Author Topic: [IC] Moment - 60% | GB Open Oct 1 - Oct 16  (Read 141780 times)

Offline Soche

Re: [IC] Phase (60% Keyboard) | Prototype #1 Order Placed!
« Reply #50 on: Tue, 22 September 2020, 13:39:12 »
been a lurker on GH since I joined but just had to say something for this. I always thought that I'd want a full polished SS weight, but after seeing the satin/matte finish that might be the final product then it think that this is a SUPER nice change. If interest is high enough, why not raffle off some fully polished ss versions though, like how the plume65 did?

Also, this mounting style is soooooo nice. Love that you wanted to try something different and the gasket placement here just sounds like it'll make sense. Excited to have some sound tests for differences in plate with and without flex cuts!

Offline Ustinj

« Reply #51 on: Tue, 22 September 2020, 15:03:31 »
Thank you for the support everyone -

Also, this mounting style is soooooo nice. Love that you wanted to try something different and the gasket placement here just sounds like it'll make sense. Excited to have some sound tests for differences in plate with and without flex cuts!

I appreciate it - though it is going to be super experimental, so I wouldn't call it nice yet :P

And yeah, the weight finish is super TBD - I plan to entertain several prototypes with some noteworthy changes, so this prototype I ordered will not be the last one. Doing that, I can also play with different weight finishes and choose the one I like best.

Here are some updated renders with my planned cap set for my own personal board -

Front face

Side profile w/ caps, lowered height by 1mm

butt

Side & back

Thanks all

Will update when prototype comes with news

Offline Soche

« Reply #52 on: Tue, 22 September 2020, 15:12:17 »
I appreciate it - though it is going to be super experimental, so I wouldn't call it nice yet :P

that's half the fun of it - a lot of what drives me personally in this hobby (and i'm sure others feel the same way) are the new and innovating things, especially with how typing feel is experienced in the end. I don't want another standard 6 poron gasket strips or top mount (even those these boards stand to be amazing), at least right now. With such a large influx of people, this creativity is gonna be fun no matter what.

Experiment away!

Offline L8T

« Reply #53 on: Tue, 22 September 2020, 17:12:04 »
Love it!

Offline CustomerSupport

• 🕸 developer
    • Discord
« Reply #54 on: Tue, 22 September 2020, 17:31:11 »

that's half the fun of it - a lot of what drives me personally in this hobby (and i'm sure others feel the same way) are the new and innovating things, especially with how typing feel is experienced in the end. I don't want another standard 6 poron gasket strips or top mount (even those these boards stand to be amazing), at least right now. With such a large influx of people, this creativity is gonna be fun no matter what.

Experiment away!

Exactly. Case-in-point there are 2 other 60% keyboards currently in IC (Nue, Sofia) that have top normal gasket and top mounts, with HHKB layouts.

Phase provides a unique mounting experience along with a beautiful form factor to boot.

Offline Voidec

• Tip of the Spear
« Reply #55 on: Tue, 22 September 2020, 18:27:55 »
I submitted the interest form. I like this board alot. Can't wait for the GB :thumb:

Offline dibstern

« Reply #56 on: Wed, 23 September 2020, 08:38:31 »
If the back is mirror polished, I’m in! I’m so sad with all of these beautiful keyboards abandoning their beautiful mirror polished aesthetic and settling for what I find to be a cheaper, less inspired or exciting look.
« Last Edit: Thu, 24 September 2020, 09:32:27 by dibstern »

Offline dandruff

« Reply #57 on: Sun, 27 September 2020, 02:49:49 »
Looking good :wink: you're going to make me own a 60

Offline EdgeOfInfinity

« Reply #58 on: Tue, 06 October 2020, 00:27:09 »
will def keep my eye on this project. the angle of the chamfers on top are very elegant paired w/ HHKB!   :thumb:

Offline zoo

• zoo
« Reply #59 on: Tue, 06 October 2020, 02:08:27 »
Thoughtful design, looking forward to it becoming a reality!!

Offline gilbert

« Reply #60 on: Tue, 06 October 2020, 08:26:31 »
I hope the proto turns out nice! I love that side edge
Collection: F1.69, G80-5K, Bliss TKL, Ecliptica, Cypher, Safa S588, Southpaw Fullsize, HHKB Pro2, Zenith G80-1192HAD

Offline Ustinj

« Reply #61 on: Tue, 06 October 2020, 10:24:36 »
Prototype 1 has arrived and I'll be doing some testing before drawing a strong conclusion.

I have several changes lined up for Prototype 2 that I am super excited to see put into production.

Conclusion on prototype soon
« Last Edit: Tue, 06 October 2020, 10:30:35 by Ustinj »

Offline Rynxe

• Braccas Meas Vescimini
Re: [IC] Phase (60% Keyboard) | PROTOTYPE #1 RECEIVED
« Reply #62 on: Wed, 07 October 2020, 02:14:45 »
 :thumb:

Nice! mind sharing what changes will you be doing for Prototype 2?

Do you have a discord channel we could join for updates?

Offline Ustinj

« Reply #63 on: Wed, 07 October 2020, 17:14:47 »

Currently waiting for a PCB to come in before 100% confirming changes for Proto 2!

I'll make a Discord for updates and fast contact: https://discord.gg/CdM2SV

Offline gbgwang

Re: [IC] Phase (60% Keyboard) | Discord open, Prototype #1
« Reply #64 on: Thu, 08 October 2020, 02:52:38 »
So good.

You are very careful about this keyboard.

If possible, I want to participate in joint purchase.

Can you show me more pictures of prototype #1?

I think it would be nice if there were other video clips.

Offline FNM

« Reply #65 on: Thu, 08 October 2020, 20:31:25 »
I was waiting for something like this to show up! Hope this can move forward quickly

Offline Visionaire

« Reply #66 on: Thu, 08 October 2020, 21:13:38 »

Currently waiting for a PCB to come in before 100% confirming changes for Proto 2!

Discord link doesn't appear to be working. =(

Offline Ustinj

« Reply #67 on: Thu, 08 October 2020, 21:28:08 »

Discord link doesn't appear to be working. =(

Oops, sorry - did not realize Discord's default invitation link is set to expire. I made this one permanent: https://discord.gg/XPEFcn8

On that note, a user mentioned that I should include WKL renders on the main post ... done!

Offline Replay

« Reply #68 on: Thu, 08 October 2020, 22:08:53 »
If I fill out the Ic form, do I order it?
This is my first GB, so please understand.

Offline cannon-cat

« Reply #69 on: Fri, 09 October 2020, 00:19:17 »
No, usually, it does NOT mean you buy the item. "IC" stands for "Interest Check". IC's are for gauging interest on ideas, before selling them. ICs are also for potential customers (you), to give the designer ideas, ways to "fix" or make the board "better." For example, if you really wanted to see a stainless steel weight on a certain board, for whatever reason, you might state this on the form, or on the thread of the item of subject. So when you fill that form out, you 1: give the designers more ideas, what you'd like to see that is "missing," and 2: tell the designer how excited, or interested, you are in the potential product.

Offline Ustinj

« Reply #70 on: Sat, 10 October 2020, 15:28:01 »
UPDATE: October 10th, 2020

I had a few changes already lined up, but Prototype 1 has given me the opportunity to make a few more tweaks that I think will improve the board. Prototype 1 was mostly a success. I very much enjoy the shape and feel of the board's edges on my desk, but was not satisfied with the quality of finish from factory 1. Assembly was a smooth process, and typing feels good for aluminum. I don't have the opportunity to use the PC plate as I intended because the factory messed it up so badly it won't fit.

Changes:

- Lowered overall board height by 1mm
- Increased the thickness of the bottom interior of the case by 2.4mm, the interior surface is now almost completely aluminum (versus the previous 50% alu 50% steel). I suspect this will bring changes to sound..
- Upgraded screws from M2 x 0.4mm to M2.5 x 0.45mm for peace of mind - I don't want to push into M3 territory as that will make the bezels wider than I envisioned.
- Increased the mass of the board from ~1198g to ~1400g (2.6lbs to 3.2lbs)
- Sandblasted steel weight instead of polished. The polished weight was nice, for the first 15 minutes..
- Flex / auditory cuts for spacebar uniformity
- Will be giving the following plates a shot - POLYCARBONATE, POLYPROPYLENE, ALUMINUM
- Increased seam chamfer size. I want the emphasized seam to pop even more.
- Cuts made on interior to accommodate for JST connector position of both H60 and WT-60

Typing tests will come from Prototype 2, I'd like for it to more represent the production run product (in case things sound different).

thank

Offline bunanapeel

Re: [IC] Phase (60% Keyboard) | Discord, Prototyping
« Reply #71 on: Tue, 13 October 2020, 00:43:59 »
First 60% to catch my eye in a long time.  Definitely gonna be keeping my eye on this one, really love the clean and professional look.

Offline dibstern

« Reply #72 on: Tue, 13 October 2020, 07:13:49 »
Wow, so damn pretty!

Maybe I missed this, there was a lot of text, but will there be a brass plate option?

Offline Ustinj

« Reply #73 on: Sun, 18 October 2020, 00:33:01 »
I have not planned to include brass plates by default due to their stiffness, but may consider adding it as an add-on. I will do some testing with a brass plate first and determine whether or not it's worth submitting a bulk order for.  :thumb:

if not, plate file would be dropped after so you can go have a plate made out of brass, pom, concrete, w/e
« Last Edit: Sun, 18 October 2020, 00:51:52 by Ustinj »

Offline $W4GK!NG

• Keyboard/Car/Audio Enthusiast
    • Linktree
« Reply #74 on: Sun, 18 October 2020, 06:56:05 »
I have not planned to include brass plates by default due to their stiffness, but may consider adding it as an add-on. I will do some testing with a brass plate first and determine whether or not it's worth submitting a bulk order for.  :thumb:

if not, plate file would be dropped after so you can go have a plate made out of brass, pom, concrete, w/e
Concrete plate PagChomp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline jubei

« Reply #75 on: Mon, 19 October 2020, 08:08:31 »
👀👀👀

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #76 on: Mon, 19 October 2020, 13:02:13 »
Tree leaf likes it
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline LubedHealios

• swede living in The Netherlands
« Reply #77 on: Tue, 17 November 2020, 16:50:19 »
This boards looks amazing and the TKL design you did also looks amazing i want both now  :thumb:

Offline Chippy

• sus chef
« Reply #78 on: Sat, 21 November 2020, 14:28:37 »
excited to see where this goes, can't wait for proto 2 pics
1.2og | Buddy 6xx | Le Fishe V1 Proto | xyz60 Rev2 | Quartermaster | Chimera65 | Satisfaction75 | Realforce 84u | Zenith Z-150 | Realforce 86u | 378
More
This and the swiss cheese keyboard is the next generation of keyboards

Offline d00deitsnik

• Grails: SA Olivia, 1800 w/ only Latriualum keycaps
« Reply #80 on: Wed, 25 November 2020, 23:06:31 »

Concrete plate PagChomp

I'm 100% down to go in on a concrete plate now. o.o

Offline CustomerSupport

• 🕸 developer
    • Discord
« Reply #81 on: Sat, 28 November 2020, 09:03:31 »

Concrete plate PagChomp

I'm 100% down to go in on a concrete plate now. o.o

I dunno man, that sounds a little stiff

Offline dibstern

« Reply #82 on: Sat, 28 November 2020, 16:59:53 »
The new mirror polish looks amazing, don’t sweat the name change, keep up the awesome work!

Offline Ustinj

Re: [IC] Moment - 60% | Discord, Prototyping
« Reply #83 on: Sat, 28 November 2020, 17:40:25 »
The new mirror polish looks amazing, don’t sweat the name change, keep up the awesome work!

thanks! Weight finish is still in prototyping.. Proto 2 should be here soon!

for an update here:

Hello all,

Many may be aware that there is currently another project being run on Geekhack sharing the name 'Phase': https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=109807.0

I reached out to LZ to discuss the names - it turns out that LZ had shared this project to his personal blog on August 28th, about a week before I posted my project on Geekhack. Unfortunately, I was not aware of his personal blog and wasn't able to find another board named Phase - so that is why I went through with it. LZ mentioned that his project was already undergoing production so it was too late to make any changes. HOWEVER, he also mentioned that it should be fine if the boards share a name due to the fact that the two boards are very different in layout, design, etc.

I did have a particular attachment to the name 'Phase' for my project, due to the theming. It's very true that often times, my hobbies and obsessions turn out to be temporary (see: headphones, knives, pens, certain games, etc.) - by naming my keyboard 'Phase', it seemed consistent to include keyboards into the broad overarching theme of being 'just a phase'. Also the middle letter of PHASE is an A and it lets me throw in my logo ;) That being said, I have the "O.K." to keep the name Phase. But for reasons, I will be renaming the project:

- Courtesy; LZ first posted for his project before mine, so naturally it would be polite to move.
- Identity; I would like for the project to have its own identity. I want future owners (myself included as a creator) to feel a sense of pride in ownership of something unique and 'itself'.
- The two go hand in hand!

Renaming the project is a very difficult decision for me to make, especially since many hours have been put into it as it is. Unfortunately, the 'moonphase' engravings will no longer be present under the USB port ... this one especially pains me as I received a few DMs about how the moon theme is quite possibly the most attractive point of the board! :(

I understand that some of you may not be happy with the name and branding change for the board.

I'm going to be renaming the project to Moment. I've been planning to make a board with this name for a while - I guess the 'moment' came a bit earlier than expected. The word 'Moment' still fits my initial theme for the board, one that revolves around time and how things change over it. The word has such a suave, liquid feel to me - something that is there one second and then gone the next, something that can shift from 'one moment to another'. It feels smooth, it feels fluid, it feels suiting for the side profile.

Hopefully it sits well  :) have a good weekend!

Offline jm8080

Re: [IC] moment - 60% | Discord, Prototyping
« Reply #84 on: Sat, 28 November 2020, 19:34:35 »
eh might as well change the name to "basic" because that new design is basic af, honestly I think you could think of other names where the lunar phases logo will still work instead of just giving up and straight up abandoning it. Lot's of people got attracted to this board initially because of that design.

Offline GMK83

« Reply #85 on: Sat, 28 November 2020, 20:06:09 »
eh might as well change the name to "basic" because that new design is basic af, honestly I think you could think of other names where the lunar phases logo will still work instead of just giving up and straight up abandoning it. Lot's of people got attracted to this board initially because of that design.

Don’t let the door hit you on the way out.

Continues to look fantastic Justin.  Can’t please everyone!

Offline Ustinj

« Reply #86 on: Sat, 28 November 2020, 20:06:48 »

that's fine - the central focus of the board was never meant to be the moon, the lunar engravings just were a symbol that came from the name. I'd be hard-pressed to abandon my own personal meaning of the board just to to uphold the moon theme!

that being said, if people aren't attracted to the board anymore due to the theme change, that is that - I design for myself, and the board's meaning to me. people are free to join if they are interested. thanks for the feedback!

;)

Offline Kinesiologist

« Reply #87 on: Sat, 28 November 2020, 21:06:13 »
Hey, just read your update regarding the project name change. The design still looks great and the text engraving on the weight is very classy. Looking forward to hearing more. :D

Offline SmoothFaces

« Reply #88 on: Sun, 29 November 2020, 05:16:10 »
Super clean, amazing job

Offline zekth

« Reply #89 on: Sun, 29 November 2020, 05:24:41 »
New weight looks great! following this IC even more

Offline RogueArchitect

« Reply #90 on: Mon, 30 November 2020, 18:02:29 »
Would really love to see this in ANSI.  Definitely would cop.

Offline Adelscott

« Reply #91 on: Tue, 01 December 2020, 00:57:44 »
Would really love to see this in ANSI.  Definitely would cop.
You mean WK maybe ? Because it seems very much ANSI to me already.
Please think about ISO users, add a split left shift to your "alice style" keyboards

Offline kk73715

• Why are you even reading
« Reply #92 on: Tue, 01 December 2020, 01:53:45 »
wait you're running two ICs at the same time? somewhat discomforting... whats the rush? you could always run one after the other. maybe you'll get some other inspiration along the way too

Offline Ustinj

« Reply #93 on: Tue, 01 December 2020, 02:13:25 »
No real update other than that Prototype 2 is finished (just waiting to be shipped). However, I figure I should address this 'concern':

wait you're running two ICs at the same time? somewhat discomforting... whats the rush? you could always run one after the other. maybe you'll get some other inspiration along the way too

I don't see the issue, and this is after a bit of consideration (knowing that there is a certain, somewhat unwarranted, stigma against having more than one IC up at a time). I'm not running two GBs at the same time, and I'm definitely not going to sit and stare at the same project every moment I decide to work on a keyboard. There is no rush - one project would be 'run' after the first is fulfilled / complete. It's just an IC, there's nothing running other than a thread to take in feedback / publicity & gauge demand while I wait for things to move.

Plus, after looking at this side profile for so many hours and getting sick of it, it's helpful to work on something else that has a different design language. Then, after getting tired of looking at that ... I switch back and the excitement for the first design is restored lol

On the last bit, regarding getting inspiration along the way.... since I've just dipped my toes into case design, I have to say, I am way too excited to create more and have so many ideas and inspirations already in the queue that I'm holding back from putting onto paper ^-^

Offline dandruff

« Reply #94 on: Tue, 01 December 2020, 02:14:46 »

Damn...! He was the only one that had your back in your IC and you do him like this... if the guy wants to run two ICs, let him! As long as he ain't cutting corners, right?

Offline kk73715

« Reply #95 on: Tue, 01 December 2020, 02:29:44 »
No real update other than that Prototype 2 is finished (just waiting to be shipped). However, I figure I should address this 'concern':

I don't see the issue, and this is after a bit of consideration (knowing that there is a certain, somewhat unwarranted, stigma against having more than one IC up at a time). I'm not running two GBs at the same time, and I'm definitely not going to sit and stare at the same project every moment I decide to work on a keyboard. There is no rush - one project would be 'run' after the first is fulfilled / complete. It's just an IC, there's nothing running other than a thread to take in feedback / publicity & gauge demand while I wait for things to move.

Plus, after looking at this side profile for so many hours and getting sick of it, it's helpful to work on something else that has a different design language. Then, after getting tired of looking at that ... I switch back and the excitement for the first design is restored lol

On the last bit, regarding getting inspiration along the way.... since I've just dipped my toes into case design, I have to say, I am way too excited to create more and have so many ideas and inspirations already in the queue that I'm holding back from putting onto paper ^-^

well said. as long as two GBs aren't running at the same time, I don't think there is too much to worry about. definitely scared me a little when I realised. I still think it is ambitious but you know your limits.

Offline kk73715

« Reply #96 on: Tue, 01 December 2020, 02:31:13 »

Damn...! He was the only one that had your back in your IC and you do him like this... if the guy wants to run two ICs, let him! As long as he ain't cutting corners, right?

I agree, but I do think it is important others are aware of this and to see what response comes out of it. there was some clarification, so all good!

Offline Ustinj

« Reply #97 on: Thu, 17 December 2020, 01:40:28 »
Update: December 16, 2020
Prototype 2 is here. Keep in mind that the order for this prototype was placed before the name change, so engravings may be a bit out-of-date..

I described the changes made to this prototype in an earlier post. Off the top of my head, here were the major changes:
  • New manufacturer
  • Larger weight
  • Sandblasted steel instead of mirror-polished steel weight
  • Decreased internal cavity volume, thicker aluminum internal floor
  • Plate changes
  • Minor QOL: Some fillet adjustments, M2.5 screws instead of M2..

A few typing tests: https://soundcloud.com/user-453131246/sets/moment-prototype-2/s-JlHqcZmErHT

• Aluminum plate, RT Blacks (205g0)
  • PC Plate, RT Blacks (205g0)
  • PC Plate, Gateron Inks (205g0)
  • PP Plate, CK Lavenders (JWK) (205g0)

Flex (PP Plate)

Some thoughts:
  • Finish is superb. Anodization is spotless (externally), the dark-gray is exactly what I wanted.
  • Sandblasted steel weight is interesting - feels very smooth, smoother than aluminum. It can shine quite brightly under direct light, but otherwise appears as dull warm gray. I really like the feel of it.
  • Forgot to add some relief cuts to the aluminum plate - we'll get 'em next time.
  • A lot of flex with the plastic plates... PP can get a super soft typing feel.

TODO:

Next prototype will be more or less the same structurally, but will have the updated engravings and will be a chance to test another production anodization. Might look to tighten up some tolerances / discuss with the manufacturer to make the top and bottom fit near-perfectly. May look back into mirror-polished SS (would cost more), or coated brass weight for e-white (gold + white is a great combination in my eyes). Also want to pick up an aluminum half plate ... keep forgetting that!

Will add a few more photos wheN i have the chance to take them with proper lighting...

« Last Edit: Thu, 17 December 2020, 01:44:04 by Ustinj »

Offline DJ Clicks

Re: [IC] moment - 60% | Prototype 2, Typing Tests, Flex Test
« Reply #98 on: Thu, 17 December 2020, 06:56:34 »
Possibility of pom plate?

Offline Beenoman

Re: [IC] moment - 60% | Prototype 2, Typing Tests, Flex Test
« Reply #99 on: Thu, 17 December 2020, 10:13:26 »
any estimates for the price or when it drops? Also, do you have a discord? Really don't want to miss this. Do you have already know what the supported layouts will be? If not, please consider adding a split 7u space for the WKL option, it'd make it a must buy for me.