Author Topic: Anyone Make Custom Apple Keycaps?  (Read 11323 times)

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
Anyone Make Custom Apple Keycaps?
« on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 11:35:36 »
Does anyone know of a company that can make replacement keycaps for the current Apple keyboards?

I know they aren't mechanical switches, but now that I've been customizing my KBT Pure I'm become drawn to the idea of replacing the keycaps on my 11" Macbook Air. All of Apple's keyboards, wether it's a desktop or a laptop, now use the same switch so it would seem that offering a laser etched replacement set might be interesting. For example, I'd love to have a CCnG set for my laptop.  :p

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
Re: Anyone Make Custom Apple Keycaps?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 31 January 2013, 21:16:14 »
There are AFAIK only skins for macbook/aluminium keyboards. It solves the worst issue with the keycaps: dirt. We have Apple Aluminium keyboards in one computer lab at school, and they're disgusting. Otherwise, laser-etching looks decent, and the surface surprisingly doesn't become shiny over time, even though it's ABS.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 31 January 2013, 21:22:55 »
No customs that I know of but you CAN buy other keyboards and swap keys if you want a different color. Pretty much limited to white or black though.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 31 January 2013, 21:56:11 »
Way overpriced, but Colorware paints the Bluetooth keyboard.
http://www.colorware.com/p-201-apple-wireless-keyboard.aspx

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 01 February 2013, 04:15:59 »
I have seen a couple of places that do sticker sets for the keycaps.  Not really replacement keycaps, but at least they might protect the ones that are there.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 01 February 2013, 07:22:55 »
Way overpriced, but Colorware paints the Bluetooth keyboard.
http://www.colorware.com/p-201-apple-wireless-keyboard.aspx

Totally forgot about Colorware. However, it looks like they only do one solid color for both the board and the caps. So for CCnG, it'd be $400 for two keyboards. LOL!  :p

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 01 February 2013, 07:30:51 »
Could always ask them if they will help you out by allowing different colors, but still even $200 for one of those boards is outrageous.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 01 February 2013, 07:36:50 »
Could always ask them if they will help you out by allowing different colors, but still even $200 for one of those boards is outrageous.

Colorware is expensive on everything they do. The board alone is $70, so you're paying $130 for the paint job. As far as paint goes, I don't think it gets any nicer, but yeah, that's a ton of money for paint.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 01 February 2013, 08:21:05 »
I clearly don't want to work this morning, so I did some hatchet work in Photoshop to mock up a few popular sets just to see what things would look like.  :p

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 01 February 2013, 08:22:58 »
I clearly don't want to work this morning, so I did some hatchet work in Photoshop to mock up a few popular sets just to see what things would look like.  :p

Those look great!! Now I want one :P
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines."

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 01 February 2013, 14:13:13 »
tilde should be the same as the other alphanums
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 01 February 2013, 15:57:56 »
tilde should be the same as the other alphanums

Yeah, it was a bit of a deviation. I like the wrap around color more and since to have this made would cost $400 and two Apple BT keyboards (3 if you want the base to be aluminum) I figured you could flip it around any way you like. :-)