Author Topic: My New Beam Spring Keyboard  (Read 4024 times)

Offline limelight

My New Beam Spring Keyboard
« on: Sun, 26 March 2017, 08:26:13 »
I have been looking for a beam spring keyboard for over a month now. I had no luck after phoning and emailing every possible supplier I could find. A forum member said he would sell me one but then sold it to someone else. The only one I could find for sale anywhere in the world was on a classifieds site in Milan. Using Google Translate, I made a deal and after 14 hours of traveling, I finally have my beam spring keyboard. Now I have to clean it up, get a USB controller, and hope that it still works.

Offline need

Re: My New Beam Spring Keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 26 March 2017, 09:39:41 »
That's in pretty good condition, I wonder how much you paid?

Offline zslane

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 26 March 2017, 10:23:51 »
Does it have a working solenoid?

Offline limelight

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 26 March 2017, 10:26:27 »
I paid €140 for it including the terminal. I could have tried to negotiate for less but the costs of travel and time spent made it insignificant. The previous owner used to work on it but he said he took it home and put it in his closet 20 years ago.

I don't see any damage to the body other than fine scratches. The only problems I see is the keyboard is slightly offset about 1 or 2 mm to the right of where it should be in the body, one screw is missing on the bottom, the rubber mat is flaking away, and the 5 key on the number pad is slightly angled.

Offline limelight

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 26 March 2017, 10:27:41 »

I hope so. I need to find a solenoid driver as well as a USB controller.

Offline 3K

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 26 March 2017, 10:51:23 »
I'm jealous! But these guys seem to need quite a lot of work to make them work.

May I ask on what site exactly you found it? Just italian ebay?

Model M '88    | Model M SSK '87 | HHKB P2  | Zowie FK1

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 26 March 2017, 11:03:27 »
It's beautiful.

Offline need

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 26 March 2017, 11:18:01 »

There's currently a group buy for the controller and solenoid driver over at Deskthority.

Offline limelight

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 26 March 2017, 13:04:20 »
I'm jealous! But these guys seem to need quite a lot of work to make them work.

May I ask on what site exactly you found it? Just italian ebay?

It was on Subito.it. A craigslist style classified ads site but it's all in Italian and so was the ad. There's no others on there and the seller only had the one terminal. I found it on Google by searching every single keyboard part number and terminal number. It was the only beam spring keyboard for sale anywhere in the world. My backup plan was to keep checking eBay and prepare to have a bidding war once one went up for sale. There were none for sale on eBay.com, eBay.co.uk, eBay.de, or eBay.it. I checked everywhere. The online stores that have these keyboards listed will refund your money if you try to order them or the ones that make you contact them first will tell you they are out of stock.

There's currently a group buy for the controller and solenoid driver over at Deskthority.

Thanks, I'll check it out. I also PMed xwhatsit.

Offline limelight

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 26 March 2017, 13:07:33 »
The pictures and videos of these keyboards do not prepare you for how large and heavy it really is. Here is a picture of it next to my bolt modded Model M. The Model M at its thickest is thinner than the beam spring at its thinnest. I'll try to post some higher resolution pictures of it once I have it cleaned up and USB modded.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 26 March 2017, 14:06:51 »
beamspring #1
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Neo.X

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 27 March 2017, 11:21:08 »
The pictures and videos of these keyboards do not prepare you for how large and heavy it really is. Here is a picture of it next to my bolt modded Model M. The Model M at its thickest is thinner than the beam spring at its thinnest. I'll try to post some higher resolution pictures of it once I have it cleaned up and USB modded.

Show Image

Holy ****!. It's a beast.

Really nice keyboard.
All those keyboards will be lost in time....

Offline y11971alex

• Looking for Toronto meetup
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 27 March 2017, 23:02:58 »
 :D
Keyboards owned: IBM Selectric | 3278 | 3101 | 5251 | Model F XT | AT | 122 (6110344) | Model M 1390120 | 1390131 | 1391472 | 1392464 (DisplayWriter SSK) | 1395100 (SSK) | Honeywell RD IBM 09F4230 | Leading Edge DC-2014 (Blue Alps) | Chicony 5891 (Monterey Blue) | E&E-101 (KPT Blue) | BTC 5100 | 5100C | 5369 | DEC VT100 (Hi-tek Linear) | Burroughs TP109 (Hall) | Realforce 87 (55g)

Keyboards wanted: IBM Model F 104 (Unsaver) | Model M 1391401