Author Topic: Ducky One 2 TKL Shift Wobble  (Read 3430 times)

Offline chinzw

Ducky One 2 TKL Shift Wobble
« on: Tue, 10 March 2020, 09:40:11 »
Just got this new keyboard, not sure if this is how this shift key should behave normally, coming from a logitech gpro which had no wobble on any of the 2u keys this seems odd.

Should i return it? Replace the stabs? Not sure how much work it is to replace stabs on this keyboard. Or just use it as it is?

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
Re: Ducky One 2 TKL Shift Wobble
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 10 March 2020, 10:07:53 »
Just got this new keyboard, not sure if this is how this shift key should behave normally, coming from a logitech gpro which had no wobble on any of the 2u keys this seems odd.

Should i return it? Replace the stabs? Not sure how much work it is to replace stabs on this keyboard. Or just use it as it is?

Pull the key and take some pictures of the bottom of the key and the stabs, then post em here. Could be able to see what's up.

Offline chinzw

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 10 March 2020, 10:35:49 »
Thanks for the quick reply, I've attached some pictures. I was just also trying something out when i put back the key, i pressed it in from the left side, and gently pushed the right side as to not bottom out the right stem into the key, it seems to be better now, although i'd like to be able to fully seat the stems into the key.

237557-0
237559-1
237561-2

Offline Tactile

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 10 March 2020, 15:31:15 »
This looks like the stabs maybe aren't synchronized. Might be the camera angle. Anyway, with the cap off grip one stab stem with a pair of tweezers or something similar. As you move the stab insert up & down, the other should match the movement. If that doesn't happen it's probably a problem with the wire unclipped or not properly seated in some manner. The catch is that with this kind of stabilizer the wire is on the bottom side, under the plate. Not the easiest to work on.

237593-0
REΛLFORCE

Offline chinzw

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 10 March 2020, 15:53:37 »
Should i be able to unclip the right stem housing from the plate and re-seat it?

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 11 March 2020, 18:39:59 »
From what i am seeing is that it isn't the stabs they look fine. The problem is that your key-caps have the banana effect. Those are double shot PBT. PBT key-caps tend not to be straight as ABS. Its probably the reason its not stable.

I am not sure though having a second review. really but maybe re seating the stabs would help. These are plate mount stabilizers.

Here is a video of how people remove plate mount stabilizers.

« Last Edit: Wed, 11 March 2020, 18:44:56 by Sup »
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline chinzw

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 12 March 2020, 16:54:10 »
Thanks for the replies. For now i'll just leave it as it is. I will lube the stabs and after this whole world craziness slows down ill look into getting some nice stabs.

Offline Riverman

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 12 March 2020, 17:23:54 »
You can't easily replace the stabilizers on a keyboard like that.  You'd have to unsolder every switch so you could separate the plate from the PCB, which is the only way to get the stabilizers out.  I really like PCB-mounted keyboards for reasons like this, but they're few and far between.

Offline chinzw

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 13 March 2020, 12:30:56 »
Actually, you don't need to de-solder every switch, just the ones blocking the stabilizer bars, 5 in total for a full replacement.

Offline subluxe

• サブラックス
    • https://subluxe.ca/
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 19 March 2020, 12:37:01 »
You can't easily replace the stabilizers on a keyboard like that.  You'd have to unsolder every switch so you could separate the plate from the PCB, which is the only way to get the stabilizers out.  I really like PCB-mounted keyboards for reasons like this, but they're few and far between.

It's a plate mount stab actually so just five switches. You can just pop it out.

Offline chanmin kang

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 20 March 2020, 20:06:02 »
Is it the same when you change the keycap?

When I had a similar problem in the past, I had this problem because the keycap was very slightly bent.

This may not be the cause, but ... check it out in case you don't know!

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 21 March 2020, 10:12:21 »

This isn't PCB mount  :blank:
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020