Author Topic: Spray painting keycaps, anybody did this?  (Read 19032 times)

Offline Neo.X

Spray painting keycaps, anybody did this?
« on: Fri, 05 October 2012, 08:16:42 »
Hi,

Thinking of spray painting the keycaps, did some search on Internet. It's pretty easy and the color can last long. But I do worry about the feeling when typing on the keycap.

Anyone have done this before? Any suggestion?

Thanks
All those keyboards will be lost in time....

Offline imersa

• clickclack's #1 fan
Re: Spray painting keycaps, anybody did this?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 05 October 2012, 08:42:29 »
had a friend paint some before and didn't seem to bother me typing on them... though i didn't use them for any long period of time

Offline rayuki

• RAAAAAAR
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 05 October 2012, 08:43:12 »
as far as im aware isn't this what NIQMODS do and there keys are awesome.

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 05 October 2012, 10:47:24 »
NIQMODS are auto paint though. Then they bake them to make the paint permanent. (I think)

Offline NikoGasm

• Platinum mad.
    • Twitch
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 05 October 2012, 11:36:51 »
I've actually been wanting to try this out for quite some time. I'm supposed to be going to Georgia to meet up with a fantastic auto painter; he's going to teach me a lot about painting and such. So I'll let you know how it works out for me. I will be using auto paint though.
| MX Mini | Ducky DK1087 | A87 |

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 05 October 2012, 16:15:23 »
NIQMODs do this, yeah. I just got two in the mail today. They are beautiful but scratch of really easily, I'm assuming any other paint would do the same.
I love Elzy

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 05 October 2012, 16:26:36 »
lol you actually tried to scratch yours off?

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 05 October 2012, 16:30:35 »
Nope, one of mine are a little bit chipped because of the wire puller. To make things worse they're really tight.
I love Elzy

Offline urbanus

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 06 October 2012, 08:27:46 »
Anyone have done this before? Any suggestion?

The constant wear along with the skin acids and oils that come from being touched all the time is a nightmare for paint.

I've never painted keycaps, but I painted the upper shell of a keyboard with model enamel.  After a couple of weeks, a spot where my hand regularly brushes against the keyboard started to wear off.  :(

I suggest that before you go all-in, try it on a small sample with keycaps you don't love very much. 

Offline ekw808

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Ekw
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 06 October 2012, 21:03:54 »
NIQMODS are auto paint though. Then they bake them to make the paint permanent. (I think)

Lol, I doubt he bakes them, he uses ABS plastic, and they would melt pretty easily, also considering how easily they chip and how cleanly they do, I'm almost 100% positive there is no baking process.
[One Keyboard at a time]

My Heatware Please comment, and I will do the same =D 

Offline Marclgw

• * Vendor
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 06 October 2012, 21:50:00 »
Not to worry, as long as when the wear and tear becomes no longer tolerable, feel free to email me sales@niqmods.com to inform me that you would like to do a re spray, the premium prices paid are all covered with a limited lifetime decolorization warranty.

We are aware of the removal of key that will scratch the corners of the key slightly, your warranty still covers =D

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 07 October 2012, 00:22:51 »
Really, if it scratches from removing the keycap its covered? I read somewhere a long time ago that it wasn't o.o but that's awesome!
« Last Edit: Sun, 07 October 2012, 00:25:17 by Sifo »
I love Elzy

Offline squarebox

• In Omnia Paratus
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 07 October 2012, 03:05:53 »
Remember to add hardener to the paint. Clear-coating helps as well.
Filco Yellow Edition  | Filco Brown | Filco 2 Brown TKL | G80-1950 | G80-3494 | G80-11900 | Leopold FC500R | Noppoo Choc Mini

Offline Marclgw

• * Vendor
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 07 October 2012, 03:42:03 »
Really, if it scratches from removing the keycap its covered? I read somewhere a long time ago that it wasn't o.o but that's awesome!

I've realised that the key is prone to getting scratched at the corners while removing .
However , if it is not because of purely just the small scratch that customer returns everytime they removes a key, we will definitely help to do a respray after wear and tear occurs.

=D

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 08 October 2012, 13:14:19 »
I've painted caps with Krylon Fusion flat white. It actually gave some ABS caps more of a PBT texture. My mouse and my wife's mouse are both painted similarly.

As far as scratching goes, if you take a sharp or otherwise thin-edged metal object (ie a keypuller with small diameter wires) to it, you can cause more of a smooth discoloration to the Fusion. If you dig hard you can scratch it.

You can always repaint should this type of accident happen.

And in regards to clear-coat with plastic spraypaint, you do NOT want to mix regular clearcoat over Fusion or Rusto's product. It causes tiny little bubbles. As far as I know there isn't a plastic specific clearcoat option from Krylon, Rusto, etc.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 08 October 2012, 13:49:03 »
Used some Fusion on my Minitouch modifiers/ case and it has held up fairly well except for the left shift... will probably end up sanding and rit dyeing them for longevities sake

Offline Neo.X

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 08 October 2012, 16:09:59 »
I've painted caps with Krylon Fusion flat white. It actually gave some ABS caps more of a PBT texture. My mouse and my wife's mouse are both painted similarly.

As far as scratching goes, if you take a sharp or otherwise thin-edged metal object (ie a keypuller with small diameter wires) to it, you can cause more of a smooth discoloration to the Fusion. If you dig hard you can scratch it.

You can always repaint should this type of accident happen.

And in regards to clear-coat with plastic spraypaint, you do NOT want to mix regular clearcoat over Fusion or Rusto's product. It causes tiny little bubbles. As far as I know there isn't a plastic specific clearcoat option from Krylon, Rusto, etc.

I just did the painting with Rusto's products. It looks really nice, well, at least for myself.  :) :)

It did took a lof of time, most time was spent on cleaning and sanding the keycap. The actually painting job only took couple minutes. I used metal silver, pure white and red, the silver one looks the best.

Well, it's fun and a good way to spent some boring afternoon. And it's better for me because order keycaps from WASD is taking really a long time shipping to Canada.

I will let the keyboard to dry for a week and start to use it. I hope the paint can stay long.  :)

« Last Edit: Mon, 08 October 2012, 16:53:35 by Neo.X »

Offline muguts

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 24 October 2012, 08:21:36 »
I've actually done this over the past week. I was planning to do some stenciling on some keys but it became too difficult a task.

I ended up spraypainting some extra keys I had using krylon flourescent pink and they appear to have turned out pretty well. It took about 8 coats in total to get good coverage, but I was using black keys. I let them dry for about 2 days after I was finished and they feel very nice, still not completely dry and could probably scratch some paint off with brute force but I think they have cured for the most part now. I used 220 grit sandpaper to scrape my keys up a bit. Surprisingly I wasn't able to scratch the letters off my CM storm keys with the sandpaper so kudos to cooler master.

I could probably save some paint if I'd used some primer or lighter keys. I think I may have found a new hobby though to say the least :D. Will post pics later.
CM Storm Quickfire w/ Blues | Thermaltake Meka G1 w/ Blacks[/size]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline muguts

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 24 October 2012, 09:13:07 »
They seem to look red under unnatural light. Maybe flourescent isn't the best paint to go with, just didnt see any other color pink I liked at the store. In the end I've decided for my original project just to write on my white keys with red sharpie, and go over it with clear nail polish :D

« Last Edit: Wed, 24 October 2012, 09:18:14 by muguts »
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline Neo.X

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 24 October 2012, 10:19:24 »
Thanks muguts. Nice work.

After couple weeks of using, the painted keys still look great, no worn or peal. The only downside is the painting makes the keys feel smooth, need some time to get used to it.

Offline muguts

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 24 October 2012, 10:45:30 »
post some pics :D

and thank you. this was my first painting experience. it was fun. i'll probably be doing some more in the future, but i'm also hoping to get some more cool group buys. choices choices
« Last Edit: Wed, 24 October 2012, 10:47:41 by muguts »
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline muguts

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 26 October 2012, 21:31:46 »
spraypainting my arrow keys at this moment with some rustoleum brand plastic bonding lime green... i have a feeling these wont turn out as well, will post pics
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline muguts

« Reply #22 on: Sat, 27 October 2012, 09:24:09 »

not dry yet, don't care
« Last Edit: Sat, 27 October 2012, 09:28:22 by muguts »
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline Neo.X

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 29 October 2012, 13:44:09 »
Really nice color pick. I didn't find this in store. You should do more keys with this color, gonna look very cute.

Offline muguts

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 31 October 2012, 09:04:13 »
yeah, the supermarkets dont have much selection, if i feel really froggy one day i'll go to home depot and shop for something really slick

also. between these two little projects, i found the krylon fusion special purpose took less time to fully dry and also gave the keys a nice texture similar to what the keys already felt like, although it did take more coats. the lime rusto still has not fully dried but the texture on the keys feel and look very shiny which is appealing to the eye but not the fingertips. maybe in time the rusto painted keys will feel nice but i doubt they'll become more durable (they'll easily scratch off if i tried, the krylon painted keys are much more durable)

anyway, enjoying doing this, hope more people join in
« Last Edit: Wed, 31 October 2012, 10:08:16 by muguts »
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline muguts

« Reply #25 on: Mon, 04 February 2013, 20:10:41 »
update, just finished letting these dry (white/pink)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]