Author Topic: Greetings, GH!  (Read 2130 times)

Offline CoolGrayAJ

Greetings, GH!
« on: Sat, 06 February 2016, 00:12:28 »
Hey folks! My name is AJ, and I've finally mustered enough courage to both accept my addiction to keyboards, and celebrate it with everyone here.

I've been in the realm of esports for several years, most recently managing most of the players in Evil Geniuses and Alliance. Being in that space introduced me to the wonderful world of mechanical keyboards, and I can happily say that I've been an owner of several keyboards -- the entire Razer BlackWidow line, Steelseries 6gv2 (MX Red, MX Brown), Logitech G710+, Das Keyboard Ultimate Model S (MX Blue).

I'm patiently waiting for my latest baby -- a white HHKB (printed keycaps) -- and already have plans to get an extra set of blank keycaps to dye. I haven't yet decided what sort of color scheme I want to go with.

I've lurked the forums for a while now, and finally decided to actually start contributing, because I feel like I've missed out on so many deals -- namely Bro Caps and Clacks (hope I got those right, haha).

I'm looking forward to meeting you all, and hope I wasn't too long-winded here, hahaha!

HHKB         Razer BlackWidow     Steelseries 6gv2         Logitech G710+
                   Evil Geniuses Edition   MX Red & Brown

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
Re: Greetings, GH!
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 06 February 2016, 06:15:07 »
Welcome to GH! And I see you've already convert to the topre-religion.. You will not regret your HHKB! Happy thocking!
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline CoolGrayAJ

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 06 February 2016, 10:13:42 »
Oh, absolutely! I was converted a long time ago, but it really cemented after going to Tokyo Game Show and actually playing with that RGB Type Heaven they have coming out. I'm doing all I can to snag me one of those beauties.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 08 February 2016, 03:59:50 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

With lots of Cherry MX experience, what made you get the HHKB?

If you want a blank keycap set for the HHKB, and you can find one, buy it now!  Most Topre sets are getting very hard to find.

Bro Caps and Clacks - yes, two of the earlier artisan keycap makers.  ClickClack has been missing for a while since his extended illness and other problems, but we hear from him from time to time. Bro Caps is all over the place where you leas expect him, with all sorts of keycap projects on the go!

Both are absolutely fantastic, both have the highest quality, and both have fantastically detailed ranges of keycaps.

Then there are all the other artisans who have biult up their own followings - you'll probably end up with a few keycaps from here, and a few from there.  So many designs to choose from!  So many colours!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline CoolGrayAJ

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 08 February 2016, 23:28:35 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

If you want a blank keycap set for the HHKB, and you can find one, buy it now!  Most Topre sets are getting very hard to find.

Bro Caps and Clacks - yes, two of the earlier artisan keycap makers.  ClickClack has been missing for a while since his extended illness and other problems, but we hear from him from time to time. Bro Caps is all over the place where you leas expect him, with all sorts of keycap projects on the go!

Both are absolutely fantastic, both have the highest quality, and both have fantastically detailed ranges of keycaps.

Then there are all the other artisans who have biult up their own followings - you'll probably end up with a few keycaps from here, and a few from there.  So many designs to choose from!  So many colours!

I was fortunate enough to try the RGB Realforce at Tokyo Game Show this year, and just absolutely fell in love with Topre. The HHKB just seemed like an ideal choice aesthetically because of its size.

Yeah, I think I'll end up getting a set now, and decide on a color later.

I'm definitely going to lurk the Artisan forums :)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 03:53:06 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

I was fortunate enough to try the RGB Realforce at Tokyo Game Show this year, and just absolutely fell in love with Topre. The HHKB just seemed like an ideal choice aesthetically because of its size.

Yeah, I think I'll end up getting a set now, and decide on a color later.

I'm definitely going to lurk the Artisan forums :)

Bitten by the Topre bug :)

Some people find that the HHKB slides around on the desk as it's so light.  A tip is to place a sheet of drawer liner underneath it.  That stops it sliding, and also dampens the downstroke noise, leaving mainly just the lovely thock on the upstroke :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline CoolGrayAJ

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 10:14:40 »
I'm actually planning to use an oversized mouse pad to put underneath the HHKB. I've messed with one a bit, so I feel like I've got a fairly solid plan for it.

I wanted to ask you -- as far as some of the more sought-after (from what I can see) artisans like Bro Caps, is the wait between releases (and purchase times) pretty regular? I'm getting the sense that they aren't.

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 10:15:42 »
I'm actually planning to use an oversized mouse pad to put underneath the HHKB. I've messed with one a bit, so I feel like I've got a fairly solid plan for it.

I wanted to ask you -- as far as some of the more sought-after (from what I can see) artisans like Bro Caps, is the wait between releases (and purchase times) pretty regular? I'm getting the sense that they aren't.

BroCaps actually has fairly-regular sales. Maybe once every 3-4 months there's a big sale and he has smaller sales almost monthly.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 20:02:21 »

Releases are generally rumours.  Bro might post a few teasers pictures in his sales thread, then nothing for weeks or months.  Other times a sale happens very soon.

The randomness is part of the fun :D

Offline CoolGrayAJ

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 10 February 2016, 11:05:24 »
Great to know. Thanks, fellas!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 10 February 2016, 20:02:17 »
Something else he sometimes does is a smaller second sale for those who missed out on an earlier larger sale.