Author Topic: Hi Everyone (A Recent Convert)  (Read 3375 times)

Offline CupboardKeys

Hi Everyone (A Recent Convert)
« on: Sat, 21 May 2016, 16:02:18 »
I thought I better introduce myself I'm Sound Engineer, Computer Geek and Watch Nerd based in the UK. Who finally made the jump into the world of mechanical keyboards, after thinking about it for years  I bought a Filco Ninja Majestouch-2 full size with MX blues earlier this month and I'm hooked this forum helped me make my decision so decided to get involved.
« Last Edit: Sat, 21 May 2016, 16:07:55 by CupboardKeys »

Offline khirin

• Do more, with less.
Re: Hi Everyone (A Recent Convert)
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 21 May 2016, 19:46:45 »
Welcome to Geekhack!  I have a Filco Ninja Majestouch too. Great keyboard. Have you tried other kb switches? i.e. cherry mx green?  brown?  clear?  I started with red but now prefer clear the most. Too bad Filco doesn't  have the clear.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 22 May 2016, 02:51:23 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

If you like watches, there's a thread you might like to visit.

It's amazing how long we can use any old rubber dome keyboard without realising that a whole world of mechanical keyboards exists.  So much stuff to spend money on ... ;)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline CupboardKeys

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 22 May 2016, 05:47:50 »
thanks for the reply's

I haven't yet tried any other types of switch yet.The reason I went for MX blues is that I had a old mechanical board with my first PC around 13 years ago I have no idea what brand it was or what type of switch it used, to my memory the filco does feel similar but I was a kid when board disappeared so I can't be sure.

Thanks for the link Rowdy I can't believe how long I used mush boards and your right about how much there is out there to spend money I'm currently considering a few mods for the filco and I'm thinking about buying a G84-4100 for use with my laptop. I know there's a bit of a love hate relationship going on with ML low profile switches but I want something small and portable. For the price I can get one for on ebay I think it's worth a shot.
« Last Edit: Sun, 22 May 2016, 05:52:57 by CupboardKeys »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 23 May 2016, 05:37:38 »
thanks for the reply's

I haven't yet tried any other types of switch yet.The reason I went for MX blues is that I had a old mechanical board with my first PC around 13 years ago I have no idea what brand it was or what type of switch it used, to my memory the filco does feel similar but I was a kid when board disappeared so I can't be sure.

Thanks for the link Rowdy I can't believe how long I used mush boards and your right about how much there is out there to spend money I'm currently considering a few mods for the filco and I'm thinking about buying a G84-4100 for use with my laptop. I know there's a bit of a love hate relationship going on with ML low profile switches but I want something small and portable. For the price I can get one for on ebay I think it's worth a shot.

I was thinking HHKB until you mentioned a good price :))

That old keyboard might have been a Model F or Model M, or perhaps a clicky Alps variant.  In any case MX blue or MX green would be as close as you can get with a modern switch (but still not quite as good as the real thing).
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline CupboardKeys

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 23 May 2016, 12:45:31 »
The reason I mentioned a good price was because the board would be a rarely used so I don't really want to hundreds on a keyboard that will most likley sit on a shelf most of it's life. Although the HHKB does look like a great keyboard it will defiantly be maybe list.

I'm still researching 60 and 70 percent keyboards and have yet to decide what I'm going to do, it maybe a wile before I buy another Keyboard, but I must admit I am intrigued by the cherry ml low profile switch and may buy one just to try as wallet wouldn't take much of a hit. 

I think that old board I had may have been cherry or alps, but it may have been some variant of bucking spring I have no idea, all I can say for sure is that it wasn't Model F or Model M, it was from the 90s It came with a custom built budget pc I got for Christmas in 2000. I think it had vision in the name.

I'm glad I bought the MX Blues, but I was tempted by the unicomp bucking spring boards. I may buy one someday but for now I'm happy with the Filco

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 05:50:24 »
If you're tempted by a Unicomp, keep an eye out for a Model M as they are pretty much the same, except you can get some really good deals on a Model M if you're careful.

Pok3r is an extremely popular modern 60% keyboard (albeit with no dedicated arrows, if that's important), and FC660M is a 60% with dedicated arrow keys.  Both are generally reviewed well.

Offline CupboardKeys

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 18:03:27 »
Thanks for the advice and recommendations I'll keep my eye out for deal on a Model M I have seen a few from sellers in Europe that look decent, I will probably pickup a Model M or Unicomp at some point, most likely a Model M as I've read some disappointing things about the quality of the casing on some of the Unicomp boards.

The fc660m looks very promising. I can cope without a numpad but I'm not sure if I'd get on very well with board that didn't have arrow keys as I use them a lot and I would always be having to use the function key which would probably slow me down. I like the idea of boards like the HHKB and the Pok3r but I don't think there for me. 

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 18:17:46 »
Seems like the casing issues happen to the darker Unicomp boards (maybe more noticeable?). Cool thing about Unicomp is that they offer a sticker that can change the LED area to have a more vintage look.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 25 May 2016, 05:47:27 »
Thanks for the advice and recommendations I'll keep my eye out for deal on a Model M I have seen a few from sellers in Europe that look decent, I will probably pickup a Model M or Unicomp at some point, most likely a Model M as I've read some disappointing things about the quality of the casing on some of the Unicomp boards.

The fc660m looks very promising. I can cope without a numpad but I'm not sure if I'd get on very well with board that didn't have arrow keys as I use them a lot and I would always be having to use the function key which would probably slow me down. I like the idea of boards like the HHKB and the Pok3r but I don't think there for me. 

You can always get a separate numpad, should you find you really need one.

There's also Varmilo, which are similar in layout to the FC660M, and they have a competition running at the moment.

Offline CupboardKeys

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 26 May 2016, 05:11:22 »
yes I think your right about the darker models being more prone to noticeable case problems.

I did consider getting a TKL with a separate numpad when I bought my current board for my main desktop but I don't think I'd miss the numpad when using a laptop. Thanks for heads-up about the FC660M competition.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 26 May 2016, 06:02:36 »
yes I think your right about the darker models being more prone to noticeable case problems.

I did consider getting a TKL with a separate numpad when I bought my current board for my main desktop but I don't think I'd miss the numpad when using a laptop. Thanks for heads-up about the FC660M competition.

It's a competition for a Varmilo keyboard, not a FC660M keyboard, just to be clear.

Offline CupboardKeys

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 26 May 2016, 12:52:24 »
I must of had a memory lapse when I wrote that last post thanks
« Last Edit: Thu, 26 May 2016, 12:54:51 by CupboardKeys »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 27 May 2016, 05:51:37 »

Some notebooks have numeric keypads.  Looks kinda weird, but there you go.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 27 May 2016, 12:33:20 »

I've owned one with and without and I definitely prefer without.

Offline CupboardKeys

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 28 May 2016, 18:13:11 »

I've seen some notebooks with numeric keypads and I must admit they've never looked right to me, I think I'd use a separate keypad if I needed one.

I don't use my thinkpad x220 a great deal and when I do I'm only browsing the web or writing/editing documents I hardly use excel on my laptop so I can cope without a numpad for now.

« Last Edit: Sat, 28 May 2016, 18:15:33 by CupboardKeys »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 29 May 2016, 01:07:18 »

I've seen some notebooks with numeric keypads and I must admit they've never looked right to me, I think I'd use a separate keypad if I needed one.

I don't use my thinkpad x220 a great deal and when I do I'm only browsing the web or writing/editing documents I hardly use excel on my laptop so I can cope without a numpad for now.

They do look odd - my boss has one.

But the ones with no keypad just have blank case either side of the keyboard.