Author Topic: Hello, World!  (Read 3501 times)

Offline MandrewDavis

• Chasin' That Neon Rainbow
Hello, World!
« on: Wed, 25 May 2016, 21:31:34 »
Hey everyone!

I have been interested in mechanical keyboards for a while now but nothing ever peaked my interest and all I really saw was the gamer oriented stuff. One day I saw some cool boards on Reddit and I happened to look on Craigslist right as someone posted a white Rosewill RK-9000 with Cherry blues for $20. Just like that, I was hooked!

My Boards:

White Rosewill RK-9000, MX Blues with Cakey for an ESC key and Miami on the way.

ZZ96 with 67g Zealios, clipped and padded stabs, Geekkeys BoB keycaps, and Breaking Bad novelties inside an acrylic sandwich case. - In Progress

Upcoming projects for the next year:

Plank or a custom, handwired, 40% layout with DSA Royal Navy.

VE.A if I can find someone to buy an extra PCB for me.

I really enjoy the mech community on Reddit, but I get tired of everyone's Pok3rs. I am joining GH because I want to be part of all the GBs and ICs that seem to start on here and see the more serious side of keyboarding.
« Last Edit: Thu, 26 May 2016, 01:44:52 by MandrewDavis »
I've come to view humanity as predominantly monkey business.

My Classifieds Thread

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
Re: Hello, World!
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 25 May 2016, 21:52:28 »
Cool deal, welcome aboard :)
Chris Schammert

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 26 May 2016, 06:04:47 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

That's an excellent deal on the Rosewill!

Don't knock the Pok3r too much, they are great keyboards!  Very popular - sometimes a dozen new members join in one week, each with a Pok3r :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline MandrewDavis

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 26 May 2016, 15:10:49 »
Thanks for the warm welcome!

The pok3r is great, I just like to be a bit different!

I do have a few quick questions. Is there anywhere I can obtain a red DSA 6u spacebar since SP is not going to restock it?
Also, in building a keyboard that will be plate mounted (VE.A), is 1.5mm steel too hard of a typing surface? Would 5mm acrylic be a better choice?

My Classifieds Thread

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 26 May 2016, 15:31:39 »

I do have a few quick questions. Is there anywhere I can obtain a red DSA 6u spacebar since SP is not going to restock it?
Also, in building a keyboard that will be plate mounted (VE.A), is 1.5mm steel too hard of a typing surface? Would 5mm acrylic be a better choice?

1.5mm steel is pretty thin. I'm not sure which would flex more, I want to say the acrylic will but I don't have the materials in front of me to give you a decent answer.
Chris Schammert

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 27 May 2016, 05:53:42 »

Nothing wrong with being a bit different around here ;)

SP is the only company making DSA.  If they are not going to stock it any more, and not going to make any on request, your only bet would be online auction sites or classifieds.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline MandrewDavis

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 07 June 2016, 02:36:17 »
I have commented on a few posts, namely the pricecheck thread and it shows up under "Show new replies to your posts". Any way to remove it from showing up there in the future?

My Classifieds Thread

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 07 June 2016, 05:59:32 »
I have commented on a few posts, namely the pricecheck thread and it shows up under "Show new replies to your posts". Any way to remove it from showing up there in the future?

Where is that "show new replies" link?  I couldn't find anything on the men anywhere.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 07 June 2016, 12:06:51 »

Where is that "show new replies" link?  I couldn't find anything on the men anywhere.

I think you may be looking in the wrong place rowdy.. :))
Chris Schammert

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 08 June 2016, 05:52:16 »

I think you may be looking in the wrong place rowdy.. :))

I blame these MX reds - I never did like them much :p