Author Topic: KBParadise V60MTS (Matias switches) In Bound @ MechanicalKeyboards.com  (Read 103477 times)

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
Re: KBParadise V60MTS (Matias switches) In Bound @ MechanicalKeyboards.com
« Reply #50 on: Tue, 04 November 2014, 22:56:25 »
Looks like its time to disassemble the whole board and mod the plate for some plate mount cherry/costar stabs  :thumb:
Why would you want to do that? All the nice old Alps keycaps use standard Alps-style stabilizers. If you mod the plate to use Costar-style stabilizers, you’ll be stuck with either really crappy keycaps or else an absurdly expensive one-off set from SP.

You can look at it that way.  Are there many old Alps boards that use the 2.75x right shift and ANSI enter?  Also, what about the bottom row, very few old boards that use ANSI 1.25 from what I have seen (I still consider myself new to this hobby though). 
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #51 on: Tue, 04 November 2014, 23:01:29 »
You can look at it that way.  Are there many old Alps boards that use the 2.75x right shift and ANSI enter?  Also, what about the bottom row, very few old boards that use ANSI 1.25 from what I have seen (I still consider myself new to this hobby though).
You’ll probably need to mix and match a few different sets of old keycaps to fill up that keyboard, unless you’re happy with e.g. the keycaps on an Dell AT101W (not the nicest). Windows keys came into fashion after quality had already started to decline across pretty much all types of keyboards. If your new 60% board had a 1.5 / 1/ 1.5 / 7 / 1.5 / 1 / 1.5 (the so-called "Tsangan" layout) then you’d have much better choices. There are several nice Alps-switch keyboards with 101-key ANSI layout.
« Last Edit: Tue, 04 November 2014, 23:04:31 by jacobolus »

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #52 on: Tue, 04 November 2014, 23:30:11 »
A fair number of boards use a 2.75x right shift and ANSI enter.

Dell AT101 and AT101W, SGI "Granite", Apple Extended series (slightly different keycap profile)

If you use the Costar stabilizer board clips,  and file down the plastic leg that doesn't attach to anything, you can attach the ALPS-style wire to them and use ALPS-stabilized caps, or the Costat-style wire and use Costar-stabilized caps.  It may even be possible to do it with the ALPS-style clips and the different wires; haven't trried that option yet.,
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #53 on: Wed, 05 November 2014, 00:45:18 »
A fair number of boards use a 2.75x right shift and ANSI enter.

Dell AT101 and AT101W, SGI "Granite", Apple Extended series (slightly different keycap profile)

If you use the Costar stabilizer board clips,  and file down the plastic leg that doesn't attach to anything, you can attach the ALPS-style wire to them and use ALPS-stabilized caps, or the Costat-style wire and use Costar-stabilized caps.  It may even be possible to do it with the ALPS-style clips and the different wires; haven't trried that option yet.,

Cool.  Good to know there are so many good options.  I was thinking about that for the stabilizer clips, but wasn't sure as I don't have a board with those, only costar. 
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline Matias

• http://matias.ca
« Reply #54 on: Wed, 05 November 2014, 06:28:36 »

I'm also wondering how replacement spacebars are going to pan out.

If you're looking for White replacement spacebars, they are already made and in transit.  We should have them in a week or two.

Offline dante

« Reply #55 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 21:30:55 »

If the above video does not show up on the forum use this link instead.

Hardcorereview review here.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #56 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 21:58:31 »
Oh man I want a quiet version so bad. I love that it has costar stabs! My fav.. Nice its a dark grey for quiet? I like that.. I don't have the funds though, but one day.

Offline dante

« Reply #57 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 22:06:47 »
A KBParadise associate stated they will contact Matias to try to acquire the new dampened linear Alps switch for another V60 board.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #58 on: Fri, 21 November 2014, 00:59:28 »
Got to try one of these today for a few minutes. Nice compact keyboard. Matias quiet switches are great, as always. The keycaps aren’t anything special but they do the job. The case is nice and slim around the edges, but I do wish the bottom were more compact and flat with flip-down feet instead of angled. The whole keyboard is extremely light, I was reminded of an HHKB. Seems like it would be a pretty effective travel keyboard.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #59 on: Tue, 25 November 2014, 12:23:06 »
Just saw the group buy pop up on Massdrop for these.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/v60-matias-mini-keyboard?mode=guest_open

At 30 units, the price is only $89.99.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline mougrim

« Reply #60 on: Tue, 25 November 2014, 16:06:24 »
Just saw the group buy pop up on Massdrop for these.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/v60-matias-mini-keyboard?mode=guest_open

At 30 units, the price is only $89.99.

Yeah... And I'm seriously thinking about buying it.

Anyone knows if those caps can be lasered? I need cyrillic letters on them...
IBM AT Model F, Vortexgear Race 3, AEKII (Alps Cream Damped), Metoo Zero (modded to Kailh Box Navy)

Offline dante

« Reply #61 on: Tue, 25 November 2014, 18:14:49 »
Occasionally there are Alps boards on ebay from the UK that have Cyrillic on them.  Maybe you can contact the seller and negotiate a cheaper price for the caps.

Offline mougrim

« Reply #62 on: Wed, 26 November 2014, 02:06:09 »
Occasionally there are Alps boards on ebay from the UK that have Cyrillic on them.  Maybe you can contact the seller and negotiate a cheaper price for the caps.

Hmm, it's worth looking into. But lasering will be about 15 bucks... But, again, it will be engraving, not filling. I know it looks pretty nice on white keycaps, but on black...
IBM AT Model F, Vortexgear Race 3, AEKII (Alps Cream Damped), Metoo Zero (modded to Kailh Box Navy)

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #63 on: Tue, 06 January 2015, 19:14:58 »
I got one of each: V60MTS-C and V60MTS-Q. I like them both just about equally well, with some preference for the Click version because I like the aural feedback in addition to the tactile feedback. Using Karabiner software for the Mac, I have remapped my V60s to a Mac/HHKB layout.

I much prefer either Matias switch to any Cherry mx switch. Not only that, I like Matias switches about as well as my previous favorites: IBM capacitive buckling spring (Model F), Topre 55g, and Topre 45g.

I've replaced the modifiers on each board with caps from Dell AT101W boards. I've replaced the alphas on the V60MTS-Q with doubleshots from a Suntouch Jr., and I've swapped the alphas on the V60MTS-C with dye-sub PBT caps from an IBM 5140. You can also get dye-sub PBT caps from Acer 6311 boards.

Matias will soon be selling keycaps on their site, including 1.25x modifiers and spacebars in either black or white. I plan to get blank black mods and put dye-sub PBT alphas harvested from vintage boards on both V60s.