Author Topic: staroffice vs openoffice  (Read 3692 times)

Offline fkeidjn

staroffice vs openoffice
« on: Mon, 03 December 2007, 21:37:55 »
How different is StarOffice from OpenOffice?  I just want to know if it's worth investing in.
Kinesis Keypad - Filco FKBN104M/EB - Unitek space-saver - Acer 6511-TW - Apple Extended II (M3501) - Scorpius M10 - Cherry G80-1800, AT - SGI Granite - vintage Fujitsu - IBM Model M, 101 and mini - Model F, 84-key AT - Dell AT101W - Northgate 101

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
staroffice vs openoffice
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 05 December 2007, 13:29:13 »
Is there a demo you can try?

With office suites, if you like what you have don't bother switching. if you switch all the time you'll end up like me - I have a Frankenstein productivity set up:

Pages '08 - Word processor
Numbers - Spreadsheet / money
Photoshop CS3 - For Photoshopping
InDesgin CS3 - Document creation
PowerPoint (Mac '04) - Presentations for school

This "suite" cost me an embarrassing amount of money, but it is exactly what I need. Since it has no integration, I need to use some freebies to supplement it:

JView - photo viewer [way better than Preview]
Emacs - for bullying weird files open and for artifact-free text [you never think about that until you run into a problem and have to retype 54 pages :( ]
Quicksilver - App launcher, file opener

And this is not the perfect set up, nor is it a good set up for anyone except for me. Just try StarOffice, if you find a demo, I would be interested in trying it too.

Offline mr_sf_applet

staroffice vs openoffice
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 05 December 2007, 14:47:58 »
Quote from: xsphat
Is there a demo you can try?

Isn't StarOffice bundled with the Google Apps package?

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
staroffice vs openoffice
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 05 December 2007, 23:02:14 »
.I think thats Open Office.

Offline mr_sf_applet

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
staroffice vs openoffice
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 06 December 2007, 00:37:17 »
So they give it away for free when the site they link to charges $70 for it ...

Someone with [the nasty] better try this and find out what the catch is.

Offline fkeidjn

staroffice vs openoffice
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 06 December 2007, 01:40:06 »
According to the terms of use, GooglePack lets you use StarOffice for free if you agree to give them information for them to send outside of the country, or something like that:

Information collected by Google or Third Parties in connection with your use of the Software may be stored and processed in the United States or any other country in which Google, its agents, the Third Parties or their agents maintain facilities.  Accordingly, by using the Software you consent to any transfer of such information outside of your country.  You acknowledge and agree that Google and/or Third Parties may access, preserve, and disclose your account information if required to do so by law or in a good faith belief that such access preservation or disclosure is reasonably necessary to: (a) satisfy any applicable law, regulation, legal process or governmental request, (b) enforce these Terms and Conditions, including investigation of potential violations hereof, (c) detect, prevent, or otherwise address fraud, security or technical issues (including, without limitation, the filtering of spam), (d) respond to user support requests, or (e) protect the rights, property or safety of Google, its users, Third Parties, their users, and the public.  Neither Google nor any Third Party will be responsible or liable for the exercise or non-exercise of rights under these Terms and Conditions.

I use gmail, and I likely agreed to these terms, so by doing this, I'd be adding more insult to insult  :o
Kinesis Keypad - Filco FKBN104M/EB - Unitek space-saver - Acer 6511-TW - Apple Extended II (M3501) - Scorpius M10 - Cherry G80-1800, AT - SGI Granite - vintage Fujitsu - IBM Model M, 101 and mini - Model F, 84-key AT - Dell AT101W - Northgate 101

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
staroffice vs openoffice
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 06 December 2007, 08:09:56 »
Stick with OpenOffice.  It's *pretty much* the same thing...

If you run OS X, you owe it to yourself to check out NeoOffice.