Author Topic: Chicony KB-5161 SKCM White Alps $40 + ~$25 shipping  (Read 20701 times)

Offline Rayndalf

Chicony KB-5161 SKCM White Alps $40 + ~$25 shipping
« on: Wed, 15 July 2020, 22:28:58 »
https://www.ebay.com/itm/303619420937?
I don't have nice things to say about white Alps, but some people like them and this looks fairly clean. They're accepting offers so it could be a decent deal for doubleshot Alps caps (though they are a bit thin).

Offline Maledicted

Re: Chicony KB-5161 SKCM White Alps $40 + ~$25 shipping
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 16 July 2020, 18:47:00 »
https://www.ebay.com/itm/303619420937?
I don't have nice things to say about white Alps, but some people like them and this looks fairly clean. They're accepting offers so it could be a decent deal for doubleshot Alps caps (though they are a bit thin).

About how old would you say the white Alps that you've tried were? I have two boards now that have relatively perfect white Alps that I think (hope) are both authentic. They both feel noticably different from each other, unless I'm misremembering. They both feel great to me compared to most modern switches. They had a lot of iterative changes, so they say that some of the earliest feel nearly as nice as blue Alps, and as the 90s progressed, they got worse and worse.

This is cool and all, but I just got an OmniKey 101 (one of the two with good condition white Alps) for a few bucks more than that a few weeks back.

Offline Rayndalf

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 16 July 2020, 20:07:40 »
I probably need to give some older white Alps a try, the ones I've tried are from around 2000.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 16 July 2020, 21:00:26 »
I probably need to give some older white Alps a try, the ones I've tried are from around 2000.

Oh, yes, you mostly likely haven't even tried SKCM white Alps then. Something made that late must almost certainly be SKBM/simplified white Alps. I do want to feel some of those myself to compare them against Matias. I have a hunch that Matias, even being a clone/modification of them, are probably much better.

That's a cool number pad though. You should swap some nicer switches in.  ;)

Offline Rayndalf

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 17 July 2020, 18:17:34 »
Alp's slow slide from best in industry to one of the worst is something of a tragedy.

I removed the leaf from one of my salmon Alps and was surprised to find that the loud thock was so much nicer than very faint leaf noise other linears make. I wonder why Alps even bothered making tactile switches (maybe the tactile bump is very dependent on condition) because they went from bad tactiles to excellent linears.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 18 July 2020, 15:10:04 »
Alp's slow slide from best in industry to one of the worst is something of a tragedy.

I removed the leaf from one of my salmon Alps and was surprised to find that the loud thock was so much nicer than very faint leaf noise other linears make. I wonder why Alps even bothered making tactile switches (maybe the tactile bump is very dependent on condition) because they went from bad tactiles to excellent linears.

I think a lot of people quite like tactile Alps switches, it just depends on the type. I'm not sure whether or not I have tried Salmons, if it was, it would have been very briefly on an old Apple board at a recycling facility. The guy I know there was specifically hoarding that one, so there wasn't any way I was going to bring it home. I have a brown Alps IBM nursing terminal board that, while currently scratchy, does seem to feel quite nice otherwise.

I could see Matias' tactiles being good if they did not have the dampened sliders. For some reason most of those feel pretty rough to me, although I have one board with them that's pretty well worn that feels pretty great (for tactiles anyway). Their linears, which have the same dampened slider in another color, are like butter, and their clickies are great too. If I put the undampened sliders from their clickies into the otherwise tactile switches, they feel nice and smooth. I don't get it.

Offline Rayndalf

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 21 July 2020, 19:37:48 »
Alps definitely work in mysterious ways. I tried bidding on one of those nursing terminals pretty recently. They use the 5140 keyboard module, right? I've only seen one that was missing the display, it'd be really cool to see the whole wall mounted(?) terminal.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 22 July 2020, 12:42:01 »
Alps definitely work in mysterious ways. I tried bidding on one of those nursing terminals pretty recently. They use the 5140 keyboard module, right? I've only seen one that was missing the display, it'd be really cool to see the whole wall mounted(?) terminal.

I do believe that it did. It certainly has an otherwise relatively pointless flat ribbon cable running to a separate controller. I haven't done my due diligence with that board yet.

I agree. Those terminals look cool as hell.