Author Topic: Backlit Keycaps - Difference?  (Read 10764 times)

Offline Rolla

Backlit Keycaps - Difference?
« on: Mon, 04 February 2013, 10:02:49 »
So i am considering changing in my current Meka TTesports keyboard for a smaller model, looking at the 87 or 84 keycool models (thoughts?)

But my main question is with backlit keyboards. I am wanting to customise the keycaps with a new set of keycaps. Is it possible to buy the keycaps that will allow the LED to shine through the letter? If not does the LED still show on 'block' keycaps.

I am basically concerned that buying a LED backlit keyboard will be a waste if i cannot get the keycaps that i want.

Thanks!

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
Re: Backlit Keycaps - Difference?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 04 February 2013, 10:27:53 »
Backlighting can be a nice touch to your keyboard even if you don't have key caps designed for it.

Below is a picture of my KBT Pure with CCnG key caps.

KBT Pure with CCnG - Backlighting On by Michael Ashby, on Flickr

Because the Signature Plastics design have thin sidewalls, the LEDs will shine through a bit on the side. This doesn't happen with thicker sidewalls, or with the key caps that came with the board.

Cherry MX Blue Switch by Michael Ashby, on Flickr

As I understand it, the base of the key cap is translucent and then painted black. The etching process removes some of the paint and thus allows light to shine through. If you don't buy caps that have a translucent base and are etched like this, then light will not shine through the key cap to illuminate the legend.

It's a personal preference, but I prefer the glow around the key cap more than the illuminated legends. So I'm in the process of looking for some PBT key caps to replace the default ones. These will be solid key caps and thus not illuminated through the key cap.

Hope that helps!

Offline Rolla

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 04 February 2013, 10:50:37 »
Wow that's a really nice keyboard! love the colours! Might well be my irish heritage but w/e :)

This has laid my fears to rest and i think ill be going with it.

As a side note, any opinion on the 84 or 87 or keycool keyboard in general?

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 04 February 2013, 11:05:31 »
Wow that's a really nice keyboard! love the colours! Might well be my irish heritage but w/e :)

This has laid my fears to rest and i think ill be going with it.

As a side note, any opinion on the 84 or 87 or keycool keyboard in general?

I don't have any personal experience with that board, but there are some threads that you might find helpful at this link.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 04 February 2013, 12:15:13 »
If you plan on changing keycaps on a regular basis I would go with the 87 as it has a standard layout in regard to getting aftermarket sets easier. For backlight specific caps there are not a lot of options. Ducky has a few, sometimes you can find some from KBC, and standard replacement set for Mionix Zibal are available. There are also some sets out with the reverse, clear caps and opaque pad printed legends.
« Last Edit: Mon, 04 February 2013, 12:16:57 by lysol »

Offline regack

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 04 February 2013, 13:23:00 »

Show Image

Cherry MX Blue Switch by Michael Ashby, on Flickr

As I understand it, the base of the key cap is translucent and then painted black. The etching process removes some of the paint and thus allows light to shine through. If you don't buy caps that have a translucent base and are etched like this, then light will not shine through the key cap to illuminate the legend. It's a personal preference, but I prefer the glow around the key cap more than the illuminated legends. So I'm in the process of looking for some PBT key caps to replace the default ones. These will be solid key caps and thus not illuminated through the key cap.

Oh, I like that, is that a backlit Pure?  Mine isn't backlit, but I've got some LEDs on order to add the backlighting to it.  I did a quick test, and it works... but the keycaps on mine don't let any light through.  I've been digging around trying to find a set for it, but no luck so far...

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 04 February 2013, 13:39:20 »
Oh, I like that, is that a backlit Pure?  Mine isn't backlit, but I've got some LEDs on order to add the backlighting to it.  I did a quick test, and it works... but the keycaps on mine don't let any light through.  I've been digging around trying to find a set for it, but no luck so far...

Yes, it's a backlit KBT Pure CNC edition.

I think MechanicalKeyboards.com has some Ducky sets that might work. Cherry MX keycaps. It looks like they have a purple and a grey that might work.

Offline regack

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 04 February 2013, 14:10:49 »

Yes, it's a backlit KBT Pure CNC edition.

I think MechanicalKeyboards.com has some Ducky sets that might work. Cherry MX keycaps. It looks like they have a purple and a grey that might work.

Thanks.  Only problem with the Ducky sets is that the position of the character is over the 'top' of the switch and the LED is also mounted there... Basically the switch/LED is rotated 180 from the Pure.  Those sets would work great on my Race though... if not for the top row keycaps that don't fit any normal profile :D

Offline quake4mhg

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 00:44:02 »
You have lota choices, don't worry :)
KBC white PBT

Vortex white thick pbt dyesub & WASD samples