Author Topic: [IC] Argyle - 60% Through-hole Keyboard (GB Starts 2/19)  (Read 191709 times)

Offline Seoulcialite

• MechSeoul
[IC] Argyle - 60% Through-hole Keyboard (GB Starts 2/19)
« on: Fri, 08 May 2020, 14:05:15 »

Do you love through-hole keyboards? Wish there was a more premium option? If you’ve answered yes, I may have a keyboard for you! I present to you, Argyle.

IC Form

Please take a minute to fill it out. If this goes to GB, most likely only the most popular 2 or 3 options will be offered.

Features:
  • 8 degree typing angle
  • Aluminum housing
  • Visible through-hole components
  • RGB LEDs for the side partitions
  • Top mounted plate
  • QMK/VIA
  • USB-C
Renders:

Rendered by Abec

Additional Renders:
More

PCB and Silkscreen:

The argyle patterns of the bottom corners needs no explanation. Love it or hate it? Let me know in the IC form. As for the logo on the top-right, I have been thinking about becoming a vendor serving Asia for some time now. It is still under consideration but I have put in some legwork including a name, MechSeoul, and a logo. Even if I decide to not go the vendor route, the logo is something I decided to place on my current and any future designs. It features N-Tower, an iconic communications tower located in the center of Seoul.

Supported Layouts:

Vendors:

• EU: ProtoTypist
  • Others: to be determined

Pricing and MOQ:

To be determined

Colors and Options:
  • Housing Colors: black, white (other options to be determined)
  • PCB Colors: to be determined
  • Tops: standard (possibly WKL and HHKB)
  • Plates: aluminum (other options to be determined)
  • Window: acrylic or glass
Design:

I love the through-hole keyboards out there but I wanted one with a metal housing. So, I employed the wonderful team at ProtoTypist (Jae: logistics and fulfillment, James: housing design, Yiancar: PCB design) to make my idea into a reality. To give it’s own flavor and to give a better view of the components, the components were split to the sides of the keyboard. The relatively high typing angle was also chosen to increase the visibility of the components. Even though 65% is my favorite layout by far, I couldn’t pass up the opportunity to match the symmetry of the housing with the symmetry of the 60% layout. Because the focus of the keyboard is the side partitions, the rest of the design was kept relatively simple.

To-do:
  • Get prototype PCBs (Built and tested)
  • Get prototype housing (Currently with Jae for fitment testing)
  • Finalize vendors
  • Finalize details (MOQ, colors, options, pricing)
Possible Concerns:
  • Sound: The hollow space in the side partitions may negatively affect the sound (but can probably be easily remedied with foam if that's the case)
  • Illumination: The LEDs may not illuminate the entirety of the partition in a satisfactory way.

FAQ:

Q: How are the see-through panels held in place?

A: There are grooves for rubber/foam which will hold up the panels. The grooves can be seen in some of the renders if you look closely.

Q: How are the side partitions illuminated?

A: The image of the PCB shows the location of 10 RGB LEDs. These LEDs will shoot light up into a diffuser which will direct light off to the sides. One side of the diffuser is blocked off to prevent light bleed through the switch plate. A simple render of the implementation can be seen here:
More

Q: Could you add an bluetooth, OLED, rotary encoder, T-bar fader, fingerprint reader, and/or flux capacitor?

A: If the response of the IC/GB is positive, the GB runs smoothly, and the desire for a R2 is high, ideally I would add more features in future rounds. The design team and I already had to put our minds together to tackle a few obstacles such as elegant way to hold the panels in place and to light up the interior of the side partitions. More features means a higher chance something will fail or not be adequate. So, I'm starting simple now but I'm open to add more features in any future rounds.

Banner:

Show your support by adding the following to your signature:
Code: [Select]
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=106255.0][img width=480 height=120]https://imgur.com/gOc9crW.png[/img][/url]
« Last Edit: Mon, 14 February 2022, 12:22:45 by Seoulcialite »

Offline Seoulcialite

• MechSeoul
Re: [IC] Argyle - 60% Through-hole Keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 08 May 2020, 14:05:47 »
(Reserved)

Offline ab042896

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 08 May 2020, 14:15:11 »
Woah, this is definitely a more sophisticated take on a through hole board, I like it!

Offline fropsie

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 08 May 2020, 14:16:56 »
Yes.

Offline singabore

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 08 May 2020, 14:18:48 »
poggies

Offline PvtSkittles

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 08 May 2020, 14:21:10 »
I need it.

Offline donut_sauce

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 08 May 2020, 14:23:24 »
that is awesome

Offline Fredington

• Instagram
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 08 May 2020, 14:30:24 »
HHKB please.

Offline naked_and_jameson

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 08 May 2020, 14:33:59 »
Wow, amazing. Love it. I'll be in on this.

Offline ttom

• Formerly tvaro
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 08 May 2020, 14:43:37 »
I love this, great work
Hoarder Collector and designer

Classifieds

Offline huey

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 08 May 2020, 14:58:05 »
Nice. Thank you for adding ISO support, the bottom engraving is fantastic, the silk-screen is classy and well done, and the overall minimal design is lovely.

Some form of PCB mount would make this board for me.

The renders do make it look silver to me though, I know it should be white but eh.

Also, how are the "glass" panels going to be mounted? It seems like the most fragile part of the design, while easy to replace, it's durability concerns me.
« Last Edit: Fri, 08 May 2020, 15:01:27 by huey »

Offline badboy731

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 08 May 2020, 15:16:10 »
I was just wondering what this board was from the renders I've seen. Glad to see an IC for it!
E7-V1 | TGR Jane v2 CE | HBCP | GSKT-00 | Raine | AOS

Offline Seoulcialite

• MechSeoul
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 08 May 2020, 15:21:25 »
Nice. Thank you for adding ISO support, the bottom engraving is fantastic, the silk-screen is classy and well done, and the overall minimal design is lovely.

Some form of PCB mount would make this board for me.

The renders do make it look silver to me though, I know it should be white but eh.

Also, how are the "glass" panels going to be mounted? It seems like the most fragile part of the design, while easy to replace, it's durability concerns me.

First keyboard IC so I thought I'd keep it simple with top-mount. GMK Shoko has been rendered with silver housing.

There will be grooves to hold foam that will in turn hold up the panels. So, the panels are kind of gasket mounted? haha. Thought about putting gasket mount in the title but thought that would be too bait and switch. lol.

Offline neon_tom

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 08 May 2020, 16:49:53 »
Love this

Offline Magnificent Bureaucrat

• Sooooo much red tape
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 08 May 2020, 18:07:57 »
Odds on this is going to be out of the question for me finance wise, but this looks so freakin' good.

I live in hope of a cheap version of this premium version of the cheap through-holes :)

Offline phat schlong

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 08 May 2020, 18:36:39 »
I love this. Definitely interested.

Offline worldspawn

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 08 May 2020, 18:37:09 »
What's the intent with the I2C header?  If you rearranged the pins so it is GND 5v SCK SDA, one could install an OLED in that location as well.

I can make acrylic laser cut cases/plates PM for info

Offline hottrout

• I'd Hit Dat Key
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 08 May 2020, 18:42:32 »
Quirky but quite cool.  Could make a great gaming board.  Will there be any lighting on the sides?
Current Daily Driver : Virgo - Ultramarine - Standard Lube  |  WTB : Topre Realforce Hi-Pro, please PM me if you have one for sale.

Systems -
More
Work |i9-7940x@4.8ghz|32GB(3600)|STRIX-RTX3090Ti|Bespoke Water, 360m Rad|X299 Prime Deluxe|EK x299 Monoblock|Optane 900p|2x1TB 960 Pro|2x10TB Helium|Dell U3415W + Dell UP2116Q
Home |i9-13900ks|32GB(7300)|Rog RTX 4090|Asus Z790 Rog Maximus Hero|Torrent Air|2TB 990 Pro|2TB 990 Pro|Dell AW3423DW QOLED|NEC MultiSync|Drobo16TB
Mining |i5-7500|16GB(2400)|H110 Pro BTC+|8x1080Ti|2x1650Watt PSU

Plus 40 years of collecting retro computers, consoles, games, peripherals, mainframes and mini's as well as their software, keyboards, games and manuals. 100's of systems including every Amiga model made
  Keyboards -
More
IBM 3101 | IBM 3276 | IBM 5150 | IBM ModelM | Dictaphone Dual Display | Vintage Cherrys (1982 onwards, just about all of them) | Commodore (all of them) | Nixdorf | Siemens | ICL | Apple (all of them) | Filco Majistouch | KBDFans 5degree - Chocolate | Rama M6-B - Moon | CA66 Silver | ClueBoard Graphite/PC | Varmilo VA69M Silver | E7-V1 SE Yellow | Rama U-80 Space Grey | VN66 Navy | BOCC Frosted Polycarbonate | Rama M10-C Midnight | FLX Virgo Teal & Black | Rama M60-A LYN Kuro | Space65 CyberVoyager WhiteGold | Space65 CyberVoyager Terminal | Hyper 7 | Clarabelle Sandblasted Polycarbonate | Elongate Mini 1800 Blue | Petrichor 1800 Red | Vulcan Maja Ergo Green | Think6.5v2 RoboCop | Jacky Bear 65% E-White | Sakabato CB87 TKL Champagne | KCK KY-01 Aquamarine | Jae J-01 F&F E-White & Copper | S7.7 E-White | The Adélie Blue | NIX OxalyS80 LE Dark Polycarbonate | Mesa TKL E-White | Smith & Rune IRON180 Graen/Brass | Skog Reboot Desert | CU7 Black | ROTR Silver & Copper | RAMA Kara Soya | Grid 650 E-White | SIX5 LE Aluminium & Gold | OwLab Voice65 Grey | BOX 75 Black Stainless Steel | Onyx E-White | Ikki68 BT Charcoal | Smith & Rune Iron 165 Graphite & Stainless Steel | Epoch 80% Black | RAMA Thermal SEQ2 Kuro | Paper Crane Gerald65 SE PC & CF | CB1800 ZANBATO | GLiTCH | Eclipse Grey & SS | TGR Tomo Silver | Mountain Ergo Black | Keebwerk NASU Black/Red | Phase One 65 Grey | Command TKL Fire | Chalice Frosted | VIENDI 8L Shadow | | Vulcan Maja PC | Glove 80 | Matrix 8XV 3.0 Starry Night | Sagittarius Grey Lilac | AKB OGR & Numpad Dolch | Type K Black

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 08 May 2020, 19:09:12 »
Very nice. Wish I didn't have so many 60s already coming. But definitely cool.

Offline FRANCO

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 08 May 2020, 19:18:52 »
Would there be space to install a rotary encoder?

Offline abstractkb

• Abstract Keyboards Homepage
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 08 May 2020, 19:55:50 »
Wow, this is such an interesting design.  Do you have an idea of how the clear windows would mount inside the case?

Offline GarrettSucks

• All project timelines at at timelines.omnitype.com
    • Omnitype
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 08 May 2020, 20:18:14 »
This idea is really cool. But I don’t think you should have argyle on the PCB. It really forces a distinct design style to the board that will clash with tons of keyset styles.

Offline DuellM

• Keyboard Fatty
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 08 May 2020, 20:45:42 »
So Many Awesome Keyboards coming out. Can't wait for this

Offline i luv chuletas

« Reply #23 on: Sat, 09 May 2020, 00:37:35 »
Wow, this looks amazing. A WKL version of this would be a must buy for me!

Offline Seoulcialite

• MechSeoul
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 09 May 2020, 02:07:54 »
This idea is really cool. But I don’t think you should have argyle on the PCB. It really forces a distinct design style to the board that will clash with tons of keyset styles.

That's a good point. I will add a question to the IC form to see how others feel about it.

Quirky but quite cool.  Could make a great gaming board.  Will there be any lighting on the sides?

Yes. This has been mentioned in the original post. In the PCB image I have posted, you can see 4 LEDs per side. These LEDs will be shooting up into a diffuser. The diffusers will be blocked on one side to prevent light bleed through the switch plate.

What's the intent with the I2C header?  If you rearranged the pins so it is GND 5v SCK SDA, one could install an OLED in that location as well.

Show Image

As I only commissioned the design, I do not know the intent of the I2C header.

An OLED would be a great idea. However, I'm afraid I would not want to add it currently. If there is a 2nd round, it would definitely be considered.

Would there be space to install a rotary encoder?

Rotary encoder will not be considered at this time and round.

« Last Edit: Sat, 09 May 2020, 04:03:27 by Seoulcialite »

Offline Seoulcialite

• MechSeoul
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 09 May 2020, 02:15:57 »
Wow, this is such an interesting design.  Do you have an idea of how the clear windows would mount inside the case?

This has been answered in a previous post:

There will be grooves to hold foam that will in turn hold up the panels. So, the panels are kind of gasket mounted? haha. Thought about putting gasket mount in the title but thought that would be too bait and switch. lol.

Odds on this is going to be out of the question for me finance wise, but this looks so freakin' good.

I live in hope of a cheap version of this premium version of the cheap through-holes :)

If you look closely at the PCB picture, there are 6 holes that can be used to screw into a back plate. So, it's a possibility it may be offered as a kit at a much later date.
« Last Edit: Tue, 12 May 2020, 12:28:21 by Seoulcialite »

Offline Kalibrrr

« Reply #26 on: Sat, 09 May 2020, 02:41:11 »
I'm in for this one for sure

Offline beekey

« Reply #27 on: Sat, 09 May 2020, 03:52:28 »
This is so nice. I love the look of nice electronic designs. I hope I can get one.

Are there other "good looking" electronic parts which could be added to the bottom corners, replacing the pattern? Copper coils (https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Copper-wire-wound-coil-for-PCB_904687178.html, no function, just for the looks?

Or how about (a) rotary encoder(s)? Saw the previous answer.
« Last Edit: Sat, 09 May 2020, 03:58:32 by beekey »

Offline L-Ron

« Reply #28 on: Sat, 09 May 2020, 04:08:27 »
I've been hoping for a premium through-hole board ever since I saw the Plaid. Love this, definitely in for one.

Offline equalunique

« Reply #29 on: Sat, 09 May 2020, 14:38:38 »
Fantastic concept.

I try to stay away from 60% unless there is a 1x5 macro column to the left, or a 2x5 macro column in the case of 65%. Something about not having G & H in the center bothers me.

Offline worldspawn

« Reply #30 on: Sat, 09 May 2020, 19:45:30 »

Show Image

As I only commissioned the design, I do not know the intent of the I2C header.

An OLED would be a great idea. However, I'm afraid I would not want to add it currently. If there is a 2nd round, it would definitely be considered.

I'm not suggesting you add the OLED, I'm suggesting you slightly change the pin arrangement so others can.
I can make acrylic laser cut cases/plates PM for info

Offline Shutter_Shock

« Reply #31 on: Sat, 09 May 2020, 20:46:54 »

+1.

Honestly, I end up never using 60%'s because I miss the arrow keys too much. If I have the cash to burn when the GB goes live, I'll definitely consider it. Or if there is a 65% version in the future, I'm in. Best of luck!!

Offline blizzara01

« Reply #32 on: Sat, 09 May 2020, 21:08:07 »
Isn't acrylic is easily to scratch? Glass would be better I think.

Offline Visionaire

« Reply #33 on: Sun, 10 May 2020, 15:49:50 »
Would love to have those side compartments lit up at night.

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #34 on: Sun, 10 May 2020, 15:51:36 »
this is very interesting!

Offline mongoose27

• WKL FTW
« Reply #35 on: Sun, 10 May 2020, 15:54:23 »
Very nice, I'm liking this.

Offline vewy_nice

« Reply #36 on: Sun, 10 May 2020, 16:33:48 »
Mmmm classic green pcb would be so spicy

Also would look good with some "useless" components in there. Like a few electrolytic capacitors or something... You know just cuz.

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #37 on: Sun, 10 May 2020, 16:50:00 »
Sweet concept, one of the cleanest in this genre I've seen :cool:

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!

Offline hownowbrowncow

« Reply #38 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 01:31:48 »
Just set aside money for this. +1 for glass windows

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #39 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 01:59:24 »
It looks cool, but what the heck are those chips on the left and the right?  I've never seen anything in a package like that on a modern keyboard.  Are they just for looks or are those actual processors?

Offline Seoulcialite

• MechSeoul
« Reply #40 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 03:14:51 »
Isn't acrylic is easily to scratch? Glass would be better I think.

To be determined. In any event, dimensions of the panels would be shared at a later date so that people may get acrylic or glass panels in different tint/color cut locally/online.

It looks cool, but what the heck are those chips on the left and the right?  I've never seen anything in a package like that on a modern keyboard.  Are they just for looks or are those actual processors?

This is a different take on the through-hole keyboards kits out there like the gingham, plaid, discipline, etc. All the components you see are functional. To my knowledge, the left chip handles the matrix and the right handles the LED lighting.

This is so nice. I love the look of nice electronic designs. I hope I can get one.

Are there other "good looking" electronic parts which could be added to the bottom corners, replacing the pattern? Copper coils (https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Copper-wire-wound-coil-for-PCB_904687178.html, no function, just for the looks?

I will not be adding anything that doesn't have a function to the board.
« Last Edit: Mon, 11 May 2020, 03:16:29 by Seoulcialite »

Offline paulgali

• SKME
« Reply #41 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 03:43:52 »
This is actually nuts. Love it!

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #42 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 06:11:30 »

This is a different take on the through-hole keyboards kits out there like the gingham, plaid, discipline, etc. All the components you see are functional. To my knowledge, the left chip handles the matrix and the right handles the LED lighting.

You are correct. Going off of Yiancar's previous designs, the left chip is an ATmega328 microcontroller (MCU), which does all of the keyboard work like matrix scanning, interpreting keycodes, communicating with the host, sending scancodes via USB etc. The right chip is an I/O port expander, which is used to allow the MCU to control the LED lighting since the MCU itself doesn't have enough GPIO pins (it has barely just enough for the key matrix).

Offline ephemeral25

« Reply #43 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 08:38:01 »
I am so IN.

Big fan of displaying smd components.

Offline hkiri

« Reply #44 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 08:46:37 »
Always have been a fan of those through hole kits and how they present the components on the top, but I never really liked the fact that they are missing a case.
This is definitely a must buy for me!

Offline Seoulcialite

• MechSeoul
« Reply #45 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 09:59:27 »

Prototype PCBs are in. But I'm still waiting for the components to arrive.

« Last Edit: Wed, 05 August 2020, 11:19:49 by Seoulcialite »

Offline kedayap

« Reply #46 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 10:59:14 »
Just take my money already.

Offline TEL_Venom

« Reply #47 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 11:13:39 »
Love this!

Offline valkyr1e

« Reply #48 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 11:20:02 »

Offline Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #49 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 11:35:52 »
Definitely a very interesting & great looking board! I'd be down for one for sure! I love the ideal of a premium board with the exposed diode look.