Author Topic: Keycon West Organizational Thread  (Read 143923 times)

Offline HaaTa

• Master Kiibohd Hunter
  • Kiibohds!
    • http://kiibohd.com
Re: Keycon West Organizational Thread
« Reply #50 on: Tue, 17 June 2014, 22:19:39 »
Things that suck about 'murica
  • Drinking age
Kiibohd

ALWAYS looking for cool and interesting switches
I take requests for making keyboard converters (i.e. *old keyboard* to USB).

Offline obra

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #51 on: Thu, 19 June 2014, 15:25:18 »
I'm really bummed out. It looks like Kaia and I have an unavoidable conflict and won't be able to make it :/
But it looks like Mike, who's helping us out at Keyboardio will be coming.

If folks are still around SF on Tuesday, we'd totally love to meet up, though.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #52 on: Thu, 19 June 2014, 15:58:25 »
booooooooooo

i'll be around, but i think most out-of-towners are flying out sunday night.

speaking of out-of-tonwers, is everyone good on lodgings so far?

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #53 on: Thu, 19 June 2014, 16:18:12 »
This is where I say I'm not going, right?

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #54 on: Thu, 19 June 2014, 17:09:57 »
first i have to say YOU'RE NOT ALLOWED TO GO NYAAA

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline Smasher816

• HHKB Master
« Reply #55 on: Thu, 19 June 2014, 17:16:51 »
I'll be there through Tuesday but on campus for college orientation.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #56 on: Thu, 19 June 2014, 20:49:01 »
booooooooooo

i'll be around, but i think most out-of-towners are flying out sunday night.

speaking of out-of-tonwers, is everyone good on lodgings so far?

I do not have lodging secured yet.

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #57 on: Fri, 20 June 2014, 19:13:42 »
I'm really sorry if this has already been discussed, but there will be a stream of the July 12th/13th meetups, right? I really enjoyed watching the one last year!  ;D
Quote from: Photekq
i know people who think salt is spicy

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #58 on: Fri, 20 June 2014, 19:21:43 »
Also we need Cards Against Humanity.

I got it. Just the plain set, no expansions or anything. I can pack it if you want...
I have the base and a couple expansions and am in the Bay Area already if you don't want to carry the weight.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #59 on: Fri, 20 June 2014, 19:36:23 »
I'm really sorry if this has already been discussed, but there will be a stream of the July 12th/13th meetups, right? I really enjoyed watching the one last year!  ;D
it hasn't really been discussed properly, but yes, we're going to have an EPIC stream. there will be at least 3 cameras and two separate livestreams.

one of them will be a gopro on cptbadass's head.

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #60 on: Fri, 20 June 2014, 19:46:18 »
I will be coming +1ish on both days. If anyone arrives early on Friday and wants to go to the Computer History Museum let's figure out a time and I can lead a tour. Ideally we'd start by 1pm at the latest so we can see the Babbage engine demo.

I'll bring as much of my collection as I can carry. Maybe damieng is coming and can give me a lift. I have linear green Alps, a Minitouch, an Atreus, and some Duck boards as the collection highlights.

Edit?

I am a GitHubber, aside from bringing some Octocat stickers I won't really be there in "official" capacity but if someone wants a GitHub-related side event please let me know and I'll see what I can do. Maybe I'll bring some t-shirts to give to people with my favorite keyboards.
« Last Edit: Fri, 20 June 2014, 19:47:51 by nuclearsandwich »

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #61 on: Fri, 20 June 2014, 20:02:27 »
it hasn't really been discussed properly, but yes, we're going to have an EPIC stream. there will be at least 3 cameras and two separate livestreams.

WOW..next level live stream!
Quote from: Photekq
i know people who think salt is spicy

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #62 on: Fri, 20 June 2014, 20:40:45 »
I will be coming +1ish on both days. If anyone arrives early on Friday and wants to go to the Computer History Museum let's figure out a time and I can lead a tour. Ideally we'd start by 1pm at the latest so we can see the Babbage engine demo.

I'll bring as much of my collection as I can carry. Maybe damieng is coming and can give me a lift. I have linear green Alps, a Minitouch, an Atreus, and some Duck boards as the collection highlights.

Edit?

I am a GitHubber, aside from bringing some Octocat stickers I won't really be there in "official" capacity but if someone wants a GitHub-related side event please let me know and I'll see what I can do. Maybe I'll bring some t-shirts to give to people with my favorite keyboards.

I was just telling CPT the other day that while I'm there I HAVE to go to the Computer History Museum. That is my kind of place! This has to happen. I arrive early on Friday, and I'm planning on stopping by to see hashbaz at Pixar at some point, but scheduling a trip to the museum shouldn't be a problem for me at all.

Also, I would love some github swag!

KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Smasher816

• HHKB Master
« Reply #63 on: Fri, 20 June 2014, 21:09:27 »
Make sure you stop by the gift store at the computer history museum. There are some very nice android tshirts I picked up last time I was in Cali.

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #64 on: Fri, 20 June 2014, 21:22:35 »
Make sure you stop by the gift store at the computer history museum. There are some very nice android tshirts I picked up last time I was in Cali.

They're waaaay overpriced at CHM and the Google Stores. If you can get a Googler to use their discount on stuff. Also if there are any Googlers going to KeyCon y'all get half off your whole group's tickets at CHM and I want to talk to you. I can ply you with coffee.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #65 on: Fri, 20 June 2014, 22:09:04 »
afaik no one i know at google wants to be caught dead buying an android t-shirt

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #66 on: Fri, 20 June 2014, 22:36:43 »

Edit?

I was just telling CPT the other day that while I'm there I HAVE to go to the Computer History Museum. That is my kind of place! This has to happen. I arrive early on Friday, and I'm planning on stopping by to see hashbaz at Pixar at some point, but scheduling a trip to the museum shouldn't be a problem for me at all.

Mother. ****er. I knew I shouldve came in earlier :( :( :(.

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #67 on: Sat, 21 June 2014, 02:00:24 »

Edit?

Mother. ****er. I knew I shouldve came in earlier :( :( :(.

Are you hanging around after. I would literally go to that museum every day if I could afford it.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #68 on: Sat, 21 June 2014, 02:49:14 »
Unfortunately, I'm flying in late Friday night and leaving early Monday morning.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #69 on: Sat, 21 June 2014, 03:32:40 »

I'm not ok with appropriating a downtrodden minority's head for no profit into his own pocket. 

Say no to "voluntary" head cams on ice cream lovers.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #70 on: Sat, 21 June 2014, 09:25:54 »
HE CAN'T HELP IT IF HE LOVES ICE CREAM. IT'S NOT A CHOICE, HE WAS BORN THAT WAY.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #71 on: Sat, 21 June 2014, 09:27:49 »
CPTBadCam only happens if my following demand is met: We have ice cream time at 8 PM.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #72 on: Sat, 21 June 2014, 10:17:19 »
dinner will probably run until after 8pm, but we will have ice cream afterward. IT IS ONLY PROPER

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #73 on: Sat, 21 June 2014, 10:56:59 »
Unfortunately, I'm flying in late Friday night and leaving early Monday morning.

Next time Gadget!

Offline DamienG

• DamienG
« Reply #74 on: Sun, 22 June 2014, 19:13:54 »
If I'm still in the Bay area I'll be there.  Good chance I'll be moving tho.

[)amien

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #75 on: Sun, 22 June 2014, 19:36:15 »
Haata and I were talking and it seems that there's going to be at least four presentations for Saturday:

1) i3oilermaker unveiling Project Ravello
2) Haata and Massdrop unveiling their keyboard projects
3) Haata's talk on keycap sensing
4) Captain Badass' materials processing talk: learn more about injection molding, metals processing, and 3D printing.

Does anyone else want to present something?

I'll also be doing a raffle for a few items.
« Last Edit: Sun, 22 June 2014, 19:43:34 by CPTBadAss »

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #76 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 08:15:49 »
can anyone offer hoffman a place to stay for the weekend?

if all else fails, i think i can find him a place, but if you have a couch for him to crash on, it would be ideal

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #77 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 08:43:48 »
can anyone offer hoffman a place to stay for the weekend?

if all else fails, i think i can find him a place, but if you have a couch for him to crash on, it would be ideal

I reserved a hotel room with two beds, and I told Hoff he's welcome to stay with me.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #78 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 09:07:48 »
 :thumb:

PM me the hotel address jd

Offline ebacho

« Reply #79 on: Wed, 25 June 2014, 00:17:58 »
I think I'm going, though I might not stay the whole time since I have family in town.  I'll bring some boards since I'm local.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #80 on: Wed, 25 June 2014, 23:59:28 »
Hoooooly crap.  So, I'm bad at flights.  I don't fly often at all.

Does it seem normal that a typical two way flight would end up costing over $550??  (from MKE to SJC)  And that's with the super cheap option of Southwest's "Wanna get away" deal.  If I did a 'regular' flight it would be closer to a thousand.   :eek:

Is this typical?  I was expecting it to be, like...$300-400...

I mean, I'm still gonna go.  Cause why wouldn't I?  But I just don't want to get ripped off.

And yes I realize I'm getting tickets rather late, but unfortunately I didn't have a choice.  :(  I didn't know my vacation options until a few days ago and then due to a payment thing I didn't have money until now.  :(  And actually this is the price that the tickets have been for months, even though I thought they were cheaper.  Southwest apparently prices each direction separately.  Cause that makes sense for a two way flight...    :rolleyes:

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #81 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 00:10:53 »
I was thinking  about what to bring, but then I realized: most of my stuff HaaTa has anyway.

Maybe I'll just bring the skeldon along so people can compare american cases to korean ones. And I'll have something to type on instead of my laptop keyboard.

Oh and the US military alphameric. I don't think anyone else has one and is going.

Oh and those horrible clicky hall effect keyswitches. I'll definitely have to bring some of them.

Maybe some tripleshot hall effect keycaps, I'm not sure if anyone else has any.

I was considering bringing 4-5 Ms, so everyone can test them against eachother and feel the slight differences, but on my last roadtrip there was little interest.

Will all that fit in a carryon?

no worries about bringing keyboards if you're out of town. i can probably fit a 20th of haata's collection in the fiat XD
It all fit in a moving van, but he's acquired much more since then!

I will not bring my entire collection, even though I'm local...I'd need a uhaul...

I'll bring a large selection of rare stuff though :D

Maybe we can coordinate, you bring some, I bring some. I was thinking of bringing my first gen fujitsu leaf springs so people can compare to yours (much smoother than mine, which is not yet fully cleaned, etc.)

Hoooooly crap.  So, I'm bad at flights.  I don't fly often at all.

Does it seem normal that a typical two way flight would end up costing over $550??  (from MKE to SJC)  And that's with the super cheap option of Southwest's "Wanna get away" deal.  If I did a 'regular' flight it would be closer to a thousand.   :eek:

Is this typical?  I was expecting it to be, like...$300-400...

I mean, I'm still gonna go.  Cause why wouldn't I?  But I just don't want to get ripped off.

And yes I realize I'm getting tickets rather late, but unfortunately I didn't have a choice.  :(  I didn't know my vacation options until a few days ago and then due to a payment thing I didn't have money until now.  :(  And actually this is the price that the tickets have been for months, even though I thought they were cheaper.  Southwest apparently prices each direction separately.  Cause that makes sense for a two way flight...    :rolleyes:

~$500 sounds about right.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #82 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 00:11:33 »
Lucky you. My airfare alone was $820. Did you notice my sale? I still have some stuff available, if anyone wants to buy. :)

in memoriam

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #83 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 00:17:42 »
Okay.  :|   rip my wallet...   :'(

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #84 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 14:31:23 »
Will there be a soldering station there?

in memoriam

Offline HaaTa

• Master Kiibohd Hunter
  • Kiibohds!
    • http://kiibohd.com
Kiibohd

ALWAYS looking for cool and interesting switches
I take requests for making keyboard converters (i.e. *old keyboard* to USB).

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #86 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 15:28:34 »
Will there be a soldering station there?
i can bring my 2020

we can have a solder-off (well, on, but you know what i mean)

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #87 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 22:54:41 »
YOU GUYS I FINALLY BOUGHT MY TICKETS.  I will be arriving in OAK around noon on Friday, and departing from SJC around 4:00 pm on Sunday. 

:D

I'M SO EXCITED.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #88 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 13:53:06 »
YOU GUYS I FINALLY BOUGHT MY TICKETS.  I will be arriving in OAK around noon on Friday, and departing from SJC around 4:00 pm on Sunday. 

:D

I'M SO EXCITED.
So excited!!!

I'm writing up stuff already.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #89 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 14:18:18 »
Man...you guys may be flying out of really small markets or the prices have gone up way faster than I expected. I paid $400ish for my flight to SFO.

Dorkvader, I think you could bring up to 4 keyboards if you don't need a lot of clothing.

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #90 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 15:02:07 »
DamienG (pizza-on-head) you GOTTA show, just GOTTA!

CHM is an interesting place, the Babbage steals the show in my opinion, but I have not seen it operate other than on video.

Sounds like this is a late Fri pm-late Sun/Mon deal for most people at this point…HOW NIFTY IS THAT SHIZZ? ??? ?

I work out of town these days but will be attending the 60 HOUR KEYBOARD FESTIVAL in it's entirety. Look forward to meeting more GHers, maybe seeing a few new places, and tons of keyboards. Plus, I need to get my GH tshirts from CPTBadAss so I can post pic of gf wearing hers.

* * * Maybe send a GH email blast about Keycon in case anyone has missed the announcements? * * *
« Last Edit: Fri, 27 June 2014, 15:04:18 by Input Nirvana »
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline Lingj

« Reply #91 on: Sun, 29 June 2014, 14:52:55 »
I am fairly new to the community but it looks like I will also be going to Keycon from Florida!! Super excited. The only issue is that I haven't found any sort of transportation nor lodging as of yet. If anyone could lend me a hand or point me in the right direction I'd greatly appreciate it.

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #92 on: Sun, 29 June 2014, 15:53:40 »

I am fairly new to the community but it looks like I will also be going to Keycon from Florida!! Super excited. The only issue is that I haven't found any sort of transportation nor lodging as of yet. If anyone could lend me a hand or point me in the right direction I'd greatly appreciate it.

Where are you at in Florida?

Stay as close to Keycon as possible so transpo is not an issue or coordinate to stay near peeps going (carpool)
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  

Offline Lingj

« Reply #93 on: Sun, 29 June 2014, 16:07:04 »

Stay as close to Keycon as possible so transpo is not an issue or coordinate to stay near peeps going (carpool)

I am in Orlando and I'll be flying into SFO at 2:00pm. I'm hoping that someone is arriving around that time so we can work something out.

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #94 on: Sun, 29 June 2014, 18:07:18 »

I am in Orlando and I'll be flying into SFO at 2:00pm. I'm hoping that someone is arriving around that time so we can work something out.

2:00pm Friday? Saturday? When fly out?

Offline Lingj

« Reply #95 on: Sun, 29 June 2014, 18:09:28 »

2:00pm Friday? Saturday? When fly out?

2:00pm Friday and I leave Sunday at 10:30pm at SFO

Offline EvilHMB

« Reply #96 on: Tue, 01 July 2014, 01:48:22 »
i'm going since i live like a city over! and possibly bring 3 friends :]

DasKeyboard4Professional   KBTalking Pro              HHKB Professional
( Blue Switches)                  ( Red Switches)

Offline V1ral

« Reply #97 on: Tue, 01 July 2014, 13:22:34 »
I'll be going! And hopefully dragging my boyfriend with me, along with maybe 1-3 other friends!

I don't have anything particularly interesting to bring, unless anyone wants to see a rainbow of Binge lions. I'd offer to bring baked goodies, but I'm not sure if there would be any food safety issues. And, yanno, keyboards don't always mix well with cookies, cake, and pie. :P

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #98 on: Tue, 01 July 2014, 14:06:47 »
Please bring baked goods omg. If y'all don't know, GH meetups are always about food first and keyboards second...or maybe that's if I'm involved :P

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #99 on: Tue, 01 July 2014, 14:08:38 »
Um, yeah. Baked goods > keyboards. :))

in memoriam