Author Topic: How about a non-staggered standard TKL keyboard?  (Read 12338 times)

Offline dusan

How about a non-staggered standard TKL keyboard?
« on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 09:40:25 »
This new thread should be taken as the continuation of  http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=49702.30.

I agree with the OP of that thread. Standard layout is the most popular layout. Non-staggered layout is better than staggered layout. Why not combine them? I mean, to combine the best points of them.

I've just refined the proposal of the OP into a TKL keyboard (attached image).

There are opinions that strictly (or almost) flat matrix layout may lead to unnatural/uncomfortable postures, such as bent wrists (due to the change of slope of columns) and cross hands (due to zero hand separation) but these opinions are non-issues since they're all based on the assumption that in order to adapt the change in key columns' slope, people must change the hands' angle. This is not true.

What people actually change is not the angle of hands, but the direction of fingers when they move off or return to their home position.

In a strictly matrix (grid) layout, there are hard points: Z and left Shift for the left pinky, and symmetrically / and right Shift for the right pinky.

This (real) issue is often addressed by

-- completely omitting the hard points (which is a big waste of place),

-- keeping the entire Shift key row 0.5u staggered (which looks pretty ugly and ad-hoc), or

-- shifting the Z and left Shift key to the left by 0.5u, and symmetrically the slash and right Shift key to the right by 0.5u. This solution, due to microTron (uTron) keyboard, is the cleanest one.

Note that it's the physical layout that matters. It is assumed that at least the leftmost two columns, the rightmost two columns and the bottom row is fully programmable.

What do you think about it? What I should add to have good chance in an eventual  interest check and subsequent group buy?
Topre Type Heaven | Filco Majestouch w/MX blue | CM Storm QF w/MX green | Asus Echelon w/MX black | Razer Tournament 2014 w/Razer green, Keychron K1 w/Gateron LP red | TypeMatrix 2030 | custom 6x16 ortho w/Matias clicky | Atreus w/Kailh box white & Gateron Pro yellow.

Offline ksm123

Re: How about a non-staggered standard TKL keyboard?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 13:53:11 »
I do not think that this layout is such a good idea.
If you are not doing staggered columns, then staggered rows is not that bad design, at least its right part.
What I would consider in custom, portable board, is "mirrored" staggered rows layout.
Unfortunately I have neither talent nor time to draw this board right now.

Left part should mirror staggering of right part, two "halves" of this layout would be joined by adjacent 5 and 6 keys. there would be some space in place where "T" is on standard QWERTY boards, and "T" would be shifted to the left. In home row and "Shifts row" there would be accordingly one and two additional keys.
Alphanumeric part would be wider than current standard, but it should be more comfortable. I would treat it as "travel board" for people used to staggered column custom boards.

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 14:51:31 »
I think its a pretty good idea. During my somewhat limited travels in the ergo world, I've not seen this idea on a good quality board. There are some kids keyboards that come close - one by 'new keyboard', I think.

If you can rearrange it to minimise the non standard key caps, you might have more interest.

Personally, I'd drop the embedded num pad for embedded cursor keys, shifted num row, that sort of thing, although I appreciate that you might have other considerations.

Good luck!

Not to say I nesc disagree with ksm123, I think he's right, but there may well be a place for this layout, why don't we explore?
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 October 2014, 14:59:04 by hoggy »
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 17:44:25 »
Wrist killer with the "standard" touch-typing technique. The alphanumeric section *must* be split.

Non-standard typing technique? What's the point then? A major advantage of a symmetrical layout is elimination of inconsistent lateral movements across the board, but then you'd force people to learn a new, fully custom typing style.

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 17 October 2014, 01:31:03 »
I was thinking about people with smaller hands. To be fair, the only reason why I would buy such a keyboard would be for the novelty factor.  Splitting it into two would make a massive improvement in ergonomics.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 17 October 2014, 01:43:26 »
There are already some matrix keyboards for kids; the grid apparently makes hunting for keys easier. A touch typist with the classic technique would have to have ~30 cm wide shoulders at most to keep wrist straight though, which is bizarre.

Offline yasuo

• spanengan puyeng newbie
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 17 October 2014, 01:48:18 »
it is better to sym sgg

I think its a pretty good idea. During my somewhat limited travels in the ergo world, I've not seen this idea on a good quality board. There are some kids keyboards that come close - one by 'new keyboard', I think.

If you can rearrange it to minimise the non standard key caps, you might have more interest.

Personally, I'd drop the embedded num pad for embedded cursor keys, shifted num row, that sort of thing, although I appreciate that you might have other considerations.

Good luck!

Not to say I nesc disagree with ksm123, I think he's right, but there may well be a place for this layout, why don't we explore?
hoggy matrix enthusiast i think :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: Fri, 17 October 2014, 02:25:47 by yasuo »
Logitech MK220 Colemak DH
SplitSyml by Moz BlacksMx fuk blacks

2/3 8.5pm                                          in de la my september month ya da all get my fukka "fake message"

Offline Polymer

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 17 October 2014, 02:10:52 »
If you want this why not just get an ergodox?  The non-staggered makes sense when your hands are angled properly....if I want niche board, that's the one I'd go for..

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 17 October 2014, 02:19:08 »
Personally I think it sounds unpleasant. Without any direct experience, my guess is that it will be slightly but not dramatically worse than a standard keyboard; basically you keep all the disadvantages of the standard keyboard, and in addition you get something non-standard.

Personally I find the Ergodox is too close to a straight matrix board; it should have more stagger between columns.

Offline dusan

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 17 October 2014, 22:06:57 »
Thank you.

Would you please elaborate? Which keys has non-standard keycap? The Shifts key are 2u wide. The others are 1.5u or 1u.

I've planed to embed cursor keys, I mean a rich cluster of navigation and correction keys, and possibly some multimedia keys if there's interest. (Personally, I don't use multimedia keys.) But the embedded numpads are my top priority and can't be dropped. Furthermore, the numpads must be exactly as shown in the Figure with respect to both size and shape, so unfortunately, shifted numeric/punctuation row is highly unlikely. And so are other promisingly good layouts such as symmetrically row- or columnar- staggered. I would buy some Ergodox or uTron for myself, but won't propose or initiate a community interest check with something like them.

I'm an enterprise IT executive. In the recent years we conducted a number of formal studies on how our users use, what they think about and what they wish from company's keyboards. And, here's the points of the wish list (as in school, #1 is the most critical one):

1. Shorter keyboard;

2. Numeric pads under both hands. This is related to users' occupations and tasks, not handedness. As for the numeric pads, there shall be no dramatic topology or geometry changes against standard (such as zero key under index finger, or small zero key). Many users judge non-matrix layouts dramatic;

3. Full navigation and correction cluster (plus any necessary modifier keys) under both hands;

4. Improved slope for the left hand, without dramatic topology changes against standard, such as Dvorak layout or putting Shift keys under thumb; and

5. With high-quality, highly tactile switches, but as cheap as a typical mechanical TKL keyboard.

The TypeMatrix 2030 keyboard appears to be the closest to the above wishlist, with respect to the numpads. Unfortunately, most our users who have actually tested it found the small zero key a big problem. This is consistent with the result of another internal study that for most users, the numpad's zero key is one of the most frequently used keys, like the space bar.

That's what governs my work.

Good luck!

That's exactly what I think. Thanks again.

« Last Edit: Fri, 17 October 2014, 22:21:24 by dusan »
Topre Type Heaven | Filco Majestouch w/MX blue | CM Storm QF w/MX green | Asus Echelon w/MX black | Razer Tournament 2014 w/Razer green, Keychron K1 w/Gateron LP red | TypeMatrix 2030 | custom 6x16 ortho w/Matias clicky | Atreus w/Kailh box white & Gateron Pro yellow.

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 13:22:07 »
Have you seen the yogitype keyboard?  The right side keeps the staggered layout, but the left has a matrix.  If you used that approach then you could keep the small width and have a more comfortable layout. 

I'd say you might want to consider having two numpads per user, that way the use can arrange their desk according to how they are using their computer at the time.

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 15:54:22 »
Also, you might want to take a look a the posturite mini arch keyboard with a pull out number pad.

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 16:05:32 »
The penny has finally dropped, you want to go the matrix route because the embedded numpad is very important, and having a matrix numpad is better than a staggered one?

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 21:01:03 »
I think it's a good idea but I think it would be better if we line it up based on typing technique:

So it would be something like:

1  2  3  4  5
Q W E  R  T
A S  D F  G
Z X  C V  B

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 19 October 2014, 00:33:58 »
having a matrix numpad is better than a staggered one?
It’s really not. The ideal one-handed numpad shape (assuming you always use the same hand for it) is pretty similar to half the ideal split keyboard shape.

For a keyboard where each hand is on one flat PCB/plate, I recommend something like this:

(Actually I recommend arranging the numbers in two rows of five, so that low numbers (0–4) are on the "home row", starting with 0 on the thumb up through 4 on the pinky, and then 5–9 are on the next easiest to press key for each finger; probably the row below.... but that’s a bit more radical compared to a standard numpad, so the one proposed above should be a bit easier to learn for someone with prior numpad experience.)
« Last Edit: Sun, 19 October 2014, 00:40:58 by jacobolus »

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 19 October 2014, 01:04:57 »
Now that looks a better!

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 19 October 2014, 02:24:49 »

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 19 October 2014, 02:41:18 »
Symmetric stagger, let's bring the idea back. Bepiphany where you go.....

Offline yasuo

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 19 October 2014, 03:36:01 »
;D

2/3 8.5pm                                          in de la my september month ya da all get my fukka "fake message"

Offline dusan

« Reply #19 on: Sun, 19 October 2014, 03:39:33 »
Have you seen the yogitype keyboard?  The right side keeps the staggered layout, but the left has a matrix.  If you used that approach then you could keep the small width and have a more comfortable layout. 

No, I haven't seen it. Thank you for reference. I still don't get how could I apply its approach as from pictures, it looks like a 3D keyboard. And from what you said, it is asymmetrical and thus less convincing for many users (although I admit it may be more efficient).

I'd say you might want to consider having two numpads per user, that way the use can arrange their desk according to how they are using their computer at the time.

Do you mean additional dedicated numpads? The total size could be bigger than a standard full size keyboard then.

The penny has finally dropped, you want to go the matrix route because the embedded numpad is very important, and having a matrix numpad is better than a staggered one?

Yes, I think the embedded numpad is important. No, I don't think matrix is the best arrangement for the numpad and, generally, I don't think matrix is optimal for the alphanumeric array.  And no, I don't follow the matrix road for that reason.

In general, I think matrix is the arrangement that has the best chance to be widely accepted because matrix layouts are sought more often than other layouts. Many peoples around me have seen it "in action", e.g. as POS keyboards in supermarkets. Some may even have had opportunity to try it, e.g. with my TypeMatrix 2030. I, myself, have used it for a few years and I know surely it works. I know it is much better for the left hand and it is *not* worse for the right hand, provided that the issue with the corner keys under pinkies (Z/=\ and Shifts) is resolved. Although I have little evidences to predict users' acceptance, I think matrix is the right balance between tradition and, well, innovation.

In particular, embedded numpad is not new. Many laptop and TKL keyboards have it embedded. But I know nobody uses it, I know why, and I with the present proposal I fix it.

Also, you might want to take a look a the posturite mini arch keyboard with a pull out number pad.

I'll do. Thank you very much.

I think it's a good idea but I think it would be better if we line it up based on typing technique:

Show Image

So it would be something like:

1  2  3  4  5
Q W E  R  T
A S  D F  G
Z X  C V  B

Do you mean to place the entire right-hand numpad so that 5 is placed at K instead of J, i.e. under middle finger (like jacobolus's arrangement), and similarly for the left-hand numpad? Surely, it sounds very reasonable, because a user would be then able to touch-type numbers without moving the hand off the usual home position (of the typing mode).

However, there are two potential problems: the position of the zero key and the position of the "tactile dots" (I'm sorry for my English), i.e. the dots on keycaps that touch-typists use as anchor points. For the alpha numeric array, the dot is placed at J (and F), for the tenkey of a standard keyboard, it is placed at 5. So, when 5 is placed at K, the usual look and feel are no longer preserved.

Besides the version 5 = J (my version) I've sketched a version with 5 = K (yours and jacobolus's) and asked peoples which one they're willing to use. They saw no problems with 5=J (even if they're aware they have to reset the home position every time they touch-type a number).  But with 5=K, they're unsure  until they have tested it.

So, I've selected 5=J for better certainty.

having a matrix numpad is better than a staggered one?
It’s really not. The ideal one-handed numpad shape (assuming you always use the same hand for it) is pretty similar to half the ideal split keyboard shape.

For a keyboard where each hand is on one flat PCB/plate, I recommend something like this:
Show Image

(Actually I recommend arranging the numbers in two rows of five, so that low numbers (0–4) are on the "home row", starting with 0 on the thumb up through 4 on the pinky, and then 5–9 are on the next easiest to press key for each finger; probably the row below.... but that’s a bit more radical compared to a standard numpad, so the one proposed above should be a bit easier to learn for someone with prior numpad experience.)

Yes, both your layouts sound more reasonable than mine. I'll certainly try them all should the keyboard is implemented with programmable function layer(s). For the reasons said above, however, I don't think they can improve my chance at this time.
« Last Edit: Sun, 19 October 2014, 03:48:15 by dusan »

Offline yasuo

« Reply #20 on: Sun, 19 October 2014, 04:03:03 »

or like this :rolleyes:

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 19 October 2014, 04:39:41 »
I forgotten the ergodiver! (If anyone has one for sale...)

Edit:I wonder if we could persuade Gon to make something like it.

Offline yasuo

« Reply #22 on: Sun, 19 October 2014, 04:55:19 »
is left hand movement different with right hand?
left sym sgg - right matrix
« Last Edit: Sun, 19 October 2014, 05:09:09 by yasuo »

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
« Reply #23 on: Sun, 19 October 2014, 05:22:36 »
I wonder if it was to make room for the left most column.  I would have expected them to go with left matrix, right stagger...  I suppose having the split not actually at the centre of the keyboard would have made less pleasing.

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
« Reply #24 on: Sun, 19 October 2014, 12:02:27 »
Dusan,
I think you might find this page interesting
http://xahlee.info/kbd/fancy_keyboards.html

Offline yasuo

« Reply #25 on: Sun, 19 October 2014, 12:04:46 »
yup the esrille are very nice idk material that's case :)

Offline dusan

« Reply #26 on: Fri, 14 November 2014, 09:35:35 »
Attached image is a direct comparison between the staggered layout and non-staggered alternatives.

This image explains some facts about staggered v. non-staggered layouts w.r.t. typing:

1. Non-staggered layouts do not destroy existing skills from the staggered layout. A touch-typist can switch back to the staggered layout any time, at fully or nearly original typing speed and accuracy.

2. Non-staggered layouts improve the speed and accuracy of touch-typing.

3. Matrix layouts make hunt-and-peck (in particular, one-hand) typing easier, i.e. faster and more accurate.

This image also predicts some facts about the present proposal, which is an almost matrix layout:

4. The proposed layout can slightly improve the speed of touch-typing, compared to the strictly matrix layout.

5. The proposed layout can slightly improve the time of initial adaptation from the staggered layout, as well as the time to recover the full speed and accuracy when a touch-typist switches forth and back to the staggered layout, compared to the strictly matrix layout and the symmetrically staggered layout.
« Last Edit: Fri, 14 November 2014, 09:38:30 by dusan »

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 14 November 2014, 11:24:40 »

+1000

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #28 on: Fri, 14 November 2014, 11:35:51 »
Attached image is a direct comparison between the staggered layout and non-staggered alternatives.
This diagram is too busy and really hard for me to read, btw.

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #29 on: Fri, 14 November 2014, 16:58:20 »

+1000

at least someone noticed this :P maybe i should provide a link so people know why this relates to this thread
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=19613.0 <<<< !

If I ever get around to making a new "Phantom" (or any other regular layout PCB) I will include optional switch locations to support the different symmetric layouts I've concocted.

bpiphany you tease

Offline RominRonin

• * Maker
« Reply #30 on: Thu, 14 January 2016, 11:30:22 »

I came across this thread via Google. I had an idea that I've had in mind for years, but only recently had the conviction to build. I call it the Katana, and I hadn't heard of the microtron until after I built it:

http://imgur.com/a/Wpy9j

Since building this prototype I've been researching for an updated design, but I'm suffering a little analysis paralysis: I've never used boards like the ergodox, the kinesis advantage, the TECK and other proposals for an improved ergo design, so I can't say for sure which changes I should include.

To be honest the design I have right now is really comfortable (though I ONLY use it with wrist pads), and if I went with what I feel I'm missing I'd add a couple more thumb keys and some layer locking keys - I already have temporary function layer modifiers

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #31 on: Thu, 14 January 2016, 11:41:51 »

+1000

at least someone noticed this :P maybe i should provide a link so people know why this relates to this thread
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=19613.0 <<<< !

If I ever get around to making a new "Phantom" (or any other regular layout PCB) I will include optional switch locations to support the different symmetric layouts I've concocted.

bpiphany you tease

For anyone who didn't notice: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78059
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
« Reply #32 on: Thu, 14 January 2016, 16:23:06 »

I came across this thread via Google. I had an idea that I've had in mind for years, but only recently had the conviction to build. I call it the Katana, and I hadn't heard of the microtron until after I built it:

http://imgur.com/a/Wpy9j

Since building this prototype I've been researching for an updated design, but I'm suffering a little analysis paralysis: I've never used boards like the ergodox, the kinesis advantage, the TECK and other proposals for an improved ergo design, so I can't say for sure which changes I should include.

To be honest the design I have right now is really comfortable (though I ONLY use it with wrist pads), and if I went with what I feel I'm missing I'd add a couple more thumb keys and some layer locking keys - I already have temporary function layer modifiers
Looks good!

Offline dusan

« Reply #33 on: Sat, 18 April 2020, 17:36:34 »
Wrist killer with the "standard" touch-typing technique. The alphanumeric section *must* be split.

Thank you very much for pointing out it. This is indeed the biggest issue of my original design. And I spent > 5 years of experiments to come up with a workable solution.

240177-0" alt="" class="bbc_img" />

So, what's new?

-- The Shift keys are now moved to home row.

-- An additional blank column is now added between the left- and right-hand halves.

The additional blank column is necessary to correct the position of thumbs. Without it, left and right thumb would fall under V key and M key, respectively. With it, under VB and NM.

This new layout fits in every 5x15 boxes and may serve as the "core" for bigger layout, such as 6x15 with a function key row, TKL or full-size layout. In case of extension into TKL/full format, it makes sense to consider the following modification:

-- Remove ESC from the "core".
-- Remove Num lock from the "core".
-- Move Caps lock to the current position of ESC (i.e. beside Tab).
-- Make Shift keys higher, i.e. 2x1u.
-- (For those who prefer typing modifier+Backspace by right hand) Additional Backspace at the usual position, i.e. top-right corner of the "core".

In either case, for those who type Space bar with both thumbs, it makes sense to add a 2x1u key to the blank column for Backspace, which can be typed by either thumb or index finger.

No surprises, the new layout is very close to the TypeMatrix 2030. As a coder, I find the TypeMatrix good for typing but horrible for editing because of many changes against the standard TKL/full-size layout. For example, one hand Ctrl+Shift+arrow/Home/End is completely different.

The new layout has no standard vs modified layout compatibility problems. In fact, in the alphanumeric area, only three (presumably least used) keys are relocated, namely \ = ]. In the control area there're six relocations (Backspace, Enter, Esc, L-Shift, R-Shift and Caps Lock), of those only one big change (Backspace). From own experience I believe that everyone can adapt the changes, in near-zero time and with pleasure.
« Last Edit: Sat, 18 April 2020, 17:56:51 by dusan »

Offline dusan

« Reply #34 on: Sat, 18 April 2020, 18:27:21 »
In case of no additional nav + edit cluster (i.e. no TKL/full-size extension) it is of course worth considering the following variant.

240179-0" alt="" class="bbc_img" />
« Last Edit: Sat, 18 April 2020, 18:30:49 by dusan »