Author Topic: Corsair Strafe Vs. Rosewill RK-9000V2  (Read 2722 times)

Offline pyrimis

Corsair Strafe Vs. Rosewill RK-9000V2
« on: Thu, 23 March 2017, 22:28:09 »
Hey guys
I am looking to buy a new mechanical keyboard for less than $100. I am currently torn between the Corsair Strafe and the Rosewill RK-9000V2. Currently, I am leaning toward the Corsair Strafe mainly because I really do not like the design of the angled cable on the Rosewill.

Which one would you guys choose and why? Am I overlooking another board in this price range that is better than both? Also, does the strafe have the metal plate in the back like the Rosewill? If not then the choice is simple.

I want MX Browns. This keyboard will be used at work for programming only. Thanks!
« Last Edit: Fri, 24 March 2017, 00:48:22 by pyrimis »

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
Re: Corsair Strafe Vs. Rosewill RK-9000V2
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 23 March 2017, 23:59:41 »
RK9K has standard bottom row, so it's better
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 24 March 2017, 13:01:09 »
Some questions

1. How often do you use the numpad?
2. Do you use the arrow keys?
3. Do you use the Function rows. F1-F12

Offline DuckNorris

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 24 March 2017, 13:32:40 »
Some questions

Good way to start because if he wants MX browns there are much better options keyboard wise.

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 24 March 2017, 14:02:52 »
Rk-9000V2 for sure.  Here's a few things to consider:

1. Costar build, Costar stabilizer (no mushy bottom out vs the Strafe).
2. The angle plug is to reduce strain on the mini B port, for durability reasons.  You can always buy your own cable later if you don't like it.
3. Standard bottom row, good if you switch keycap later.
4. This is preference, but I like the minimalist look better.
5. This might or might not be an issue, sometimes complex USB implementation has issue on KVM (if your work uses it) and Rosewill will not have that issue, Strafe you have to flip to BIOS mode so it uses 125 Hz (default is 1000 Hz).

Another similar option is CM Storm XT (full size) or CM Storm QuickFire Rapid (tenkeyless).

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline pyrimis

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 24 March 2017, 17:34:01 »
Some questions

1. I could go without the numpad
2. I need the arrow keys
3. I need the function rows

Good way to start because if he wants MX browns there are much better options keyboard wise.

Like what? And if you say CM QFR/XT, please provide a link where I can purchase it for under $100.

Rk-9000V2 for sure.  Here's a few things to consider:

1. Costar build, Costar stabilizer (no mushy bottom out vs the Strafe).
2. The angle plug is to reduce strain on the mini B port, for durability reasons.  You can always buy your own cable later if you don't like it.
3. Standard bottom row, good if you switch keycap later.
4. This is preference, but I like the minimalist look better.
5. This might or might not be an issue, sometimes complex USB implementation has issue on KVM (if your work uses it) and Rosewill will not have that issue, Strafe you have to flip to BIOS mode so it uses 125 Hz (default is 1000 Hz).

Another similar option is CM Storm XT (full size) or CM Storm QuickFire Rapid (tenkeyless).

This is exactly what I was looking for! Thank you! I would love to get a CM QFR or XT. The problem is I have been unable to find them anywhere. Every place I look is sold out. I don't know if CM makes those boards anymore.

Offline DuckNorris

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 24 March 2017, 18:32:14 »
Whew the suggestion I had for you is $120 so that won't work. 

But you can buy a Refurbished CM QFR. I don't think those are made anymore.

Offline carmenohio

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 24 March 2017, 21:19:46 »
Out of those two, the Rosewill RK-9000V2 is the much better keyboard.  If you ever decide to get fancier keycaps, then you are able to with the RK-9000V2.  With the Strafe, you'll be stuck with the ****ty stock keycaps since Corsair does not use a standard layout for any of its keyboards.  Even stock, I prefer the RK-9000V2.  Build quality is superior, and I think the Costar stabilizers for the larger keys on the RK-9000V2 feel nicer than Cherry stabilizers (personal preference, but it seems most on here agree with my opinion).

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 24 March 2017, 22:28:33 »
The rosewill is nicer all around. I know what I'm about to suggest instead though is $19 above your listed price, but I REALLY think it's worth it. Top notch build quality, very nice pbt keycaps. It's going to be fantastic to type on and should last you a long time.  I'm a very frugal person and I always look for the best value when making a purchase. Keyboards are one thing where I believe bumping your budget from $100 to $120 gives a noticeable and worthwhile benefit.

Leopold fc900r
https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1571
keyboards.

Offline pyrimis

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 24 March 2017, 22:53:22 »
Whew the suggestion I had for you is $120 so that won't work. 

But you can buy a Refurbished CM QFR. I don't think those are made anymore.

I would rather pony up and buy a new board than go used. That said I am open to hearing suggestions at $120. If you really think it was worth the extra ~$30 over the Rosewill, I am all ears.

The rosewill is nicer all around. I know what I'm about to suggest instead though is $19 above your listed price, but I REALLY think it's worth it. Top notch build quality, very nice pbt keycaps. It's going to be fantastic to type on and should last you a long time.  I'm a very frugal person and I always look for the best value when making a purchase. Keyboards are one thing where I believe bumping your budget from $100 to $120 gives a noticeable and worthwhile benefit.

Leopold fc900r

Thanks for this. If you really think that the leopold is worth the extra money, I am not opposed to shelling out. Do others agree and also think that the leopold is worth it?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 25 March 2017, 02:15:57 »
I have the 9000v2  the build quality is very good.

Offline mixProtocol

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 25 March 2017, 10:12:51 »
I'm sort of looking at the same... I have a CM Storm QuickFire XT (browns) at the office and was interested in getting the same for home, only to find it's basically discontinued/unavailable...

How does the CM Masterkeys Pro L stack up?
« Last Edit: Sat, 25 March 2017, 11:24:02 by mixProtocol »

Offline Hyde

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 27 March 2017, 17:31:14 »

Leopold fc900r

Thanks for this. If you really think that the leopold is worth the extra money, I am not opposed to shelling out. Do others agree and also think that the leopold is worth it?

Leopold FC900R is a very nice keyboard.  I actually can't read Koreans but I know the specs so I'll briefly explains:

http://www.leopold.co.kr/?doc=cart/item.php&it_id=1415002140

If you look at the pictures, so it has thick PBT keycaps, clipped Cherry stabilizers (not mushy, though I still think Costar stabilizer a little bit smoother), sound absorbing foam inside keyboard (to reduce echo), and nice giant padded angled feet.

Though keycap material is subjective, while most people like PBT I find I actually like ABS a bit better because I find PBT too unforgiving.

So compare to Rosewill, Leopold pack in A LOT more features.  I think you can't go wrong with either.  There are different elements I like better on either keyboards so at that point it's preference, but most might feel Leopold is more "worth it" (since PBT keycaps alone will already net you $75~100 if bought elsewhere).

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 27 March 2017, 20:34:02 »
the rosewill 9000v2 was $25 on sale after rebate..

that's when I got mine..    Not sure the leopold is worth $70 more..

Offline Hyde

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 27 March 2017, 21:49:04 »
the rosewill 9000v2 was $25 on sale after rebate..

that's when I got mine..    Not sure the leopold is worth $70 more..

Yeah that's something to consider too.  Newegg usually have bigger sales while Leopold price is more consistent.

My friend also bought Rosewill RK9000V2 few months back while it was on sale.

At full price, I'd probably lean more towards Leopold, but if you can catch it on sale, then Rosewill will present to be a better value.

Offline Skull_Angel

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 27 March 2017, 22:35:35 »
With Leoppold being suggested, I was going to suggest a Varmilo, but the pricing is a bit of a stretch from what it was when I purchased mine (~$80USD w/Gateron Black from Massdrop a year ago). If you can find one for $100(USD) or under I would say it's worth it; nearly identical to Leopold from what I've experienced (either share a manufacturing plant or Varmilo manufacturers for Lopold, per. DT wiki).