Author Topic: Split Spacebar Model M  (Read 2220 times)

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
Split Spacebar Model M
« on: Sat, 20 May 2017, 15:31:22 »
I discovered this about 5 years ago when I was getting into wheelwriters, that the wheelwriter spacebar and "code" key would fit on a model M. It requires you to move some spring around thouh.

A few years after that I decided to mod one of my terminal model Ms to be bolt modded. I think I was bolt modding all my model Ms I swapped some things around but I couldn't get the "-" key on the numberpad to work. I now suspect I was just using the wrong key in soarer's firmware but oh well. I ended up cutting the traces off the PCB.

I wanted to use a terminal M because you need a controller / converter anyway, and I needed it so that I could remap the keys. I also like how the controller bolts to the back of the plate instead of just sitting in the case. Finally, I liked the cable channel on the bottom. I actually did a lot of work trying to get this working, I grabbed a new controller, another compatible terminal controller, a new membrane sheet, etc.

So today I grabbed a teensy from my order and soldered it up. What remains is to grab a USB cable and to program it. I might cut the USB connector off the teensy to get it to fit better: still not decided. Here are some pictures. As always, ask questions and I'll answer them next time I'm online.

P1090869 by dork_vader_exe, on Flickr

P1090870 by dork_vader_exe, on Flickr

P1090871 by dork_vader_exe, on Flickr

P1090872 by dork_vader_exe, on Flickr

Offline Phenix

Re: Split Spacebar Model M
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 21 May 2017, 11:57:36 »
looks neat! tough i prefer  the MF style..
Winter is coming.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 25 May 2017, 07:58:23 »
What's a good firmware for this? I usually go with soarer but it's not really current anymore. I really liked how I can quickly change layout, this saves a lot of time when figuring out a new kb matrix. Any thoughts?

Also what's the mf layout? I have most of the model fs and most of the model ms so im curious.

Sent from mobile

Offline Phenix

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 25 May 2017, 09:23:01 »
its in the groupbuy thread.
however its set on ice for now.
Winter is coming.

Offline jorgenslee

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 25 May 2017, 09:59:03 »
What's a good firmware for this? I usually go with soarer but it's not really current anymore. I really liked how I can quickly change layout, this saves a lot of time when figuring out a new kb matrix. Any thoughts?

Also what's the mf layout? I have most of the model fs and most of the model ms so im curious.

Sent from mobile

This is the split spacebar on Model MF project:

DT Thread: https://deskthority.net/group-buys-f50/model-mf-drop-in-kit-for-converting-the-ibm-model-m-into-an-f-t15091.html

Though as Phenix have mentioned, it was cancelled for the mean time. Hopefully someone could organize a GB for just the PCB/controller.