Author Topic: [GB] Pearl 40% R1 Complete - www.pearlboards.com - Thank you!  (Read 201219 times)

Offline d.caminero

Re: [GB] Pearl 40% - Shipments arriving, QC'ing/sorting - www.pearlboards.com
« Reply #400 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 07:10:20 »

this is the most dedicated gb I've ever been in! so much efforts put into the setup, build log and all. Glad to be a part of it.  :thumb:

Cannot agree more with this. Every detail has been taken care of, and communication has been more than necessary, even when there was no new info.

Neat job Koob! :thumb: :thumb:

Offline Koobaczech

• Don't forget to smile :)
    • Pearlboards
« Reply #401 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 09:17:36 »
Thank you again fellas, for real. I work a lot every day, in and out of work, and understand what it means to have someone else's hard earned cash in hand. When I join a GB, I don't really expect the best product. What I do expect are updates, pictures, information, and my money to be handled responsibly. I guess I'm trying to manage this exactly like id want my product handled when I join other GB's. And I've been ****ed on a few buys that I wont mention, ended up selling my spot or never receiving my product, and I was quite frankly tired of it. Hoping to make it right for you guys!

Offline lordgiblite

« Reply #402 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 09:53:27 »
Thank you again fellas, for real. I work a lot every day, in and out of work, and understand what it means to have someone else's hard earned cash in hand. When I join a GB, I don't really expect the best product. What I do expect are updates, pictures, information, and my money to be handled responsibly. I guess I'm trying to manage this exactly like id want my product handled when I join other GB's. And I've been ****ed on a few buys that I wont mention, ended up selling my spot or never receiving my product, and I was quite frankly tired of it. Hoping to make it right for you guys!

I think you're handling this better than you think, you constantly keep all of us updated and I think using Instagram as another form of updates was flat out genius! So if your goal was to handle this like a group buy you would want to be a part of I think you succeeded and went above and beyond! Thanks for making this a wonderful experience  :D

Offline JFKroflcopter

« Reply #403 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 10:10:38 »

I think you're handling this better than you think, you constantly keep all of us updated and I think using Instagram as another form of updates was flat out genius! So if your goal was to handle this like a group buy you would want to be a part of I think you succeeded and went above and beyond! Thanks for making this a wonderful experience  :D
Seriously. As a participant in this group buy, I genuinely feel spoiled with all the detailed updates and pictures. Hats off to Koob for all his hard work and dedication.

Incredible job, Koob!  :thumb:

Offline Koobaczech

• Pearlboards
« Reply #404 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 10:22:08 »
Much much love friends!! <3

Edit: Since it got lost on page 8, here it is again

1. When screwing in the 4 case screws, do them all slowly at the same time. Don't screw in one fully and then the next and then the next etc
2. Same with the plate! This prevents stripping.
3. If your brass plate is slightly bowed or bent, just apply a tiny bit of leverage and bend it back.
4. On the switchplate, the OPEN 2u top corner is where the backspace goes, if you can orient your plate correctly.
5. Do not touch brass with your bare hands or water. It will tarnish unevenly
6. Peel film off both sides of the plastic diffuser! I wrote "Peel" on the side that seems like it doesn't have a film, but it does :P
7. You can download the default hex files and both the windows and mac versions of BMC (Bootmapper client) on www.pearlboards.com/setup
8. This is the default flashed layout made by me and flashed using Bootmapper client
https://i.imgur.com/CasX4mA.png

Can't wait to spend three weeks beating my head against a wall trying to get my custom layout flashed :))
If you need help don't hesitate to ask man!
« Last Edit: Thu, 22 February 2018, 10:54:21 by Koobaczech »

Offline hndle

Re: [GB] Pearl 40% - Shipments arriving->Sorting->Shipping - www.pearlboards.com
« Reply #405 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 11:10:42 »
Everyone who participates in this GB looks happy. :thumb:

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
Re: [GB] Pearl 40% - Shipments arriving->Sorting->Shipping - www.pearlboards.com
« Reply #406 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 12:07:43 »
Dude... packaging!  :eek: incredible. Thanks man, its like opening a christmas present from a family member  :thumb:

Building 'Earl' tonight. Still mulling over what switches to use... Aliaz? Silent Blacks? Vintage blacks?
-Dana

Offline Koobaczech

• Pearlboards
« Reply #407 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 12:23:52 »
Haha :D! Thank you sir. Ah such hard decisions. My favorite build uses Lubed Panda housings with a gat yellow spring and stem. So smooth..

Offline lordgiblite

Haha :D! Thank you sir. Ah such hard decisions. My favorite build uses Lubed Panda housings with a gat yellow spring and stem. So smooth..
Well looks like I know what switch I plan on making next, probably for an eventual pearl build (first PCB gets Box Jades)

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

Offline Koobaczech

• Pearlboards
« Reply #409 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 12:27:47 »
Switches are very interesting, and I'm super picky about my builds! There's so many combinations and mods and tunes. Id say don't take my word for it, but try to mod some switches and see what you like best! :) That being said, dang, I'm itching to try a full Jade build!
« Last Edit: Thu, 22 February 2018, 12:30:32 by Koobaczech »

Offline lordgiblite

Switches are very interesting, and I'm super picky about my builds! There's so many combinations and mods and tunes. Id say don't take my word for it, but try to mod some switches and see what you like best! :)
One of my favorite mods so far are silent blacks in zealios housings with Gat yellow springs, working them in right now before lubing them but I love them.

Offline Koobaczech

• Pearlboards
One of my favorite mods so far are silent blacks in zealios housings with Gat yellow springs, working them in right now before lubing them but I love them.
Dang!! I need to try that haha

Offline lordgiblite

Dang!! I need to try that haha
Definitely a great linear switch IMO

Offline eyedrop

« Reply #413 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 12:46:19 »
This GB has:

• Constant update - checked
  • Plenty of pictures - checked
  • Responsive to PMs - checked
  • Slightly ahead of schedule - checked

I am glad to be part of this GB.  Now all I need is a personal note inside my Pearl when I open it up and a card with koob's cell phone for 24x7 customer service support.  /s

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #414 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 12:47:54 »
Switches are very interesting, and I'm super picky about my builds! There's so many combinations and mods and tunes. Id say don't take my word for it, but try to mod some switches and see what you like best! :) That being said, dang, I'm itching to try a full Jade build!

Man, i just put some Jades in a hotswap board I have. They are weird.  I wouldn't do it if you're going to solder in permanently.  The tuning of the click bar to spring is close but not quite right.  It almost gives you the feeling of the key actuating on release instead of press.  It took me several hours to feel comfortable on it.  Also, I don't know if it's just the stabilizer wire in this board, but I couldn't get a jade switch working correctly on the space bar.  The jade switch would get stuck for a very brief moment after release.  I had to swap in a navy which worked well but of course is a bit on the heavy side and took some getting used to.

For me, these jade switches are more satisfying if you type in a very particualr manner.  It's almost like you have to quick-strike them.  Hard press and fast release yield the best typing experience for me on them.  This isn't how I usually type, though.  Gaaah, it's taking me forever to even type this reply with them.

Offline lordgiblite

Man, i just put some Jades in a hotswap board I have. They are weird.  I wouldn't do it if you're going to solder in permanently.  The tuning of the click bar to spring is close but not quite right.  It almost gives you the feeling of the key actuating on release instead of press.  It took me several hours to feel comfortable on it.  Also, I don't know if it's just the stabilizer wire in this board, but I couldn't get a jade switch working correctly on the space bar.  The jade switch would get stuck for a very brief moment after release.  I had to swap in a navy which worked well but of course is a bit on the heavy side and took some getting used to.

For me, these jade switches are more satisfying if you type in a very particualr manner.  It's almost like you have to quick-strike them.  Hard press and fast release yield the best typing experience for me on them.  This isn't how I usually type, though.  Gaaah, it's taking me forever to even type this reply with them.
I actually desoldered the jades from a different board. I love how they feel, and as far as the space bar goes a few things could of happened. Either lubing the spacebar can fix it or the switch/space bar is slightly crooked which can cause too much pressure on the switch not allowing for an easy return. Thanks for the word or warning but I think I got this lol ;)

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder

I actually desoldered the jades from a different board. I love how they feel, and as far as the space bar goes a few things could of happened. Either lubing the spacebar can fix it or the switch/space bar is slightly crooked which can cause too much pressure on the switch not allowing for an easy return. Thanks for the word or warning but I think I got this lol ;)

I think it's most likely the stabilizer wire not being just right.  I've written an in-depth post on here recently about how much I truly hate cherry stabilizers.  GRRRRRRR.

I've lubed the stabilizer posts with thin lube to no avail.  If I was going to commit to a full board I would probably use costar stabilizers to avoid the issue.  It actually feels quite nice with a navy under the space bar though.  I'm forcing myself to get used to these for now.  I'm planning to switch out to a full board of navy tomorrow.

Offline Koobaczech

• Pearlboards
« Reply #417 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 12:59:13 »
I am glad to be part of this GB.  Now all I need is a personal note inside my Pearl when I open it up and a card with koob's cell phone for 24x7 customer service support.  /s
Hahaha thanks so much man, I will happily oblige. Just to be clear, you wanted an extra PCB right, and the updated color change right, nothing else? If so your order goes out tomorrow!

That's super interesting! I have a single Jade and I can see what you mean. Sucks that box switches cant be tuned either, so you are stuck with what you have. Have you tried box whites? I love those.

But he said that swapping the switch fixed it. So HMMMMMMMM. The plot thickens my friend

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #418 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 13:02:08 »
I do have a board with box pale blue.  I like them but they actuate so easily it makes for lot of errors on my part.  I only have 1 test box white.

Offline lordgiblite

I think it's most likely the stabilizer wire not being just right.  I've written an in-depth post on here recently about how much I truly hate cherry stabilizers.  GRRRRRRR.

I've lubed the stabilizer posts with thin lube to no avail.  If I was going to commit to a full board I would probably use costar stabilizers to avoid the issue.  It actually feels quite nice with a navy under the space bar though.  I'm forcing myself to get used to these for now.  I'm planning to switch out to a full board of navy tomorrow.

The one problem with the Jades is part of the BOX switch design I think, the housing itself is slightly larger than other MX clones and so if the plate is too snug the addition friction caused by the plate "squishing" the switch doesn't allow the Jade to go back over the click bar, Mike from Novelkeys talked about this a little on a TopClack episode I believe. But as long as I'm careful I should be fine with Jades in the Pearl (I have zeal stabs too so much better than the standard cherry ones IMO)

Offline Koobaczech

• Pearlboards
« Reply #420 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 13:36:48 »
Let us know how the box switches fit on the brass plate Lord! :thumb:

Offline lordgiblite

Let us know how the box switches fit on the brass plate Lord! :thumb:
Will do! I'm looking forward to piecing everything together :D

Offline ojrask

• juuh elikkäs
« Reply #422 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 15:08:47 »
Still don't know what switches I will use on the Pearl40%. I like Zealios but R10 takes ages to get fulfilled. I have ordered Box Navies but I would prefer having those on some other keyboard. Maybe Gateron Browns with swapped heavier springs? Anyone know anything similar to 67g/78g Zealios which I might like?
Current:
    Ducky DK9008P [MX Blues] | WASD V2 TKL [MX Blues] | r63 (Satan 60% DIY) [Gateron Browns] | BananaSplit 60% [Gateron Greens] | UK78 [67g Zealios] | Infinity ErgoDox [MX Clears] | Pearl 40% [78g Zealios] | G81-3000
Coming up:
    DZ60/SKB60-WKL [100g MX Silent Blacks] | G81-3000 [Box Navies] Handwire
IC/GB:
    GMK Strogg | G81/80-3000 MX metal plate

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #423 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 15:18:36 »
Still don't know what switches I will use on the Pearl40%. I like Zealios but R10 takes ages to get fulfilled. I have ordered Box Navies but I would prefer having those on some other keyboard. Maybe Gateron Browns with swapped heavier springs? Anyone know anything similar to 67g/78g Zealios which I might like?

you can buy zeals at retail price

or, you can do my stupid way: buy bsun browns, MX clears, and the desired springs; combine

(clear stem, bsun housing, whatever spring you want)
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline eyedrop

« Reply #424 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 15:32:12 »
Hahaha thanks so much man, I will happily oblige. Just to be clear, you wanted an extra PCB right, and the updated color change right, nothing else? If so your order goes out tomorrow!

I was thinking to get an acrylic plate with the extra PCB.  But you do not have the acrylic plates yet, correct?

Offline Koobaczech

• Pearlboards
« Reply #425 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 15:55:50 »
Lmao Puddsys combination is wild. I need to try that. Also, you can just buy non R10 Zealios bro, they are probably still really good!?

I was thinking to get an acrylic plate with the extra PCB.  But you do not have the acrylic plates yet, correct?
Oh yes that's right! I looked through my pms but didn't see anything about that there, its because you posted it in the thread, my bad. I'll have 2 Saturday, hoping they work and then I'm giving Jordi the green light to make the rest! What stabs do you plan on using? If you use non screw ins, the plate will work even if it fails screw in stabs.

or, you can do my stupid way: buy bsun browns, MX clears, and the desired springs; combine
Puddsy, got a video or picture or writeup on that combination?

Offline ojrask

• juuh elikkäs
« Reply #426 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 16:01:05 »
Lmao Puddsys combination is wild. I need to try that. Also, you can just buy non R10 Zealios bro, they are probably still really good!?

ZealPC.net is not stocking those it seems. Maybe KBDfans has some or something. I wonder what the differences between R8 through R10 are. I've used R7 myself.

Puddsy's suggestion sounds intriguing though. :D
Current:
    Ducky DK9008P [MX Blues] | WASD V2 TKL [MX Blues] | r63 (Satan 60% DIY) [Gateron Browns] | BananaSplit 60% [Gateron Greens] | UK78 [67g Zealios] | Infinity ErgoDox [MX Clears] | Pearl 40% [78g Zealios] | G81-3000
Coming up:
    DZ60/SKB60-WKL [100g MX Silent Blacks] | G81-3000 [Box Navies] Handwire
IC/GB:
    GMK Strogg | G81/80-3000 MX metal plate

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #427 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 16:06:03 »

not onhand but i have them in my mira and they're good
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Koobaczech

• Pearlboards
« Reply #428 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 16:17:05 »
How would you compare your bsuns to zealios Puddsy? Just curious!

Offline eyedrop

« Reply #429 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 16:47:54 »

Oh yes that's right! I looked through my pms but didn't see anything about that there, its because you posted it in the thread, my bad. I'll have 2 Saturday, hoping they work and then I'm giving Jordi the green light to make the rest! What stabs do you plan on using? If you use non screw ins, the plate will work even if it fails screw in stabs.

I can use screw in or not, doesn't matter.  I have both.  I'm confused, which one works better in this case?

Are you planning to ship the Pearl for those that request acrylic plates later when the plate is made?  Or shipping them separately?

Offline Koobaczech

• Pearlboards
« Reply #430 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 16:56:18 »
Screw in stabs have not worked that well, I've had to dremmel the plates. Hopefully these new plates fix the issue though! I plan on shipping the Pearl with the Plates, unless otherwise requested. Saves a few bucks and the packaging on the Pearl is real tight so might be safer!

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #431 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 16:57:00 »
How would you compare your bsuns to zealios Puddsy? Just curious!

i used MX black springs, so about the same as 78g, but they have a big bump on return, which is what i like

Offline eyedrop

« Reply #432 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 17:15:25 »
Screw in stabs have not worked that well, I've had to dremmel the plates. Hopefully these new plates fix the issue though! I plan on shipping the Pearl with the Plates, unless otherwise requested. Saves a few bucks and the packaging on the Pearl is real tight so might be safer!

No worries, you can ship them together.  I'll get a new invoice with the extra parts anyway when it is ready.  I can wait a little longer.   :thumb:

Offline BobCarltheThird

« Reply #433 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 17:23:58 »
Just got my board in! Gonna have to build it tommorow when I get off work ;D
***loads of Vaseline for my meme TMO50 -- Acereconkeys

Offline metalliccharles

« Reply #434 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 17:54:12 »
Koob! Holy sh*t!  The board is gorgeous :eek:  and the GB has really raised the bar.  Can't wait to build this thing!

Offline BobCarltheThird

« Reply #435 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 18:12:17 »
Koob! Holy sh*t!  The board is gorgeous :eek:  and the GB has really raised the bar.  Can't wait to build this thing!
It's so small too! Gonna be an easy build I think :))

Offline Koobaczech

• Pearlboards
« Reply #436 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 18:18:20 »
Have they been arriving ok!? Thanks guys!!

Offline metalliccharles

« Reply #437 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 18:21:34 »

Let's just say if whatever you do for a living isn't panning out, you have a promising career in packaging!  :p

Offline Koobaczech

• Pearlboards
« Reply #438 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 18:23:20 »
Wow lmao!!!! :D

Offline BobCarltheThird

« Reply #439 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 18:47:08 »
Pretty sure you could throw that packaging out a plane and it'd come out OK :)). The only real suggestion I would have is to maybe not package the PCB and plate in the same bundle. I could see that causing issues if the package has a particularly rough travel.

Offline metalliccharles

« Reply #440 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 19:01:03 »
Had to take some nudes.

...I'm not sure what to do from here...

Offline Koobaczech

• Pearlboards
« Reply #441 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 19:06:09 »
Oh my.............

Offline eyedrop

« Reply #442 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 19:32:03 »
That is beautiful, metalliccharles.   :thumb:

Mine should be similar.  Still thinking...

Offline BobCarltheThird

« Reply #443 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 19:35:12 »
Putting MOD-H switches in mine, wish the stems color matched my purple pearl but I'm not too bothered by it.

Offline Koobaczech

• Pearlboards
« Reply #444 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 19:41:03 »
But who did it first? *thinking*

Pretty sure you could throw that packaging out a plane and it'd come out OK :)). The only real suggestion I would have is to maybe not package the PCB and plate in the same bundle. I could see that causing issues if the package has a particularly rough travel.
Also bro! I put the PCB's with the plastic diffusers for rigidity. I dont think i packed a single pcb with a plate, unless i derped

Offline eyedrop

« Reply #445 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 19:44:34 »
Not fair, koob.  We have to buy 2 Pearls to get that setup.   :p

Offline Koobaczech

• Pearlboards
« Reply #446 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 19:45:42 »
Haha! To be completely fair, page one states that you can choose different color tops and bottoms!

Offline Robotical

« Reply #447 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 21:09:14 »
Not fair, koob.  We have to buy 2 Pearls to get that setup.   :p

Or you have someone steal your cyan base.........

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #448 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 21:15:59 »
Hey for anyone who plans to use Alps switches on this board, make sure to support BlindAssassin's nexus slider project if you're interested in MX caps on your Alps switches:

Most recently he's solved a way to use them on clicky alps and a clever MX to Alps stabilizer insert. 

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=93403.msg2565585#msg2565585

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #449 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 22:39:21 »
#4 checking in...

Went with the 70g Aliaz
-Dana