Author Topic: New to GH  (Read 1788 times)

Offline cmb5286

New to GH
« on: Mon, 09 May 2016, 13:34:24 »
Hey guys. Figured I would join after lurking for the past year or so.

I purchased my first mech a couple months back. A WASD V2 with MX Browns and TaiHao Miami keycaps. I love it so far for work. Hoping to bring this one into the office and build a 60 or 80 for home use. I was looking at a B.mini on winkeyless.kr, but have no idea what I would need to buy. Time to start reading the FAQ and sticky threads ;D.

I blame a coworker for getting me into them. In the past 6 months, I've already bought 4 keycap sets (Miami, Granite, Pulse SA, and Nantucket). Quite the moneypit :)) :))

I look forward to learning a lot here.
« Last Edit: Mon, 09 May 2016, 13:37:16 by cmb5286 »

Offline izilla

Re: New to GH
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 09 May 2016, 14:34:10 »
Welcome aboard I have built several 60s using the GH60 PCB board from Techkeys also some a GH60 clones from Taiwan (have LED support) on eBay. I have plans on creating a branch from the GH60 to add RGB support while maintaining the OSHW. I just need to find the time do get some edits.

Offline gohono3

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 09 May 2016, 15:32:51 »
I'd cast my vote to build a 60% as I'm in the same process.  Maybe look into the zealios switches from zealPC, I think the 62g are a good replacement for MX browns. Avoid artisan keycaps unless you want your wallet to start hemorrhaging money!

Offline izilla

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 09 May 2016, 20:26:26 »
I'd cast my vote to build a 60% as I'm in the same process.  Maybe look into the zealios switches from zealPC, I think the 62g are a good replacement for MX browns. Avoid artisan keycaps unless you want your wallet to start hemorrhaging money!

Better yet start making your artisans, if you are good enough you can trade for other ones you want.

Offline cmb5286

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 10 May 2016, 07:07:30 »
Welcome aboard I have built several 60s using the GH60 PCB board from Techkeys also some a GH60 clones from Taiwan (have LED support) on eBay. I have plans on creating a branch from the GH60 to add RGB support while maintaining the OSHW. I just need to find the time do get some edits.

Yeah I'm definitely leaning towards a 60% for the fact that I hardly use the numpad. However the arrow keys can sometimes be useful to me. What slightly more than a 60%? I've seen 68%, 72%, etc

Offline gohono3

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 10 May 2016, 11:16:05 »
You could look at something like the Leopold 660, check it out over at MechanicalKeyboards

Offline Bigpock

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 10 May 2016, 11:17:05 »
Welcome to GH yo!

Offline izilla

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 10 May 2016, 11:27:16 »

Yeah I'm definitely leaning towards a 60% for the fact that I hardly use the numpad. However the arrow keys can sometimes be useful to me. What slightly more than a 60%? I've seen 68%, 72%, etc

I think the 68/72% layout add an extra column on the right side and use one of the modifiers like here

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 12 May 2016, 05:59:51 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Four keycap sets per keyboard sounds about right ;)

You might keep an eye on Massdrop (massdrop.com) as they have keyboard kits sometimes (and also a vendor sub-forum here).
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline kohi

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 12 May 2016, 14:19:32 »
welcome to geekhack!
maybe you can wait for this https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=81093.0 since you want a 60 with dedicated arrow keys :)