Author Topic: IBM Model F XT review (IBM capacitive buckling springs)  (Read 10680 times)

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
IBM Model F XT review (IBM capacitive buckling springs)
« on: Sat, 23 July 2016, 10:57:34 »
Today we look at a true classic. The IBM Model F XT. Hope you enjoy it, guys! :)

Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline quasistellar

Re: IBM Model F XT review (IBM capacitive buckling springs)
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 26 July 2016, 15:00:55 »
Although I'm sure I'd love the feel of the model f, I know I could never get used to the sound.  The model m is already too pingy for me!  The typing demo at the end sounds like a spring factory exploding.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 26 July 2016, 17:38:02 »
Although I'm sure I'd love the feel of the model f, I know I could never get used to the sound.  The model m is already too pingy for me!  The typing demo at the end sounds like a spring factory exploding.
Yeah, the sound is rather polarising. Even many people who like the typing sound of the M can't stand the F, I've found.

Personally, I think it's amazing :D .

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 27 July 2016, 15:31:26 »
I'd like to get the AT model personally, I love the M but it's just a little too heavy.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 27 July 2016, 16:21:07 »
I'd like to get the AT model personally, I love the M but it's just a little too heavy.
The M is great. The F is goddamn amazing. There's no contest really xD .

Offline jsto69

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 06 August 2016, 11:13:21 »
Great video, these reviews are amazing, it's like david attenborough narrating the most obscure bbc documentary ever. I check my thrift stores and older schools getting rid of stuff in the basement but have yet to come across a model m or f :/

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 06 August 2016, 11:26:48 »
"Here we see the Model M in the wild..." 8)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 07 August 2016, 00:37:14 »
My Model M keyboards seem quite loud, at least compared to the various Cherry keyboards I have around here.

The Model M you used for comparison seems positively silent in comparison.

Given the difference in volume between the M and the F in your video, I can only assume that the F is as loud as f***!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 07 August 2016, 04:43:28 »
My Model M keyboards seem quite loud, at least compared to the various Cherry keyboards I have around here.

The Model M you used for comparison seems positively silent in comparison.

Given the difference in volume between the M and the F in your video, I can only assume that the F is as loud as f***!
It is xD . It's probably the second loudest keyboard I own xD .

The camera I use is not great at picking up soft noises tbh, hence why I don't use it for the typing demos.

Offline smknjoe

• I like tactile, clicky, switches.
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 07 August 2016, 05:19:11 »

."...as heavy as a ****ing brick..."
SSKs for everyone!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 07 August 2016, 05:24:01 »

."...as heavy as a ****ing brick..."

Heavier :))
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline kingnestea

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 14 August 2016, 16:01:45 »
I guess BS is gonna be my next goal

Offline greenteei89

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 26 September 2016, 08:38:43 »
Thanks for the review! and the other videos you  have made. I just got into trying out vintage keyboards and I have to say that they are extremely unique compared to the current array of switch options.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 27 September 2016, 20:16:31 »
I guess BS is gonna be my next goal

If you call yourself a "Geekhacker" then it's every mechanical keyboard fan's goal, to own and use a Model-F in their lifetime.

Otherwise you just become like all the rest, another slobbering, Cherry Docile pretending to be a keyboard fanatic  8) .

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 27 September 2016, 20:41:40 »
Just finished putting my xt back together, forgot how much I loved this thing. Nothing tops my cream alps omnikey though.

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 28 September 2016, 00:35:54 »
Just finished putting my xt back together, forgot how much I loved this thing. Nothing tops my cream alps omnikey though.
to be fair the Omnikey and the Model F are comparable in build quality. I would say it's somewhere between an M and an F.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 20 April 2017, 05:16:53 »
Even though I don't own an XT and don't plan to, I love this review, and come back to see it now and then.

Showing the XT's literally heavier than a brick—hah!

And how Chyros points out that everything about the XT is divine, except for the small fact that it's virtually unusable to anyone who's accustomed to a modern layout... Why does that remind me of dating?

So, go ahead, ridicule me for posting to a thread from September. I don't care. This is an awesome thread that doesn't deserve to die, just like the immortal—but for the most part, unusable—board it venerates.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 21 April 2017, 10:13:00 »
For just regular typing and data-entry the layout looks pretty usable IMO. I could see myself writing an essay on it after getting used to where the keys are.