Author Topic: [IC] F100DGATE 100% Keyboard  (Read 49003 times)

Offline blackriver

• One of the Cookie Kids
    • Desk Cookies
[IC] F100DGATE 100% Keyboard
« on: Sat, 22 February 2020, 10:41:12 »
FLOODGATE v0.2

Hello everyone,
I have taken your feedback to heart and revised my initial design quite a bit. After getting feedback I have learned a lot more about what people want and what they do not. Many people did not like some of the previous design elements and for the most part I was in agreement with them. I would really appreciate it if you gave me some more feedback via this survey (I apologize for the repetitive questions, I decided to post on reddit as well so I asked some of the same things). Keep in mind, the listed features are subject to change as I do not know for sure what manufacturing / raw material costs will be. So as a brief overview here are a few key things about this case:

Notable design changes: Deep cuts on bottom corners were exchanged for smooth chamfers which still mimic the concept of the original, but are much more elegant. The cutout for the old "Logo"  :)) was removed and so was the old design. Instead it has been replaced with a cutout for a brass weight with the new logo in its place. Also taking the place of the old logo is an F13 / Macro key which can really be for whatever the end user desires. Additionally I extended the pen / pencil channel and brought it out to the edges.

Features
-   Sandwich Mounted Design with O-Ring Spacers for mild vibration absorption
-   Two Brass / Stainless Steel weights based on buyer preference of material
-   Plate options in Stainless, Brass and Color Matched Aluminum
-   ISO and ANSI layout support
-   USB Type C
-   Full 100% Layout + F13 / Macro Key
-   PCB Mounted Stabs
-   PCB will use ATMEGA32U4 or AT90USB1286 chip
-   4 degree angle with risers to accommodate 7 degrees
-   Top slot intended for pencils or pens

Unknowns
-   Production / Retail Cost
-   Material Cost
-   Exact PCB Design
-   Skid Pads Shape / Size
-   Riser Design
-   Release Date (Totally unknown could be never depending on demand)

Dimensions (Will Release a Schematic Eventually)
-   Main Case in mm: 460 W x 140 D x 28 H (At highest point including skid pads)
-   Front of case is 24 mm high including skid pads
-   Bottom Brass Plate in mm: 150 W x 50 D x 7 H
-   Top Brass Plate in mm: 60 W x 20 D x 8 H

https://imgur.com/pYL1G3k
https://imgur.com/qGN8V1x
https://imgur.com/OMnAJnj
https://imgur.com/wjznkDG
https://imgur.com/7Rip7S3

More
FLOODGATE v0.1

Hello everyone, I would like to introduce you to a project I have been working on. Please keep in mind that this is currently in the very early stages of development as of 2/22/2020 and is by no means the perfect product I intend on delivering once I am ready to bring it to the market.

Meet F100DGATE, it is a 100% Keyboard that will consist of 3 main components + the PCB. After feeling like there is not enough love in the keyboard market for a 100%, I felt the necessity to design something. The keyboard will be an ANSI layout. As you can see the plate extends all the way to the edge providing a nice aesthetic as well as a showcase of the unique materials I plan on offering for the with this keyboard. On the top of the case, you will notice a slot above the F5-F12 keys, while this is admittedly more of an aesthetic touch to the board, this is also a tribute to many boards in the past that had a dedicated pencil holder. I have always been a fan of retro designs and I felt that bringing a modern approach to a classic concept would be an interesting touch. As I previously mentioned, this is by no means an accurate depiction of the final product, just more of a concept I would like to get feedback on. Listed below are other notable things I did not mention, as well as some things I plan to change or add in the future.

Please fill out the survey listed below whether you are interested or not in this keyboard. I will continue to update you with information regarding the process as well as with new renders as I continue to modify and enhance the design.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeL2k9q2eHGxSKIscBEg7IRnPNZNGVJTQfuxf9mjRlmM6Ggsw/viewform?usp=sf_link]https://imgur.com/pYL1G3k[url=http://
More
FLOODGATE v0.1

Hello everyone, I would like to introduce you to a project I have been working on. Please keep in mind that this is currently in the very early stages of development as of 2/22/2020 and is by no means the perfect product I intend on delivering once I am ready to bring it to the market.

Meet F100DGATE, it is a 100% Keyboard that will consist of 3 main components + the PCB. After feeling like there is not enough love in the keyboard market for a 100%, I felt the necessity to design something. The keyboard will be an ANSI layout. As you can see the plate extends all the way to the edge providing a nice aesthetic as well as a showcase of the unique materials I plan on offering for the with this keyboard. On the top of the case, you will notice a slot above the F5-F12 keys, while this is admittedly more of an aesthetic touch to the board, this is also a tribute to many boards in the past that had a dedicated pencil holder. I have always been a fan of retro designs and I felt that bringing a modern approach to a classic concept would be an interesting touch. As I previously mentioned, this is by no means an accurate depiction of the final product, just more of a concept I would like to get feedback on. Listed below are other notable things I did not mention, as well as some things I plan to change or add in the future.

Please fill out the survey listed below whether you are interested or not in this keyboard. I will continue to update you with information regarding the process as well as with new renders as I continue to modify and enhance the design.

[url=https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeL2k9q2eHGxSKIscBEg7IRnPNZNGVJTQfuxf9mjRlmM6Ggsw/viewform?usp=sf_link]https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeL2k9q2eHGxSKIscBEg7IRnPNZNGVJTQfuxf9mjRlmM6Ggsw/viewform?usp=sf_link]

More
FLOODGATE v0.1

[url=https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeL2k9q2eHGxSKIscBEg7IRnPNZNGVJTQfuxf9mjRlmM6Ggsw/viewform?usp=sf_link]https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeL2k9q2eHGxSKIscBEg7IRnPNZNGVJTQfuxf9mjRlmM6Ggsw/viewform?usp=sf_link[/url]

Other Features
-   PCB geared towards use with the ATMEGA software
-   PCB Mounted Stablizers
-   USB Type C located on the back left side just below the space between the esc and F1 keys
-   Powdercoated Top and Bottom case
-   Polished Steel Plate, Copper Plate, Powdercoated Plate options
-   Plate matched insignia on the bottom of the board
-   4 degree case slant

Possible Improvements
-   Hot Swap
-   Alternative plates for ISO etc.
-   More rounded edges (Uncertain on this, but looking for your feedback)
-   Slightly thinner bottom case (Currently the keyboard sits just around 1” high in the front)
-   Other materials
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 March 2020, 20:28:57 by blackriver »
9x HHKB's, Astro Norbaforce, Coffee Heavy Grail, Silver Digilog, FMJ 60, 2x HB60's

Offline Zeelobby

Re: [IC] F100DGATE 100% Keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 22 February 2020, 10:43:44 »
Can't see pics

Offline blackriver

• One of the Cookie Kids
    • Desk Cookies
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 22 February 2020, 10:45:09 »
Can't see pics

Too fast for me, updated!
9x HHKB's, Astro Norbaforce, Coffee Heavy Grail, Silver Digilog, FMJ 60, 2x HB60's

Offline senryo

• Problems are challenges.
    • Thic Thock
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 22 February 2020, 10:47:24 »
Can't see pics

I suggest you to use imgur +
Code: [Select]
[img][/img] instead of GH attachment; easier to handle the format and better articulating your point with bigger pictures.

Offline Rejeckted

• Fe, Fi, Fo, Fum... I smell Kraft dinnah
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 22 February 2020, 10:48:04 »
I still don't have a full sized custom board. Would love a hotswap pcb option. got my eye on this!

Offline vosechu

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 22 February 2020, 10:48:07 »
Can’t be atmega run a 100%? I thought it didn’t have enough pins? Or were you going to do an io expander chip? Thanks!

Offline blackriver

• One of the Cookie Kids
    • Desk Cookies
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 22 February 2020, 10:48:30 »
Can't see pics

I suggest you to use imgur +
Code: [Select]
[img][/img] instead of GH attachment; easier to handle the format and better articulating your point with bigger pictures.

I attempted that first and they did not post, I will try again with the preview function.

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 22 February 2020, 10:49:21 »
Just a couple things. Mount type? QMK/VIA compatibility? Weight/dimensions?

While things like "around an inch" are probably ok, someone's gonna ask. Haha.

Offline Jaltr

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 22 February 2020, 10:50:59 »
I'm interested! Rounded edges would be nice to the touch imo.

Sent from my SM-J415G using Tapatalk

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 22 February 2020, 10:52:41 »

Yeah. Edges def need a chamfer/fillet. Sharp edges on metal boards are no fun.

Offline orim23

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 22 February 2020, 10:54:18 »
I like the design. but dislike the heavy branding. would be a great place for a small oled screen, a slider, or something else.

and i need that blue!

Offline blackriver

• One of the Cookie Kids
    • Desk Cookies
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 22 February 2020, 10:55:31 »

All of these are great questions, and I totally hear you. Stab mount type will be PCB. Weight is unknown at this stage. Like I said this is super early development and before I go crazy I really want to know if there is a market for custom 100%'s or if people just don't want them. I have no problem posting exact dimensions, however that is subject to change and before I say hey this is what you can expect to see, I want to get a bit of feedback. I appreciate the questions!

Offline Jaltr

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 22 February 2020, 10:56:32 »

Yeah. Edges def need a chamfer/fillet. Sharp edges on metal boards are no fun.
Yeah, i ain't here to cut myself every time I swap boards lul

Offline blackriver

• One of the Cookie Kids
    • Desk Cookies
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 22 February 2020, 10:56:54 »
I like the design. but dislike the heavy branding. would be a great place for a small oled screen, a slider, or something else.

and i need that blue!

I appreciate the feedback, and honestly I agree, it did not turn out the way I envisioned it in my head at all.

Offline blackriver

• One of the Cookie Kids
    • Desk Cookies
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 22 February 2020, 10:57:55 »

and i need that blue!

I appreciate the feedback, and honestly I agree, it did not turn out the way I envisioned it in my head at all.

Haha for sure, there is a very mild fillet of about 2mm. But I think something around 5mm would be much nicer.

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 22 February 2020, 11:00:07 »

All of these are great questions, and I totally hear you. Stab mount type will be PCB. Weight is unknown at this stage. Like I said this is super early development and before I go crazy I really want to know if there is a market for custom 100%'s or if people just don't want them. I have no problem posting exact dimensions, however that is subject to change and before I say hey this is what you can expect to see, I want to get a bit of feedback. I appreciate the questions!

No problem. And thanks for feedback. I was actually asking about plate mount type. I'm assuming sandwhich (as opposed to top, tray, gasket, etc.).

And I definitely think theres room for a custom 100%. They're rarer usually because people prefer smaller these days. They're more expensive to produce and cost more as well. But I'm all for it.

Offline blackriver

• One of the Cookie Kids
    • Desk Cookies
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 22 February 2020, 11:01:39 »
Can’t be atmega run a 100%? I thought it didn’t have enough pins? Or were you going to do an io expander chip? Thanks!

Good question, so my intial thoughts were around an expander chip, but my the PCB is the next step, so I will be exploring multiple options. Whether an expander seems to be the right choice will come with time.

Offline Jaltr

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 22 February 2020, 11:02:12 »
If this goes to GB, I'll force my brother into the custom mk scene. He really insists that 100% or nothing.

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 22 February 2020, 11:03:00 »
If this goes to GB, I'll force my brother into the custom mk scene. He really insists that 100% or nothing.

I mean I know people swear by their 60s, but there's something to be said about having all the options. Especially on a board you never plan to move.

Offline blackriver

• One of the Cookie Kids
    • Desk Cookies
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 22 February 2020, 11:04:47 »

No problem. And thanks for feedback. I was actually asking about plate mount type. I'm assuming sandwhich (as opposed to top, tray, gasket, etc.).

And I definitely think theres room for a custom 100%. They're rarer usually because people prefer smaller these days. They're more expensive to produce and cost more as well. But I'm all for it.

So it will be sandwich, but I plan on integrating an o-ring's that will sit near flush with the top and bottom case at each of the screw hole locations. In theory I believe it will reduce a bit of vibration and give some pcb isolation as well. I will have to do a bit of testing with this idea though.

Offline Jaltr

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 22 February 2020, 11:05:33 »

I mean I know people swear by their 60s, but there's something to be said about having all the options. Especially on a board you never plan to move.
Exactly! He swears by the numpad to sign in to this pc and expects nothing smaller than a 100%; weird, but understandable.

Offline sonicdoooom

« Reply #21 on: Sat, 22 February 2020, 11:47:23 »
Good luck with the IC but this one needs some serious redesign IMO. Lose the notches at the bottom, go more symmetrical.

Offline ehagerty

« Reply #22 on: Sat, 22 February 2020, 11:55:09 »
I am 100% in favour of a full size. I live at my keyboard so don’t want a mini-me 😊. Believe in yourself and your designs and don’t let criticism stand in the way of running with this. You can count on at least this one sale 🥳

Offline equalunique

« Reply #23 on: Sat, 22 February 2020, 12:06:59 »
Is it just me, or is that Google Form not letting us get past the ranking part, even when it's all filled out? Anyway...

Been waiting for an aluminium 100% keeb like this. Hoping plain silver finish is available. Would work real nicely with my DSA Galaxy Class set.

For me, price has got to stay under $400, ideally closer to $300.
« Last Edit: Sat, 22 February 2020, 12:12:09 by equalunique »

Offline blackriver

• One of the Cookie Kids
    • Desk Cookies
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 22 February 2020, 12:15:19 »
I am 100% in favour of a full size. I live at my keyboard so don’t want a mini-me 😊. Believe in yourself and your designs and don’t let criticism stand in the way of running with this. You can count on at least this one sale 🥳

Trust me, the criticism is never what will get the best of me. If people don't like it they can move on. My biggest concern is quite possibly the PCB as I have NO experience designing one. But I plan on working through it. However, if no one likes it, keyboard design just isn't for me. I can't feasibly make this if only 10 people would buy it so feedback is critical.
« Last Edit: Sat, 22 February 2020, 12:25:40 by blackriver »

Offline blackriver

• One of the Cookie Kids
    • Desk Cookies
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 22 February 2020, 12:19:29 »
Good luck with the IC but this one needs some serious redesign IMO. Lose the notches at the bottom, go more symmetrical.

I appreciate the feedback, but telling someone to ditch a key design feature on their board is like telling an artist they should be more like Picasso. If people don't like my design, I won't redesign it, I just won't make a keyboard.

Offline gipetto

« Reply #26 on: Sat, 22 February 2020, 14:10:23 »
It's quite possible to do a full size layout + 3 indicator leds with an atmega32u4 by following ai03's duplex matrix tutorial, or my own which i call crushed paper routing, being similar but slightly different in method. but you don't have to design a pcb if you don't want to, there are a few open source designs knocking around already. if you want to take the easy way out, then just pick the at90usb1286, used in the teensy2.0++. If you wanted to do something nobody has done before you could adapt coseyfannitutti's open source discipline pcb to fit your case. there's enough spare pins for a full size, it already has usb c, and there's enough room in your case to fit it inside.

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #27 on: Sat, 22 February 2020, 14:39:43 »
Is it just me, or is that Google Form not letting us get past the ranking part, even when it's all filled out? Anyway...

Been waiting for an aluminium 100% keeb like this. Hoping plain silver finish is available. Would work real nicely with my DSA Galaxy Class set.

For me, price has got to stay under $400, ideally closer to $300.
That'll probably be a pipe dream. This much aluminum is expect $400 at least.

Offline getmekd

« Reply #28 on: Sat, 22 February 2020, 15:25:59 »
I would buy this 100% if you could incorporate a screen in top right corner  :-*

Offline thornkin

« Reply #29 on: Sat, 22 February 2020, 23:35:25 »
There are people who will help with pcb design.  Look for Gondolindrim's post.

Have you considered an f13 key?  There aren't any 100% I can think of with one. Certainly not many.

I like the pencil holder. Not a huge fan of the deep cut for the branding.
« Last Edit: Sat, 22 February 2020, 23:36:58 by thornkin »

Offline niakulah

« Reply #30 on: Sun, 23 February 2020, 05:13:03 »
Would love a 100% custom alu board.

Not a fan of that 'thing' above the numpad. Front looks a bit high.

Offline hottrout

• I'd Hit Dat Key
« Reply #31 on: Sun, 23 February 2020, 05:30:55 »
At last a 100% board.  I like your design in general but although the bottom side cutouts look cool I imagine they would be annoying when using.  That said they might end up being a locator for your pinky finger which could be cool.  Please don't leave out the ability to have ISO in your design.

Love that you are going after a 100% and I will follow with interest.
Current Daily Driver : Virgo - Ultramarine - Standard Lube  |  WTB : Topre Realforce Hi-Pro, please PM me if you have one for sale.

Systems -
More
Work |i9-7940x@4.8ghz|32GB(3600)|STRIX-RTX3090Ti|Bespoke Water, 360m Rad|X299 Prime Deluxe|EK x299 Monoblock|Optane 900p|2x1TB 960 Pro|2x10TB Helium|Dell U3415W + Dell UP2116Q
Home |i9-13900ks|32GB(7300)|Rog RTX 4090|Asus Z790 Rog Maximus Hero|Torrent Air|2TB 990 Pro|2TB 990 Pro|Dell AW3423DW QOLED|NEC MultiSync|Drobo16TB
Mining |i5-7500|16GB(2400)|H110 Pro BTC+|8x1080Ti|2x1650Watt PSU

Plus 40 years of collecting retro computers, consoles, games, peripherals, mainframes and mini's as well as their software, keyboards, games and manuals. 100's of systems including every Amiga model made
  Keyboards -
More
IBM 3101 | IBM 3276 | IBM 5150 | IBM ModelM | Dictaphone Dual Display | Vintage Cherrys (1982 onwards, just about all of them) | Commodore (all of them) | Nixdorf | Siemens | ICL | Apple (all of them) | Filco Majistouch | KBDFans 5degree - Chocolate | Rama M6-B - Moon | CA66 Silver | ClueBoard Graphite/PC | Varmilo VA69M Silver | E7-V1 SE Yellow | Rama U-80 Space Grey | VN66 Navy | BOCC Frosted Polycarbonate | Rama M10-C Midnight | FLX Virgo Teal & Black | Rama M60-A LYN Kuro | Space65 CyberVoyager WhiteGold | Space65 CyberVoyager Terminal | Hyper 7 | Clarabelle Sandblasted Polycarbonate | Elongate Mini 1800 Blue | Petrichor 1800 Red | Vulcan Maja Ergo Green | Think6.5v2 RoboCop | Jacky Bear 65% E-White | Sakabato CB87 TKL Champagne | KCK KY-01 Aquamarine | Jae J-01 F&F E-White & Copper | S7.7 E-White | The Adélie Blue | NIX OxalyS80 LE Dark Polycarbonate | Mesa TKL E-White | Smith & Rune IRON180 Graen/Brass | Skog Reboot Desert | CU7 Black | ROTR Silver & Copper | RAMA Kara Soya | Grid 650 E-White | SIX5 LE Aluminium & Gold | OwLab Voice65 Grey | BOX 75 Black Stainless Steel | Onyx E-White | Ikki68 BT Charcoal | Smith & Rune Iron 165 Graphite & Stainless Steel | Epoch 80% Black | RAMA Thermal SEQ2 Kuro | Paper Crane Gerald65 SE PC & CF | CB1800 ZANBATO | GLiTCH | Eclipse Grey & SS | TGR Tomo Silver | Mountain Ergo Black | Keebwerk NASU Black/Red | Phase One 65 Grey | Command TKL Fire | Chalice Frosted | VIENDI 8L Shadow | | Vulcan Maja PC | Glove 80 | Matrix 8XV 3.0 Starry Night | Sagittarius Grey Lilac | AKB OGR & Numpad Dolch | Type K Black

Offline thecyangiant

« Reply #32 on: Sun, 23 February 2020, 07:34:54 »

and i need that blue!

While I agree the branding is a bit much, I'm not sure an oled works with the vintage feel, unless you really nail the display. A slider definitely works with there vintage/analogue theme, I also think the logo can be re-worked to be less intense.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Offline NeroGrave

« Reply #33 on: Sun, 23 February 2020, 13:24:42 »
Interested! Would also prefer more rounded edges as well. And I'm not a fan of those 2 cutout edges at the bottom of the board, otherwise, it looks good so far.

Offline orim23

« Reply #34 on: Sun, 23 February 2020, 13:36:55 »

and i need that blue!

While I agree the branding is a bit much, I'm not sure an oled works with the vintage feel, unless you really nail the display. A slider definitely works with there vintage/analogue theme, I also think the logo can be re-worked to be less intense.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
yeah. i was just throwing ideas around.
I prefer a slider too!

Offline blackriver

• One of the Cookie Kids
    • Desk Cookies
« Reply #35 on: Sun, 23 February 2020, 14:19:07 »
I'm doing some reworking, rounded edges are definitely a must and as I mentioned, I do not like the way the nameplate turned out. I will work on a new design and once I am content I will have another render done. In the mean time I will also look into some PCB options to explore whats possible and what is not. I will keep you all posted and I am very thankful for the feedback thus far.

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #36 on: Sun, 23 February 2020, 18:13:39 »
I'm doing some reworking, rounded edges are definitely a must and as I mentioned, I do not like the way the nameplate turned out. I will work on a new design and once I am content I will have another render done. In the mean time I will also look into some PCB options to explore whats possible and what is not. I will keep you all posted and I am very thankful for the feedback thus far.
I think a multi layer front plate works when the cutout is in the back corner (kind of like the canoe). It's kind of odd when it forms a trough. Feel like it's gonna fill with dust and debris, and the sharp joins are gonna be a pain to clean. (Talking name plate and front cutouts)
« Last Edit: Sun, 23 February 2020, 18:16:44 by Zeelobby »

Offline LNSP_DZ

« Reply #37 on: Sun, 23 February 2020, 22:35:56 »
super interested in this. I've only seen a handful of boards i like this year.

Offline FRANCO

« Reply #38 on: Sun, 23 February 2020, 23:14:43 »
I want

Offline uhohitsdanny

« Reply #39 on: Wed, 26 February 2020, 17:23:08 »
Interested w more color options!
« Last Edit: Wed, 26 February 2020, 17:28:34 by uhohitsdanny »

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #40 on: Wed, 26 February 2020, 22:29:58 »
I'm not huge on this design (just personal taste) but it's nice to see a 100% option appear.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline despairsray

« Reply #41 on: Thu, 27 February 2020, 20:32:53 »
Def been out on a look out for a custom 100%, I never see any cool ones. This one definitely got my interest but as Orim also stated, I do not like the branding. I would purchase it if that wasn't there.

Offline mta

« Reply #42 on: Thu, 27 February 2020, 22:12:20 »
IMO there's too much going on.

The huge cut for the branding is taking up a lot of space that's usually dedicated to something more utilitarian like an OLED screen.

The overall look seems disjointed. It has rounded back corners, but then a mix of these hard angles + rounded inner corners at the front, then the hard branding cut in the upper right, then a rounded indentation at the top of the board. It just looks sharp and difficult to move around.

Offline Nostril

• Synth Labs
« Reply #43 on: Fri, 28 February 2020, 00:24:36 »
Nice to see a 100% keyboard, and one with some interesting and unique design elements as well.

I think the design elements are interesting, but I think their proportions have some ratios at play that look a bit weird to me with how they frame the blocked sections. It feels a bit cut off at the bottom.

Here's what I mean. I definitely understand what you're going for and what the intended framing is when I think about it, but this is how the framing looks to me at a gut level before giving it much thought:

As such, the red and green frames don't feel centered vertically to me.

Not saying this is what you should necessarily do, but I think a framing more like this is what I would expect.

Of course there's a lot of ways you can go about this. Please take my opinion with a grain of salt.

EDIT: Actually, looking at it a bit more I think it might not be that the frames aren't centered vertically, but more that the green frame has no padding at the bottom corners? Not too sure, just feels a bit weird.
« Last Edit: Fri, 28 February 2020, 00:41:43 by Nostril »

Offline utdconsq

« Reply #44 on: Fri, 28 February 2020, 01:59:30 »
Love your thinking, and colour me as another person interested since I like a larger board also.

I'm inclined to agree with others here regarding logo placement, but I was a little concerned for a different reason: deep indents like that would probably act as a dust reservoir. I could be wrong, of course. Maybe you could lift the logo out, rescale it a little, and have a slider (which would legit be cool), or a rotary dial like on Satisfaction and others. If you're harking back to analogue dreams, some analogue type controls would be delightful.

Offline hottrout

• I'd Hit Dat Key
« Reply #45 on: Fri, 28 February 2020, 03:12:50 »
Nice to see a 100% keyboard, and one with some interesting and unique design elements as well.

I think the design elements are interesting, but I think their proportions have some ratios at play that look a bit weird to me with how they frame the blocked sections. It feels a bit cut off at the bottom.

Here's what I mean. I definitely understand what you're going for and what the intended framing is when I think about it, but this is how the framing looks to me at a gut level before giving it much thought:
Show Image

As such, the red and green frames don't feel centered vertically to me.

Not saying this is what you should necessarily do, but I think a framing more like this is what I would expect.
Show Image

Of course there's a lot of ways you can go about this. Please take my opinion with a grain of salt.

EDIT: Actually, looking at it a bit more I think it might not be that the frames aren't centered vertically, but more that the green frame has no padding at the bottom corners? Not too sure, just feels a bit weird.

Your thinking is on the right path.  With these proportions the cut outs at the bottom corner could work ok ans they also look better.  I also think that the pen tray should run the full length of at least the main keyboard from ESC to F12.  At the minute your eye will think it is off centre.  I do really like the overall way this is going and as a user of 100% I am glad to see someone making this.  Please make sure it supports both ANSI and ISO.
Current Daily Driver : Virgo - Ultramarine - Standard Lube  |  WTB : Topre Realforce Hi-Pro, please PM me if you have one for sale.

Systems -
More
Work |i9-7940x@4.8ghz|32GB(3600)|STRIX-RTX3090Ti|Bespoke Water, 360m Rad|X299 Prime Deluxe|EK x299 Monoblock|Optane 900p|2x1TB 960 Pro|2x10TB Helium|Dell U3415W + Dell UP2116Q
Home |i9-13900ks|32GB(7300)|Rog RTX 4090|Asus Z790 Rog Maximus Hero|Torrent Air|2TB 990 Pro|2TB 990 Pro|Dell AW3423DW QOLED|NEC MultiSync|Drobo16TB
Mining |i5-7500|16GB(2400)|H110 Pro BTC+|8x1080Ti|2x1650Watt PSU

Plus 40 years of collecting retro computers, consoles, games, peripherals, mainframes and mini's as well as their software, keyboards, games and manuals. 100's of systems including every Amiga model made
  Keyboards -
More
IBM 3101 | IBM 3276 | IBM 5150 | IBM ModelM | Dictaphone Dual Display | Vintage Cherrys (1982 onwards, just about all of them) | Commodore (all of them) | Nixdorf | Siemens | ICL | Apple (all of them) | Filco Majistouch | KBDFans 5degree - Chocolate | Rama M6-B - Moon | CA66 Silver | ClueBoard Graphite/PC | Varmilo VA69M Silver | E7-V1 SE Yellow | Rama U-80 Space Grey | VN66 Navy | BOCC Frosted Polycarbonate | Rama M10-C Midnight | FLX Virgo Teal & Black | Rama M60-A LYN Kuro | Space65 CyberVoyager WhiteGold | Space65 CyberVoyager Terminal | Hyper 7 | Clarabelle Sandblasted Polycarbonate | Elongate Mini 1800 Blue | Petrichor 1800 Red | Vulcan Maja Ergo Green | Think6.5v2 RoboCop | Jacky Bear 65% E-White | Sakabato CB87 TKL Champagne | KCK KY-01 Aquamarine | Jae J-01 F&F E-White & Copper | S7.7 E-White | The Adélie Blue | NIX OxalyS80 LE Dark Polycarbonate | Mesa TKL E-White | Smith & Rune IRON180 Graen/Brass | Skog Reboot Desert | CU7 Black | ROTR Silver & Copper | RAMA Kara Soya | Grid 650 E-White | SIX5 LE Aluminium & Gold | OwLab Voice65 Grey | BOX 75 Black Stainless Steel | Onyx E-White | Ikki68 BT Charcoal | Smith & Rune Iron 165 Graphite & Stainless Steel | Epoch 80% Black | RAMA Thermal SEQ2 Kuro | Paper Crane Gerald65 SE PC & CF | CB1800 ZANBATO | GLiTCH | Eclipse Grey & SS | TGR Tomo Silver | Mountain Ergo Black | Keebwerk NASU Black/Red | Phase One 65 Grey | Command TKL Fire | Chalice Frosted | VIENDI 8L Shadow | | Vulcan Maja PC | Glove 80 | Matrix 8XV 3.0 Starry Night | Sagittarius Grey Lilac | AKB OGR & Numpad Dolch | Type K Black

Offline blackriver

• One of the Cookie Kids
    • Desk Cookies
« Reply #46 on: Fri, 28 February 2020, 19:08:38 »
Thanks for the comments everyone, after hearing a lot of feedback regarding the cutout and proportions I have to say I do feel like my vision has not been satisfied. So I think I will be going with a slightly different approach that I know I will like more, and I hope you all share a similar opinion. Additionally, a few things seem to be reoccuring and i would like to address them now just to clear the air.

1. OLED / LED Screen in top right - This will not be happening, simply put I hate screens on keyboards and while I do want you all to like the board as much as I do, I will not do something I dislike.
2. A slider / knob in top right - Similar to the screen, I really hate these, I personally think it takes away from the look and while functional, it is just not for me. Additionally, this is my first design and I would like to simplify things to ensure a higher chance of success (Also goes for the screen).
3. F13 Key - I have debated whether to put a couple extra macro keys to fill part of the gap which will no longer have a cutout. This will reduce the branding size and will make for a nice bonus that I feel more comfortable with as opposed to the other options.
4. ISO layout - Yes hottrout this is for you, I agree that this will need an iso layout option, so I will need to work on a plate for that. It might not be in the next render, but it will be part of the final decision.

Again thank you for the feedback. I plan on spending most of my free time this weekend working on several things for this board. Stay tuned as I hope to release lots more info this week.

Offline equalunique

« Reply #47 on: Sat, 29 February 2020, 11:31:28 »
Instead of powdercoated case and steel/copper plate, is it possible to have silver aluminium case & brass plate? That combo is impossible to find for fullsize boards.

Offline lush_bunny

• TBR Prime | 7V | Pandora | Kaze
« Reply #48 on: Sat, 29 February 2020, 11:47:16 »
Since 100% are favored by those who want access to ALL THE KEYS, why not populate the right area with a bunch of macro/media keys?

Offline blackriver

• One of the Cookie Kids
    • Desk Cookies
« Reply #49 on: Sat, 29 February 2020, 15:21:24 »
Instead of powdercoated case and steel/copper plate, is it possible to have silver aluminium case & brass plate? That combo is impossible to find for fullsize boards.

Do you mean like raw aluminum? Or just anodized silver? I have thought about a raw option as a "color". Brass Plate, Polished Steel and Aluminum will be the three plate options most likely. It depends on manuf. costs. This week I plan on reaching out to manufacturers just to get a general idea of what this will cost. I have moderate concern that the materials will be very costly.