Author Topic: [SOLD] IBM Model M Class B Restoration, USB Soarer, Underkey Lock LEDS $99  (Read 5647 times)

Offline ezrahilyer

http://www.ebay.com/itm/IBM-Model-M-Mechanical-Keyboard-Restored-USB-Soarer-Clicky-Underkey-Lock-LEDS-/331410787260?

Another Model M. This time a terminal 101 variant. I have put Blue Lock LEDS under the keys.

Class B

I am breaking my boards down into 3 classes, and 3 prices:

This is a Class B Restoration. $99 This is a table highlighting the major differences between Class B, A, and A+, but a good rule of thumb would be that Class B restorations will show some signs of wear on the keycaps, and/or case, but are still cleaned and in great shape, but some minor surface flaws will be evident. Class B restorations have individual rivet replacements, so any broken rivets are drilled out and replaced, but a full rivet replacement was not done, and the plate has not been disassembled. Comes with a regular USB Cable

A Class A $125 is nearly perfect, has a full rivet replacement, and membrane cleaning. Comes With A Premium Braided USB Cable

A Class A+ $150 Is simply perfect. It has a full rivet replacement, and has no flaws visible, and could easily be mistaken for a New-In-Box keyboard. It also has a special extra little finish cover for the Flush-Mount USB. Comes With A Premium Braided USB Cable

If you are looking for a custom Model M, or different Color LEDs or whatever, just send me a message and I can probably make one for you.

PM on this for a Geekhack Deal
« Last Edit: Sun, 28 December 2014, 14:04:30 by ezrahilyer »

Offline ezrahilyer

Re: IBM Model M Class B Restoration, USB Soarer, Underkey Lock LEDS $99
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 09 December 2014, 12:34:26 »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 09 December 2014, 16:31:58 »
Cool.

I recommend adding a "secret key" awakening service when you do a full bolt mod. The price is probably trivial except that you might end up ordering keys from Unicomp.

I know that some people like the small Left Shift so that a Windows key can be added between LS and "Z"
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline kalrand

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 09 December 2014, 16:44:29 »

I know that some people like the small Left Shift so that a Windows key can be added between LS and "Z"

Do people actually like that key? It drives me nuts since I keep hitting it accidentally.

Then again, I do like the vertical enter, and hate the oversized \ key. Hmm...
My 122 key Model M was born on July 25th, 1988.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 09 December 2014, 17:58:59 »

Do people actually like that key? It drives me nuts since I keep hitting it accidentally.

I hadn't thought of it before, but it's a good compromise to modernise a classic layout board with a Windows key.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 09 December 2014, 18:53:47 »

Then again, I do like the vertical enter,

Personally, numpad Enter is one of the most-used keys on my board.

But numpad + can become 2 keys very easily.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline ezrahilyer

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 09 December 2014, 19:04:11 »
Cool.

I recommend adding a "secret key" awakening service when you do a full bolt mod. The price is probably trivial except that you might end up ordering keys from Unicomp.

I have been doing ANSI conversions on Model M 122s a lot, so I have about 6 or 7 of those short left shift keys, but that is essentially going back to ISO, and I myself atleast would find a windows key between 'shift' and 'Z' very very annoying. I had a M122 in ISO as my daily driver for about 6 months before I started doing these mods for other people, and that stupid short shift drove me nuts!

I can't imagine having the start menu popping up in the middle os my typing. lol

That said, I have had a few people ask me to map the far right control key to a windows key, that way they had one when needed, but that is one of the least used keys for most people, so it made a good choice atleast for them.

Another choice might be to drop the 2u sized backspace and replace with a windows key, and a 1u backspace.
Then again some people would hate that just as much.

I have had questions about doing ANSI shift keys, but leaving the vertical enter key, so there is an idea there too.

The nice thing about doing these as full bolt-mods (though the 'B' class boards like this one don't get one) is that I can move hammers and keys around at will.
I just did a Model M 122 for my own use that has the Num-pad broken down into a 4x5 Matrix.

Offline kalrand

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 09 December 2014, 23:07:51 »
Just kind of for my own information, but I may as well ask it here so other people can see it, but would there be a discount for not needing keycaps?

I assume you'd want to send it with your own stems so that you knew the hammers and springs were aligned when you mailed it.
My 122 key Model M was born on July 25th, 1988.

Offline JinDesu

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 09 December 2014, 23:25:06 »
Definitely going to keep an eye out for your A class mods.
Someday somebody will best me, but it won't be today, and it won't be you.

Proud owner of a Filco Majestouch Cherry MX Blue Tenkeyless, KBT Race S, & Realforce 101

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 10 December 2014, 09:06:55 »

would there be a discount for not needing keycaps?

Unicomp's red, green, and blue alert sets are awesome, if a bit pricey.

And remember, they do not include a space bar.
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline ezrahilyer

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 10 December 2014, 09:24:26 »
Just kind of for my own information, but I may as well ask it here so other people can see it, but would there be a discount for not needing keycaps?

I assume you'd want to send it with your own stems so that you knew the hammers and springs were aligned when you mailed it.

I would discount the price by $15 for no keycaps or space-bar, only stems in-place.

I would probably ship with a stem in-place for all key positions (even the space-bar) knowing that you would remove the ones that have 2u keys in their place, because the bubble wrap I use would catch on the springs if I left the springs exposed.

So the short answer is yes, I would sell them without keycaps for a discount.

I have been thinking of getting a few blank sets from Unicomp to offer as an option, but haven't yet.

I have a site I am working on that I will use for my products, when I get it done.

I am also getting ready to sell bolt-mod kits that would include the screws/washers and a drill-bit.

I also want to sell ANSI to ISO kits, and ISO to ANSI kits, I have a few ANSI to ISO kits ready, but need more stock for the other direction since I use a lot of those myself.

Offline ezrahilyer

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 10 December 2014, 09:28:07 »
Definitely going to keep an eye out for your A class mods.

I should have another 'Class A+' Ready later today, it is an white label 1987 1391401

I expect to have a 'Class A' ready later this week also.

I am doing another full backlit one as well, but I haven't posted the pictures yet, I am making a guide so other people can do it themselves.

Offline ezrahilyer

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 10 December 2014, 09:30:25 »
Cool.

Were these separate thoughts? Did you mean the secret key would be the windows key between the short left shift and the 'Z' key? Or did you mean adding another user defined key somewhere else?

Or did you mean the secret data-locker idea that we talked about?
« Last Edit: Wed, 10 December 2014, 10:42:07 by ezrahilyer »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 10 December 2014, 19:27:27 »

Or did you mean adding another user defined key somewhere else?

IBM used the same matrices for all their variants. Almost all the keys that are 2x or larger have unused barrels that can be populated with springs and activated.

because the bubble wrap I use would catch on the springs if I left the springs exposed.

Catching those pesky spring tops is a major nuisance.
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 12 December 2014, 12:53:44 »
I am relieved that you came this late to geekhack, Ezra.

If you had shown up when I was still using Model Ms, you would have made me very happy with your modded keyboards and I would have remained satisfied and within my Model M comfort zone that I had been living in for decades. I would have gotten you to mod a keyboard to all secret keys, I would have been at a very high level of satisfaction and remained lazy and not looked further afield.

Now that I have been doing my own modding I have settled on matrix keyboards as the way to go. I watch your work with awe and more than a little envy, but I can no longer imagine myself using space bars willingly (of course I still have to use space bars whenever I use another keyboard away from my desk).

On a separate note, have you ever tried to add new cherry MX keys or mouse keys to your Model Ms?
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 13 December 2014, 08:54:31 »

I would discount the price by $15 for no keycaps or space-bar, only stems in-place.

I would probably ship with a stem in-place for all key positions (even the space-bar) knowing that you would remove the ones that have 2u keys in their place, because the bubble wrap I use would catch on the springs if I left the springs exposed.

So the short answer is yes, I would sell them without keycaps for a discount.

I have been thinking of getting a few blank sets from Unicomp to offer as an option, but haven't yet.

I have a site I am working on that I will use for my products, when I get it done.

I am also getting ready to sell bolt-mod kits that would include the screws/washers and a drill-bit.

I also want to sell ANSI to ISO kits, and ISO to ANSI kits, I have a few ANSI to ISO kits ready, but need more stock for the other direction since I use a lot of those myself.

Cool, you are doing a great job with these.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline Touch_It

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 22 December 2014, 20:00:11 »
I find it hard to believe it hasn't sold.  The thing looks beautiful IMO.  If I was made of money I'd buy it but alas I'm not, so I get stuck staring at this keyboard until someone buys it :D

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline faceyourfaces

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 22 December 2014, 20:16:24 »
I find it hard to believe it hasn't sold.  The thing looks beautiful IMO.  If I was made of money I'd buy it but alas I'm not, so I get stuck staring at this keyboard until someone buys it :D

I really, really, really want to buy this but I'd feel guilty doing so because I can't imagine any other keyboard getting nearly as much use as my Model F.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 22 December 2014, 21:25:44 »
because I can't imagine any other keyboard getting nearly as much use as my Model F.

Yep, you get totally spoiled for anything else.
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline ezrahilyer

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 22 December 2014, 22:28:43 »

I really, really, really want to buy this but I'd feel guilty doing so because I can't imagine any other keyboard getting nearly as much use as my Model F.

As odd as it might seem, the ones I do that are priced at $99 or $115 seem to take a lot longer to sell than the A or A+ restorations, maybe because I discount the price because there is something that keeps them from being 'top tier restorations' that people want the best or nothing, or it could be that this is a terminal Model M, and perhaps more people want the classic 1391401 instead of the terminal model. (not that it makes a difference as far as usability is concerned when the Soarer is installed)

I also don't know how people will take the under-key LED indicators. I had two of these listed one with the underkey LEDs and one without, and the one without sold a few days ago, and you can see that this one is still listed. They were listed at the same price and they were both the same Terminal Model M 101 keyboard, so I wonder if adding these non-standard LEDs is a detraction to the restoration job rather than a plus.

It could also be that its a week from christmas, and so people are all 'spent out'. I am not worried about it, I have had no trouble selling my restorations, and I am sure someone will get it :-)

As to Model Fs, I have been trying to get a few of those in to do internal Soarers converters, but I have been also trying to get M122s, and have been having trouble getting enough of those to satisfy demand. (I have 2 people on a waiting list for an ANSI M122) Once I get some of those, I will start in on some Model Fs.

It seems there is always something to do!
:-)
-Ezra

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 23 December 2014, 08:36:51 »

more people want the classic 1391401 instead of the terminal model.

I also don't know how people will take the under-key LED indicators.

As to Model Fs, I have been trying to get a few of those in to do internal Soarers converters,

My guess is that the people who are looking for a Model M above and beyond "stock" want something really "impressive" and that after you cross the $100 threshold a few extra tens of dollars do not matter so much.

I recommend that you build black label (aka white label aka beige label aka gray label) 1391401s (or my preference, 1390131) into your top-shelf offerings, and do anything custom or "different" to the blue labels. Maybe even see what Unicomp charges for black cases - if that is not too bad then you could probably make it up.

As to the LEDs, personally, I like standard LEDs and that is why I have never bought a 1390120, even though it is "everything else that I like" with the heavier wiring and plate, etc, and even, sometimes, the "bar-code" Model F-style labels!

Once you get into Model Fs it is a whole different world. I concentrate on the 122-key terminals because I like to replicate standard ANSI layout as much as possible, but unless you can buy them for <$100 and sell them for >$200 it is probably not worth it. They are far more complicated and fussy than Ms.

I don't know how far you live from wcass, but there are probably several people who would gladly pay you to build XTants for them.
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline ezrahilyer

« Reply #21 on: Sun, 28 December 2014, 14:04:07 »
Sold

Offline Touch_It

Re: [SOLD] IBM Model M Class B Restoration, USB Soarer, Underkey Lock LEDS $99
« Reply #22 on: Sun, 28 December 2014, 14:05:22 »
Oh, nice.  If you don't mind me asking, is it someone on the forums, or elsewhere?

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline ezrahilyer

« Reply #23 on: Sun, 28 December 2014, 16:59:31 »
I sold this one on eBay, I don't know yet if the eBay member is also on here or on DH. Could be a member, or a lurker, or maybe just someone from Ebay.

I sold the Apple ALPS one today also, but that was to a DH member who is going to have me make a few extra modifications to it before I ship it out.

This has been a busy busy christmas season for me, and I am behind on my keyboards so hopefully this week and next I can get caught back up again!

-ezra

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 29 December 2014, 07:38:40 »
is it someone on the forums?

I think that most people who use GH and DT know that they can usually save 5%-10% on a direct sale that avoids ebay.
- Jimmy Carter 2015