Author Topic: Soarer's converter macros in Fn layer  (Read 2105 times)

Offline EDI

Soarer's converter macros in Fn layer
« on: Sat, 30 January 2016, 09:22:37 »
I've been wondering whether it's possible to have two ore more macros assigned to one key with Soarer's converter.
 Switching between macros would be done by holding a Fn key.

I tried to add one macro to base layer and another to Fn-layer, but that didn't work.

So I wanna know is this even possible with Soarer's converter. :eek:

Offline Pretendo

Re: Soarer's converter macros in Fn layer
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 27 May 2017, 10:10:24 »
Hey, so I know this is really late to reply to a DOA thread from last year, but I've been working with Soarer's converter, and couldn't find the answer to this question either.  I wanted to post my own findings in the event that somebody would find them helpful, so please don't judge me for reopening this old thread :D

1) The version of Soarer's that I have, 1.10 (the ebay dongle can't be upgraded past this) doesn't seem to have support for this directly.

2) It's well documented that you can add existing meta keys (ctrl, shift, alt, gui, etc) as conditions to execute macros, but this doesn't extend to any old key on the keyboard (ie-your function key.) You can add multiple meta key combos, and also specify that certain meta keys should not be pressed.

3) The best workaround I've found so far is to write the macro you want mapped to the Fn key on a non-existent key (ie-AUX1-5, or the "hidden" keys that exist under the stabilizers on model F boards) or something you'll never use (ie F13-24 for non-122 boards, or international keys.)  Then, you can map that key to your Fn layer and it'll execute the macro.  The obvious limitation here is that you only get so many of these keys; I haven't counted, but maybe 10 on a 122 board, and obviously more for anything else.)

4) Untested as of yet but promising: you're allowed to write macros to set meta keys as pressed or unpressed.  So theoretically, you may be able to write a macro over your Fn key that presses down a certain meta key, then have your desired Fn macros tied to that meta key combination and then your macro would fire when the Fn key is pressed.  Does that make sense?  I don't have time to test that now, but don't see why it wouldn't work, unless you can't tie a macro to a key that's already mapped as a Fn key...

Edit: I've tried solution #4, and it doesn't seem to work.  Remaps take precedence over macros, so adding the meta keys to your mapped Fn key via a macro doesn't work.  You could, however, use a macro to have a key fire some obscure set of meta keys, like perhaps LCTRL, RSHIFT, RGUI, LALT or something, and unpress those keys on keyup. Then, you could assign macros to only fire when that set of mods is pressed. That way, your key would effectively act as a Fn key, (though you could also technically fire your macros by pressing that weird meta key combination.)  It's not exactly a Fn key, but it's close.  Example:

Code: [Select]
# Set LANG_4 to fire LCTRL RALT LGUI RSHIFT
macroblock
  macro LANG_4
    MAKE LCTRL
    MAKE RALT
    MAKE LGUI
    MAKE RSHIFT
  onbreak
    BREAK LCTRL
    BREAK RALT
    BREAK LGUI
    BREAK RSHIFT
  endmacro

# Now, set macros to fire on this meta combination
  macro INSERT LCTRL RALT LGUI RSHIFT
     # YOUR MACRO CODE HERE
  endmacro
  # etc, etc, etc...
endblock

This is the best I have right now.  If macro over Fn was added in a later revision, then this should at least be useful for anyone with a dongle stuck on an earlier revision.  I'll post back here if I find a better answer, but at least there are some hacky options here.
« Last Edit: Sat, 27 May 2017, 11:36:05 by Pretendo »
IBM Model F-122 6110347 -- September 13th, 1984
IBM Model M 1391404 -- April 14th, 1988
Rosewill RK-9000