Author Topic: How is Filco SA compared to other SA keysets?  (Read 5889 times)

Offline lordlors

How is Filco SA compared to other SA keysets?
« on: Mon, 02 July 2018, 01:52:57 »
Hi, I'm new to this community and into the world of mechanical keyboards. I watched Chyrosran's videos on Kailh Navies and SA keycaps. So I got myself a GMMK TKL with Box Navies and Filco's SA keycaps and freaking love it! I've heard they're made by SP which is considered to be one of the best keycap manufacturers. I bought this off from Filco's Japanese website since I live in Tokyo. They're cheap, just costed me around 50 US dollars and they've got new colors aside from the blackish ones I've seen on the net. Most were sold out but thankfully, the navy/white combo is still available and was perfect to go with my box navies. Filco no longer glues the costar stab insides into the space bar and mod keys and are just put into a small ziploc bag so I had no problems. Here's the link if you're interested to look at their new colors: http://www.diatec.co.jp/shop/list.php?s[]=110:1006:10036

I know Filco's SA is semi sculpted using only R2 and R3. How do they compare to Maxkey's fully sculptured SA keysets? Are Maxkey's objectively better in terms of quality? This may be subjective but is it still better to experience a fully sculptured SA keyset?
« Last Edit: Mon, 02 July 2018, 15:15:30 by lordlors »

Offline blighty

Re: How is Filco SA compared to other SA keysets?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 02 July 2018, 03:20:15 »
I personally like the Filco SA sets.  Unfortunately, I no longer regularly type on boards that use the standard 1.25u mod/6.25u spacebar, so I don't use them.  If I did, they are great bang for the buck and they more or less feel like a slightly higher profile OEM set. 
LZ ergo (MX silent red) | JER - A06 (MX silent black-red springs) | Duck Lightsaver V2 (MX red) | Duck Octagon V2 (gateron clear) (lifted pads) | Duck Orion V2 (gateron red) | TKC 1800 (gateron silent reds) | Mistel MD770 (MX red with GMK silencing clips) | Realforce R2TSLA-US4-IV | Realforce R2TLSA-US4-BK | TX 75 (gateron clear) | KBDFANS 75 ("vintage" MX blues) | Kinesis Freestyle Pro (MX red) | MS Surface Ergonomic | MS Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL (MX black) | Phantom (Filco case) ("vintage" MX blacks | Spr1t 75% PCB x 2 (MX black and gateron clear) | Cherry G80-1865 (MX browns with black springs)

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 02 July 2018, 20:46:51 »
I think quality wise it should be about the same, Filco SA are made by Signature Plastic.

As for sculpted SA, I think it's entire based on preference.

For reference, I hated sculpted SA while other people raved them.  My ideal is all row 3 SA, even Filco's row 2 bugged me (I own a set too).

So if you enjoy it then I'd not worry about it.  But if you're curious then maybe you should get a set from Maxkeys since they're quite a bit cheaper than the SA sets.

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline lordlors

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 02 July 2018, 23:21:34 »
Which makes me think, how is it that Filco SA is much cheaper compared to other SP's SA keysets when they're all made by SP? Is it because Filco SA isn't fully sculpted or does it have something to do with the legends and colors on Filco SA being different?
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 July 2018, 00:30:40 by lordlors »

Offline JianYang

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 00:22:06 »
Which makes me think, how is it that Filco SA is much cheaper compared to other SP's SA keysets when they're all made by SP? Is it because Filco SA isn't fully sculptured or does it have something to do with the legends and colors on Filco SA being different?

Probably partly due to the partially sculpted, and mostly due to quantities.

Offline Tactile

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 09:13:37 »
Which makes me think, how is it that Filco SA is much cheaper compared to other SP's SA keysets when they're all made by SP? Is it because Filco SA isn't fully sculpted or does it have something to do with the legends and colors on Filco SA being different?

Well... call up Filco and ask how many keycap sets they ordered from SP. Now go to SP, pick out the set you like, give them a call and promise to buy that same number of sets. I'll bet you could get the price pretty close to what the Filco sets sell for, or maybe a bit less.
REΛLFORCE

Offline zslane

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 11:50:49 »
There are three reasons why the Filco SA keycaps are less expensive that all the custom SA sets you find elsewhere:

1. Filco has an OEM vendor relationship with Signature Plastics.
2. Filco orders keycaps in huge quantities.
3. The Filco SA set is a fixed 104-key set with no novelties or extra keys for alternate layouts or other such nonsense.

If you were a large manufacturer who ordered millions of dollars of product from SP over the course of a 2 or 3 year purchasing contract, you'd get a nice discount too.

Offline lordlors

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 14:40:04 »
Thanks for the info! I'm very much ignorant in the ways of business-related things. Now I understand. I thought there was a difference of quality at least, Filco SA being of lesser quality. But it is solely a matter of quantity and sales. The keycap industry and market is really fascinating. Coming from a gaming background, it's my first time delving into a niche hobby such as customized mechanical keyboards.
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 July 2018, 15:47:21 by lordlors »