 3rd, hopefully I'll get it.

Offline kohtachi

« Reply #46 on: Thu, 02 August 2018, 14:05:31 »

If you ordered it as soon as it came out from Amazon JP you should receive the wooden palm rest. My proxy shopper had confirmed receipt. My friend who waited a day later was informed to expect shipment mid this month.

Ah, is that right. Maybe it's not based on order date, but instead site (PFU vs Amazon/Yahoo/Rakuten) or just luck. Amazon shows I ordered on the 3rd, hopefully I'll get it.

Did you use a proxy service to order it though amazon.jp?  if you did may i ask which one you used?
FC500RC modded with mod-m switches, PBT Double Shot Keycap Set - Gray/Dark Gray (Tai-Hao), and 008 Buna-N O-Ring, 50A Durometer mod  | REALFORCE R2 PFU Limited Edition  R2TLSABK 45g

Offline Data789

« Reply #47 on: Thu, 02 August 2018, 19:59:02 »
Quote from: kohtachi link=topic=96339.msg2645428#msg2645428
Did you use a proxy service to order it though amazon.jp?  if you did may i ask which one you used?

There's a few. I used "From Japan". Others include ZenMarket, Dejapan, White Rabbit but you really have to research what the costs is going to be. Some charge a percentage of the item cost as a service or commission fee - for a 30,000+ yen keyboard that is a lot of $. You definitely should avoid that. The shipping cost back to your country is also a consideration.

Offline Data789

« Reply #48 on: Fri, 03 August 2018, 08:22:27 »
Topre announces release of US full sized R2's - confirms the first generation of Realforces will be discontinued

Since my post just the other day... Topre have announced the release of the US/English Realforce R2 full sized keyboard - there are 18 variants of the US-ANSI models available to suppliers in October 2018, but really 3 versions of the keyboard.

The Realforce R2 banner is the top right area of the keyboard which has a different style/color depending on the 'type'.

R2 (104 keys - standard)
Realforce Banner - Gunmetal motif

R2S (Silent - 104 keys)
Realforce Banner - Bronze motif

R2A (APC - 104+4 keys)
Realforce Banner - Silver motif

Source (Japanese): http://v4.eir-parts.net/v4Contents/View.aspx?template=announcement&sid=43725&code=5975

The press release claims that with dimensions: 142mm x 455mm x 30mm, it is 16% more compact than the conventional full keyboard. It weighs 1.4kg with a 1.7m cable.

A picture is here: https://gunosy.com/articles/alDz4

So therefore to answer the OP question, the Topre Realforce R2 (TKL and Full) replaces the first generation - and while models like the PFU Limited Edition may sell quickly, it looks like the R2 is the Topre flagship model to stay for the long term.
« Last Edit: Fri, 03 August 2018, 09:27:32 by Data789 »

Offline rxc92

« Reply #49 on: Fri, 03 August 2018, 10:38:07 »

No, fortunately I happen to be in Japan on vacation for the time being, so I was able to have it delivered to a friend's home. Proxies didn't ask for a ton though, I think Zenmarket offered a pretty good rate. Decent ones do NOT charge a commission on the item.