Author Topic: Creating a new Model M SSK case model for 3D printing/CNC-ing  (Read 7261 times)

Offline wyatt8740

• Machine code enthusiast
Hey, I'm designing a new case based on the Model M SSK.
I'm not trying to exactly recreate the original shell as of now, but I want to get somewhat close.

The idea is that I can fold over a 101 key M's membrane and be left with an SSK at a fraction of the cost.
Also, I'm in the early stages (I have drawings of the bottom half of the shell complete), and I'm wondering if anyone has the gerber files for the F SSK PCB.

Apparently, they originally were here, but I can't find the dang things anywhere now! I have a 3178 87-key board I can use for springs/flippers and take this to the next level, while still staying compatible with membrane SSK adaptations so others can still use the case models.

I'm heading out for a moment, but here's a little bit slice of life of my desk right now so you get an idea. I mostly hang out on the Geekhack and deskthority IRC channels, so that's the fastest place to reach me, but I'll try to keep you posted here.

I'll upload the models as I get done digitizing them!
« Last Edit: Tue, 02 July 2019, 23:14:52 by wyatt8740 »
I don't usually collect things, but when I do, they're from the 70's, 80's, and 90's. My typing speed: 79 WPM
IBM Model M 1386303, 1987 / IBM Model M 1391401, 1993 / IBM Model M 59G7980, 1993 / Unicomp "Mini M" UT40E7A (modded), 2021 / Dell AT101W, 1994 (Black Alps) / Apple Extended Keyboard (Orange Alps), 1987 / Sun Type 5, unknown year (Rubber Dome)

Offline EMC Labs

Re: Creating a new Model M SSK case model for 3D printing/CNC-ing
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 03 July 2019, 03:45:32 »
Very interesting! I will definitely follow this project, sounds exciting.

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 03 July 2019, 09:31:00 »
I did that here, a bit rougher:  https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=42319   Never got back to cleaning up the case, and I still use this board today.

And while I originally did fold over the membranes, that didn't last long.  In the end I simply cut them and rewired the few traces that were cut with foil tape.
Daily driver: SSK or Tenkeyless IBM AT
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets

Offline EMC Labs

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 03 July 2019, 18:38:34 »
I did that here, a bit rougher:  https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=42319   Never got back to cleaning up the case, and I still use this board today.

And while I originally did fold over the membranes, that didn't last long.  In the end I simply cut them and rewired the few traces that were cut with foil tape.

The board you made looked really cool! How come you went you black around the keys? I would've thought keeping consistent with the green would make the board look "cleaner".

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 03 July 2019, 20:51:18 »
The board you made looked really cool! How come you went you black around the keys? I would've thought keeping consistent with the green would make the board look "cleaner".

I liked the two-tone effect.
Daily driver: SSK or Tenkeyless IBM AT
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets