Author Topic: Hi from the UK  (Read 1955 times)

Offline ScopeyD

Hi from the UK
« on: Tue, 17 May 2016, 17:11:17 »
Hi guys, after wanting to jump into the wild world of Mechanical boards I've been mixed between Ducky One TKL or the CM Storm QFTK Blue.

Either way I'm 100% going the Blue route, preferably a TKL board.

Wondering if you guys with more experience could shed some light on others boards I should be looking at?

Anywhere in the price range up to £120($150)

Thanks  :D

Offline theXavier89

Re: Hi from the UK
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 17 May 2016, 18:19:02 »
If you don't need backlighting, and if you don't need UK ISO, I recommend the Leopold FC750R. Great board. Amazing build quality, and surprisingly low price point.
Before you ask, yes I name all of my keyboards.

Betty                    Lucy            Elizabeth (Cluebard)

Offline joey

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 17 May 2016, 18:21:18 »
Welcome fellow UKer!

Offline ScopeyD

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 17 May 2016, 18:57:27 »
Thank you for the welcome  :D

That board looks very nice indeed, struggling to find a UK seller but will delve into it a bit more when it isn't 1AM haha.

Thanks! :)

Offline ScopeyD

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 18:36:41 »
So after another evening of looking around I've decided to pick up the CM Storm QFR.

I see it get a lot of praise not just here for its customization but overall being a solid board.

Plus I got £20 ($29) knocked off the price at a local store. Couldn't be happier.

Once I've got settled with it I'm going to start looking into the basic mods, (Keycaps etc)

I feel this could lead to a new addiction hmmmmm haha.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 19 May 2016, 05:57:18 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Second person recently to look at or get a QFR - and I didn't even know they were still available :))

I have a QFR with MX blacks which is still going strong after a few years, and a QFS with MX greens.  Great keyboard.  Standard layout (I have the US ANSI layout).  The QFR is an older model with the excessive branding, but really it doesn't bother me.  Later releases have much less branding on them.

Did you go for the ISO or ANSI layout?  ANSI will be considerably easier to find replacement keycaps for, but more and more sets these days are including ISO support.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline ScopeyD

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 19 May 2016, 10:37:21 »
Thanks for the welcome  :)

Yeah the guy I was speaking to at the store said that he's personally sold loads the past few weeks and he was wondering if I had any idea why since it's an older board nowadays.

Also ANSI layout, most I've looked at tbh have been an ANSI, plus it doesn't bother me in the slightest as I've used both board styles in the past.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 22 May 2016, 02:26:30 »
Thanks for the welcome  :)

Yeah the guy I was speaking to at the store said that he's personally sold loads the past few weeks and he was wondering if I had any idea why since it's an older board nowadays.

Also ANSI layout, most I've looked at tbh have been an ANSI, plus it doesn't bother me in the slightest as I've used both board styles in the past.

It's a great solid reliable keyboard.  A few years back it was the go-to recommendation for someone who wanted a reliable no-frills board with no backlighting.  Ducky used to be the standard recommendation for a board with backlighting, and Filco for a top of the range board.

Now there are so many different manufacturers and keyboards around it's difficult to keep up.

Good to see that the old standard QFR is still going :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ