Author Topic: RGB Keys for Noppoo Choc Mini  (Read 5020 times)

Offline paradox

RGB Keys for Noppoo Choc Mini
« on: Mon, 04 February 2013, 22:12:41 »
Hey all,

I tried to search the forum for some assistance on this but I can't exactly find what I'm looking for.  Maybe I missed it.

I'm considering purchasing this RGB set from WASD: http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/rgb-modifier-set.html

I'm not sure what if it'll fit on a Noppoo Choc Mini.  I also know the Mini's right shift key is a bit peculiar.  Does anyone know what exact measurement I should be looking for in terms of modifier keys?  1x1.25, 1x1.50 etc.

Thanks

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
Re: RGB Keys for Noppoo Choc Mini
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 04 February 2013, 22:24:25 »
No, only 1 key from that set would fit a Choc properly. Modifiers are 1.5 and 1 unit, and shifts are 2.25 and 1.75.
GMK RGB set available from originative with 1.5 version would get you much closer.
I know it's not the same, but we will be having a groupbuy for GMK key CMYK sets which are Cherry profile just like the Choc keycap, and it will have all the key sizes you would need.
« Last Edit: Mon, 04 February 2013, 22:28:04 by lysol »

Offline paradox

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 00:03:18 »
Ok I did some research on this for myself and I think I figured out what I need.  Correct me if I'm wrong.

Left Shift - 1x2.25
Right Shift - 1x1.75
Ctrl (both) - 1x1.25
Left Alt - 1x1.25
Right Alt - 1x1

This puts me in an odd situation because I can purchase the standard RGB set for 9.99 but then I'd have to get custom right shifts and alts at 7.00 each.  30.00$ for six keys is awfully expensive (eight if you include the two I won't be using).  What do you guys think?

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 00:26:19 »
This is why the Choc Mini is not worth it for most of us.  Non-standard key sizes suck. :-/

Offline calavera

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 00:37:20 »

For that price I would definitely go with these. I bought a set myself but haven't received them yet

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=39781.0

You won't find a keycap for the FN key but everything else will fit. The yellow cherry logo key cap might but not sure if they're the same height.
Plus you're getting two dye sub sets for a little more than what you got quoted there.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 09:27:45 »
^ that is a good option. If you can find out the correct shade of blue you could order 1x blank pbt to match from SP for the alt too if you wished.

Offline leesofi

• super lurking
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 11:33:03 »
Noppoo choc need more custom spacebar than rgb.
... lol spacebar unit..

Bro Caps AI:MKII prototype Alu BroBot V2 MX
Clack Factory ICE Test-Sample #J11TG-s5A

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 12:11:13 »
Ok I did some research on this for myself and I think I figured out what I need.  Correct me if I'm wrong.

Left Shift - 1x2.25
Right Shift - 1x1.75
Ctrl (both) - 1x1.25
Left Alt - 1x1.25
Right Alt - 1x1

This puts me in an odd situation because I can purchase the standard RGB set for 9.99 but then I'd have to get custom right shifts and alts at 7.00 each.  30.00$ for six keys is awfully expensive (eight if you include the two I won't be using).  What do you guys think?

Hmm.  I have a new Choco Mini in front of me.  It is NOT as weird as shown above.

Ctrl_L: 1.25x
Win_L: 1.25x
Alt_L: 1.25x
Space Bar: 5.5x (Weird)
Alt_R: 1.25x
Fn: 1.25x
Ctrl_R: 1.25x
Left, Down, Right Arrows: 1x each

Shilt_L: 2.25x (Normal)
Z-?: 1x (Normal)
Shift_R: 1.75x (ISO?)
Up Arrow: 1x
End: 1x

So really the only weird keys on the current Choco Mini are the Space bar and the Shift_R key, which isn't really that weird.

FWIW,

- Ron | samwisekoi

p.s.  For the GH75/eRace, I changed Alt_R, Fn, & Ctrl_R to 1x, which allowed the use of the normal 6.25x universal spacebar.  See the GH60++ thread for details.
« Last Edit: Tue, 05 February 2013, 12:19:55 by samwisekoi »
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 12:59:26 »
I swore Choc had 1.5 modifiers, did it change on more recent version or something?

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 13:01:32 »
Mine is the same as sam's.  Only "unreplaceable"  key is the weird space bar.  I believe right-shift is ISO.

I bought the Choc mini with the understanding that replacing the key caps was not practical.  In fact, it was the nice POM caps that sealed the deal.  The layout has several advantages over the Race, which is what attracted me in the first place.
« Last Edit: Tue, 05 February 2013, 13:04:46 by rknize »
Russ

Offline paradox

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 15:57:53 »
I swore Choc had 1.5 modifiers, did it change on more recent version or something?

D'oh!  I think you are correct the Ctrl keys and Left Alt key may very well be 1.5s.  How out of place will 1.25s look like in their place?