Author Topic: HHKB Pro 2 Love  (Read 437030 times)

Offline derb2k2

• Something of a Topre ****..
Re: HHKB Pro 2 Love
« Reply #1350 on: Sat, 06 February 2016, 14:19:21 »
The spacebar is supposed to be ABS instead of PBT? Because it feels exactly the same as the rest of them. Am I just oblivious to plastic quality?

Yes it's ABS. Look closely at the texture or rub carefully and you'll feel a grainy texture on the others. If all of that fails, wait a few weeks and you'll start noticing a shine on the spacebar where you place your thumb most  :))
HHKB | RF 45UB | Novatouch | Poker II Blue | QFR Browns | Rosewill RK-9000RE

Offline zeta

« Reply #1351 on: Sat, 06 February 2016, 14:25:12 »
Yes it's ABS. Look closely at the texture or rub carefully and you'll feel a grainy texture on the others. If all of that fails, wait a few weeks and you'll start noticing a shine on the spacebar where you place your thumb most  :))

I feel the PBT graininess on the spacebar as well. Could I just buy a single white spacebar from somebody in that case? Massdrop isn't running the spacebar drop by itself.

Offline derb2k2

« Reply #1352 on: Sat, 06 February 2016, 14:39:11 »

I feel the PBT graininess on the spacebar as well. Could I just buy a single white spacebar from somebody in that case? Massdrop isn't running the spacebar drop by itself.

Matt3o had organized a group buy a while ago so there might be someone willing to sell you one. I will be receiving some soon too, so maybe i'll donate one to you, though it won't be a black one.  :) What color is yours?

Offline zeta

« Reply #1353 on: Sat, 06 February 2016, 14:47:08 »
Matt3o had organized a group buy a while ago so there might be someone willing to sell you one. I will be receiving some soon too, so maybe i'll donate one to you, though it won't be a black one.  :) What color is yours?

I'm using a white HHKB! Buying one from somebody else would be fantastic, thank you. :)

Offline derb2k2

« Reply #1354 on: Sat, 06 February 2016, 14:55:46 »

I'm using a white HHKB! Buying one from somebody else would be fantastic, thank you. :)

Nice. I'll keep you updated.

As Phil Collins used to say, "you'll be in my heart. Yes you'll be in my heart."

Offline qazeqaz

« Reply #1355 on: Sat, 06 February 2016, 16:39:04 »
I just got mine in the mail today and I have to say that I love the way it feels and sounds. The hype on this board/switches are real! Although that backspace is a killer to try and get used to!

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #1356 on: Sat, 06 February 2016, 17:00:14 »
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #1357 on: Sat, 06 February 2016, 18:35:16 »
I just got mine in the mail today and I have to say that I love the way it feels and sounds. The hype on this board/switches are real! Although that backspace is a killer to try and get used to!

Great to hear you like it! Doesn't it feel like coming home in a way? :)
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline qazeqaz

« Reply #1358 on: Sat, 06 February 2016, 18:45:20 »

Haha indeed it does, very nice feeling and sounding.

Offline derb2k2

« Reply #1359 on: Sat, 06 February 2016, 19:17:40 »

how are you liking the layout? (you better say you like it, or else) Any particularities (or pecularities) that stand out? You should be able to acclimate to the backspace. I use my pinky and when I have to press it repeatedly I make sure not to lift my pinky off too much to make it more efficient and quick.

Offline qazeqaz

« Reply #1360 on: Sat, 06 February 2016, 20:16:32 »

how are you liking the layout? (you better say you like it, or else) Any particularities (or pecularities) that stand out? You should be able to acclimate to the backspace. I use my pinky and when I have to press it repeatedly I make sure not to lift my pinky off too much to make it more efficient and quick.

I am used to the CTRL instead of caps, so much better. Back space is a bit rough for me to remember but I am getting it, slowly. Also the arrow keys are just bizarre to me! But practice makes perfect. Space bar is a bit sharp in design, gaming is wrecking my thumb!!!

Offline Altis

« Reply #1361 on: Sat, 06 February 2016, 21:13:02 »
I have to ask... does anyone else have their center-most keys make a much louder *clack* on the upstroke? In particular, the G, H, T, and B keys are very loud compared with the keys on either end of the board (which are more of a click-sound on upstroke, or simply not as loud).

It makes typing sound a bit funny how different they sound.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1362 on: Sat, 06 February 2016, 23:05:38 »
Its ABS, no its cheap quality, trust me, get PBT Topre spacebar from Matt3o ASAP
Yep ASAP. All pbt topre is perfect

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1363 on: Sat, 06 February 2016, 23:07:13 »
I have to ask... does anyone else have their center-most keys make a much louder *clack* on the upstroke? In particular, the G, H, T, and B keys are very loud compared with the keys on either end of the board (which are more of a click-sound on upstroke, or simply not as loud).

Yep its normal its because of the case mounted bro!

Edit: sorry double post

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #1364 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 05:00:18 »
Its ABS, no its cheap quality, trust me, get PBT Topre spacebar from Matt3o ASAP

Yeah... I love my HHKB and my 87U but dat spacebar.. not only is it ABS, but it also feels like really cheap hollow ABS. I've had better ABS caps.

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1365 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 05:06:21 »

Yeah... I love my HHKB and my 87U but dat spacebar.. not only is it ABS, but it also feels like really cheap hollow ABS. I've had better ABS caps.
Yep just thick abs allowed  :p

Offline Diokhan

« Reply #1366 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 16:31:57 »
Anyone has a black pbt space bar that he wants to sell? :)

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #1367 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 16:43:07 »

Where are you located?
<- My Collection (so far)

Offline qazeqaz

« Reply #1368 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 17:53:36 »
So I love the HHKB I got in black, problem is that I am a n00b at typing... So I look and peck... Thinking about picking up the HHKB-S, thought on the matter? Figured the black HHKB can be used at work, where the lights are always super bright, and the S will be easier to see at my house in the dark. Wanted peoples input on how different the S is compared to the default Pro 2.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #1369 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 17:55:28 »
So I love the HHKB I got in black, problem is that I am a n00b at typing... So I look and peck... Thinking about picking up the HHKB-S, thought on the matter? Figured the black HHKB can be used at work, where the lights are always super bright, and the S will be easier to see at my house in the dark. Wanted peoples input on how different the S is compared to the default Pro 2.

Type-S is nice, but you could also just but the white version of the regular HHKB. I can image.. black-on-black is really difficult to read. You could also try to learn to touch type to at least remember the basic a-z keys on goodtyping.com for instance. But yeah.. I can imagine how difficult it is.

Offline Altis

« Reply #1370 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 17:58:17 »

Hmm.. It makes typing on the HHKB much louder than on the Realforce 87U. I don't even think I can bring the HHKB to work, really, and it's mostly those center keys that let off a good *clack*.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #1371 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 18:00:05 »

Hmm.. It makes typing on the HHKB much louder than on the Realforce 87U. I don't even think I can bring the HHKB to work, really, and it's mostly those center keys that let off a good *clack*.

Your colleagues should praise you for bringing them the wonderfol thock-sound. Those peasants! What do they type on themselves? I guess it's those Dell domes..

Offline derb2k2

« Reply #1372 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 18:00:37 »

Dis how you type?

C'mon man! Learn to touch type. The women will love you for it when they pass by your cubicle (trust me, I know!)

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #1373 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 18:04:14 »
C'mon man! Learn to touch type. The women will love you for it when they pass by your cubicle (trust me, I know!)
People come crawling to my office when they hear me touch type..

Offline derb2k2

« Reply #1374 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 18:06:47 »
People come crawling to my office when they hear me touch type..

The men too?!??

Power of the THOCK :)) :))

Offline Altis

« Reply #1375 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 19:40:17 »

Your colleagues should praise you for bringing them the wonderfol thock-sound. Those peasants! What do they type on themselves? I guess it's those Dell domes..

It's not the thock that bothers them, it's the clack! The thock is fine.

And yes, they use the worst of the Dell keyboards you can imagine. One of them around me has a broken one that sounds like a springboard every time they press the spacebar.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #1376 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 19:42:02 »
Make room for the Grandaddy of them all

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #1377 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 19:45:52 »

Show Image

The sixty section of a venerable Sun UNIX board.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #1378 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 19:50:53 »
Or the sixty percent of this, but with a shorter space bar, for style.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #1379 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 19:53:15 »

Show Image

This is more like the long lost uncle. Glad this was an ANSI board though, or we may not have the HHKB as we know it today.

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1380 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 21:46:00 »

Show Image

That spacebar is like an aircraft carrier

Offline Diokhan

« Reply #1381 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 23:42:35 »

Where are you located?
Netherlands :c

Offline Bucake

« Reply #1382 on: Mon, 08 February 2016, 00:00:30 »

Show Image

wow, what keyboard is this?
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #1383 on: Mon, 08 February 2016, 04:29:44 »

Show Image

Hey that isn't a Pro 2 >:D

This is cool tho

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #1384 on: Mon, 08 February 2016, 09:37:12 »

Show Image

It is a Sun keyboard, that clearly was the base for the HHKB layout, that is, simple put, its sixty percent area, pretty much unchanged, but with shorter space bar and a pair of 1u modifiers.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #1385 on: Mon, 08 February 2016, 14:22:48 »

Show Image

It is a Sun keyboard, that clearly was the base for the HHKB layout, that is, simple put, its sixty percent area, pretty much unchanged, but with shorter space bar and a pair of 1u modifiers.

Especially with that linefeed button.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #1386 on: Mon, 08 February 2016, 14:57:56 »

Show Image

Especially with that linefeed button.

It was turned into a Fn key.

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #1387 on: Mon, 08 February 2016, 15:20:54 »
Cross posting because I can

127533-0

Offline qazeqaz

« Reply #1388 on: Mon, 08 February 2016, 15:32:25 »
Thoughts on 3M carbon fiber wrapping a HHKB? I was thinking about trying it out. Wasn't sure if it would interfere with any parts on it though.

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1389 on: Mon, 08 February 2016, 17:28:18 »
Thoughts on 3M carbon fiber wrapping a HHKB? I was thinking about trying it out. Wasn't sure if it would interfere with any parts on it though.
I want to see the final results bro! No its not gonna interfere with any parts

Offline qazeqaz

« Reply #1390 on: Mon, 08 February 2016, 17:44:27 »

Good to know, guess I will gather some supplies and see how it turns out.

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1391 on: Mon, 08 February 2016, 17:51:57 »

Yeeee good luck on the project bro!

Offline alexjd99

• oozing through the cells of one's own construction
« Reply #1392 on: Mon, 08 February 2016, 23:31:23 »

Can't wait to see it when you're done! I always thought about carbon wrapping my HHKB, but have always been too lazy to do it

Offline qazeqaz

« Reply #1393 on: Mon, 08 February 2016, 23:44:45 »

Can't wait to see it when you're done! I always thought about carbon wrapping my HHKB, but have always been too lazy to do it

I figured it would be an interesting project to undertake, really liking the HHKB and may just keep it and sell my Corsair Strafe.

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1394 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 01:16:19 »

I figured it would be an interesting project to undertake, really liking the HHKB and may just keep it and sell my Corsair Strafe.
Yeah just sell that thing. The only cherry that is good is custom ones hehe

Offline Diokhan

« Reply #1395 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 01:35:02 »
If somebody has or knows somebody who has a black pbt space bar I would love to take it of their hands :P

Offline Fullcream

« Reply #1396 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 04:07:01 »
Decided to give hhkb a second chance. I really like its layout, form factor and overall aesthetics. I have just ordered a new one after being extremely disappointed with the type s. I found it to feel twice as scratchy as mx browns. I was so angry with my purchase that I took the sliders out and threw them in the trash along with the keycaps.

Could not believe that such a hyped up and expensive product is produced so poorly. I'm really only referring to the finish of the outer surface on the topre stems and possibly rails/guides on the slider and the slider housing.

I say this because the feeling of smoothness and preciseness was completely absent from the hhkb. When compared with my Novatouch which is usually considered a low quality topre board.

I am very glad that the hhkb was not my first topre experience. What a complete fiasco that would have been.

This time around I will be lubricating sliders, rails and stabilizers of course. After that if the topre experience is still nowhere near what it should be like on my silenced novatouch I will accept it for what it is and try to view its huge imperfections as endearing qualities. But that's not going to happen.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #1397 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 04:09:15 »
Decided to give hhkb a second chance. I really like its layout, form factor and overall aesthetics. I have just ordered a new one after being extremely disappointed with the type s. I found it to feel twice as scratchy as mx browns. I was so angry with my purchase that I took the sliders out and threw them in the trash along with the keycaps.

wouldnt it be ****in cool if you had a kid and you didnt like that kid so you pulled out all its teeth and threw them away

you freak
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline Diokhan

« Reply #1398 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 04:10:40 »

Could not believe that such a hyped up and expensive product is produced so poorly. I'm really only referring to the finish of the outer surface on the topre stems and possibly rails/guides on the slider and the slider housing.

I say this because the feeling of smoothness and preciseness was completely absent from the hhkb. When compared with my Novatouch which is usually considered a low quality topre board.

I am very glad that the hhkb was not my first topre experience. What a complete fiasco that would have been.

This time around I will be lubricating sliders, rails and stabilizers of course. After that if the topre experience is still nowhere near what it should be like on my silenced novatouch I will accept it for what it is and try to view its huge imperfections as endearing qualities. But that's not going to happen.

SHould the type-s that more silent that it's worth so much more?
From what I read from you it isn't :P

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1399 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 04:16:00 »

What the hell a scratchy hhkb? Never seen or hear that kind of sorcery!