geekhack Community > Ergonomics

Thoughts on "The Ultimate Ergo Keyboard"... for YOU

<< < (2/7) > >>

EverythingIBM:
I personally think a typical layout is "ergonomic" enough. All of these weird curves don't really do anything. This is probably the worst I've seen:

I type informally, so, that means my right hand will sometimes elapse into the area where your LEFT hand should be typing (I sometimes just do it for fun too; typing should be enjoyable). A keyboard which has the two halves distanced would be chatoic for me. Not to mention annoying and big. My model M already sucks up the whole part of my desk, barely enough room for my mouse pad.

However, the best "ergonomic" design I can think of, is how the question mark button is right beside shift. I asbolutely love this, becase, I can simply slide my middle and index finger to switch to a question mark. I think, if I would change anything to the already perfect layout, would be to place something beside the left shift so it could have the same swipe effect. That's also one reason why I never changed to DVORAK; they moved the question mark button AWAY from shift; which doesn't make sense to me (it takes more travelling time that way).

Hak Foo:
Three or four columns of programmable keys on the left side.  HARD programmable, like the higher-end Cherries, not with a OS-dependent tool.

Snap-on trackball on either side.  With wheel.

keyb_gr:

--- Quote from: EverythingIBM;162407 ---A keyboard which has the two halves distanced would be chatoic for me. Not to mention annoying and big.
--- End quote ---
True, that's a traditional problem of split ergos - they really need a pointing device in the middle. And yes, they aren't that much use to us non-touch-typing folks.

--- Quote from: EverythingIBM;162407 ---My model M already sucks up the whole part of my desk, barely enough room for my mouse pad.
--- End quote ---
M13?

--- Quote from: EverythingIBM;162407 ---However, the best "ergonomic" design I can think of, is how the question mark button is right beside shift. ...
--- End quote ---
PHP guy or somesuch?

(Oh, and it doesn't take a Dvorak layout to move the question mark away from Shift. A number of non-English QWERTY-based layouts also do that.)

As far as the ultimate keyboard for *me* is concerned, one thing it would definitely have is some nice big, contrasty, non-abrading key lettering on a not-too-shiny key surface. Not too sure about the other details though.

ds26gte:

--- Quote from: wolf;162354 ---If you'd prefer your pointing device integrated with the keyboard, then mention that too.

--- End quote ---

I use a laptop keyboard about 99% of the time, and while I am OK with using the trackpad to move the cursor, clicking is a chore.  The clicking buttons are either too far away (Dell), or are too close to the spacebar (Thinkpad).  I tried setting pad tap to register a click, but given how close the thumb is to the pad, many unintended clicks result.

I'd like a keyboard shortcut that simulates a left-click.  Windows uses shift-F10 for right-click, but no OS appears to have a purely keyboard way of registering a left-click (at whatever position the cursor currently happens to be).

On tenkeyed keyboards, with Mouse Keys on, I can use numpad 5, but my laptops are tenkeyless.  Using Mouse Keys with an embedded numpad is terrible.

Hubbert:
I think Dvorak is a scam: in addition to the research, it was designed to maximize the amount of time you alternate between hands. But I think a large portion of my errors are the result of improperly coordinating my hands (i.e., I often type "teh" but "were" is generally not a problem).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version