Author Topic: Looking for TV Geek advice - WTB 50 inch best quality for the money  (Read 1775 times)

Offline BucklingSpring

As the subject says - I'm in for a 50ish TV

I want great picture quality at any resolution.
(some cheap HD TVs are making very bad DVD rendering. I don't want that since I still play a lot of DVDs)

LG, SONY, Samsung, Toshiba, name it

Plasma prices are ridiculously low - Just make sure the image is not too dark.
120hz LCD's is fine by me... I'm afraid the 240hz will just have half the life - Am I right?

Shoot your proposal and back it up with reviews or personal experience.

THANKS!
In memory of smallfry 1996-2013
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline BucklingSpring

Re: Looking for TV Geek advice - WTB 50 inch best quality for the money
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 22 February 2013, 20:01:33 »
Any experience with the  Panasonic VIERA 55" 1080p 600Hz 3D Plasma Smart TV (TCP55UT50)?
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 22 February 2013, 23:22:11 »
I have had no issues at all with my Sony Bravia that I've had for around 4 years now. My dad has one of the newer ones and that has worked well also.

I can't really compare it to any other TVs, but I can at least say you wouldn't be disappointed with one.

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 23 February 2013, 08:20:37 »
I am not too knowledge-able but this is the cheapest (decent) 51" TV i could find and I bought it 8 months ago; well the 3D version and its awesome!
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-PS51E450-51-inch-Widescreen-Freeview/dp/B007BMUDHA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1361629139&sr=8-1 (Non-3D)
www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-PS51E490-51-inch-Widescreen-Freeview/dp/B007G8TKN2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1361629139&sr=8-2 (3D)
« Last Edit: Sat, 23 February 2013, 11:17:49 by Tym »
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 23 February 2013, 09:54:05 »
I bought a new TV ten months ago. I think that Phillips and Sony got top marks for picture quality in tests. Samsung TVs were the best for the money. If you want good sound, you need a separate sound system because the built-in speakers are always sub-par.
I got a Phillips because the built-in speakers were not crap, even though they were much worse than in the CRT I had before and I did not want to need an extra remote. The colours were all over the place in every preset I tried but setting each level to 50% made it look good and I am now very happy with the picture quality.
Personally I can not stand a low-frame rate picture, but don't get a lots-of-Hz TVs if you dislliked the look of the first The Hobbit-movie in "high frame rate".
Built-in card slot for cable decoder is a must.
Do try the remote and menus in the store before you buy. Some TVs have menus that are difficult to navigate.
You could test a TV in a store and then buy it cheaper on-line. ;)

Offline Malphas

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 23 February 2013, 11:16:59 »
Panasonic are about the best since Pioneer left the business. Samsung and LG are cheaper but still decent enough.

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 23 February 2013, 20:25:57 »
Panasonic are about the best since Pioneer left the business. Samsung and LG are cheaper but still decent enough.

Panasonic for their plasmas?
I also heard good things about the Samsungs.

Thank you all for your replies...

Boards I own, click ->
More

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 25 February 2013, 17:16:07 »
My dad got a Samsung recently and it has a very nice PLS panel which is somewhat similar to IPS so it has great colors and a very wide viewing angle. I can't remember the exact model though it was more like a 60something size and SMART version with a Samsung tablet of some kind running android as the remote. It's very fancy lol.
There is basically same version of it without the extra fancy features. I would defineatly reccomend the Samsung PLS stuff to anyone after seeing them.
« Last Edit: Mon, 25 February 2013, 17:21:40 by IvanIvanovich »

Offline h2gofast

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 06 March 2013, 19:01:45 »
I've had a Panasonic Plasma for three years now and it's still going strong. 

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 06 March 2013, 20:47:51 »
^ I went for a Viera 55 inch UT50.

My only complaint so far.... They didn't put the browser in the smart features. (Just to make sure we buy the more expensive model)
Boards I own, click ->
More

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 06 March 2013, 21:31:40 »
Hands down , Samsung for TVs are great imo. The slim led versions are really nice and picture quality is a+
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines."

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline Atakp

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 06 March 2013, 21:40:44 »
I bought a 40" Samsung ultra slim led 3D smart TV for my bedroom a few months ago at a really good price. I'm really happy with the picture quality and I didn't think I'd like the 3D but its kind of neat once in a while.