Author Topic: Crafting Artisans: Make some things!  (Read 20458 times)

Offline Kenda

Re: Crafting Artisans: Let's cast this stuff!
« Reply #50 on: Tue, 05 September 2017, 12:26:48 »
Interesting sculpt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Taylorisg

« Reply #51 on: Tue, 05 September 2017, 12:35:14 »
Interesting sculpt

Thanks, less creepy than the last one I imagine.  ;)

Offline Taylorisg

« Reply #52 on: Wed, 06 September 2017, 08:58:27 »
Mission Update

I started watching a NASA documentary late last night, and was compelled to make a NASA-themed artisan

The Apollo Keymand Module
177608-0177610-1

It currently has a rounded bottom, so I'll likely need to carve that out to fit it on my $ynth, but so far it looks pretty fun! Would be interesting to shoot this with a bunch of different pigmented details.

Still waiting on Pressure Pot, should arrive today. Bye family.

Godspeed everyone!

Offline KeLorean

« Reply #53 on: Wed, 06 September 2017, 10:06:38 »
Drinking Update!

I don't drink beer usually, but a couple friends of mine have been trying to convince me it's worth my liver, so here we are.

Working on a new sculpt (Tankey) while I drink myself into oblivion, what could go wrong?

Show Image

awesome

Click it OR Ticket!

Offline KeLorean

« Reply #54 on: Wed, 06 September 2017, 10:07:08 »
Mission Update

I started watching a NASA documentary late last night, and was compelled to make a NASA-themed artisan

The Apollo Keymand Module
(Attachment Link) (Attachment Link)

It currently has a rounded bottom, so I'll likely need to carve that out to fit it on my $ynth, but so far it looks pretty fun! Would be interesting to shoot this with a bunch of different pigmented details.

Still waiting on Pressure Pot, should arrive today. Bye family.

Godspeed everyone!
this great! keep it up

Click it OR Ticket!

Offline AuthenticDanger

« Reply #55 on: Wed, 06 September 2017, 11:08:11 »
Keymand Module looks really cool. Not many round keys, so it stands out for sure.

I'm still holding out for multi-shot Tankeys though :)
F Keys belong on the left.

Offline Taylorisg

« Reply #56 on: Wed, 06 September 2017, 11:14:09 »
Keymand Module looks really cool. Not many round keys, so it stands out for sure.

Hahaha me too. This is essentially me twiddling my thumbs until mold release and pressure pot arrive. I did 3 sculpts last night, trashed 2 of them, and then ended up with the Apollo. So definitely desperate to get casting.

Offline AuthenticDanger

« Reply #57 on: Wed, 06 September 2017, 11:20:55 »

Hahaha me too. This is essentially me twiddling my thumbs until mold release and pressure pot arrive. I did 3 sculpts last night, trashed 2 of them, and then ended up with the Apollo. So definitely desperate to get casting.

I know the feeling. Casting is really fun but be prepared for a lot of waiting. I've been pouring resin in the morning and letting it cure while I'm at work, then pouring again and letting it cure overnight.

Offline Taylorisg

« Reply #58 on: Wed, 06 September 2017, 11:24:02 »

I know the feeling. Casting is really fun but be prepared for a lot of waiting. I've been pouring resin in the morning and letting it cure while I'm at work, then pouring again and letting it cure overnight.

Yes, I've been mentally preparing for it... I just need to have a cast in hand so I can hold it up to my wife and say, "see? This isn't a stupid hobby!" lol jk

Offline KeLorean

« Reply #59 on: Wed, 06 September 2017, 21:39:40 »

Yes, I've been mentally preparing for it... I just need to have a cast in hand so I can hold it up to my wife and say, "see? This isn't a stupid hobby!" lol jk
taylorisg, ur sculpting skills and creativity are already apparent, but as authentic alluded, that is only 1 side of this 3 sided "casting hobby." the 2nd and 3rd being mold making and resin casting. these next 2 sides may frustrate your previous progress, BUT it should also open your mind to a brave new world.

for me, this hobby is a roller coaster of victories and failures, brilliance and stupidity. there is just so much going on here i dont think the community has even come close to the full potential. in some ways the jewelry community has lead the way for resin casting BUT i believe in the next few years that will change. only bc i've never seen so many intelligent, determined individuals with such passion and lack of regard for convention or any limits whatsoever. we are the future...ok. im being a little over dramatic BUT this is mostly how i feel, and i can only speak for myself (although i believe our predecessors in this community echo this) that i will help u guys unlock that potential in any way i can, such as tips, advice, encouragement, and even financial support...of coarse in exchange for cool caps:)

Click it OR Ticket!

Offline Taylorisg

« Reply #60 on: Wed, 06 September 2017, 21:42:10 »

taylorisg, ur sculpting skills and creativity are already apparent, but as authentic alluded, that is only 1 side of this 3 sided "casting hobby." the 2nd and 3rd being mold making and resin casting. these next 2 sides may frustrate your previous progress, BUT it should also open your mind to a brave new world.

for me, this hobby is a roller coaster of victories and failures, brilliance and stupidity. there is just so much going on here i dont think the community has even come close to the full potential. in some ways the jewelry community has lead the way for resin casting BUT i believe in the next few years that will change. only bc i've never seen so many intelligent, determined individuals with such passion and lack of regard for convention or any limits whatsoever. we are the future...ok. im being a little over dramatic BUT this is mostly how i feel, and i can only speak for myself (although i believe our predecessors in this community echo this) that i will help u guys unlock that potential in any way i can, such as tips, advice, encouragement, and even financial support...of coarse in exchange for cool caps:)

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! I agree that in many ways this hobby is still in its early days!

Offline Taylorisg

« Reply #61 on: Fri, 08 September 2017, 08:40:04 »
Update: First Time Casting

Hi all!

Big changes afoot. Casting equipment came in, so I went about setting up my garage:
177785-0

I cast my initial mold 4 times to test the waters, and here's what came out:

177771-1
177773-2
177775-3
177777-4
177779-5

The clay sculpt was broken. For the first 3 casts I put a little bit of pigment in so I could see the details better, didn't seem terribly helpful. 1st and 2nd mold both came out with a lot of mold release residue from the looks of it. Also broke when removing. 3rd cast worked (sorta) but had some issues on the bottom. Last one came out okay, but seems pretty matte. I'm thinking either the resin I'm using (Smooth Cast 320 which is the off-white that you see) isn't very high sheen, or that the clay sculpt I used wasn't polished prior to getting molded.

Next step is either re-sculpting the whole thing, then polishing it prior to or after baking (I dunno if that's the right way to go about it), or polishing the cast that I have (if that's possible) then making a new mold off of that.

If anyone knows the answer to that, I'm all ears :)
« Last Edit: Fri, 08 September 2017, 09:42:32 by Taylorisg »

Offline KeLorean

« Reply #62 on: Fri, 08 September 2017, 17:40:14 »
Update: First Time Casting

Hi all!

Big changes afoot. Casting equipment came in, so I went about setting up my garage:
(Attachment Link)

I cast my initial mold 4 times to test the waters, and here's what came out:

(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

The clay sculpt was broken. For the first 3 casts I put a little bit of pigment in so I could see the details better, didn't seem terribly helpful. 1st and 2nd mold both came out with a lot of mold release residue from the looks of it. Also broke when removing. 3rd cast worked (sorta) but had some issues on the bottom. Last one came out okay, but seems pretty matte. I'm thinking either the resin I'm using (Smooth Cast 320 which is the off-white that you see) isn't very high sheen, or that the clay sculpt I used wasn't polished prior to getting molded.

Next step is either re-sculpting the whole thing, then polishing it prior to or after baking (I dunno if that's the right way to go about it), or polishing the cast that I have (if that's possible) then making a new mold off of that.

If anyone knows the answer to that, I'm all ears :)
sometimes its hard to see details in photos, so what is the issue u are having. is it with the mold or resin?

Click it OR Ticket!

Offline Taylorisg

« Reply #63 on: Thu, 14 September 2017, 08:33:28 »
Decent-sized Update

A few things in the pipeline:

Got a vacuum chamber, which is fun. Excited to give it a whirl this week.

Since the tank broke coming out of the mold, and I wasn't really happy with a number of things, I decided to start over, this time with a small threaded barrel I found at Lowe's:
178322-0
Still not terribly happy with it, as I'm not getting the detail I'd like working with the Sculpey all at once. I think the next move is to work on individual parts, baking the mold in layers as I work on it. This should keep each part crisp and not muddying the details. Also I don't like the crawl tread at all so I think I'm going to re-design that.

I decided to re-work my Keymand Module by starting it from scratch on the $ynth:
178320-1
I wasn't 100% happy with the proportions (it looked too tall and lean for my liking) but it was fairly clean and I wanted to try mold-making again. At any rate, I put it on my counter to get the oven ready, and one of my kids found it and proceeded to smash it...
178324-2178326-3
Oops. Lesson learned there.

Instead of re-doing the Keymand Module yet again (I'm still not liking the limits of the V1 $ynth in terms of interior profile, and I have a V2 in the mail to try), I decided to make a quick palate cleanser, and do my first skull. To avoid the risk of re-hashing a common trope (and to further avoid comparing my work to those who have accomplished it much better than I could hope to), I went with a bird skull:
178328-4178330-5

We'll see how this goes. I now have a ton of different sculpts to re-do from scratch, but I very much enjoy sculpting, so it's not a big deal!

Offline Taylorisg

Re: Crafting Artisans: DON`T PUT YOUR SCULPTS WITHIN REACH OF YOUR KIDS
« Reply #64 on: Sat, 23 September 2017, 19:57:08 »
Big fat update

Okay, so this is a mish-mash of photos, anecdotes, and ways in which I'm sucking the time out of my day.

Ded birb. Made one, didn't much care for the profile, but it's too late now, so....
178964-0

I made V3 and V4 of the Apollo Keymand Module, and am in the process of casting it as a 2 piece mold.
V3 (booooo, too tall dumb dumb)
178944-1
V4 (yay, it looks just right. Now cast it!)
178946-2
 making the Mold
178948-3
Mold Achieved!
178950-4

Mini Keyper

This was an idea I've been toying around with, to the point of casting. Turns out pigment is hard, and I suck.

178952-5
Drippy reason makes me sad.
178954-6

Nekkid, again!

I'd been eager to give the Nekkid Mole Rat more of a go, so I decided to do just that. Molded the sucker, then made one, then two, then three, and so on... Now I'm making a 4-cap, 2-part mold for it half-because I wanted to prove to my wife that despite her thinking it's the most ridiculous thing, some people might actually go for it. Not smart people, mind you, but y'know, people. And the other half was because if I ever ended up selling artisans, selling something as ugly as this little dude would just warm my heart.

I decided to play with the translucency, and am thinking that the one in the middle is my horse.
178956-7

I wanted to make some masters, but decided why not have fun with it in the process. This is an Uruk Hai version:
178958-8

And a David Bowie version, which came out terrible because in my attempt to capture how his eyes dilated diffferently, I succeeded in making him look hella derpy.
178960-9

I was lucky enough to have time to meet up with someone coordinating a meetup here in Ohio, so I threw together a couple of artisans for them. My first fruits, if you will.
178962-10

Mold making, like a boss clueless person
178966-11

Offline djfunh8r

Re: Crafting Artisans: Make some ugly stuff!
« Reply #65 on: Fri, 29 September 2017, 10:23:02 »
How do the stems turn out on the synth vs when you make your two part mold to cast multiples?  I like the results with the synth but it kinda stinks making one at a time.

Offline Taylorisg

Crafting Artisans: Make some ugly stuff!
« Reply #66 on: Fri, 29 September 2017, 10:28:36 »
How do the stems turn out on the synth vs when you make your two part mold to cast multiples?  I like the results with the synth but it kinda stinks making one at a time.
So far so good, provided the bottom half of the mold comes out okay. I have had some issues with getting silicone to fill in the cruciform all the way, so now I just fill that part first and remove any trapped air before pouring the rest!

Edit: oh and also, I make sure to add a vent on the cruciform so no air gets trapped there  while casting.

Offline djfunh8r

« Reply #67 on: Fri, 29 September 2017, 10:36:33 »
So far so good, provided the bottom half of the mold comes out okay. I have had some issues with getting silicone to fill in the cruciform all the way, so now I just fill that part first and remove any trapped air before pouring the rest!

Edit: oh and also, I make sure to add a vent on the cruciform so no air gets trapped there  while casting.

It looks like maybe this is the cruciform vent?  I assume you just have one for each on the multiple molds?179246-0

Offline Taylorisg

« Reply #68 on: Fri, 29 September 2017, 10:38:13 »
That's it. Actually that photo is just 1 cap, so I have 4 there (3 placed on the corners of the cap, with 1 on the cruciform)...

For the 4 cap mold, it's a huge mess of swiss cheese holes...

Offline Taylorisg

« Reply #69 on: Fri, 29 September 2017, 10:40:57 »
I might add that how you pour the resin in matters in terms of venting.

My current method is tilting the mold and injecting the lowest vent with resin. Once it seeps out of the top vent, I know it's full and am relatively assured that there's minimal bubbles before it goes in the pot.

Offline AuthenticDanger

« Reply #70 on: Fri, 29 September 2017, 11:02:27 »
What clay are you using for you molds? I've been using some Air-Dry Clay by Crayola and it's way too soft.

Offline Taylorisg

« Reply #71 on: Fri, 29 September 2017, 11:09:35 »
What clay are you using for you molds? I've been using some Air-Dry Clay by Crayola and it's way too soft.
You mean as the base that I adhere my sculpt to in order to pour the silicone? Just super sculpey firm.

Offline AuthenticDanger

« Reply #72 on: Fri, 29 September 2017, 11:17:24 »
You mean as the base that I adhere my sculpt to in order to pour the silicone? Just super sculpey firm.

Ah, ok. I was gunna give that a go next unless there was a better recommendation.

Thanks!

Caps are lookin' good! Still interested in a Tankey to call my own ;)

Offline Taylorisg

« Reply #73 on: Fri, 29 September 2017, 11:35:12 »

Ah, ok. I was gunna give that a go next unless there was a better recommendation.

Thanks!

Caps are lookin' good! Still interested in a Tankey to call my own ;)
Thanks! I'm working on V4 of the Tankey now!

Offline xtianyves

• YvesDrop
« Reply #74 on: Sun, 08 October 2017, 10:45:11 »
Wow really impressed with your work so far! I am loving that tankey and am inspired enough to almost start down the artisan path myself. Haha if only I had the space to do it. I live in a tiny 1BR apartment and two kids so there's really nowhere to do the work.

Will continue to watch and see your work get better and better!

Offline Taylorisg

« Reply #75 on: Sun, 08 October 2017, 10:52:05 »
Wow really impressed with your work so far! I am loving that tankey and am inspired enough to almost start down the artisan path myself. Haha if only I had the space to do it. I live in a tiny 1BR apartment and two kids so there's really nowhere to do the work.

Don't be afraid to start! I have 4 kids at home and space is at a premium. Aside from the casting stuff, this is my set-up:

I pretty much keep sculpts in the Tupperware as I work on them, and just grab everything and take it to a table or couch when I have a little free time (my go-to is the 30 minutes I sit in the hallway while I'm waiting for the little ones to fall asleep).

You can do it! If nothing else, just start the sculpting part! I dove in (a little too soon I think) buying casting stuff once I realized how much I like sculpting, but you can make useable keys with just baked clay! Not easy to replicate should you ever decide to share it with the masses, but something you can enjoy!

Offline xtianyves

• YvesDrop
« Reply #76 on: Sun, 08 October 2017, 10:58:08 »

Don't be afraid to start! I have 4 kids at home and space is at a premium. Aside from the casting stuff, this is my set-up:

Show Image

I pretty much keep sculpts in the Tupperware as I work on them, and just grab everything and take it to a table or couch when I have a little free time (my go-to is the 30 minutes I sit in the hallway while I'm waiting for the little ones to fall asleep).

You can do it! If nothing else, just start the sculpting part! I dove in (a little too soon I think) buying casting stuff once I realized how much I like sculpting, but you can make useable keys with just baked clay! Not easy to replicate should you ever decide to share it with the masses, but something you can enjoy!

Wow now I feel bad about having just the two! I've spent the better part of the past two months doing my research and it's hard to piece together exactly what I need to start but thanks for this thread it's really nice to see how things come together. At least I know I have tons of LEGO pieces to use for use with my own projects!

That's some real dedication and I must give you kudos for the work! I hope to find some time to start in the next couple of weeks since I have a ton of ideas brewing. Just a little busy running a business with my wife at the moment!

Offline Taylorisg

Re: Crafting Artisans: Make some things!
« Reply #77 on: Thu, 02 November 2017, 15:00:23 »
Been dormant for a while, but I'm excited to announce I finally got this thing figured out enough to squeak out a small sale!

181355-0

For what it's worth, here's the listing! https://www.reddit.com/r/mechmarket/comments/7acnpc/artisanthe_miniature_mini_keyper_artisan_sale_by/

Let me just say, thank you to anyone and everyone who has viewed, commented, and shared on this thread so far! So excited to make this dream a reality!

Offline djfunh8r

Making Stuff Together!
« Reply #78 on: Thu, 02 November 2017, 17:02:49 »
hoping to get one of these!   :thumb:

Offline Taylorisg

« Reply #79 on: Thu, 02 November 2017, 17:04:04 »
hoping to get one of these!   :thumb:
Thanks for the support!!!

Offline AuthenticDanger

« Reply #80 on: Sun, 12 November 2017, 23:42:21 »
Monthly check in on your thread. Keeping my eyes peeled for a Tankey...

Carry on and keep up the good work!  :thumb:

Offline Taylorisg

« Reply #81 on: Mon, 13 November 2017, 06:02:22 »

Ha thanks! Got some molds in the works, and tankey is on its 5th(!) redesign

For the time being, I'll just leave this right here:

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #82 on: Mon, 13 November 2017, 11:38:21 »

Ha thanks! Got some molds in the works, and tankey is on its 5th(!) redesign

For the time being, I'll just leave this right here:
Show Image

Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline sidebooob

« Reply #83 on: Tue, 14 November 2017, 16:04:32 »
Fantastic guide, this has helped me a lot!

BTTF gib pls.

Offline sinkingstepz

« Reply #84 on: Wed, 06 June 2018, 22:08:50 »
more boomsnep pls

Offline Cavemann6

« Reply #85 on: Wed, 06 June 2018, 22:09:20 »
Are you still making artisans?

Offline Taylorisg

« Reply #86 on: Wed, 06 June 2018, 22:10:06 »

Sure.

Sure.
more boomsnep pls

Ok. You have convinced me.

Offline Topernicus

« Reply #87 on: Wed, 06 June 2018, 22:10:44 »
NE moar NASA or Tank keps avail?

Offline Taylorisg

« Reply #88 on: Wed, 06 June 2018, 22:11:22 »
NE moar NASA or Tank keps avail?

I have the molds.

Offline sinkingstepz

« Reply #89 on: Wed, 06 June 2018, 22:12:52 »

Offline Cavemann6

« Reply #90 on: Wed, 06 June 2018, 22:12:57 »

Offline OneNightFriend

« Reply #91 on: Wed, 06 June 2018, 22:13:06 »
What flavor resin do you use

Offline Taylorisg

« Reply #94 on: Wed, 06 June 2018, 22:18:20 »

Sure.

Sure.
more boomsnep pls

Ok.

Ok.

Sure.

Sure.
more boomsnep pls

Tankey or riot

Yes.
What flavor resin do you use

Cheeky.
What types of cheek are we talking here?

If the question is do I use beef-cheek flavored resin, I think you already know the answer based on my sleeve tattoos with references to culinary counterculture, bold yet groomed beard and product-suspended hair, and statement prescription eyewear.

Offline Cavemann6

« Reply #96 on: Wed, 06 June 2018, 22:19:39 »
One of your neat caps  ;D

More

« Last Edit: Wed, 06 June 2018, 22:23:42 by Cavemann6 »

Offline Taylorisg