Author Topic: The Covid mask you never guessed  (Read 9299 times)

Offline typo

The Covid mask you never guessed
« on: Tue, 02 June 2020, 17:16:54 »
I only realized this because I am unfortunately dying. You need nothing special to cover your face. It is not to protect you! It is to protect others, should you sneeze or cough. So on my hospital supplies website I noticed they had old fashioned Women's "rags". I have not seen them since WWII. My Great Grand Daughter chimed in , with good reason! She said those can make a Woman very sick even dead! So I figured You could buy just one for 16 cents. Peel it in 500 pieces. Put on rubber bands for your ears on each piece. Now you have masks, cost less than 5 cents each! The thing is if you do not have access to a hospital supply I do not know where you get them. My Great Grand Daughter was in fact concerned. She checked Walgreens and CVS, They never heard of it thankfully. I guess hospital supply has it for reasons of very sick people. It was just an idea of mine. Even if not feasible we share ideas here. This was in no way meant to be gross. I did not go there in any way. I just kept this matter of fact. I figured it was interesting. Maybe others will use this thread to share home made cheap masks. It is now a reality in our society. I of course am bed ridden am therefore excused from wearing one. I am wearing an oxygen mask instead! I certainly hope no one flames me for this. Just share your masks!

Offline Findecanor

Re: The Covid mask you never guessed
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 02 June 2020, 21:07:39 »
Are you serious? I'm hoping you're just reposting something you found online. I thought you were a younger guy.
I'm stumped at words. Hope for the best and prepare for the worst ...

I appreciate the tip. Of course I'm wearing masks, even if almost nobody else around here is despite there having been a hundred cases and many dead at a retirement home just up the road from where I live.
Masks here are scarce and expensive, but I can sew.

I heard Uniqlo in Japan is starting to sell masks that would supposedly be more comfortable to wear in warm weather. (so that people don't take them off!)  I doubt they will be available at Uniqlo here in Europe, but I'll inquire in the one local store anyway.
« Last Edit: Tue, 02 June 2020, 21:26:13 by Findecanor »

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 02 June 2020, 22:00:32 »
Just use common sense. You don't need to wear a mask driving alone in your car. You don't need a mask going for a walk in the woods. I saw some idiot kayaking last week while wearing a mask alone in the middle of a river, like why? Just use common sense.

As typo said, they are mainly meant to keep others from getting sick, if you are sick you shouldn't be out and about anyway and they do far less than you think preventing you from getting ill. You are honestly better off practicing safe distancing and keeping your hands clean at all times with no mask at all than you would be thinking some piece of paper is going to make you bulletproof.

I'm sad to hear your health is bad typo, I also thought you were much younger. I wish you can be around long enough to see this planet start to heal, or before the nukes start dropping. Whatever comes first.

Offline typo

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 02 June 2020, 22:47:52 »
No, I do not want to say exactly how old I am but I am dying of natural causes. I am by no means "young". The "rags" was not a joke. It was just a stupid idea  for people complaining masks are to expensive. I would not need a mask here anyways. I live with uninfected family in literally the middle of nowhere on thousands of acres. We personally own 688 acres. There are no "improvements" here. No roads etc. We have a generator, well etc. When it is time if I do not just pass silently I will be airlifted to a major hospital. I have a nurse(also family) and hooked up to a bunch of machines. I really do not want to discuss dying though. Thank you for well wishes nonetheless.

Covid protection is in fact blown out of proportion. Just do what you should have in the first place. Wash hands etc. don't be a pig!

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 02 June 2020, 23:16:47 »
As typo said, they are mainly meant to keep others from getting sick, if you are sick you shouldn't be out and about anyway and they do far less than you think preventing you from getting ill.
For all we know, it could infect through the air even outdoors at close range, and you could be infected and infect others before you have experienced any symptoms. There are indications that it could infect others after you have recovered.
Even if the risk is low, better safe than sorry. A cloth mask is better than no mask.

I practice safe distancing: the problem is the schmucks that don't — and my city is full of them.
I wear masks only when shopping and in the subway, where the risk of having someone run into you is the highest.
« Last Edit: Tue, 02 June 2020, 23:22:20 by Findecanor »

Offline typo

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 03 June 2020, 00:15:50 »
Exactly. The risk is all the jerks that don't. Why this has gone on so long. Plus not distancing and other stupid factors. If people would just be smart this would be over.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 03 June 2020, 02:59:37 »
if you are sick you shouldn't be out and about anyway and they do far less than you think preventing you from getting ill.

That would be fine on most but not Corona.
You're infectious up to two days before you show symptoms, worse, some people are asymptomatic the entire time they have it.

This is why we're having such a hard time controlling it.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline walie

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 03 June 2020, 10:59:48 »
No, I do not want to say exactly how old I am but I am dying of natural causes. I am by no means "young". The "rags" was not a joke. It was just a stupid idea  for people complaining masks are to expensive. I would not need a mask here anyways. I live with uninfected family in literally the middle of nowhere on thousands of acres. We personally own 688 acres. There are no "improvements" here. No roads etc. We have a generator, well etc. When it is time if I do not just pass silently I will be airlifted to a major hospital. I have a nurse(also family) and hooked up to a bunch of machines. I really do not want to discuss dying though. Thank you for well wishes nonetheless.

Covid protection is in fact blown out of proportion. Just do what you should have in the first place. Wash hands etc. don't be a pig!

FYI

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=106107.msg2904253#msg2904253

Offline typo

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 03 June 2020, 15:03:47 »
Thank you for that walie. Always the gentleman.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 03 June 2020, 20:30:51 »
You can make a really cheap and easy mask from an old T-shirt.

I have seen ellipses cut with slits near the small ends to go around your ears.
"It turns out that for a decade, whenever Trump wanted to get a loan, or make a deal, he would inflate the value of his real estate. For instance, suggesting that his 11,000-square foot penthouse was a 30,000-square foot penthouse.
And the attorney general of New York knew that Trump's property values were inflated because when it came time to pay taxes, Trump undervalued the very same properties.
It was all part of a very sophisticated real estate practice known as “lying.”
- Jon Stewart 2024-03-28

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 03 June 2020, 20:33:25 »
I wore a mask today. The only time i wear masks is when i go out in public or if i go and take a photo.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 03 June 2020, 20:37:23 »
I have been using a bandana all along. Makes me feel like a bank robber - get out of the car, pull up my mask, and walk in the store.
"It turns out that for a decade, whenever Trump wanted to get a loan, or make a deal, he would inflate the value of his real estate. For instance, suggesting that his 11,000-square foot penthouse was a 30,000-square foot penthouse.
And the attorney general of New York knew that Trump's property values were inflated because when it came time to pay taxes, Trump undervalued the very same properties.
- Jon Stewart 2024-03-28

Offline typo

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 03 June 2020, 21:17:59 »
TP, you know I am a Vegan but dying anyways?

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 03 June 2020, 23:16:39 »
I have been using a bandana all along. Makes me feel like a bank robber - get out of the car, pull up my mask, and walk in the store.

The 'ol West is fashionable again. You'll need some spurs to jangle and a big brimmed hat to tip at people.

Offline typo

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 04 June 2020, 01:38:15 »
I should have known TP HAHA. You are one of the people I will miss most. I will see 'ya one day. I hope in a long time.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 04 June 2020, 16:42:41 »
I got a respirator off of Amazon that finally came in, ordered a few weeks ago. The filters that came with it are probably crap, but I think it is compatible with the 3M bayonet filters, of which I got a few of their P100 filters, which are even better than KN95 in terms of protection. I haven't worn it outside of testing airflow yet, I don't know if I even will unless I think the risk of exposure is particularly high. I end up way too close to a lot of people that don't wear a mask though almost every day now because of working on student laptops.

Offline typo

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 04 June 2020, 20:48:32 »
'mal you know that is complete overkill? all you need is cloth. to protect "others"! not even you! I to love toys though. I would love a gas mask. I pretty much have one now. I have a hole cut in my trachea for oxygen plus wear a mask. I would like to play with a WWII gas mask though. I am glad you guys did not dwell on the "period" part of this. That is not at all what I meant. It just so happened to be from that product. It was a fruitless idea anyhow. People complaining 20 cent mask too expensive? What do they eat? I mean We give some to the dogs. We are not even rich people.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 05 June 2020, 15:04:31 »
'mal you know that is complete overkill? all you need is cloth. to protect "others"! not even you! I to love toys though. I would love a gas mask. I pretty much have one now. I have a hole cut in my trachea for oxygen plus wear a mask. I would like to play with a WWII gas mask though. I am glad you guys did not dwell on the "period" part of this. That is not at all what I meant. It just so happened to be from that product. It was a fruitless idea anyhow. People complaining 20 cent mask too expensive? What do they eat? I mean We give some to the dogs. We are not even rich people.

The reason that they say that masks are more to protect other people than yourself by wearing one is because nobody can get their hands on N95 masks. They're using N95 masks and respirator rigs in hospitals to try to protect their staff from infection. The protection of the crap that's not meant specifically to stop things like viruses, much less home-made solutions like cotton scraps, is so low that the benefits are marginal for anything other than preventing COVID from your own body becoming airborne. N95 and up is another animal. They say that hepa filters are almost just as good though as well. The question is if they could be adapted into cheap filters.

If all you can get your hands on is a cotton mask, you should wear it around others, of course, because if everyone could do that, then N95 would be irrelevant. The problem is that I rarely see anybody wearing a mask. I think I saw some pole that somehow found that 80% of Americans report wearing masks. I laughed out loud when I saw that. I see maybe 10-15% outside of our school district, where it is mandated by policy for staff.

I have a Czech M10 gas mask. They say the filters for it may or may not be hazardous to your health since they're combloc designs that could have used heavy metals. Other Soviet masks used asbestos. I never did pin down filters that would specifically be effective against airborne viruses either, since they're meant mostly for chemical weapons. Be careful with anything as old as WWII.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 05 June 2020, 16:20:32 »

preventing COVID from your own body becoming airborne

Let's not trivialize this, especially since you are contagious 2 days before you experience symptoms.
- Jon Stewart 2024-03-28

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 05 June 2020, 16:41:33 »

preventing COVID from your own body becoming airborne

Let's not trivialize this, especially since you are contagious 2 days before you experience symptoms.

I would hope that nobody has. I'm of the opinion that wearing a mask in public should be mandated federally. We would have beaten COVID weeks, maybe months, ago already if we had done so.

Offline typo

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 05 June 2020, 20:26:24 »
I have a freaking tube in my neck! So I figure I don't count unfortunately. I do not mean to make light of something not funny but I literally can't breathe either. Trouble breathing is very scary. It feels like drowning. It is the fluid in my lungs. I do feel that they should have made the correct masks available and this would have not spread so widely. This is the United states. I have no clue what is wrong. they could not even get enough respirators. I am sure glad I had one before this started or I might be long gone already. What about people like me that are sick for other reasons? We just die now? This is a real shame.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 05 June 2020, 20:55:31 »
I have a freaking tube in my neck! So I figure I don't count unfortunately. I do not mean to make light of something not funny but I literally can't breathe either. Trouble breathing is very scary. It feels like drowning. It is the fluid in my lungs. I do feel that they should have made the correct masks available and this would have not spread so widely. This is the United states. I have no clue what is wrong. they could not even get enough respirators. I am sure glad I had one before this started or I might be long gone already. What about people like me that are sick for other reasons? We just die now? This is a real shame.

We no longer have a manufacturing base like we used to, unfortunately. It was more affordable to outsource to Japan, and then Taiwan, and then China. We are not the United States of 1942, which could make however much we liked, of whatever we liked, whenever we liked. Back then we were what China is today: the global hub of manufacturing and export. We could not do anything approaching what we accomplished then today. Inflation, quality of life improvements, etc, have made that impossible, unfortunately. It took time to ramp up domestic production for an industry that had to first be created to begin with. We've now been handing out surplus respirators to other countries for weeks, maybe longer. There's debate as to whether respirators even help. Some think that they can actually exacerbate the problem, and I have read that there is some evidence to suggest that survival rates actually decrease when respirators are used. I forget exactly why offhand. This could not have been known initially, of course. We're learning as we go.

Same with masks, apparently. Most N95 masks were not being produced domestically. China, and the rest of the world, have got their own problems to deal with in regard to Covid preparation, containment, and mitigation, so even if there were not a sudden sharp increase in demand in our own country, I imagine that production capacity would already have been very strained due to global demand, besides all of the delays in shipping.

Offline typo

« Reply #24 on: Sun, 07 June 2020, 14:22:13 »
I did not know this. I of course do need a respirator. In my case it is called for. The thing is a few months later I may not have gotten one. I am just one person though. Even though it is my own life I am not that selfish that I would put all of humanity at risk. I do think everyone needs N95 or better masks and they actually need to wear them. them wearing them is the big deal. A lot of people just won't. they do not understand the scope of this.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #25 on: Sun, 07 June 2020, 20:11:13 »

There's debate as to whether respirators even help. Some think that they can actually exacerbate the problem, and I have read that there is some evidence to suggest that survival rates actually decrease when respirators are used.

Respirators tend to drive the build-up deeper into the lungs, and fill them up incrementally from the bottom.

https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20200415/ventilators-helping-or-harming-covid-19-patients#1

https://www.propublica.org/article/ventilators-arent-going-to-cure-covid-19-heres-what-they-can-do

- Jon Stewart 2024-03-28

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #26 on: Sun, 07 June 2020, 21:09:24 »
I did not know this. I of course do need a respirator. In my case it is called for. The thing is a few months later I may not have gotten one. I am just one person though. Even though it is my own life I am not that selfish that I would put all of humanity at risk. I do think everyone needs N95 or better masks and they actually need to wear them. them wearing them is the big deal. A lot of people just won't. they do not understand the scope of this.

I can't imagine that they would deny a respirator to someone who needs one for grave illnesses just because of COVID. I can't say I wouldn't believe it if it occurred though either.

I think N95 would be irrelevant if everybody would just wear masks. If everybody would wear cheap cotton masks, made out of whatever you can get your hands on, then N95 would be irrelevant. The problem is that very few people bother wearing them, and it seems that a lot of people assume that if you're wearing one you're either sick with COVID (in which case you shouldn't be out to begin with), or you're concerned with getting it from them ... which they do not know would be a pointless gesture without N95. If nobody around you, who may or may not be infected and not showing symptoms, is wearing a mask, then your only defense against infection from someone who is is an N95 mask.

There's debate as to whether respirators even help. Some think that they can actually exacerbate the problem, and I have read that there is some evidence to suggest that survival rates actually decrease when respirators are used.

Respirators tend to drive the build-up deeper into the lungs, and fill them up incrementally from the bottom.

https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20200415/ventilators-helping-or-harming-covid-19-patients#1

https://www.propublica.org/article/ventilators-arent-going-to-cure-covid-19-heres-what-they-can-do

Thank you for the links, good sir.

Offline geekwhite

• moko smart bluetooth beacon
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 14 July 2020, 02:05:52 »
For yourself and for your friends, please wear a mask

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 14 July 2020, 13:54:07 »

The 'ol West is fashionable again. You'll need some spurs to jangle and a big brimmed hat to tip at people.

We're working on getting a co-worker some spurs and a large foam styled cowboy hat for here at work, lol
Masks have been mandatory where I work since April.  I always keep mine on me since I found some nice ones made by Keen.

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #29 on: Wed, 15 July 2020, 00:08:17 »
I did not need my government, and certainly NOT the late as ever the WHO, to advise me to wear mask, I'd been wearing a mask whenever I'm outside since returning home from Chiang Mai (Thailand) after spending Christmas and New Year with my brother , his daughter and his Thai wife. I was actively telling my friends to wear a mask whenever they go out against the advice given by the government of my country, that 'Healthy don't need masks' campaign and mantra they'd kept repeating.

I thought it was wrong to advise people against wearing masks, they should have instead said that wearing of masks outside was up to individual's choice, till it was made mandatory sometime in May IIRC. It simply made sense to wear a mask while outside for two reason, first as stated, to protect others from droplets should I cough or sneeze, and secondly, to prevent touching our nose and mouth with dirty hands as the mask gets in the way. The reason, I and many others had surmised, behind the dumb campaign of not wearing masks outside was due to the fact that there was a worldwide shortage of masks, the government here couldn't advocate for the wearing when it doesn't have enough masks to go around (the government here also took its cue from the compromised WHO which, in my opinion, had given terribad advice at the onset of the outbreak (not advising countries to close their borders to China being one of the many), and Tedros is in the CCP's or Xi Jinping's deep pocket (don't flame me, just a suspicion). The government in my neck of the woods has, of course, did an about face in May and has made the wearing of masks mandatory, but not before a tremendous amount of health, social and financial damage had been inflicted on us.

A couple of days back, I had viewed a YT post of this lady who's supposed to be a doctor, she had refused to wear a mask before going into a supermarket stating that masks do not protect anyone and that her rights or freedom of choice were being encroached, I don't understand this. It made sense (common sense actually) to wear masks while outside to protect others, and ourselves from infection, why this resistance? I'm from Asia, I'm sorry if it seems alien to some, or all of you guys, that something like wearing a face masks to prevent infections is being treated like that.

Edit - Oh yeah, since the mandatory mask requirement, the availability of good quality masks here in my neck of the woods has increased, to the point where such masks are quite easily available. I've gotten at least two boxes (50 each) and plan to get more as I intend to wear a mask whenever I go out till......well, end-of-the-year at the very earliest. Who knows, I may very well decide that I should wear a mask whenever I go out from now on....

« Last Edit: Wed, 15 July 2020, 00:13:59 by PadawanGeek »

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #30 on: Wed, 15 July 2020, 01:36:58 »
It really sucks that n95 respirators are in such short supply. Surgical masks and wrappings are only a fraction as effective, especially against airborne contaminants.

Much more effective and easier to breathe in too.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 15 July 2020, 11:14:56 »
It really sucks that n95 respirators are in such short supply. Surgical masks and wrappings are only a fraction as effective, especially against airborne contaminants.

Much more effective and easier to breathe in too.

N95 requires some education to use properly,  and it significantly restricts airflow.

So, the general public wouldn't really be able to use it effectively without training.  And if they use it IMPROPERLY, then it's no better than the much cheaper options.

Tp4 tried driving w/ an N95 on, it was very suffocating/hot / uncomfortable  and laborious to breath in.

If you gave that to some other peeps who are even phatter than Tp4, deff could cause peeps to pass out.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #32 on: Wed, 15 July 2020, 16:57:22 »
I found it far easier to breath in them with the added bonus of much less sweat. They allow way more air out than surgical masks, I never sweat in an n95.

Literally the opposite of your experience with them, and I am not a small man. Maybe you had a knockoff or one with no valve?

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #33 on: Wed, 15 July 2020, 20:38:54 »
I found it far easier to breath in them with the added bonus of much less sweat. They allow way more air out than surgical masks, I never sweat in an n95.

Literally the opposite of your experience with them, and I am not a small man. Maybe you had a knockoff or one with no valve?
This.
I've spent hours in swealtering heat in a military gas mask, no problems breathing.

If you want a "good" mask, you need to spend the money on an actual "good" mask, not just a rating. Most N95s are meant to be worn in a shop while a machine does the work for you (i.e. using a Dremel or chop saw).
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #34 on: Thu, 16 July 2020, 18:36:04 »

This.
I've spent hours in swealtering heat in a military gas mask, no problems breathing.

If you want a "good" mask, you need to spend the money on an actual "good" mask, not just a rating. Most N95s are meant to be worn in a shop while a machine does the work for you (i.e. using a Dremel or chop saw).

You've been wearing a gas mask around for the pandemic? lol. What model? What sort of filters? My M10 didn't seem to have any readily-available compatible filters that were actually meant for airborne pathogens instead of chemicals or particulates.

I have a half mask now as well, with both N95 and P100 filters, though I haven't used it. I figure a cloth mask gets hot enough when I'm running around.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #35 on: Fri, 17 July 2020, 00:02:48 »
You've been wearing a gas mask around for the pandemic? lol.
No, I'm a military vet.
We regularly did chem warfare training, full suit in 100+ degree heat.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More