Author Topic: Wanting to do a school project over mechanical keyboards  (Read 3907 times)

Offline jjjbbap

Wanting to do a school project over mechanical keyboards
« on: Mon, 18 November 2019, 19:31:19 »
For English, we have to do a project where we can build or do whatever we choose for 50 hours and then document it. I have never built a keyboard before so I don't know if this is too eager.

I wanted to build a keyboard that would be able to be wired and wireless, all while having a raspberry pi in the bottom of it. Something similar to [this](https://www.instructables.com/id/Raspberry-Pi-Zero-Keyboard-Computer/) but with a custom keyboard and it could be hooked up to a separate computer as well and function like a normal keyboard. I figured that I could use the wireless capabilities of the raspberry pi to connect it to the keyboard and then used the wired for if I wanted to connect it to a normal computer. I have access to a bunch of different tools like cnc and 3d printers. Do you think that this would be unrealistic for someone to do?

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
Re: Wanting to do a school project over mechanical keyboards
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 18 November 2019, 19:38:45 »
How much experience do you have with circuit design/soldering/CAD? Sounds like a pretty ambition school project. Wired/wireless + all-in-one/stand-alone is a tall order. Maybe some subset of those would be more realistic?
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline jjjbbap

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 18 November 2019, 19:41:09 »
I'm pretty proficient in CAD. I know that I can make/machine a case. Would I have to do a custom PCB
« Last Edit: Mon, 18 November 2019, 20:16:29 by jjjbbap »

Offline jjjbbap

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 18 November 2019, 19:43:13 »
How much experience do you have with circuit design/soldering/CAD?
I'm pretty proficient in CAD. I know that I can make/machine a case. Would I have to do a custom PCB or could I not just buy a premade one? Sorry about the double reply, I'm still trying to figure this website out.

Edit: This project is also still about a year away so I can learn whatever I need to do. We are just required to start thinking about this project now.

Also,  I have soldered before and am currently in a soldering class and am improving
« Last Edit: Mon, 18 November 2019, 19:55:57 by jjjbbap »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 18 November 2019, 21:08:55 »
I might suggest a 2-phase approach:

Get an existing older mechanical keyboard, one with some room inside, and work out all the non-keyboard stuff first like the raspberry pi, wireless, wired connections, etc, so that you are confident with that whole realm, apart from the keyboard-building bit.

Once you have all that humming along reliably, build your home-made keyboard to transplant it into.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 19 November 2019, 07:03:51 »
For English, we have to do a project where we can build or do whatever we choose for 50 hours and then document it. I have never built a keyboard before so I don't know if this is too eager.

I wanted to build a keyboard that would be able to be wired and wireless, all while having a raspberry pi in the bottom of it. Something similar to [this](https://www.instructables.com/id/Raspberry-Pi-Zero-Keyboard-Computer/) but with a custom keyboard and it could be hooked up to a separate computer as well and function like a normal keyboard. I figured that I could use the wireless capabilities of the raspberry pi to connect it to the keyboard and then used the wired for if I wanted to connect it to a normal computer. I have access to a bunch of different tools like cnc and 3d printers. Do you think that this would be unrealistic for someone to do?

First, i reccomend you explain what's going on before you build the keyboard§. Explain the history of how keyboard technology has evolved§ and§ how manufacturers resorted§ to rubber d§omes.

For most, wireless and wired§ is not an option. You will have to stick with one.

I apologize if i am typing like this. My keyboard§ has broke

Offline Kevadu

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 19 November 2019, 13:35:19 »
I'm a little confused about the goal here.  Can you make a custom keyboard with a built-in Raspberry Pi?  Absolutely.  You'll need to make a custom case so there's actually room for the Pi but it sounds like you're willing to do that.  If you're willing to go with a standard layout (like 60%) then you shouldn't really need to make a custom PCB.  You could just make a case with extra room for the Pi that still accommodates the PCB of your choice and then just buy one.

What I don't get is why you want to connect the keyboard to the Pi wirelessly, especially if they're going to be in the same case.  Seems like a wired connection would be a lot simpler to me with no real downside...they're in the same case anyway.  Going wireless also really limits your PCB choices because they'll need to support it.

If you want to be able to switch the keyboard from connecting to the Pi to connecting to a different computer then I would look for something like a KVM switch (except you don't need the V or M part...) and try to embed that in your custom case as well.  I know most of those are really meant to sit on your desk as their own thing but their internals shouldn't be all that complicated so I would recommend disassembling a KVM switch and reusing its internals.