Author Topic: What is the best clicky light switch?  (Read 4321 times)

Offline Pavilions

What is the best clicky light switch?
« on: Tue, 18 September 2018, 20:59:10 »
I was thinking of trying the clicky switches for a change but I don't know which one to get? I have tried the cherry MX Blues but I don't like them that much? I read that Kailh has good switches but I really know nothing about the weight and other details, any help appreciated.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
Re: What is the best clicky light switch?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 18 September 2018, 22:07:45 »
Best clicky is not going to be found in the MX platform, you can try something with a click bar, but for a really nice experience you need to look into Alps or better still, buckling spring if you want a really nice clicky or tactile switch.

After what I have seen with Matias, I wouldn't recommend going that way, REALLY inconsistent and lots of ping from the springs. Buckling spring, just look for one known to work, they are pretty sturdy even after some abuse, but Alps, you want to find a nice one as they are fickle. If you start looking in to 2nd gen smk (Moneterey switch), be sure to get the absolutely nicest one you can find, as the only way I've seen to fix them if they feel bad is to use an ultra sonic cleaner.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline shem

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 19 September 2018, 14:23:11 »
I've seen several people say that Matias switches are unreliable. I'm puzzled by this, having had this Mini Tactile Pro in daily use for 6-7 years with NO problems. I like the feel and the noise.

In one server room I always use a Dell AT102 keyboard with original ALPS switches and love it. I've also seen people mention that they gum up easily and then feel horrible. This one has been in intermittent use since about 1999 and is still a delight to use.

Well, anecdotal data is all you are going to get anyway.
HHKB2 pro, IBM Ultranav(travel & normal), AT102W, VT220, IBM model M Space Saver, IBM model F AT, Matias Mini Tactile Pro, JD45

Offline abrahamstechnology

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 19 September 2018, 18:23:33 »
I refitted several AT101Ws with new switches directly from Matias and they are solid. I believe the people having issues have the older switches before Matias started gold plating the contacts, along with other improvements.

On the other hand, I tried Tai-Hao blue Alps clones, and they were so inconsistent, most of the switches would only click 50% of the time! They were so terrible, I think the AliExpress seller scammed me and sold me factory rejects or test switches that had already exceeded the 20 million testing lifecycle.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 19 September 2018, 19:34:10 »
They work fine, they just feel and sound inconsistent.
I bought individuals of click and quiet clicks and a whole keyboard, all have one gold and one copper contact.

The loose switches are consistent, soldered ones are not (I did not solder them).
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 19 September 2018, 21:00:31 »
I solder my boards with my own soldering station. Maybe the factory soldered them at too high of a temperature?

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 19 September 2018, 21:36:05 »
For LIGHT clicky switches, I'd say Montereys are a very solid choice.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 20 September 2018, 19:53:15 »
They work fine, they just feel and sound inconsistent.
I bought individuals of click and quiet clicks and a whole keyboard, all have one gold and one copper contact.

The loose switches are consistent, soldered ones are not (I did not solder them).

I actually experienced this with a few switches on the AT101W I just refitted tonight, it turns out that the electrical contacts got shoved up into the housing and actually broke on one switch. I replaced the switches and now the board is great, very consistent. I highly recommend Matias, just treat them with more care when soldering than Alps SKCM.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 20 September 2018, 20:59:00 »
Kailh speed bronze or box white are nice mx clickly and light switches. I have some old tooling box white I could sell you if you have PBT caps to use.  I wouldn’t rust putting abs caps on these, though.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 21 September 2018, 01:01:45 »
I actually experienced this with a few switches on the AT101W I just refitted tonight, it turns out that the electrical contacts got shoved up into the housing and actually broke on one switch. I replaced the switches and now the board is great, very consistent. I highly recommend Matias, just treat them with more care when soldering than Alps SKCM.
The problem I have with this is that I didn't solder them, it was done by a factory, and more importantly it shouldn't be that easy to mess up installing them. To me, that's a design flaw when manufacturers and end users can't install them without problems.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 21 September 2018, 06:31:29 »
I would also recommend SMK 2nd gen clicky switches. The clicky Alps-keycap compatible variant is the one referred to as "Montereys" (called so for a keyboard they were known for before they were identified as being from SMK).
Click is not too high (Alps) or too low (Buckling springs) or too lightly tactile (MX blue).

However they are not pin-compatible with anything else, and probably not manufactured since the '90s, so you can find them only in vintage keyboards. There might have been a small run of a DIY kit that was compatible but I don't know if it ever got off the ground.

Last weekend I picked up a cheap typewriter with light, clicky spring-over-dome-over-PCB switches that I quite liked. I could not get the modules opened but it appears to be similar to Fujitsu's Peerless mechanism.
This keyboard was also made by SMK and I have not found any info about it anywhere. Not keycap-compatible with anything else (that I know of) either. Key travel of 4 mm with a click event at 2.5 mm.

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 21 September 2018, 14:26:31 »
The problem I have with this is that I didn't solder them, it was done by a factory, and more importantly it shouldn't be that easy to mess up installing them. To me, that's a design flaw when manufacturers and end users can't install them without problems.

Which board was that? A Matias board or another manufacturer's board that used the Matias switches?

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 21 September 2018, 18:54:35 »
Which board was that? A Matias board or another manufacturer's board that used the Matias switches?
KBParadise v80.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 21 September 2018, 21:07:15 »
SMK "Monterey".

Matias Clicks are also one of the lighter clicky switches at 60g but their tactility is quite bonkers so prepare for that.

And MX Blues imo feel pretty good and are very light, problem is they sound like ass.

Offline ramblinrose

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 22 September 2018, 07:59:08 »
I'd say blue alps for sure! They're not as featherlight as some mentioned, but very smooth and great feel / sound. Compared to white alps they're lighter, and muuch smoother.