Author Topic: I'm finally here!  (Read 7917 times)

Offline twiggyoff

I'm finally here!
« on: Sat, 14 May 2016, 10:55:30 »
Once I discovered /r/mechanicalkeyboards on Reddit I found this, and was intimidated for about a month or so but I'm finally here in hopes to lose all my money!

Offline mteinum

Re: I'm finally here!
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 14 May 2016, 11:01:41 »
I'm finally here in hopes to lose all my money!

Easy. You can start collecting HHKBs.

Offline rurushu

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 14 May 2016, 14:10:07 »
Once I discovered /r/mechanicalkeyboards on Reddit I found this, and was intimidated for about a month or so but I'm finally here in hopes to lose all my money!

welcome to GeekHack!

I would suggest you explore slowly in this community as there are many things happening.
Take your time, learn slowly, find out more about mechanical keyboards, and of course, be mindful of how you spend, and you will find yourself enjoying this hobby for a long time  :)

Offline need

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 14 May 2016, 14:32:39 »
For serious learning, I find consulting the Deskthority Wiki is the best.

Offline Powerglove89

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 14 May 2016, 19:32:03 »
I found it through reddit too. I've been lurking for probably a year and never joined. Finally here too lol.
Now witness the firepower of this fully-armed and operational battle station.

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 15 May 2016, 00:30:15 »
Welcome!
Prepare to lose all available cash and spend some nights contemplating if this will be your life from now on.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 15 May 2016, 01:03:31 »
You never said what switches you have on your kbparadise :'(

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 15 May 2016, 02:22:45 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

I think I've replied in your other thread :eek:

PS. I've always wanted to do that ...
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 15 May 2016, 02:42:18 »
Hey, glad to have you! Keep in mind that if you lurk without posting, no one can make fun of you—so it's much more practical all around if you let your presence be known.

I found this out early in my GH visits. Now I often post deliberately ignorant things about keyboards so the people here with a bit too much spare time can gleefully pounce on me. It gives them something to do and makes them feel important, and I find it tremendously entertaining. Everyone's a winner.

Besides, the whole point of owning great KBs is to type stuff. If all you're doing is lurking around a KB site, you're using your mouse and not your KB. Does that make any sense? You may as well buy a Mac. Cheers, A.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 15 May 2016, 02:59:57 »
Hey, glad to have you! Keep in mind that if you lurk without posting, no one can make fun of you—so it's much more practical all around if you let your presence be known.

I found this out early in my GH visits. Now I often post deliberately ignorant things about keyboards so the people here with a bit too much spare time can gleefully pounce on me. It gives them something to do and makes them feel important, and I find it tremendously entertaining. Everyone's a winner.

Besides, the whole point of owning great KBs is to type stuff. If all you're doing is lurking around a KB site, you're using your mouse and not your KB. Does that make any sense? You may as well buy a Mac. Cheers, A.

I use a Mac at home, and now at work too :p
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline twiggyoff

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 15 May 2016, 03:43:10 »
Sorry! I have MX Clears on it and they are seriously fantastic, and I'm thinking about getting dampeners too make it even more quiet.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 15 May 2016, 04:55:37 »
Sorry! I have MX Clears on it and they are seriously fantastic, and I'm thinking about getting dampeners too make it even more quiet.

Do you get much ping from the keyboard?

I get a little on my CODE with MX clears, but I don't usually notice it, and when I do it sounds like wind chimes at a distance.  Some people have quite bad pinging from MX clears.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 15 May 2016, 06:26:51 »

I get a little on my CODE with MX clears, but I don't usually notice it, and when I do it sounds like wind chimes at a distance.  Some people have quite bad pinging from MX clears.

I wonder if gaterons ping a little. I haven't read about gateron clears pinging but that doesn't mean they don't ping.

Offline twiggyoff

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 15 May 2016, 07:49:57 »

I haven't got any ping from the keyboard, and a quick search resulted in a lot of CODE keyboards getting ping

Offline Powerglove89

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 15 May 2016, 15:38:39 »
Welcome!
Prepare to lose all available cash and spend some nights contemplating if this will be your life from now on.

StickyBlueJuice that chocolate keycap set is freaking awesome. I went and voted for em.
Now witness the firepower of this fully-armed and operational battle station.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 16 May 2016, 05:49:50 »
I wonder if gaterons ping a little. I haven't read about gateron clears pinging but that doesn't mean they don't ping.

I haven't heard much about Gaterons pinging either, but MX clears are infamous for it!

I haven't got any ping from the keyboard, and a quick search resulted in a lot of CODE keyboards getting ping

Lucky you!  My CODE doesn't ping anywhere near as much as a lot of those videos!  I was a bit worried when I bought mine (from Massdrop) reading the reviews whether mine would ping or not.  Its a long way to return it if that was an option.  Fortunately it is fine :)

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 16 May 2016, 20:01:04 »
Welcome to GeekHack!

Welcome!

I don't even contemplate anymore. I just know it will be.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 10 June 2016, 01:52:08 »
Quote from: Ander
...Besides, the whole point of owning great KBs is to type stuff. If all you're doing is lurking around a KB site, you're using your mouse and not your KB. Does that make any sense? You may as well buy a Mac.

Cool! Is Apple finally letting people use two-button mouses? Or do they still worry that something that complicated would be too confusing? You can see how that'd stymie some peeps.
« Last Edit: Fri, 10 June 2016, 02:04:42 by ander »
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 12 June 2016, 06:09:25 »
Quote from: Ander
...Besides, the whole point of owning great KBs is to type stuff. If all you're doing is lurking around a KB site, you're using your mouse and not your KB. Does that make any sense? You may as well buy a Mac.

Cool! Is Apple finally letting people use two-button mouses? Or do they still worry that something that complicated would be too confusing? You can see how that'd stymie some peeps.

I've been using 2 button mouses on Macs for, well, quite a few years now.  I started on my G4 PowerMac about, er, 8 or 9 years ago, and it worked flawlessly then under Tiger.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 13 June 2016, 20:04:37 »
Quote from: Rowdy
I've been using 2 button mouses on Macs for, well, quite a few years now.  I started on my G4 PowerMac about, er, 8 or 9 years ago, and it worked flawlessly then under Tiger.

Hey, that's great—Mac people are moving up! It's still cute how they name the OSs after animals, though. It always reminds me of one of the communications companies we have here in Canada, that uses cute animals to advertise their stuff:

Aww!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 16 June 2016, 06:05:34 »
Quote from: Rowdy

Hey, that's great—Mac people are moving up! It's still cute how they name the OSs after animals, though. It always reminds me of one of the communications companies we have here in Canada, that uses cute animals to advertise their stuff:

Show Image

Aww!

How far behind are you? :p

The last one named after an animal was, er, 10.8 Mountain Lion.

Then there was 10.9 Mavericks, 10.10 Yosemite and 10.11 El Capitan.

The next one is supposed to be renamed macOS (instead of OS X) and called Sienna or something.

Sometimes I miss the old days where it was just Mac OS 7, for example.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 21 June 2016, 02:49:46 »
Go figure. Well, they have to call them something, huh?

BTW, twiggyoff, consider this your official confirmation that you are, indeed, finally Here. Your arrival has been duly noted by people typing on mechanical keyboards, too. How appropriate.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 21 June 2016, 05:34:40 »

BTW, twiggyoff, consider this your official confirmation that you are, indeed, finally Here. Your arrival has been duly noted by people typing on mechanical keyboards, too. How appropriate.

Microsoft (which I keep typing as Microsfot lol) have code names for unreleased versions, "longhorn" and so on, but they just release it with a number or something like XP.

Boring, really.

Some Linux distros come up with very silly names for their releases, and a lot just have a version number.

This is not about keyboards, and it's not even the off topic section.  How did we get here? :))

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 21 June 2016, 10:49:44 »

Microsoft (which I keep typing as Microsfot lol) have code names for unreleased versions, "longhorn" and so on, but they just release it with a number or something like XP.

Boring, really.

Some Linux distros come up with very silly names for their releases, and a lot just have a version number.

This is not about keyboards, and it's not even the off topic section.  How did we get here? :))

Haha, I read earlier today that all versions after 1.0 of Debian were/are named after Toy Story characters :D

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 22 June 2016, 06:02:27 »

Boring, really.

Haha, I read earlier today that all versions after 1.0 of Debian were/are named after Toy Story characters :D

Something like that.

Most distros have themes, Mint is girls' names.

Ubuntu is silly unpronouncable things.

I don't really follow many others.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 02 July 2016, 04:18:56 »

Clearly, MKs are conducive to extra typing. No surprise there, I suppose.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #26 on: Sun, 03 July 2016, 01:39:32 »

Clearly, MKs are conducive to extra typing. No surprise there, I suppose.

+1 he said, continuing to type on his SSK, and snjoying all the noise while he can, knowing full well that he has to switch to a much quieter keyboard before bedtime tonight so as not to keep the rest of the house awake, nor to wake everyone prematurely at 5:30am the following morning.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 06 July 2016, 04:16:57 »
+1 he said, continuing to type on his SSK, and snjoying all the noise while he can, knowing full well that he has to switch to a much quieter keyboard before bedtime tonight so as not to keep the rest of the house awake, nor to wake everyone prematurely at 5:30am the following morning.

Sorry to hear life can be that complicated down under too, mate. For what it's worth, as a musician, I must also be aware of not playing too loudly when The Family is trying to sleep—so it can always be even more complicated.

And, erm, BTW, what are you doing up typing at 5:30 a.m.? Is that like our 5:30 p.m.?

I'd also like to point out that none of this detracts from the fact that the OP is, indeed, finally here. Unless the OP has wandered off in boredom by now, which is possible.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #28 on: Wed, 06 July 2016, 05:48:53 »

Sorry to hear life can be that complicated down under too, mate. For what it's worth, as a musician, I must also be aware of not playing too loudly when The Family is trying to sleep—so it can always be even more complicated.

And, erm, BTW, what are you doing up typing at 5:30 a.m.? Is that like our 5:30 p.m.?

I'd also like to point out that none of this detracts from the fact that the OP is, indeed, finally here. Unless the OP has wandered off in boredom by now, which is possible.

OP unfortunately has not been online since 26-May and last post was on 15-May.  Hopefully not scared off :))

5:30am when I wake from my slumber, usually to the warbling tone of my alarm.  Wake the computer, start a couple of morning apps (email, browser), and get some breakfast.

Then check emails and stuff for half an hour until departing for work around 6:30am, and arriving at work 7:30am.