Author Topic: [GB] GH-122.2016 R1 PCB - Completed!  (Read 110907 times)

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
Re: [GB] GH-122.2016 R1 PCB - Shipping!
« Reply #300 on: Thu, 14 July 2016, 10:09:42 »
Once a few of the first-run boards get completed-- so people can see what they look like with cases and what the total costs tend to be-- I expect there will be more interest.

The lack of a clear direction for cases has made this project a lot riskier than a typical "throw it in a standard 60% case" project.
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline dead_pixel_design

• IIIV is not a Roman Numeral. Positive Vibes.
« Reply #301 on: Tue, 13 September 2016, 14:58:11 »
Data pointed me this way and I am loving what I am seeing on this thread, sad I am just starting out with Mechanical Keyboards after this already happened. Would love to put in my voice on a round two as well!!!

Offline Data

« Reply #302 on: Tue, 13 September 2016, 19:48:41 »
If a couple of key players hadn't inexplicably disappeared right after these shipped I'm sure a Round 2 would have quickly followed. It's really a great PCB.

Offline Spaceman1200

« Reply #303 on: Tue, 13 September 2016, 23:51:06 »
I need to get around to building mine
« Last Edit: Wed, 14 September 2016, 07:25:15 by Spaceman1200 »

Offline MAR82

• Keyboard Addict
« Reply #304 on: Wed, 14 September 2016, 00:39:47 »
I wish my PCB shipped. He told me it might take a bit longer because I'm in France, but then he vanished without any more updates or anything

Offline MAR82

• Keyboard Addict
« Reply #305 on: Tue, 27 September 2016, 09:23:37 »
First Ivan, now Sam/Ron....
I'm really starting to think that all the older GH guys are just wanting to scam me and take off with my money...
 :'( :'( :'( :'(

Offline Spaceman1200

« Reply #306 on: Tue, 27 September 2016, 09:34:11 »
I'm really starting to think that all the older GH guys are just wanting to scam me and take off with my money...

Sorry

Offline MAR82

• Keyboard Addict
« Reply #307 on: Tue, 27 September 2016, 09:35:58 »

Sorry

Yeah it seems like you all got your PCBs, and that I'm the only one who's PCBless.
But thanks for the support

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #308 on: Tue, 27 September 2016, 10:15:04 »

Sorry

Yeah it seems like you all got your PCBs, and that I'm the only one who's PCBless.

I'm also waiting for a PCB.

Ron is not one to bail on an obligation in my experience.  He loves to take on many ambitious projects, so I'm sure he is simply overwhelmed (he also owns a business), but I'm not worried that he has truly run off with our money.  That's just my personal opinion though, and we will have to wait to see what happens unfortunately.

Offline MAR82

• Keyboard Addict
« Reply #309 on: Tue, 27 September 2016, 10:59:46 »
More

Sorry

I'm also waiting for a PCB.

Ron is not one to bail on an obligation in my experience.  He loves to take on many ambitious projects, so I'm sure he is simply overwhelmed (he also owns a business), but I'm not worried that he has truly run off with our money.  That's just my personal opinion though, and we will have to wait to see what happens unfortunately.

Well I guess I feel better knowing that I'm not alone on waiting for a PCB. But now I feel bad for you  :-\

I know that Ron is the kind of guy that is on and off all the time with GH. It's just that he was in contact with me for a while by email, and then just disappeared. At first I was a little worried for him thinking he might have hurt himself, but then I remembered that's what Ivan had given as an excuse. And now that's he's not been online at all since July 29th I can't help but feel worried.

I really wish that there was some kind of rule where people running GBs give updates or be online every so often, or people should be free to make a PP claim.

But thanks again for letting me know that I'm not alone  :thumb:

Edit: If I would have known that it was going to this long, I would of had him ship it to the US address and not France (that's one of the reasons he told me it would take a bit longer). Because I'm in the US right now and could have just brought it back to France myself, would have also been cheaper to ship
« Last Edit: Tue, 27 September 2016, 11:04:51 by MAR82 »

Offline Data

« Reply #310 on: Tue, 27 September 2016, 17:17:11 »
He stopped posting so abruptly that I suspect something in his personal life is interfering. Things were rolling along with the GH-36 and I had the impression that there'd be a GB for it shortly after this one. So I don't think this is anything like the Ivan situation, and consider that most of us received the boards we paid for.  I just hope his health is good so we can pick up where we left off... eventually. :P

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #311 on: Thu, 10 November 2016, 16:35:06 »
Hi there!

We had this election-thingy in the States, and it sort of swept me away.  (You may have heard about it yourself.)

Anyhow, that is over, and I've just packed and shipped the rest of the PCBs, except the one for toidbb, for whom I am missing an address.  The status post at the top of this thread has been updated, and the USPS should have sent tracking e-mails.

I'll now go catch up a bit and post an update or two.

FYI, I have working firmware from metalliqaz, although it took a patch file to make it work.  But work it does!  I have a couple of layouts done, and I'll find a way to zip that all up as a working sample.

No progress has been made on the case front (at least by me) so currently I have a working prototype on a slant base and another in a Unicomp case to validate fitment.  I do NOT like the feel of the PCB on a foam backing, at least not with the switch/keycap combinations I have tried.

Anyway, I am back and have shipped all the PCBs I could ship.

Hope you all had a great Summer, and that we all find unity for the next 4-8 years.

Peace out,

- Ron | samwisekoi

p.s.  I have not forgotten the GH-36.
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #312 on: Thu, 10 November 2016, 16:41:22 »
OK, I just read the thread a bit, and let me HUMBLY APOLOGIZE!  I have not run off with anyone's money, but I did have 7 PCBs on my shelf unshipped.  As of this minute they are in labeled boxes on my shipping bench waiting for the postman to come in the morning.  This does indeed include one headed for France, which I could grab and re-direct.

Thank you Mr. HoffmanMyster for the kind words. 

And again, please accept my sincere apologies.

- Ron | samwisekoi
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline MAR82

• Keyboard Addict
« Reply #313 on: Fri, 11 November 2016, 08:15:18 »
OK, I just read the thread a bit, and let me HUMBLY APOLOGIZE!  I have not run off with anyone's money, but I did have 7 PCBs on my shelf unshipped.  As of this minute they are in labeled boxes on my shipping bench waiting for the postman to come in the morning.  This does indeed include one headed for France, which I could grab and re-direct.

Thank you Mr. HoffmanMyster for the kind words. 

And again, please accept my sincere apologies.

- Ron | samwisekoi

Hey man,

No worries, you're back now ;)

I'm not going to lie, with some of the older members of GH doing some shady stuff I had ask myself if this was going to be second burn or not (I lost about $300 with Ivan).
At the end I was more worried that something had happened to you, and I'm just glad to see you back online.

Edit: And yeah I'm back in France, so shipping to a US address is possible right now

Offline Data

« Reply #314 on: Fri, 11 November 2016, 08:56:56 »
Hah!  Welcome back, Ron.  :D

The GH-122 is alive and well.

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #315 on: Fri, 11 November 2016, 11:28:24 »

Show Image

Damn I really want to get a case like that now

Offline MAR82

• Keyboard Addict
« Reply #316 on: Fri, 11 November 2016, 11:31:32 »

Show Image

Damn I really want to get a case like that now

Now that I'm going to be getting my PCB, I wish I could get a plate for it.
But think it will look awesome in the Unicomp case
« Last Edit: Fri, 11 November 2016, 11:49:04 by MAR82 »

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
Re: [GB] GH-122.2016 R1 PCB - Completed!
« Reply #317 on: Mon, 14 November 2016, 12:11:46 »
I shipped everything I could, but there was one user who paid but never provided an address.  He has been refunded and I'll hang onto his PCB in case he responds to that.

Otherwise, this buy is now completed and closed.

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline Maddrake

« Reply #318 on: Wed, 23 November 2016, 12:53:37 »
Any chance of another round in the future? I dont mean to bother you but I'm just super interested :D. Have a nice holiday.
hopefully one day this fella right here -->

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #319 on: Wed, 23 November 2016, 19:29:35 »
Any chance of another round in the future? I dont mean to bother you but I'm just super interested :D. Have a nice holiday.

Yup.  A few small changes, and then I'll release the GH-122.2017 version.  I will probably try to do it differently this time, but yes.

- Ron | samwisekoi
(Auto-typed by my GH36 Matrix Keypad.)

Offline MAR82

• Keyboard Addict
« Reply #320 on: Sat, 26 November 2016, 06:55:36 »
Got my PCB today, and it's huge. Can't wait to start putting it together!  :p
Thanks for all your work on it  :thumb:

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #321 on: Sat, 26 November 2016, 09:44:54 »

Awesome!  Thanks for letting me know.  Good luck, and thank you for the wake-up call a few weeks ago.

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline MAR82

• Keyboard Addict
« Reply #322 on: Sun, 27 November 2016, 09:40:32 »
So does anyone have any advice on how to get the GH-122 to fit the curve/angle of the Unicomp 122 case?

Awesome!  Thanks for letting me know.  Good luck, and thank you for the wake-up call a few weeks ago.

- Ron | samwisekoi

No problem, we're just happy you're back around!
We can all get caught up with other things in life. I have a hard time getting away from work these days and have little to no time for anything personal.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #323 on: Sun, 27 November 2016, 11:18:27 »
So does anyone have any advice on how to get the GH-122 to fit the curve/angle of the Unicomp 122 case?

Yes.

1.  Make the three cuts shown in red using the pilot holes and white cut lines on the PCB.
2.  Connect twelve short (2-4cm) jumper wires from the column pads (shown in yellow).
3.  Connect two longer (5-10cm) jumper wires from the row pads (shown in cyan).
4.  Attach the function key PCB to the top of the Unicomp case.  (Using hot glue and/or the two mounting holes provided).
5.  Connect the twelve column jumper wires to the pads above columns 4 through 16 (shown in green).
6.  Connect the two column jumper wires to the pads labelled A and B (shown in blue).

I terminated the 14 jumper wires with female connectors and used male pins on the main PCB to enable the keyboard to be opened and closed for work/repair.  I am not completely satisfied with this method, so I may replace the pins with more jumper cables and male connectors.

A similar connection method should be used for the LEDs.

- Ron | samwisekoi
Auto-typed by my GH-122 keyboard.

« Last Edit: Sun, 27 November 2016, 11:32:07 by samwisekoi »

Offline Phenix

« Reply #324 on: Thu, 22 December 2016, 18:37:17 »
For the 2017 version: will Unsaver- style be supported?
(so cutting off the numpad - similar to the F key block as you described above)
Winter is coming.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #325 on: Fri, 23 December 2016, 10:16:49 »
For the 2017 version: will Unsaver- style be supported?
(so cutting off the numpad - similar to the F key block as you described above)

I have added that to the list.  It will be hard with the sheer number of traces that go through there, but I'd like to make a TKL with a left-hand function block.  Or possibly a numpad in place of the nav cluster.  We'll see.

Thanks for the idea!

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline Phenix

« Reply #326 on: Fri, 23 December 2016, 11:18:48 »
great!
Another feature which would be interesting: make the numpad choppable, and this could then be connected via some sort of plug (preferrably jumper some pins to an socket of ones liking)

This could be interesting for nearly every switch block of the board.....

btw: whats about split spacebars??
Winter is coming.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #327 on: Fri, 23 December 2016, 11:37:20 »
great!
Another feature which would be interesting: make the numpad choppable, and this could then be connected via some sort of plug (preferrably jumper some pins to an socket of ones liking)

This could be interesting for nearly every switch block of the board.....

btw: whats about split spacebars??

Ok, now you're just messing with me.

I looked at ribbon-connected blocks, and it just ended up being unworkable on a two-layer PCB.  Similarly, the bottom row at one point had 7.0, 6.25, 6.0, 4.5, split, and perhaps other layouts.  Oh yes, 10.0 Wyse as well.  (I liked that one.)

In the end, too many layouts meant too much complexity.  And in fact, a remnant of that complexity is found in the 2016 1.1 version of the PCB having the wrong stabilizer mounting holes for the 6.25 layout.

So no movable blocks; sorry.  Once I put up a thread for the 2017 PCB, then please re-propose a specific bottom row you like, and we'll see if it gets any/many takers.

You got your feature request for the month (above).  These two I am afraid were tried and failed.

Sorry, but thanks for your continued input,

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline dead_pixel_design

• IIIV is not a Roman Numeral. Positive Vibes.
Re: [GB] GH-122.2016 Revival PCB
« Reply #328 on: Tue, 27 December 2016, 12:17:56 »
Confirmed Orders for GH-122.2016 Jumbo Keyboard PCB:
  • hak foo  [SHIPPED]
  • Spaceman1200  [SHIPPED]
  • Data  [SHIPPED]
  • blai5000  [SHIPPED]
  • iamtootallforthis  [SHIPPED]
  • engicoder  [SHIPPED]
  • rm-rf  [SHIPPED]
  • blighty  [SHIPPED]
  • samwisekoi  [”SHIPPED”]
  • Dee1  [SHIPPED]
  • AKmalamute  [SHIPPED]
  • FrostyToast  [SHIPPED]
  • i3oilermaker  [SHIPPED]
  • hebbler  [SHIPPED]
  • 100010  [SHIPPED]
  • tjweir  [SHIPPED]
  • njbair  [SHIPPED]
  • jdcarpe  [SHIPPED]
  • HoffmanMyster  [SHIPPED]
  • Wnovizar  [SHIPPED]
  • unoab  [SHIPPED]
  • MAR82  [SHIPPED]
  • possibly available 
  • possibly available 
  • Used for testing. 

Please let us know if those last two 'possibly avaialable' PCBs become definitely available. I am very interested

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
Re: [GB] GH-122.2016 Revival PCB
« Reply #329 on: Tue, 27 December 2016, 13:39:48 »
Please let us know if those last two 'possibly avaialable' PCBs become definitely available. I am very interested

No, sorry.  I'm using them for case development.  I'll change the OP.

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline mrklaw

« Reply #330 on: Wed, 04 January 2017, 09:44:24 »
Will you post to this thread when you start a 2017 group buy or will you just start a new one? I'm trying to decide if I should turn on notify or not.
Ducky Zero with DSA Dolch and SA Vim key

Offline jal

• I can't believe it's not gravy!
« Reply #331 on: Wed, 04 January 2017, 10:20:55 »
Argh, just saw this, so very sad I missed out.

If there is a round two, I'm in for at least two of these.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #332 on: Wed, 04 January 2017, 11:09:22 »
Will you post to this thread when you start a 2017 group buy or will you just start a new one? I'm trying to decide if I should turn on notify or not.

Both.  Probably soon.

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #333 on: Wed, 04 January 2017, 12:16:54 »
First GH-122.2017 Interest Check thread is up:

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=86751

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
« Reply #334 on: Sun, 06 August 2017, 10:12:37 »
Necro resurrection.

I finally got around to temp finishing my Rev 1 GH-122.  I say temp finished cause I haven't gotten the case yet, just using screws along the top / bottom edges as stand offs.  Costar stabs (had to make the 7x wire for the spacebar), 100% cherry green switches.  Num / Scroll / Caps lock keys are green LED backlit as well.

Oh, and hello.  I know I've been gone for a while; work has had me extremely busy with travel).

Quoting me causes a posting error that you need to ignore.

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #335 on: Sun, 06 August 2017, 12:48:03 »
Necro resurrection.

I finally got around to temp finishing my Rev 1 GH-122.  I say temp finished cause I haven't gotten the case yet, just using screws along the top / bottom edges as stand offs.  Costar stabs (had to make the 7x wire for the spacebar), 100% cherry green switches.  Num / Scroll / Caps lock keys are green LED backlit as well.

Oh, and hello.  I know I've been gone for a while; work has had me extremely busy with travel).

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Excellent! Really captures the 'nuclear control center' vibe  :thumb:

Offline Phenix

« Reply #336 on: Sun, 06 August 2017, 13:06:36 »
Necro resurrection.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Excellent! Really captures the 'nuclear control center' vibe  :thumb:

you need a Nuclear Data keyset (I too btw)
Winter is coming.

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #337 on: Sun, 06 August 2017, 16:56:44 »
Necro resurrection.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Damn i need to get these plate files

Offline Data

« Reply #338 on: Sun, 06 August 2017, 17:17:56 »
There was a whole thread on case design.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=80473.0

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #340 on: Tue, 31 October 2017, 20:18:59 »
Another round?

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=88063

He moved house a few months back so he isn't active at the moment.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #341 on: Tue, 10 April 2018, 17:12:57 »
Hey, is anyone using a GH-122 with EasyAVR firmware?  I need to know if the BOOT key is working correctly on the Teensy++ 2.0  controller.  The GH-122 is the only board that uses the Teensy++.  Thanks.

Offline Data

« Reply #342 on: Sat, 14 April 2018, 20:50:44 »
I am, but I don't remember if I mapped the boot function to anything. Assuming I did, what should I expect it to do?

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #343 on: Sun, 15 April 2018, 17:51:17 »
I am, but I don't remember if I mapped the boot function to anything. Assuming I did, what should I expect it to do?
As I recall, that's the software equivalent of flipping the 'reset' switch ... so you can re-up the firmware/layout without cracking it open to find the hardware reset button.

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • "DO NOT BRING YOUR EVIL HERE." -Swamp Thing
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #344 on: Wed, 17 April 2019, 10:35:02 »
Necrothread, but I don't care -- this is about the only GB that would bring me back to the hobby again.
Not that I don't love vintage and/or mechanical keyboards -- I still adore them. It's just that I found all the keyboards I wanted, but this big beautiful 'board GB was awesome.
Is there anyone who has one of these keyboard willing to part with one?
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
Quote from: Samuel Adams
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."