Author Topic: Looking for high quality ABS back lit black keycaps  (Read 3401 times)

Offline dman777

Looking for high quality ABS back lit black keycaps
« on: Wed, 29 September 2021, 13:29:50 »
I am looking for high quality ABS black back lit keycaps to replace my PBT back lit keycaps on my Ducky Shine 7. Can anyone recommend some that are high quality?

Offline MIGHTY CHICKEN

• buck buck, cluck cluck, squawk squawk
Re: Looking for high quality ABS back lit black keycaps
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 29 September 2021, 14:56:52 »
Thing is, with backlit, most custom sets don't do backlit and you're only real options will prolly be something from taihao

Online _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
Looking for high quality ABS back lit black keycaps
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 29 September 2021, 19:01:55 »
Generally “high quality” and “backlit” are an oxymoron. You might need to settle for an aliexpress or taihao clone

I’ve been trying to think of exceptions but am coming up short.
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 01 October 2021, 04:06:03 »
Ducky used to have some very good ABS backlit sets.

Although backlit ABS keycaps tend to wear over time so the legends end up as just big splodges of light on the keycaps.

PBT is better - any reason why you don't like the PBT ones?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline timw4mail

• https://timshomepage.net
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 01 October 2021, 10:16:48 »
These are PBT, but they are also double-shot, so they don't have the growing splotch of light issue: https://www.hyperxgaming.com/unitedstates/us/keyboards/keyboard-accessories/hyperx-pudding-keycaps

Buckling Springs IBM Model F AT, New Model F 77, Unicomp New Model M
Clicky iOne Scorpius M10, OCN-branded Ducky DK-9008-C, Blackmore Nocturna, Redragon Kumara K552-1, Qtronix Scorpius Keypad, Chicony KB-5181(Monterey)
Tactile Apple AEKII (Cream damped ALPS), Filco FKBN91M/JB (Japanese Tenkeyless), Cherry G84-5200, Cherry G84-4100LPAUS, Datalux Spacesaver(Cherry ML), Redragon Devarajas K556 RGB, Newmen GM711, Poker II (Cherry MX Clear), Logitech G910 Orion Spark, Logitech K840
Linear Lenovo Y (Gateron Red), Aluminum kiosk keyboard (Cherry MX Black)

Offline Topweasel

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 18 October 2021, 19:05:31 »
I can't think of a single ABS solution where it isn't just painted laser ablated caps.

Well sorry I take that back there are ones with broken lettering, like a 0 being () that are doubleshot ABS. I think there is something about the doubleshot process and the clear plastic they use for shinethrough that they tend to shy away from closed characters.

« Last Edit: Fri, 22 October 2021, 08:35:02 by Topweasel »

Offline dman777

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 12 February 2022, 12:44:03 »
Ducky used to have some very good ABS backlit sets.

Although backlit ABS keycaps tend to wear over time so the legends end up as just big splodges of light on the keycaps.

PBT is better - any reason why you don't like the PBT ones?

Yep, you are right about Ducky having good abs. I just like the smooth feel of abs.