Author Topic: Another thread about dyeing plastics  (Read 100947 times)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Another thread about dyeing plastics
« on: Wed, 25 April 2012, 10:44:30 »
I know that this dead horse has been beaten into the ground, but I am still perplexed and convinced that there has to be a way ......

PBT keycaps, such as those found on the Model M, can be dyed beautifully, as I finally proved. RIT dye powder, temperatures just under boiling, and waiting at least 10-20 minutes are required. RIT powder is getting harder and harder to find, and the liquid simply did not work, not at all, for me, anyway.

Now what I really want to do is to dye ABS keys, and, ultimately, an ABS case.

I know, I know, the case is a real challenge, but I know that I can make a tray out of heavy aluminum foil, and regulate the temperature in the oven pretty well with a cooking thermometer.

So the basic question is: if a person is careful enough, is it possible to dye ABS without damage, or is the required dye temperature simply higher than the plastic deform temperature?

The second choice would be a spray can dye, but I would rather do a soak if there is ANY way.
For the first time, the United States has been demoted to the status of "backsliding" democracy by a major global watchdog of such things. The International IDEA think tank made the change in its newest report, citing "declines in civil liberties" and other factors. The United States now joins troubled inching-towards-autocracy nations like Hungary and Poland — which, notably, have recently been celebrated by far-right pundits as potential models of what this nation should become.
We are still a democracy, but the things that make us a democracy are themselves under attack. International IDEA is blunt in pinning the blame where it belongs, calling Donald Trump's attacks on the legitimacy of the 2020 presidential election "a historic turning point." The Guardian quotes International IDEA Secretary General Kevin Casas-Zamora as he notes that "the increasing tendency to contest credible election results, the efforts to suppress participation (in elections), and the runaway polarization" are among the "most concerning developments," and that Trump's attempted nullification of the election with false claims of fraud “was soon replicated, in different ways, in places as diverse as Myanmar, Peru and Israel."
- The Guardian 2021-11-22