Author Topic: [IC] GREEN SCREEN SA Keycaps == Your Computer in the 1980s  (Read 128041 times)

Offline admgc

[IC] GREEN SCREEN SA Keycaps == Your Computer in the 1980s
« on: Sun, 27 September 2015, 15:16:32 »
[IC] GREEN SCREEN SA Keycaps == Your Computer in the 1980s

IC Voting

Please Vote in the Massdrop Poll!

Overview

Hi Everyone, I'm designing keycaps inspired by the first computer I owned, a hand-me-down Apple IIe. It was old by the time I got it, but it started me off well enough. Assuming you were old enough to type in the late 80s, you probably used an Apple II at some point, or at least a computer with a green or amber phosphor CRT.

This has been in IC for a while now and with some great feedback from all of you, and we're in the home stretch design-wise. Special thanks to harlw, data, and derezzed for their input on colorways; to Oobly for the novelties ideas and SP specs knowledge.

Images

Version 1.2.1 (Updated 2016-02-26)

Imgur Album: Green Screen SA Keycaps v.1.2.1

Older Version 1.2.0 (Updated 2015-10-15)

Inspiration

This.

And these.

"Green Screen" Details

• Signature Plastics ABS SA keys
  • MX compatible stems
  • Profile Rows 1-1-2-3-4-4
  • Doubleshot legends
  • Semi-Matte Finish (Standard)

Kits

• Green Screen Alphas Kit
  • Green Screen Numpad Kit
  • Amber Screen Alphas Kit
  • Amber Screen Numpad Kit
  • Green/Amber Screen Modifiers Kit
  • Green/Amber Screen DNA (DNA's Not ANSI) Kit
  • Green/Amber Screen Old School Homing Kit
  • Green/Amber Screen 8-bit (novelties) Kit
  • Green/Amber Screen Ortho Mods Kit (Planck, Atomic)
  • Green/Amber Screen ErgoDox Kit
  • Green Screen Alt Layouts Kit
  • Green Screen I18n Mods Kit (ISO)
  • Green Screen I18n Kit A (UK/IE)
  • Green Screen I18n Kit B (DE/NO/DK/SE/IT)
  • Green Screen I18n Kit C (FR)

Group Buy Plans

As a new member of the community, I don't intend to run a group buy myself nor collect any money. Hope to get this on Massdrop.

Work Log

Incorporate feedback on colorway from harlw, data, others.
Numpad Kit v1.2.0
Alt Layouts Kit v1.2.0
ISO 9995 Kit v1.2.0
"Amber Screen" Alphas Kit
Images for terminal novelty
Not ANSI Kit v1.2.0
Green Screen Alphas Kit v1.2.1
Green Screen Numpad Kit v1.2.1
Amber Screen Alphas Kit v1.2.1
Amber Screen Numpad Kit v1.2.1
Green/Amber Screen Modifiers Kit v1.2.1
Green/Amber Screen DNA (DNA's Not ANSI) Kit v1.2.1
Green/Amber Screen Old School Homing Kit v1.2.1
Green Screen ISO 9995 (UK) Kit v1.2.1
Green Screen Alt Layouts Kit v1.2.1
Green Screen International (DE,NO) Kit v1.2.1
Green/Amber Screen Ortho Mods Kit (Planck, Atomic)
Finish Green/Amber Screen 8-bit (novelties) Kit v1.2.1
Add color Return key to alphas kits
Add new I18n kit C for France
Break out ISO mods into own kit to leverage MOQ
Replace IS with IT in I18n Kit B

Thanks everyone!
« Last Edit: Fri, 26 February 2016, 01:04:36 by admgc »

Offline lolpes

Re: [IC] GREEN SCREEN SA Keycaps == Your Computer in the 1980s
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 27 September 2015, 15:29:41 »
Seems like a great combo for sa retro ;) I like it, maybe add a grey alphas add on? With green lettering :3

Offline harlw

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 27 September 2015, 21:21:18 »
I like the inspiration - for me, I would relate to green text on black more than white legends on a green background, it doesn't remind me of the green phosphorus at all in this colorway to be honest.

If I'm looking at it apart from the concept it's a really nice subtle combination that I think I could grow to love. I'd like to see some custom legends to bring the set up a notch in design if you can generate some good interest. I can help with those but it will be awhile before I could get to it as I'm working on a couple other sets atm and I would like to see what the general response to the set is in the community.

Ergodox (x2), V.EA Clone, Tada68, Atreus XL, Planck, Model M 70% Mod

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 27 September 2015, 22:58:53 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

I'm actually loving this new colour-way by this newb here, congrats  8) .

Truly an oldie set and as usual I'm a lover of anything that looks old especially anything connected to the SA Profile.

Stick to these images alone and I can see heaps of people piling in to buy this on MassDrop.
« Last Edit: Sun, 27 September 2015, 23:00:36 by Elrick »

Offline admgc

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 28 September 2015, 00:11:58 »
I'd like to see some custom legends to bring the set up a notch in design if you can generate some good interest. I can help with those but it will be awhile ... and I would like to see what the general response to the set is in the community.

I'd love to do some custom legends as well if enough of the community gets behind the design. Thanks for your offer to possibly help out with that later. Are you /u/thinman over on /r/keycapdesigners/ ...aka the guy who did the Danger Zone MD photoshop composites? Those things look incredible.
« Last Edit: Mon, 28 September 2015, 01:08:17 by admgc »

Offline admgc

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 28 September 2015, 00:19:27 »
I'm actually loving this new colour-way by this newb here, congrats ... Stick to these images alone and I can see heaps of people piling in to buy this on MassDrop.

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback.

Massdrop would be very cool. I suspect it's more of a "they'll contact you" type situation? I know designers will start a vote/poll over there once they expect to get 200+ votes, but I don't know how the process works after that point, honestly.

Offline Data

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 28 September 2015, 10:51:19 »
This is a cool idea.  The colors you chose don't really reflect that "green screen" feel, at least for me.  They're more reminiscent of the Nuclear Data and Green Tea sets.

Have you thought about trying a very dark green base color with very light green legends?

SP's darkest green is probably VV, which isn't particularly dark.  But GMK does have some nice darker greens (N3 especially)...  :)

I like your renders.  :thumb:
« Last Edit: Mon, 28 September 2015, 10:53:07 by Data »

Offline harlw

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 28 September 2015, 13:19:09 »
I'd like to see some custom legends to bring the set up a notch in design if you can generate some good interest. I can help with those but it will be awhile ... and I would like to see what the general response to the set is in the community.

I'd love to do some custom legends as well if enough of the community gets behind the design. Thanks for your offer to possibly help out with that later. Are you /u/thinman over on /r/keycapdesigners/ ...aka the guy who did the Danger Zone MD photoshop composites? Those things look incredible.

That's me - thanks for the fine compliment.

Offline harlw

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 28 September 2015, 13:30:12 »
I'm actually loving this new colour-way by this newb here, congrats ... Stick to these images alone and I can see heaps of people piling in to buy this on MassDrop.

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback.

Massdrop would be very cool. I suspect it's more of a "they'll contact you" type situation? I know designers will start a vote/poll over there once they expect to get 200+ votes, but I don't know how the process works after that point, honestly.

There are a number of factors that determine sets that actually get run at Massdrop but the main concern for them is community interest as they need a certain number of participants to make their model viable. I am a fan of theirs, some are not. They go out of their way to make things happen and to respond to the community. I've been working with them closely on the Danger Zone set and have been very impressed.

It starts with an interest check over there I believe, and we can help you along with the rest of the process. Data, for example, created Danger Zone so he obviously knows wuts up.

It's more work than you think so be aware of that and be sure you have the time to commit.

Also - you may or may not be aware that getting a set made at Signature Plastics (SA profile) will be scheduled well into next year. Carbon Dec. > Danger Zone Feb. > at least one or two other sets that are potentially days away from launching their group buys > Green Screen (assuming there's enough interest).

Offline harlw

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 28 September 2015, 14:09:37 »
Combining Data and I's suggestions, there some good ABS grays and beige colors that could pull off the look quite well I think.

Offline harlw

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 28 September 2015, 14:11:11 »
This is a cool idea.  The colors you chose don't really reflect that "green screen" feel, at least for me.  They're more reminiscent of the Nuclear Data and Green Tea sets.

Have you thought about trying a very dark green base color with very light green legends?

SP's darkest green is probably VV, which isn't particularly dark.  But GMK does have some nice darker greens (N3 especially)...  :)

Does GMK have alternative font options? This set could do with a more technical looking font.

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 28 September 2015, 14:12:58 »
The black/green is a better fit for the name Green Screen, but the original colorway is nice too. However, I think you should change the name if you keep it.

Offline Data

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 28 September 2015, 15:00:23 »

Does GMK have alternative font options? This set could do with a more technical looking font.
That's a good question.  I have no idea!  :P

They might only have the standard "Cherry" legends.  I don't think I've ever seen another font on a GMK set.

Offline admgc

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 28 September 2015, 17:19:43 »
Combining Data and I's suggestions, there some good ABS grays and beige colors that could pull off the look quite well I think.

That does look really good. I'll make some new mockups using this colorway to explore it.

Offline admgc

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 28 September 2015, 17:26:31 »
The colors you chose don't really reflect that "green screen" feel, at least for me.  They're more reminiscent of the Nuclear Data and Green Tea sets.

Thanks for the feedback, the "colorway doesn't reflect the inspiration" comments seem to be a consistent theme in the feedback I'm getting, so I'm going to take it to heart and explore the colorway you and harlw suggested.

I actually started with some orange in the colorway until I realized that it was way too similar to Nuclear Data, yeah.

Offline engicoder

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 28 September 2015, 17:29:58 »

Show Image

I like this a lot.

Offline admgc

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 28 September 2015, 17:31:33 »
... I think you should change the name if you keep it.

I almost called it "Phosphor" or "Phos4"...

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 28 September 2015, 19:45:39 »

No they are not anything like those shades of Green used previously by Nuclear Data or Green Tea sets  >:( .

His choice is ideal, but if you start darkening the green then it WILL look like Nuclears for sure.  His choice of the right amount of greens coupled with the appropriate warm grey shade for the Fs and side of keyboard caps will make this set unique plus it'll be all in SA profile, which the Green Teas weren't.

Stick with your original colour shades because they look like a straight throw back to the 1980's, which I still clearly remember compared to those here who were never born during that time period and have no idea what it was like or what colours where available.
« Last Edit: Mon, 28 September 2015, 19:49:03 by Elrick »

Offline Data

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 28 September 2015, 21:06:27 »
Ok, but Elrick... VBQ is the exact same green used in Green Tea.  So, yes, it is very much the same shade.

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 28 September 2015, 21:16:25 »

Show Image

I like this a lot.
+1

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline tynorton

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 28 September 2015, 23:44:29 »

Show Image

I like this a lot.
+1

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 01:51:30 »

Show Image

I like this a lot.

+1 to this, too.

It's a pity VV is the darkest ABS shade SP has, would be awesome to have something a bit closer to the background colour on the original Apple II keyboard:

Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline MikeTheTiger

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 02:00:57 »

Show Image

+1 on this. Really cool color scheme.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 02:08:38 »

Show Image

I think VAT legends on GSM are pretty close to those alphas. Not sure which beige will match best, though.... Maybe TM with GSM legend?
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline just66in

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 07:20:25 »
This really reminds me of the green tea set I missed

Offline admgc

« Reply #25 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 18:09:04 »
It's looking like VCM legends are the most literal, but some of the others look good too. Thoughts?

Offline Data

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 18:17:15 »
GQM is a solid choice. Do you have a color ring? I could take a few photos of different color combinations of you think it would help.

For the green I'd probably suggest whatever has the highest contrast. VAT seems to work well, at least on this screen.

Offline admgc

« Reply #27 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 18:44:20 »
Do you have a color ring? I could take a few photos of different color combinations of you think it would help.

I don't have a SP color ring; I've just been going off of the Desk Authority's Signature Plastics ABS Color Table page, so yeah, some photos would be cool. Thanks.

Offline admgc

« Reply #28 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 19:17:41 »
New colorway images uploaded in original post under heading 'Images v1.2'.

Offline Data

« Reply #29 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 20:29:53 »
Heh.  It's cool man.  Nice job.

The DT wiki is a great starting point.  I'll see if I can throw some photos together for you.

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 20:47:19 »
The new colors look great  :thumb:

"haters are confused admirers"

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 20:47:44 »
Version 1.2 looks wonderful. I've never seen a colorway like this before.

IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #32 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 00:13:04 »
Version 1.1 (Posted 2015-09-27)

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Sorry but the OP's original Version - 1.1  still rocks my boat  :thumb: .

For this colour-way, would be willing to hand over $750+ AUD to own, any day of the week.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #33 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 00:34:20 »
Version 1.2 looks wonderful. I've never seen a colorway like this before.

The Alphas look like Toxic, but it is an interesting combo.

Offline admgc

« Reply #34 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 00:40:39 »
This old 'power' cap is practically begging to become a novelty somehow.

Offline U47

« Reply #35 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 00:54:20 »
You had me at green-on-charcoal caps.

Offline derezzed

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #36 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 01:01:49 »
I'm not a fan of the DSA profile but I think this would look awesome on either SA or DSA.
I made a mock-up of version 1.2 with amber alphas to see how the set would look with another classic monochrome color, but I prefer the green.  It might cost too much to make a double shot mold for it but I thought the command prompt would make a good novelty key, so I made a mock-up of a 1.25u key to replace the OS key.  That power button would be a nice novelty too.

112267-0

Offline admgc

« Reply #37 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 01:07:06 »

Ha! Very similar colors. Do you own those?

Offline admgc

« Reply #38 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 01:16:05 »
...command prompt would make a good novelty key, so I made a mock-up of a 1.25u key to replace the OS key.

Thanks for the feedback and the mockup. I think it would be cool to have command prompt variants for each of MS DOS, Apple DOS and UNIX as they appeared in the 80s. Could get pricey though, you're right.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #39 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 02:38:22 »
Better yet, basic commands could be funny.

rm -rf

format c:

Something IBM mainframe focused from z/OS (or MVS back in those days) would be very appropriate; you can't talk green screens without talking about IBM mainframes.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #40 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 02:44:11 »
The new version is looking sharp! I like it a lot!

...command prompt would make a good novelty key, so I made a mock-up of a 1.25u key to replace the OS key.

Thanks for the feedback and the mockup. I think it would be cool to have command prompt variants for each of MS DOS, Apple DOS and UNIX as they appeared in the 80s. Could get pricey though, you're right.

It costs $50 per design to cut the legend, so as long as you get enough orders it won't affect the price too much. At 100 orders it's only a 50 cents increase per set per design. Depending how you plan the kits you can choose to distribute the cost in a way that makes sense to you.
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline just66in

« Reply #41 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 06:41:29 »
V 1.2 looks fresh  :thumb:

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #42 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 06:59:58 »
For the command prompt, I think a generic >_ would be good enough.

My boards:
More

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #43 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 07:13:12 »

+1

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #44 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 07:14:54 »
I'm not a fan of the DSA profile but I think this would look awesome on either SA or DSA.
I made a mock-up of version 1.2 with amber alphas to see how the set would look with another classic monochrome color, but I prefer the green.  It might cost too much to make a double shot mold for it but I thought the command prompt would make a good novelty key, so I made a mock-up of a 1.25u key to replace the OS key.  That power button would be a nice novelty too.

(Attachment Link)

+1 I'd be in for a DSA set. SA is just too tall for small footprint layouts like 60s. I know they may look well, but the feeling is not what I like to use daily for typing.

Offline U47

« Reply #45 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 10:19:15 »

Ha! Very similar colors. Do you own those?

I do. They're pulled off a NeXT board with Alps switches. My fave.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #46 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 11:47:03 »

>_ would be an odd prompt.

For most UNIX, root's shell prompt is simply #.  Users typically got $.  At least in UNIX, > usually was an indicator that you missed a quote or such in your command string and the OS is assuming you're going to complete it on another line.

For DOS, most typically set it up as C:\

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #47 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 11:55:55 »
Looks awesome.

One think to keep in mind is that Signature Plastics SA production is already backed up to February 2016 (source: Danger Zone GB ETA). So, if anything, take your time with the IC phase :)

Offline Data

« Reply #48 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 14:24:46 »

For most UNIX, root's shell prompt is simply #.  Users typically got $.  At least in UNIX, > usually was an indicator that you missed a quote or such in your command string and the OS is assuming you're going to complete it on another line.

It actually looks like C:\>_ in Windows/DOS.  So >_ does sort of make sense in that regard.  We've been over this once before, actually...

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=67638.0

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #49 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 15:11:40 »

It actually looks like C:\>_ in Windows/DOS.  So >_ does sort of make sense in that regard.  We've been over this once before, actually...

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=67638.0

Ahh, I'd forgotten about the > in there as I spend very little time in a Windows/DOS prompt.  Almost all of my CLI time is in the UNIX/Linux world where # and $ are common.  So the _ would simply represent the text cursor, then and be included?