Author Topic: Pot Leaf Keycap  (Read 11577 times)

Offline Galaxy

Pot Leaf Keycap
« on: Mon, 01 July 2013, 12:23:17 »
I have been searching for a pot leaf keycap for over a month now and I have had no luck.

I know such a thing exists because I have seen pictures such as this (nsfw?):
More

Apparently this one is a ClickClack, but I'm not trying to track down some super rare collectible and pay 10x what it's worth.

Does anyone else sell a keycap like this?

If not would there be any interest in a group buy? Hell if the only way to get my pot leaf keycap was via a group buy why not do an entire "vice" set with a potleaf keycap, an alcohol keycap, a mushroom keycap, a gambling keycap, a naked woman silhouette keycap, etc?
Filco Majestouch 2     Ducky Zero DK2108

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: Pot Leaf Keycap
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 01 July 2013, 12:27:28 »
Yes that is a Clack. You probably won't be able to find a cap like that, that isn't a Clack.

Edit: In the 4/20 sale earlier this year, they were going for like $18. You could try and find someone who would sell to you at cost or trade.
« Last Edit: Mon, 01 July 2013, 12:30:05 by CPTBadAss »

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 01 July 2013, 12:54:50 »
If you don't want to spend a ton, Signature Plastic's Pimp My Keyboard has one in the "Stoner Set".  They're thinner and not as interesting as a CC, but much cheaper.

I'm with you though that the mark-up on them can be quite absurd.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 01 July 2013, 12:58:17 »
Good looking out nub, I forgot about that set. And I waited 5 months to get a clack since I refused to pay the markups. I bought all of my clacks at cost.

Offline Galaxy

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 01 July 2013, 13:25:28 »
Yes that is a Clack. You probably won't be able to find a cap like that, that isn't a Clack.

Edit: In the 4/20 sale earlier this year, they were going for like $18. You could try and find someone who would sell to you at cost or trade.

I would happily buy one of these for $18 or even $30 if anyone has one they're willing to sell. I may try posting a WTB thread in classifieds.

If you don't want to spend a ton, Signature Plastic's Pimp My Keyboard has one in the "Stoner Set".  They're thinner and not as interesting as a CC, but much cheaper.

Thanks, I haven't seen this set before. Sadly I'm not a fan of the other keys that come in the set, and the pot leaf itself looks pretty crappy compared to the CC one.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 01 July 2013, 13:29:37 »
You'll be hard pressed to fine a CC for $18-30.  Most people who put them up for sale flip them for anything from 2-6x their original price.  The only one I have it a gift and I'm looking to trade it for a skull.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 01 July 2013, 13:30:23 »
I would happily buy one of these for $18 or even $30 if anyone has one they're willing to sell. I may try posting a WTB thread in classifieds.

Thanks, I haven't seen this set before. Sadly I'm not a fan of the other keys that come in the set, and the pot leaf itself looks pretty crappy compared to the CC one.
ClickClack, the maker off the 420 caps, sells them for $18. They sell out within minutes and he only holds sales every now and then. Because of this they're rare and so it's almost impossible to find them for their original price or anywhere close to the original price.

Also, it will be very hard to find keycaps that look as nice. They're made in a different way from most mass-produced keycaps.
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 01 July 2013, 13:32:39 »
You'll be hard pressed to fine a CC for $18-30.  Most people who put them up for sale flip them for anything from 2-6x their original price.

I agree with this. It's hard to get an at-cost clack. I waited 5 months to get my first. And it required a group of friends to help me get my first skull.

Offline Galaxy

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 01 July 2013, 13:52:49 »
Is there a company that will just let me upload my own silhouette and print it for me?

Am I mistaken or would this be a good idea for a group buy? Maybe it's because I live in the bay area of California, but I don't know any geeks that don't smoke. Considering some of the incredibly niche keycaps that are available I'm amazed that there are no decent caps available for something as ubiquitous and celebrated amongst nerds as pot.

Offline insilica

• Keyboard Geeza
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 01 July 2013, 14:22:50 »
Is there a company that will just let me upload my own silhouette and print it for me?

Am I mistaken or would this be a good idea for a group buy? Maybe it's because I live in the bay area of California, but I don't know any geeks that don't smoke. Considering some of the incredibly niche keycaps that are available I'm amazed that there are no decent caps available for something as ubiquitous and celebrated amongst nerds as pot.

Wasdkeyboards will print them for you providing you supply coral draw? Template. ABS only though!

« Last Edit: Mon, 01 July 2013, 14:27:10 by insilica »
FreeBSD :: Gentoo :: Arch :: [Project Roswell] :: U2410 Eyefinity :: WC P280 :: 3930K [C2] (4.5GHz)
ASUS Maximus IV :: 64GB Vengeance :: MSI 7970 xFire ::  Seasonic 1KW :: M4 256GB

REALFORCE 87U Silent (Variable) | Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja TKL (Brown) | FC660C

Offline kenmai9

• Unicornforce
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Skrrr
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 01 July 2013, 14:40:36 »
You'll be hard pressed to fine a CC for $18-30.  Most people who put them up for sale flip them for anything from 2-6x their original price.

I agree with this. It's hard to get an at-cost clack. I waited 5 months to get my first. And it required a group of friends to help me get my first skull.

So even if I wait until july4 for julysicle, I probably won't be able to get one unless I have a bunch of friends here? How is that fair lol

Offline insilica

• Keyboard Geeza
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 01 July 2013, 14:46:56 »

So even if I wait until july4 for julysicle, I probably won't be able to get one unless I have a bunch of friends here? How is that fair lol

Not really. Just hang around for the 4grabs. If you're around when it goes down you may get lucky and snag one or two.

FreeBSD :: Gentoo :: Arch :: [Project Roswell] :: U2410 Eyefinity :: WC P280 :: 3930K [C2] (4.5GHz)
ASUS Maximus IV :: 64GB Vengeance :: MSI 7970 xFire ::  Seasonic 1KW :: M4 256GB

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 01 July 2013, 14:47:17 »

Who ever said that it would be fair?

Offline kenmai9

• Unicornforce
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Skrrr
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 01 July 2013, 15:02:07 »

Who ever said that it would be fair?

I don't know. I just thought GH was a community not an esoteric group of buddies that charge absorbitant amounts for CCs that they got for $18 or $30 just because they know someone. All we want are pot leaf keys lol. That's the coolest CC I've seen but I won't support anyone trying to profit off of me and ClickClack.

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 01 July 2013, 15:05:08 »
This is a community but the members can sell their stuff for whatever price they can get.

We all want CC's but can't all have them.

Offline kenmai9

• Unicornforce
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Skrrr
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 01 July 2013, 15:07:02 »
This is a community but the members can sell their stuff for whatever price they can get.

Only the cool kids.

Offline bazemk1979

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 01 July 2013, 15:08:26 »
OP if by any chance u find one, usually owners ask $100+ for it.... Just to give you an idea of whats to expect when you buy keycap not direct from clack factory. This is the famous skull keycaps made by the same guy that makes your pot keycap lol, watch that starting price bid, and that mofo bought it for $18 most likely.... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Octopink-Topre-Skull-Keycap-Clickclack-Clackfactory-HHKB-Realforce-/161049272873?pt=PCA_Mice_Trackballs&hash=item257f48e229#ht_272wt_1399
« Last Edit: Mon, 01 July 2013, 15:11:26 by bazemk1979 »
Quote from: IvanIvanovich on Wed, 08 January 2014, 18:02:50

When you bottom out dong cap... is it going balls deep?

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 01 July 2013, 15:10:01 »

Only the cool kids.

Only the rich kids.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 01 July 2013, 15:17:56 »
I don't know. I just thought GH was a community not an esoteric group of buddies that charge absorbitant amounts for CCs that they got for $18 or $30 just because they know someone. All we want are pot leaf keys lol. That's the coolest CC I've seen but I won't support anyone trying to profit off of me and ClickClack.
Supply & demand.
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline Galaxy

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 01 July 2013, 15:29:50 »
op if by any chance u find one, usually owners ask $100+ for it....

Hahaha. Even if I were I a multi-millionaire I wouldn't spend $100+ on a keycap unless it was made of a precious metal.

I don't give a **** how rare or well-crafted the keycap is, that is pure insanity. Seems like a bunch of geeks with money to burn created this value out of thin air and the dude behind ClickClack is encouraging it by keeping quantities limited.

I just want a keycap with a clean looking pot leaf.....

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 01 July 2013, 15:31:36 »
I take it you are trying to piss off a number of collectors on here?

Offline insilica

• Keyboard Geeza
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 01 July 2013, 15:34:00 »

... Just imagine this is his 5th post.  :rolleyes:

Just FYI there is a tri color clack key on auction currently at $225 right now on the classified page.
« Last Edit: Mon, 01 July 2013, 15:36:52 by insilica »

Offline Galaxy

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 01 July 2013, 15:38:19 »

I would imagine even the people collecting these things would agree that it's pretty absurd.

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
  • After all, music soothes even the savage beast
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 01 July 2013, 15:44:35 »
Don't let all these comments leave a bitter taste in your mouth about Geekhack or Click Clack. CC makes a certain amount of each cap he is selling in any particular sale he is having(usually themed eg. Octoberfest, 4:20 etc). Sometimes it's very few of one kind and sometimes its more but it's never enough for everyone since clacks are arguably the most popular caps around. This is what makes them so sought after/rare. Clack will generally announce a sale beforehand and provide a product list and photos and give you an exact time of when the sale will start. Shortly before sale time he will release an email address to send your "order" to. He gets massive amounts of emails all at once when the sale goes up. At this point it's a first come first serve type deal. You were either quick enough or you weren't. If you receive an invoice via email it's your lucky day. If not, well at least you had some excitement trying and maybe next time you will make it in. Many a debate has come up on this forum as to how fair this system is (connection speed, location etc) and you will eventually form your own opinion. That's the main way he sells them. At times clack will hold smaller sales spur of the moment in his 4grabs thread or have sales through a third party such as Elitekeyboards.com, sometimes it's lottery style. I think he makes a great effort to try and make this as fair as possible with what resources he has. Just keep an eye on the forums and eventually you will hit pay dirt. Then trading for what you really want can begin. It's a process. If you don't want to pay ridiculously inflated prices this is the only way. The reason there aren't ten different types of pot caps out there that look exactly like clacks is because we are in fact a community who for the most part respect one another and won't step on anyone's toes. As long as people keep paying the inflated prices it will continue to happen. There are a lot of people here, myself included who refuse to pay that much. 
Too Soon™          LZ-GH       Full Metal Poker

Offline Galaxy

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 01 July 2013, 15:54:47 »
Don't let all these comments leave a bitter taste in your mouth about Geekhack or Click Clack. CC makes a certain amount of each cap he is selling in any particular sale he is having(usually themed eg. Octoberfest, 4:20 etc). Sometimes it's very few of one kind and sometimes its more but it's never enough for everyone since clacks are arguably the most popular caps around. This is what makes them so sought after/rare. Clack will generally announce a sale beforehand and provide a product list and photos and give you an exact time of when the sale will start. Shortly before sale time he will release an email address to send your "order" to. He gets massive amounts of emails all at once when the sale goes up. At this point it's a first come first serve type deal. You were either quick enough or you weren't. If you receive an invoice via email it's your lucky day. If not, well at least you had some excitement trying and maybe next time you will make it in. Many a debate has come up on this forum as to how fair this system is (connection speed, location etc) and you will eventually form your own opinion. That's the main way he sells them. At times clack will hold smaller sales spur of the moment in his 4grabs thread or have sales through a third party such as Elitekeyboards.com, sometimes it's lottery style. I think he makes a great effort to try and make this as fair as possible with what resources he has. Just keep an eye on the forums and eventually you will hit pay dirt. Then trading for what you really want can begin. It's a process. If you don't want to pay ridiculously inflated prices this is the only way. The reason there aren't ten different types of pot caps out there that look exactly like clacks is because we are in fact a community who for the most part respect one another and won't step on anyone's toes. As long as people keep paying the inflated prices it will continue to happen. There are a lot of people here, myself included who refuse to pay that much.

Interesting, thanks for taking the time to write that.

Seems to me that ClickClack could easily just do pre-orders to see how many people will want to buy, hell even make them pay up front, and then fill orders at his leisure. The fact that he continues to do business in this way is pretty strong evidence that he is using the supply/demand imbalance to build hype.

I still love Geek Hack but I am definitely getting a bitter taste in my mouth when it comes to Click Clack. I would love nothing more than to find a way to replicate his pot leaf key and sell it for a reasonable price simply to show him how much money he missed out on by chasing exclusivity and hype instead of actually trying to sell a product.
« Last Edit: Mon, 01 July 2013, 16:01:05 by Galaxy »

Offline bazemk1979

« Reply #25 on: Mon, 01 July 2013, 16:00:05 »

Seems to me that ClickClack could easily just do pre-orders to see how many people will want to buy, hell even make them pay up front, and then fill orders at his leisure. The fact that he continues to do business in this way is pretty strong evidence that he is using the supply/demand imbalance to build hype.

I have this feeling in my gut that some dirty geezer from here saw this post and look!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! he is selling that damn pot clack for $200 OBO.... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Clack-Factory-420-Sticky-icky-icky-Keycap-Cherry-MX-Click-Clack-Key-Cap-/181168607073?pt=PCA_Mice_Trackballs&hash=item2a2e7d8f61#ht_102wt_1399

Don't fall for it OP, jeez so many greedy people in the world.
Quote from: IvanIvanovich on Wed, 08 January 2014, 18:02:50

When you bottom out dong cap... is it going balls deep?

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 01 July 2013, 16:04:16 »
I don't have interest in the CC aftermarket at all,  but I do appreciate the artistry involved,  and I think it's pretty cool that he's a bonafied celebrity around here. I would never have guessed that people would pay more for a single cap than an entire keyboard,  but obviously some people have deep enough pockets to feed that collecting habit.

I'm going to keep watch for a new release of clacks and try my luck at getting one.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 01 July 2013, 16:04:41 »

I still love Geek Hack but I am definitely getting a bitter taste in my mouth when it comes to Click Clack. I would love nothing more than to find a way to replicate his pot leaf key and sell it for a reasonable price simply to show him how much money he missed out on by chasing exclusivity and hype instead of actually trying to sell a product.

That's just isn't how CC want's to run his business. Can't blame him, he can do whatever he wants and this isn't his main job, it's more of a hobby for him
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 01 July 2013, 16:07:18 »
Not really. Just hang around for the 4grabs. If you're around when it goes down you may get lucky and snag one or two.

Or you can be like me and get your e-mail in in time to snag one, then realize that you f*#@ed it up and accidentally sent it to the wrong e-mail address because you missed a letter.

AI don't know. I just thought GH was a community not an esoteric group of buddies that charge absorbitant amounts for CCs that they got for $18 or $30 just because they know someone. All we want are pot leaf keys lol. That's the coolest CC I've seen but I won't support anyone trying to profit off of me and ClickClack.

If it makes you feel better, there are quite a few people who are critical of that part of CC culture and really don't like people buying specifically to flip or deciding they want to make a ridiculous profit off of someone else's work.  There are also people who are the complete antithesis of those people trying to profit off of it and try and help deserving people find them, sell them at cost, and/or give them away.

I'm organizing a Qwerkeys UV printing group buy shortly, it shouldn't be an issue to get it added as an option for people.
« Last Edit: Mon, 01 July 2013, 16:21:21 by nubbinator »

Offline insilica

• Keyboard Geeza
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 01 July 2013, 16:13:03 »
Don't force it. It will come to you. Be patient, lurk a little and you will get the scoop on 4grabs.

See here if you haven't:

http://geekhack.org/index.php?board=78.0

It's not who you know, it is if you are around when the announcement is made.

No disrespect but you have been a member for 3 days and you expect to land a clickClack? Not going to happen unless you have deep pockets.

To do per orders and flood the market means CC will loose the value it has. And mr clickClack does have a full time job. We are grateful he takes the time to produce these pieces of art.

Please please refuse to pay extortionate prices for these. I bought two directly, shipped to UK for 35$ directly from clickClack.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 01 July 2013, 16:17:27 »

I'm not sure how long you've been around here but there have been SO many clacks just given away. After the last Clack sale with the Hack Oranges, I saw Clack give one away straight up and two other people just give Clacks away. Hell BunnyLake is giving one away right now. I'm just telling you how I got mine, not how Geekhack works in general. Don't be so quick to jump to conclusions. My first skull was an extra a friend sold to me; and we became friends because I had said for a long time in the forums, hey, I'd love a skull clack and this person started PMing me asking if they could help me in my hunt. If you figure out who it is, that person will probably do the same for you as well. I'm certainly not part of some elitist group on GeekHack who gets all swag. If I had one to give you I'd give it to you just for asking.

Imagine that someone took thousands of hours out of their life to make this. Someone who has a day job, a family, and whatever else that requires not being on here. He's also MORE than capable of straight up charging us $200 out the door like girldc caps does. But he doesn't and even gives his work away from time to time. And he might be completely sick of the sales and supply/demand stuff by now but he still finds the time to come back and sell us caps we all really like. Maybe it's not hype, some of us have other things to do besides indulge Geekhack and do nothing else.

And he does do pre-orders like YoungMichael88 and has done commissions before. I haven't been around long enough to know if he still does or will. He's a quirky guy who chooses to run the sales the way he does.

FWIW, I've bought my friend a Clack just because I knew he liked them. It's really not that exclusive, just low supply. And I totally agree with insilica. You'll quickly learn that with anything in this hobby, it takes time. If this hobby were like going to Best Buy, GH probably wouldn't exist.

Offline Lu_e

« Reply #31 on: Mon, 01 July 2013, 16:17:55 »
That's just isn't how CC want's to run his business. Can't blame him, he can do whatever he wants and this isn't his main job, it's more of a hobby for him

This ^

Annoying as it is and ironic as it might sound... I don't think he sees it, or wants to see it, or wants anyone else to see it as as a way to make large amounts of $
« Last Edit: Mon, 01 July 2013, 16:19:26 by Lu_e »

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
    • My Youtube channel with some keyboard videos
« Reply #32 on: Mon, 01 July 2013, 16:18:09 »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Clack-Factory-420-Sticky-icky-icky-Keycap-Cherry-MX-Click-Clack-Key-Cap-/181168607073

This just came up. The timing is impeccable. Did that person PM you about it by any chance? Don't buy from this, even if you have the money.

Edit: There's always the "Make Offer" option.
« Last Edit: Mon, 01 July 2013, 19:28:00 by VesperSAINT »

Offline Lu_e

« Reply #33 on: Mon, 01 July 2013, 16:23:26 »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Clack-Factory-420-Sticky-icky-icky-Keycap-Cherry-MX-Click-Clack-Key-Cap-/181168607073

This just came up. The timing is impeccable. Did that person PM you about it by any chance? Don't buy from this, even if you have the money.

ಠ_ಠ

Really want to spam low-ball them or something... lol

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #34 on: Mon, 01 July 2013, 16:27:35 »

ಠ_ಠ

He/she's up for offers. No harm in trying to get it for a lower price, but I wouldn't spam for the sake of spamming. Lol.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #35 on: Mon, 01 July 2013, 16:30:46 »

ಠ_ಠ

You can only send 3 offers and they have an auto-decline so I wouldn't even waste your time since I doubt they'll even see them
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline Lu_e

« Reply #36 on: Mon, 01 July 2013, 16:34:30 »
Thanks for the info... lol maybe just one tog et my point across... would be even better if a bunch of people did. Hows the auto-decline work? $ threshold?

Offline kenmai9

• Unicornforce
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Skrrr
« Reply #37 on: Mon, 01 July 2013, 16:36:14 »
Thanks for the info... lol maybe just one tog et my point across... would be even better if a bunch of people did. Hows the auto-decline work? $ threshold?

Yeah. If its less than his desired reserve, it gets auto declined.

Also thanks for the replies and input errbody. Ill just attempt to get one and trade to a leaf if possible. If not **** it. I have real leaves

Offline Turbo Slaab

« Reply #38 on: Mon, 01 July 2013, 16:38:41 »

I think there is way too much demand for what he can produce. His gnomes can only do so much. Besides, if he seriously tried to keep up with the demand, it wouldn't be fun anymore.
Looking for CC's!

Offline Galaxy

« Reply #39 on: Mon, 01 July 2013, 16:45:47 »
No disrespect but you have been a member for 3 days and you expect to land a clickClack? Not going to happen unless you have deep pockets.

I DON'T expect or even WANT a Click Clack. What I want is a simple key cap with a pot leaf on it, unfortunately the only decent one I can find happens to be a CC.

I couldn't care less about this odd cult following that has formed behind ClickClack. Frankly the pot leaf one is the only CC cap I've seen that I would ever put on my keyboard, the others I've seen just don't look that cool to me. (Skulls? Really? Maybe when I was 15)
« Last Edit: Mon, 01 July 2013, 16:47:19 by Galaxy »

Offline kenmai9

• Unicornforce
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Skrrr
« Reply #40 on: Mon, 01 July 2013, 16:57:27 »

I DON'T expect or even WANT a Click Clack. What I want is a simple key cap with a pot leaf on it, unfortunately the only decent one I can find happens to be a CC.

I couldn't care less about this odd cult following that has formed behind ClickClack. Frankly the pot leaf one is the only CC cap I've seen that I would ever put on my keyboard, the others I've seen just don't look that cool to me. (Skulls? Really? Maybe when I was 15)

Yeah bro. Looks like its not gonna happen. You have to do what I'm gonna do, which is try to land one from the next sale and trade it for a leaf one. Or you can wait until 4/20/14

Offline gnubag

« Reply #41 on: Mon, 01 July 2013, 17:25:02 »
well you could let WASD make a few for you with your designs. (would be a little cheaper than the cc on ebay l0l )

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #42 on: Mon, 01 July 2013, 17:41:20 »
well you could let WASD make a few for you with your designs. (would be a little cheaper than the cc on ebay l0l )

Honestly, I'm not a fan of WASD caps.  They feel and look cheap and the engraving they do is nothing fantastic.  Good dyesub or UV printing will look better and you'll get a higher quality cap.

Like I said, send me an image file and I'll add a leaf to the Qwerkeys group buy I'm organizing.  Tell me what color cap you want and I'll make it and several other colors available in the form.

Offline kenmai9

• Unicornforce
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Skrrr
« Reply #43 on: Mon, 01 July 2013, 17:45:34 »

Honestly, I'm not a fan of WASD caps.  They feel and look cheap and the engraving they do is nothing fantastic.  Good dyesub or UV printing will look better and you'll get a higher quality cap.

Like I said, send me an image file and I'll add a leaf to the Qwerkeys group buy I'm organizing.  Tell me what color cap you want and I'll make it and several other colors available in the form.

Does it have to be corel or do they accept Adobe Illustrator as well? I've never messed with corel

Offline HoosTrax

« Reply #44 on: Mon, 01 July 2013, 18:24:01 »
why not do an entire "vice" set with a potleaf keycap, an alcohol keycap, a mushroom keycap, a gambling keycap, a naked woman silhouette keycap, etc?
Alcohol:

Mushroom (sort of :p):

Gambling:

Naked woman silhouette:

I'm guessing this would result in a NSFW keyboard...

Offline smknjoe

• I like tactile, clicky, switches.
« Reply #45 on: Mon, 01 July 2013, 18:24:53 »
Whatever happened to DangWang? He was the pot leaf guy or at least had some keycaps.
SSKs for everyone!

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #46 on: Mon, 01 July 2013, 18:25:37 »
Well, there's one thing that is agreeable here; the post consumer Clack market is the most vile and money grubbing things about the GH community. As loved as they are, Clacks bring out some of the worst in people. Quick turn arounds, whining threads after every 4Garbs, cheating the system to get more than is allowed (don't even act like this doesn't happen,) extremely high prices because people perpetuate the insane market value, and general hatred from people who don't have one.

On the flip side Clacks probably draw more members into cap collecting and grow this community more than almost any other source.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #47 on: Mon, 01 July 2013, 18:52:16 »
Whatever happened to DangWang? He was the pot leaf guy or at least had some keycaps.

He decided he was done with collecting keyboards or the community, threw a tantrum and acted all around childish, put a ton of his stuff up for private auction at deskthority, pissed a bunch of people off, and left.  Now he seems to mostly hang out with Ripster on /r/mechanicalkeyboards where he's one of the mods.

Offline smknjoe

• I like tactile, clicky, switches.
« Reply #48 on: Mon, 01 July 2013, 19:01:26 »
Well I guess he won't be able to help the OP then.
SSKs for everyone!

Offline Galaxy

« Reply #49 on: Mon, 01 July 2013, 19:27:10 »

This just came up. The timing is impeccable. Did that person PM you about it by any chance? Don't buy form this, even if you have the money.

Edit: There's always the "Make Offer" option.

That is pretty suspicious timing. Didn't receive any PM's.

Believe me, even if I had the money I wouldn't be buying this.

That would be incredible. I sent you a PM requesting a couple details.

why not do an entire "vice" set with a potleaf keycap, an alcohol keycap, a mushroom keycap, a gambling keycap, a naked woman silhouette keycap, etc?
Alcohol:
Show Image

Mushroom (sort of :p):
Show Image

Gambling:
Show Image

Naked woman silhouette:
Show Image

I'm guessing this would result in a NSFW keyboard...

Not exactly what I had in mind. I'm imagining standard sized keycaps that have the same coloring and clean silhouettes of a pot leaf, a cocktail or beer glass, playing cards or dice, a nude woman, a magic mushroom, etc.

Yeah it would be NSFW but I don't want these keys for my work keyboard.
« Last Edit: Mon, 01 July 2013, 19:31:37 by Galaxy »

Offline Galaxy

« Reply #50 on: Mon, 01 July 2013, 21:08:06 »
I whipped up a quick example of the "vices" keycap set that I would love to have.

Although I could see it being done in a variety of colors I am rather fond of how this came out in simple black and white. I have no experience with designing keycaps so I have no idea if any of this is too complex, but I imagine this would translate beautifully to keycaps.

and in white on black:

Nubbinator, if it's possible to add this whole set to your planned group buy that would be awesome; otherwise I would really appreciate any pointers on how to start a group buy, I wouldn't know where to begin.

(edit) If anyone has any ideas for another I would love to round this set out to an even 6
« Last Edit: Mon, 01 July 2013, 21:39:05 by Galaxy »

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
  • After all, music soothes even the savage beast
« Reply #51 on: Mon, 01 July 2013, 22:10:16 »
I would love that set! Since its just two basic colors double shots are probably possible. Too much detail can often times make double shots not possible but I think these ones would be just fine.  If not they they can be dye subbed. Your best bet would be to start an interest check thread for them and see how many people are interested. Then if there is enough interest you can explore your options as far as what kind of caps to make (double shot etc) and where to get them made. Since Nub has already expressed interest in helping you you're definitely off to a good start with this. Good luck. I'm in for a set. As far as an additional cap goes, hmmm I don't know. I'll think more about it.
Too Soon™          LZ-GH       Full Metal Poker

Offline Lu_e

« Reply #52 on: Tue, 02 July 2013, 12:37:49 »
The thing you may not or (may) understand about Clack Factory is their colors and even materials are... experimental? yet refined. On top of that he uses 2 and even 3 'shots' of plastic creating one custom mold cap. Each meticulously QC'd as well. The skeletor is just a continuing OG art design of his.

I was lucky enough to win a Oktoberfest in the EliteKeyboards Fall drawing, that was like my 4th or 5th try, and it just happened to work out randomly. Its hard to be aware of timings of random sales... so you dont feed the ugly flippers, and the profit fully goes to those who deserve it.

Not to say I wouldnt buy a set of your caps. just trying to say I agree, and help understand you just happen to be looking at some of the highest quality, yet un-numbered, exclusively sold 'art' keycaps.

Your design might be very cool done in colored translucent polycarbonate. like these

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #53 on: Tue, 02 July 2013, 16:05:29 »
You guys need that Vice set to go together with a key set in Miami colors. ;p

Seriously, though, that looks cool, and is a lot more interesting to me than a skull in another color.

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #54 on: Tue, 02 July 2013, 16:07:34 »
You guys need that Vice set to go together with a key set in Miami colors. ;p

Seriously, though, that looks cool, and is a lot more interesting to me than a skull in another color.

Oohuhu~ I see what you did there. I don't really care for these pleasures but that is a cool idea. Would love to see a mock-up of Miami Vice caps :))