Author Topic: Hi all! from Singapore  (Read 2893 times)

Offline zephyr11

Hi all! from Singapore
« on: Sun, 22 May 2016, 21:39:28 »
Hi all,

Very excited about something that I just started getting into, mech kb. Hahaha.

I've always known about them, but always thought it was too expensive for regular ppl like me. then I found some for a good price, and decided to give it a try, and I can only say I am HOOKED.

Now I cannot stop trying to type. LoL!!!

think the current one I have is not a very "hi end" piece, but def love how it feels and I can only inmagine that cherry mx and others are better!

current using a Zhuque Team Wolf ten key less, with brown Othemu switches. had stock key caps for 2 weeks before I found some taihao doubleshot abs keycaps for cheap, which I am currently using. that was about 1mth back now, just ordered some gateron brown switches to swap out of the current kb, (hot swappable, not sure what it is called), and waiting for it to arrive.

quite like the feel of doubleshot abs, but I think I might venture into pbt to give it a try.

already planning to purchase another kb for home use, (the current one is at work where I type more).

thanks for having me!

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
    • PM me and ask for a custom title!
Re: Hi all! from Singapore
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 23 May 2016, 01:14:09 »
Welcome to GeekHack and watch out for the WalletHack! :cool:

If you want some PBTs, there was a recent group buy for EnjoyPBT Dyesub/Blank Keysets and there are extras available.

Happy Keyboarding! :thumb:

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 23 May 2016, 05:54:32 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

infiniti has linked you to a very good thread to read, before you spend too much money.  Kinda puts things into perspective.

Apart from that the cost to enter the mechanical keyboard world is a lot lower now than it used to be.  Mechanical keyboards used to be very expensive and rare luxury items that only a few could afford and even less actually bought.

Now there's plenty of manufacturers turning out really quite good boards for a fraction of the price of the older ones.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline zephyr11

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 23 May 2016, 08:44:58 »
^^^^^^^^

yes! i've already read the thread, and i agree! i got something simple to test if i liked what i was using and i think my next kb will likely be the "final" one i have for awhile.

so yea, picking and choosing slowly and wisely.

the fact that it was really expensive previously was also what was holding me back in picking up one. it wasn't until i found out that they now come at really a quarter of the price that got me interested.

i'm still happy with what i have, and i think some pbt keycaps will be what will make them better at least for now.

thank you!

:)

Offline zephyr11

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 23 May 2016, 08:51:27 »
Welcome to GeekHack and watch out for the WalletHack! :cool:

If you want some PBTs, there was a recent group buy for EnjoyPBT Dyesub/Blank Keysets and there are extras available.

Happy Keyboarding! :thumb:

thank you for the link! will check out the sets still avail.

Offline Capmerica

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 23 May 2016, 11:47:20 »
Check out artisan keycap section too, hot key cap is having a sale now. Warning: this may put a whole in your wallet but you will feel happy haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 05:48:16 »
^^^^^^^^

yes! i've already read the thread, and i agree! i got something simple to test if i liked what i was using and i think my next kb will likely be the "final" one i have for awhile.

the fact that it was really expensive previously was also what was holding me back in picking up one. it wasn't until i found out that they now come at really a quarter of the price that got me interested.

i'm still happy with what i have, and i think some pbt keycaps will be what will make them better at least for now.

thank you!

I did my research when I first joined, and my first modern mechanical keyboard was AUD$150 or thereabouts.  Most of the keyboards I have acquired since then have been somewhat less than that, with a few notable exceptions.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline zephyr11

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 05:53:16 »
Check out artisan keycap section too, hot key cap is having a sale now. Warning: this may put a whole in your wallet but you will feel happy haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i know about them, and already just spent some money. lol!!!

thanks for the info!

Offline zephyr11

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 05:56:12 »
^^^^^^^^

thank you!

I did my research when I first joined, and my first modern mechanical keyboard was AUD$150 or thereabouts.  Most of the keyboards I have acquired since then have been somewhat less than that, with a few notable exceptions.

just received some brown gaterons, will update once i have them installed on my work kb.

Offline dannrawr

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 07:22:47 »
hi bro im going to sg this 28, because got overwatch event there aha.

WTF any Bruce, Cosmonauts

Offline zephyr11

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 29 May 2016, 05:17:15 »
hi bro im going to sg this 28, because got overwatch event there aha.

hi there!

i'm sorry i only saw this today.

hope you had fun! where was the overwatch event? i didn't even know about it.

Offline dannrawr

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 29 May 2016, 14:11:45 »
its at capitol theater, stamford road there, i took mrt to city hall

WTF any Bruce, Cosmonauts