Author Topic: What are you watching? The thread about what you're watching.  (Read 383305 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: What are you watching? The thread about what you're watching.
« Reply #1050 on: Sat, 15 May 2021, 08:25:11 »
Just watched Mortal Kombat and I thought it was fun for what it was. They did a good job with a girth of material and a limited budget bringing scope to something that was shot in a focused way. The film really seemed like groundwork for a franchise

I don't think they got their money's worth on $50 million.

They'd have to get much better writers for another one. Problem right now is probably none of the actors were memorable enough that people'd care to see them again.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #1051 on: Sat, 15 May 2021, 14:04:47 »
Just watched Mortal Kombat and I thought it was fun for what it was. They did a good job with a girth of material and a limited budget bringing scope to something that was shot in a focused way. The film really seemed like groundwork for a franchise

I don't think they got their money's worth on $50 million.

They'd have to get much better writers for another one. Problem right now is probably none of the actors were memorable enough that people'd care to see them again.

Yes none of the survivors stand out, but that's why they can cycle in other characters for future films. I feel like they'd almost have to go with a known actor for Johnny Cage for that very reason, probably bring in Katana and Shao Khan(who's big enough to play him?)as well. The main group is just ripped good looking people who can fight, and I'd hope a tighter script would make it seem like they are acting better. Or just have way more fighting :))
They obviously blew the entire $50mil on sfx, he fought Goro at night for a reason.
« Last Edit: Sat, 15 May 2021, 14:06:20 by noisyturtle »

Offline alertArchitect

• Genderless Void
« Reply #1052 on: Mon, 17 May 2021, 09:08:31 »
The only real problem I had with MK is that when I think of Mortal Kombat, I think of the in-lore tournament that decides the fate of literal worlds, and iirc there wasn't even anything hinting at that in the movie, but that's more of a nitpick of me expecting them to first cater to people who played the games over the general audience. But to be fair, I was going in with an, admittedly, over-critical eye after the travesty that was the Monster Hunter movie.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1053 on: Mon, 17 May 2021, 09:21:00 »
The only real problem I had with MK is that when I think of Mortal Kombat, I think of the in-lore tournament that decides the fate of literal worlds, and iirc there wasn't even anything hinting at that in the movie, but that's more of a nitpick of me expecting them to first cater to people who played the games over the general audience. But to be fair, I was going in with an, admittedly, over-critical eye after the travesty that was the Monster Hunter movie.

We're at a point where it's getting too expensive to include plot.

Offline alertArchitect

• Genderless Void
« Reply #1054 on: Mon, 17 May 2021, 13:43:17 »

We're at a point where it's getting too expensive to include plot.

True, especially with the bad reputation video game movies have. And even though they're improving, there's still the fact that video game movies are incredibly hit-and-miss. For example, I liked Warcraft. Thought it was a decent enough movie for what it was, even knowing the lore of the world and seeing some of the minor inaccuracies they had. It was a fun movie that followed the plot of Orcs & Humans, which is great because not many people are going to play a DOS RTS to get the story, then go through the 2 sequels and the lore of the MMORPG to parse through all of the retcons that came after.

But then compare that to a movie that felt like a personal insult to the fans, Monster Hunter. I get that it was trying to follow it's own story, that's fine. The stories in MH games are usually pretty damn bare-bones, essentially just being reasons to say "Hey, go hunt that big dragon!" And that's not always workable into a movie unless you're making a Kaiju flick, which they weren't really going for. But the amount of things that the movie just ignored or got completely wrong to an absurd degree, is staggering. Spoilers for a bad movie that I'm angry about ahead.

For example, the film treats Black Diablos like a "play with its prey" cat-and-mouse kinda thing, but Diablos are very specifically a species of herbivores, and Black Diablos are territorial because they are female Diablos in heat. The biggest threat in the movie is a stampede of herbivores, Aptonoth that might as well not even be capable of doing damage in game because they're basically dinosaur cows that hunters farm for raw meat. Then, there's the whole thing with the damn Switch Axe the Admiral uses. The film completely ignores how the weapon functions in-game, and by extension in-lore, except that it has an axe mode and a sword mode. They treat it like a sword-shaped flamethrower, which doesn't even slightly line up with how the weapon functions. As someone who actually mains that weapon, it's infuriating to see one of my favorite things in the series treated so poorly. Anyway, rant over, back to the point.

So yeah, I understand why MK went the route of being a little bare-bones by comparison. Less to mess up, and more of the fighting which is kinda the main point of the movie. I just hope they continue and show more of the actual lore from the games, because it's legitimately pretty interesting and I would hate to see that squandered.

Offline Nakeman

• https://luckycanadian.com/
« Reply #1055 on: Thu, 20 May 2021, 09:02:46 »
Rewatching Heat with De Niro and Pacino for 4th time... xd

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1056 on: Thu, 20 May 2021, 09:44:27 »
Rewatched, Chaos Walking...

If it weren't for the plot holes,   it'd be considered a really well made movie.  Cinematography is spot on.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1057 on: Thu, 20 May 2021, 10:25:14 »
Rewatching Heat with De Niro and Pacino for 4th time... xd
It's worth a 5th as well.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Zytin

• Henlo :p
« Reply #1058 on: Thu, 20 May 2021, 20:03:06 »
Just watching random youtube videos since I have nothing else to watch. I just finished watching Black Butler last week though, p good show

Offline hottrout

• I'd Hit Dat Key
« Reply #1059 on: Mon, 24 May 2021, 04:32:52 »
Just re-watched Breaking Bad from the start again.  Such a great series, better than just about anything else made before or since.  I urge anyone who as not watched it (is there anyone?) to make sure you do, you won't regret it.
Current Daily Driver : Virgo - Ultramarine - Standard Lube  |  WTB : Topre Realforce Hi-Pro, please PM me if you have one for sale.

Systems -
More
Work |i9-7940x@4.8ghz|32GB(3600)|STRIX-RTX3090Ti|Bespoke Water, 360m Rad|X299 Prime Deluxe|EK x299 Monoblock|Optane 900p|2x1TB 960 Pro|2x10TB Helium|Dell U3415W + Dell UP2116Q
Home |i9-13900ks|32GB(7300)|Rog RTX 4090|Asus Z790 Rog Maximus Hero|Torrent Air|2TB 990 Pro|2TB 990 Pro|Dell AW3423DW QOLED|NEC MultiSync|Drobo16TB
Mining |i5-7500|16GB(2400)|H110 Pro BTC+|8x1080Ti|2x1650Watt PSU

Plus 40 years of collecting retro computers, consoles, games, peripherals, mainframes and mini's as well as their software, keyboards, games and manuals. 100's of systems including every Amiga model made
  Keyboards -
More
IBM 3101 | IBM 3276 | IBM 5150 | IBM ModelM | Dictaphone Dual Display | Vintage Cherrys (1982 onwards, just about all of them) | Commodore (all of them) | Nixdorf | Siemens | ICL | Apple (all of them) | Filco Majistouch | KBDFans 5degree - Chocolate | Rama M6-B - Moon | CA66 Silver | ClueBoard Graphite/PC | Varmilo VA69M Silver | E7-V1 SE Yellow | Rama U-80 Space Grey | VN66 Navy | BOCC Frosted Polycarbonate | Rama M10-C Midnight | FLX Virgo Teal & Black | Rama M60-A LYN Kuro | Space65 CyberVoyager WhiteGold | Space65 CyberVoyager Terminal | Hyper 7 | Clarabelle Sandblasted Polycarbonate | Elongate Mini 1800 Blue | Petrichor 1800 Red | Vulcan Maja Ergo Green | Think6.5v2 RoboCop | Jacky Bear 65% E-White | Sakabato CB87 TKL Champagne | KCK KY-01 Aquamarine | Jae J-01 F&F E-White & Copper | S7.7 E-White | The Adélie Blue | NIX OxalyS80 LE Dark Polycarbonate | Mesa TKL E-White | Smith & Rune IRON180 Graen/Brass | Skog Reboot Desert | CU7 Black | ROTR Silver & Copper | RAMA Kara Soya | Grid 650 E-White | SIX5 LE Aluminium & Gold | OwLab Voice65 Grey | BOX 75 Black Stainless Steel | Onyx E-White | Ikki68 BT Charcoal | Smith & Rune Iron 165 Graphite & Stainless Steel | Epoch 80% Black | RAMA Thermal SEQ2 Kuro | Paper Crane Gerald65 SE PC & CF | CB1800 ZANBATO | GLiTCH | Eclipse Grey & SS | TGR Tomo Silver | Mountain Ergo Black | Keebwerk NASU Black/Red | Phase One 65 Grey | Command TKL Fire | Chalice Frosted | VIENDI 8L Shadow | | Vulcan Maja PC | Glove 80 | Matrix 8XV 3.0 Starry Night | Sagittarius Grey Lilac | AKB OGR & Numpad Dolch | Type K Black

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #1060 on: Mon, 24 May 2021, 07:12:31 »
Started watching the new MODOK series from HULU, it's a good take on a villain from a comedic perspective.  Also love that Patton Oswalt is voicing MODOK - fits perfectly.

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline alertArchitect

• Genderless Void
« Reply #1061 on: Mon, 24 May 2021, 09:50:19 »
Just re-watched Breaking Bad from the start again.  Such a great series, better than just about anything else made before or since.  I urge anyone who as not watched it (is there anyone?) to make sure you do, you won't regret it.

For me, the problem with Breaking Bad is twofold. The first is that I've heard so many people hyping it for so long that there is no way for the show to live up to the glorified expectations everyone I've personally heard speak about it has set for the show. The other is that recently, I've preferred more lighthearted content. Sure, I may occasionally watch something a bit deeper, more introspective, and has a "darker" feel to it, but overall? I'll stick with my preferred stuff, mostly comedic in nature because I'm tired of the "world sucks" stuff in general, personally. From what I've seen, Gus Fring is cool though.

Started watching the new MODOK series from HULU, it's a good take on a villain from a comedic perspective.  Also love that Patton Oswalt is voicing MODOK - fits perfectly.

Now I wish I still had my Hulu subscription! I was kinda intrigued by the MODOK trailers, but was worried that it would turn out to be one of those series that just uses the same "adult humor" as crap like Family Guy or American Dad. Like sticking a few curse words and crude humor suddenly makes it immediately funny. If it's a legitimately good show, it may be worth it to check out!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1062 on: Mon, 24 May 2021, 10:35:28 »
Unlike game of thrones/ battle star gallactica,   Breakingbad lives up to the Hype, it's still not as good as FIREFLY though. .

No show will ever be that good ever again.

Offline hottrout

• I'd Hit Dat Key
« Reply #1063 on: Mon, 24 May 2021, 12:47:39 »
Firefly was great, agreed.
Current Daily Driver : Virgo - Ultramarine - Standard Lube  |  WTB : Topre Realforce Hi-Pro, please PM me if you have one for sale.

Systems -
More
Work |i9-7940x@4.8ghz|32GB(3600)|STRIX-RTX3090Ti|Bespoke Water, 360m Rad|X299 Prime Deluxe|EK x299 Monoblock|Optane 900p|2x1TB 960 Pro|2x10TB Helium|Dell U3415W + Dell UP2116Q
Home |i9-13900ks|32GB(7300)|Rog RTX 4090|Asus Z790 Rog Maximus Hero|Torrent Air|2TB 990 Pro|2TB 990 Pro|Dell AW3423DW QOLED|NEC MultiSync|Drobo16TB
Mining |i5-7500|16GB(2400)|H110 Pro BTC+|8x1080Ti|2x1650Watt PSU

Plus 40 years of collecting retro computers, consoles, games, peripherals, mainframes and mini's as well as their software, keyboards, games and manuals. 100's of systems including every Amiga model made
  Keyboards -
More
IBM 3101 | IBM 3276 | IBM 5150 | IBM ModelM | Dictaphone Dual Display | Vintage Cherrys (1982 onwards, just about all of them) | Commodore (all of them) | Nixdorf | Siemens | ICL | Apple (all of them) | Filco Majistouch | KBDFans 5degree - Chocolate | Rama M6-B - Moon | CA66 Silver | ClueBoard Graphite/PC | Varmilo VA69M Silver | E7-V1 SE Yellow | Rama U-80 Space Grey | VN66 Navy | BOCC Frosted Polycarbonate | Rama M10-C Midnight | FLX Virgo Teal & Black | Rama M60-A LYN Kuro | Space65 CyberVoyager WhiteGold | Space65 CyberVoyager Terminal | Hyper 7 | Clarabelle Sandblasted Polycarbonate | Elongate Mini 1800 Blue | Petrichor 1800 Red | Vulcan Maja Ergo Green | Think6.5v2 RoboCop | Jacky Bear 65% E-White | Sakabato CB87 TKL Champagne | KCK KY-01 Aquamarine | Jae J-01 F&F E-White & Copper | S7.7 E-White | The Adélie Blue | NIX OxalyS80 LE Dark Polycarbonate | Mesa TKL E-White | Smith & Rune IRON180 Graen/Brass | Skog Reboot Desert | CU7 Black | ROTR Silver & Copper | RAMA Kara Soya | Grid 650 E-White | SIX5 LE Aluminium & Gold | OwLab Voice65 Grey | BOX 75 Black Stainless Steel | Onyx E-White | Ikki68 BT Charcoal | Smith & Rune Iron 165 Graphite & Stainless Steel | Epoch 80% Black | RAMA Thermal SEQ2 Kuro | Paper Crane Gerald65 SE PC & CF | CB1800 ZANBATO | GLiTCH | Eclipse Grey & SS | TGR Tomo Silver | Mountain Ergo Black | Keebwerk NASU Black/Red | Phase One 65 Grey | Command TKL Fire | Chalice Frosted | VIENDI 8L Shadow | | Vulcan Maja PC | Glove 80 | Matrix 8XV 3.0 Starry Night | Sagittarius Grey Lilac | AKB OGR & Numpad Dolch | Type K Black

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #1064 on: Mon, 24 May 2021, 13:20:55 »

I'm tired of the "world sucks" stuff in general

It has receded pretty far into the past by now, but Six Feet Under was brilliant and imaginative.
Cognitive distortions are patterns of thought, typically automatic and unconscious, that cause an inaccurate, negative view of situations, people, and/or events. These include things like jumping to conclusions; black-and-white thinking; negative mental filtering; overgeneralizing; mindreading (incorrectly believing we know what others are thinking, what their motives are); and emotional reasoning (believing that if we are feeling something, or if what we are thinking is associated with a strong emotion, it must be true).
- Scott Jansenn 2024-04-07

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #1065 on: Mon, 24 May 2021, 14:47:33 »

probably my favorite tv series of all-time

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #1067 on: Wed, 26 May 2021, 09:50:35 »
I watched Deceived (1991).
I love those old movies form 80s-90s. They were done a lot better than movies nowadays.
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline iri

« Reply #1069 on: Wed, 26 May 2021, 16:13:16 »
I love those old movies form 80s-90s. They were done a lot better than movies nowadays.
I have the same feeling about the 60s
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #1070 on: Wed, 26 May 2021, 16:53:52 »
Wrath of Man,  It's got all the right pewpewpewpew

Loaded it up last night on my server, can't wait to enjoy it.   :thumb:

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1071 on: Wed, 26 May 2021, 16:58:20 »
Wrath of Man,  It's got all the right pewpewpewpew

Loaded it up last night on my server, can't wait to enjoy it.   :thumb:

The entire time I kept thinking, Bruce willis, this is what BW should be doing, not Cosmic Sin..

Offline phinix

« Reply #1072 on: Thu, 27 May 2021, 05:26:11 »
I have the same feeling about the 60s

Well, 50s-60s movies are a bit too simple when watched, that's just my feeling. But you can feel that those times defined cinematography.
I like to notice all those things like new, more complex stories, new ways to capture moments in movies, new camera views/moves - all that when watching movies.
You can see how cinematography evolved through ages - from 50s-60s to 80-90s and further.

My wife thinks I'm a weirdo, as I watch movie really focused, keeping an eye on every actor in the cine, sometimes I rewind to see something again as noticed something strange - either some interesting fact, or recorded mistake etc or just watch other actors in the scene, when main one talks and other very often show their reaction to something, when normally wathcer do not see them as focusing on main actor in the scene. Things like that :)

« Last Edit: Thu, 27 May 2021, 05:28:20 by phinix »
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #1073 on: Thu, 27 May 2021, 06:54:33 »

My wife thinks I'm a weirdo, as I watch movie really focused

Same here. My ex- never paid attention and constantly asked "Wait, what just happened?"
Cognitive distortions are patterns of thought, typically automatic and unconscious, that cause an inaccurate, negative view of situations, people, and/or events. These include things like jumping to conclusions; black-and-white thinking; negative mental filtering; overgeneralizing; mindreading (incorrectly believing we know what others are thinking, what their motives are); and emotional reasoning (believing that if we are feeling something, or if what we are thinking is associated with a strong emotion, it must be true).

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1074 on: Thu, 27 May 2021, 16:25:02 »
Kiss the Ground (2020)

Solid easily comprehensible documentary on the importance of Soil Ecology for CO2 Sequestration.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1075 on: Sun, 30 May 2021, 16:33:44 »
Rewatched Bladerunner 2049,

You guys remember movies used to be gud' ?

Offline phinix

« Reply #1076 on: Sun, 30 May 2021, 17:06:15 »

Same here. My ex- never paid attention and constantly asked "Wait, what just happened?"

I understand why she's "ex"  :thumb:

Yeah, I hate when people don't pay attention watching movies - if they treat it as killing time, then what the point...

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1077 on: Sun, 30 May 2021, 17:19:36 »

Yeah, I hate when people don't pay attention watching movies - if they treat it as killing time, then what the point...

Not everyone haz dat oled, phinix,

peeps who grew up watching them blurboxes aren't as attached.

Offline phinix

« Reply #1078 on: Mon, 31 May 2021, 02:12:06 »

Not everyone haz dat oled, phinix,

peeps who grew up watching them blurboxes aren't as attached.

tp, I have oled since this January and I do not watch movies on it. Its my PC monitor (well, watched a couple on it, but 99% of the time its a monitor to read GH :D )
Plus tv has nothing to do with my way of watching movies. If you like and admire movies, you want to experience their view, learn their story - then you appreciate it and focus on every single second of it - this is my opinion. I never watched a movie by peeking every now and then - this I consider as a waste of time and tv :D
I watch movies on regular 65" LCD, which I bought 5 years ago. Plus I AM that person who grew up on blurry tv - I watched literally thousands of movies on VHS before I even saw a lcd in a store :)
My first lcd tv I bought was in 2009 I think.
« Last Edit: Mon, 31 May 2021, 02:17:12 by phinix »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #1079 on: Mon, 31 May 2021, 08:28:25 »

focus on every single second

As has been borne out by many studies, multi-tasking is "worse than a lie" as one of my instructors in an efficiency class loved to say.

https://appliedpsychologydegree.usc.edu/blog/to-multitask-or-not-to-multitask/

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1080 on: Mon, 31 May 2021, 08:35:38 »
Plus I AM that person who grew up on blurry tv - I watched literally thousands of movies on VHS before I even saw a lcd in a store :)

dat's an Autism spectrum disorder, we can thank nooqular weapons tests + chemical fertilizers + pesticides, All of which evolved from WW2 tech.

Tp4 is also up to 6000 movies now. 1000 of which in the last year.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #1081 on: Tue, 01 June 2021, 19:38:44 »
Watched Scary Stories To Tell In The Dark. Wasn't very good.

Offline phinix

« Reply #1082 on: Wed, 02 June 2021, 02:24:40 »

focus on every single second

As has been borne out by many studies, multi-tasking is "worse than a lie" as one of my instructors in an efficiency class loved to say.

https://appliedpsychologydegree.usc.edu/blog/to-multitask-or-not-to-multitask/

I agree :)

Plus I AM that person who grew up on blurry tv - I watched literally thousands of movies on VHS before I even saw a lcd in a store :)

dat's an Autism spectrum disorder, we can thank nooqular weapons tests + chemical fertilizers + pesticides, All of which evolved from WW2 tech.

Tp4 is also up to 6000 movies now. 1000 of which in the last year.

Thats right - plus, I was 6 years old and about 900km from the Czarnobyl, when it went up with smoke.

There is a person who said once, I may have some autistic behaviour sometimes...
My missus :D
« Last Edit: Wed, 02 June 2021, 02:27:41 by phinix »

Offline iri

« Reply #1083 on: Wed, 02 June 2021, 05:16:54 »
Thats right - plus, I was 6 years old and about 900km from the Czarnobyl, when it went up with smoke.
I was 203km closer and grew up fine I think
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline phinix

« Reply #1084 on: Wed, 02 June 2021, 05:42:54 »
I was 203km closer and grew up fine I think

Yeah, sure, just wait 10 more years:)
Jokes aside, I dont think we will ever know if it had any affect on us. maybe it had, maybe not, I remember my dad taking me out to doctor to get some Lugol's solution.
All kids got it that day.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #1085 on: Wed, 02 June 2021, 14:21:10 »
I sold my AMC at $20 :(

oops

wrong thread, whatever

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1086 on: Wed, 02 June 2021, 19:49:21 »
Handmaids any good beyond season 2 ?,  Kind of lost traction for me at the end there.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #1087 on: Wed, 02 June 2021, 20:45:05 »

Handmaids any good beyond season 2 ?  Kind of lost traction for me at the end there.

That was how I felt. The birthing episode was spectacular but after that I was done. Yet another example of how post-book material created to extend the TV show seemed extraneous.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1088 on: Thu, 03 June 2021, 18:07:15 »
Occupation rainfall.  What was Australia thinking.... /angry

They also shamelessly paid for bot reviews on imdb.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #1090 on: Sun, 06 June 2021, 00:49:31 »
Just started Invincible on Amazon. Good to see Image Comics getting their due recently, never thought this is what would be picked for an animated series.
It's pretty good so far, the animation sucks but they do it for kitch value to make it vibe like a '90s WB Sat AM cartoon. I'd almost say the voice actors are too good for the **** animation in some cases. They sure go for shock value to drive home points which reeks of early '00s comics being about as subtle as a brick to the temple, but not necessarily in a bad way.

Offline phinix

« Reply #1091 on: Sun, 06 June 2021, 17:50:44 »
Just watched Conjuring 3. It was ok, good quality horror movie.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1092 on: Sun, 06 June 2021, 18:06:58 »

Well made,  didn't really scare..

Offline TheWonderBubble

« Reply #1093 on: Mon, 07 June 2021, 07:58:28 »
Watched You Were Never Really Here for the second time last night, I'd forgotten both just how good and just how dark that movie got. For anyone that's seen it, got any similar recommendations?
Shhhhh...my wallet doesn't know I'm here.

Offline BlueberryIsHere

• Formerly KaptainKitsune
  • Just a normal guy
« Reply #1094 on: Mon, 07 June 2021, 08:05:13 »
Toradora. Going to watch Beyond the Boundary next.
I was told to put something here.
So I did

Offline phinix

« Reply #1095 on: Tue, 08 June 2021, 03:02:03 »

Yeah, well made, but not scary - but then, do they really scare you when you're an adult?
I remember scary horror movies when I was a kid (Re-animator, Deadly Friend) - but once I've grown up, I can't find a single scary horror movie, its all either jump scary scenes, or just effects that are more funny than scary.
Well, I felt a bit of chills when watching The Others in the cinema, when I was 21yo, but not scary...

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1096 on: Tue, 08 June 2021, 08:55:26 »

Yeah, well made, but not scary - but then, do they really scare you when you're an adult?
I remember scary horror movies when I was a kid (Re-animator, Deadly Friend) - but once I've grown up, I can't find a single scary horror movie, its all either jump scary scenes, or just effects that are more funny than scary.
Well, I felt a bit of chills when watching The Others in the cinema, when I was 21yo, but not scary...

Leprechaun 1-3 still scares Tp4..  Triple scary if you watch it on VHS.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1097 on: Sat, 12 June 2021, 15:48:32 »
Saw this, almost relapsed..  don't do drugs.

It's like you can smell that ramen grease from the monitor, and the lighting is so accurate, it's dim, middle of the night, hungry, binge watching some dumb anime

270493-0

Offline alertArchitect

• Genderless Void
« Reply #1098 on: Mon, 14 June 2021, 11:44:30 »
Mainly watched some mindless action and comedy flicks this weekend with my mother and sister - Mr. and Mrs. Smith, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Home Alone, the 90's Dennis the Menace Movie, etc.

It was a long week last week, so we all just wanted to turn our brains off lol.

Offline CbR4

« Reply #1099 on: Fri, 18 June 2021, 10:22:35 »
I'm rewatching an anime from my early teenage years - Code Geass. I've never really been an anime fan, but for some reason someone gave me this series on a DVD when I was 13 or 14 and I enjoyed it. I recently found out that it was on Netflix and have started watching it again with a broader worldview and definitely understand some of the content a bit more. Very glad I decided to get back into it and rewatch it.

Beyond that, I've been slowly working my way through Suits which I love, can only watch it in certain moods though. Also running Superstore for a bit of silly comic relief, definitely get a few laughs out of it.