Author Topic: [IC] XDA Oblique (GB live!)  (Read 168121 times)

Offline ppp

• KappaKeepoKoopa
Re: [IC] XDA Oblique (AEK-style keyset)
« Reply #150 on: Thu, 01 March 2018, 12:03:36 »
I know these aren't really Apple themed, but is there any interest in vim arrow keys?

Show Image

As an occasional vim user myself, I find it weird that you guys feel the need for those arrow keys at all.

Also not Apple-related. In fact, of all things, emacs would be a better candidate, as macOS has always supported lots of emacs' navigational shortcuts.

obviously so that when people see your keyboard and ask you why you have arrow keys on hjkl, you can say "ah yes. I use vim."  :p
I like the aesthetic though. heh.

Offline dr_derivative

• Not a real doctor
« Reply #151 on: Tue, 06 March 2018, 17:52:33 »

Super high res 4k uncropped version: http://i.imgur.com/WWzr01T.png

More renders coming soon ;D
GH/Reddit/DT: dr_derivative | Discord: dr_derivative#3618 | IG: dr_derivative_mk
MK Ireland Discord: https://discord.gg/2KdxJzR

Offline macclack

• Macclack
« Reply #152 on: Tue, 06 March 2018, 23:04:32 »
 :thumb:

Great looking render. Getting excited!

Offline dr_derivative

• Not a real doctor
« Reply #153 on: Wed, 07 March 2018, 08:34:08 »
If anyone wants to see any specific keyboard rendered with XDA Oblique, let me know ;D
GH/Reddit/DT: dr_derivative | Discord: dr_derivative#3618 | IG: dr_derivative_mk

Offline R4WBIT

« Reply #154 on: Wed, 07 March 2018, 08:41:11 »
If anyone wants to see any specific keyboard rendered with XDA Oblique, let me know ;D

An HHKB custom render would be awesome! (X60, Duck Viper etc.)

Offline ppp

• KappaKeepoKoopa
« Reply #155 on: Wed, 07 March 2018, 08:41:24 »
Could you do a tkl?

Offline quaddepos

« Reply #156 on: Wed, 07 March 2018, 08:41:45 »
40% :-)

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Offline Origami_Rabbit

« Reply #158 on: Wed, 07 March 2018, 10:40:20 »
1800 and 96k layout or either of them if that won't bother you any, many thanks!
HHKB Pro JP Type-S with hasu alt controller
Leopold FC980c

Offline Visionaire

« Reply #159 on: Wed, 07 March 2018, 12:11:50 »

KBD75. ;) haha

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #160 on: Wed, 07 March 2018, 14:44:34 »
Looks nice.

Offline ucyo

« Reply #161 on: Thu, 08 March 2018, 00:36:45 »
Is it too late to suggest a mono kit like the one from mitos canvas?

Offline DukeMugen

• +1
« Reply #162 on: Thu, 08 March 2018, 02:46:14 »
RAMA M60-A!!!

let me check my wallet.

Offline dr_derivative

• Not a real doctor
« Reply #163 on: Mon, 12 March 2018, 17:50:36 »
I've completely reorganised the OP to remove all of the out of date info and better reflect what's going on now. All of the kit layouts which are pretty much finalised now barring some major compatibility issues or amazing novelty ideas ;D.

An HHKB custom render would be awesome! (X60, Duck Viper etc.)

Super high-res 4k version

Could you do a tkl?
40% :-)
LZ CLSm 75% please?
1800 and 96k layout or either of them if that won't bother you any, many thanks!
KBD75. ;) haha
RAMA M60-A!!!

I'll try to do some of these over the next week or two, enough to have a good selection of layouts rendered. I'll probably redo that ortho board from earlier too, I'm not happy with the lighting. Also, I'm surprised nobody requested the Modern M0110, that's next on the list ;D. I'll add the renders to the OP as I make them rather than posting a new reply for each one.

Is it too late to suggest a mono kit like the one from mitos canvas?

Kit layouts are pretty close to being finalised now, the only changes I'll still be making are for compatibility :(. A mono kit doesn't really stick with the theme of the set anyway, and IMO the set looks pretty clean as is.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #164 on: Mon, 12 March 2018, 18:01:04 »
Sweet!

Offline Gamatatsu

« Reply #165 on: Mon, 12 March 2018, 19:21:12 »
a render on the modern m0110 would look awesome :thumb:

Offline macclack

• Macclack
« Reply #166 on: Mon, 12 March 2018, 22:40:22 »
This is really coming together. Really looking forward to this launching. Thanks for putting this together  :thumb:

Offline gutsack

« Reply #167 on: Mon, 12 March 2018, 23:27:45 »

Offline DukeMugen

• +1
« Reply #168 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 01:19:33 »
Just run the GB already!  ;)
let me check my wallet.

Offline nguyenhimself

« Reply #170 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 05:49:56 »
Well-done, OP, you honestly exceeded all my expectations. I honestly didn't care much for the accent mods until now, because wow, those are just lovely. Very subdued colors. Reminded me a bit of GMK Muted actually.

Good job, and yes, move this to the GB thread already!

p.s: Zfrontier for Asia please  ;)

Offline saucybulgogi

« Reply #171 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 09:28:02 »
Hoping to buy as many of the individual kits as possible! Love this set

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline idlemao

« Reply #172 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 21:42:11 »
a render on the modern m0110 would look awesome :thumb:
Seconding this.

Just discovered this IC and it looks incredible!

Offline gutsack

« Reply #173 on: Wed, 14 March 2018, 14:59:59 »
I haven't been paying close attention to XDA timeframes... what's the current rough estimate of an XDA manufacturing run?

Offline asdflkweoiaf23452

« Reply #174 on: Wed, 14 March 2018, 17:44:39 »
Just run the GB already!  ;)

Yes please!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline dire

« Reply #175 on: Wed, 14 March 2018, 19:10:13 »
I love the colors and the XDA profile. Instant buy.

Offline dr_derivative

• Not a real doctor
« Reply #176 on: Thu, 15 March 2018, 18:06:51 »
I haven't been paying close attention to XDA timeframes... what's the current rough estimate of an XDA manufacturing run?

The delivery estimate for XDA Scrabble on Massdrop right now is end of August. AFAIK they're using the same manufacturer I've been in contact with (unless Massdrop has changed manufacturer).

Offline unmuscular_michael

« Reply #177 on: Sat, 17 March 2018, 15:43:12 »
You can contact Linotype, who licenses the Univers 57 Condensed Oblique here: https://www.linotype.com/44/support-contact.html

The base font for one PC is $65, but there'd likely be a "per volume" license cost that may not be too much. Might be worth looking into if there is more interest in the original font.

I am totally in for XDA though, going to be a great set.

Offline dr_derivative

• Not a real doctor
« Reply #178 on: Sat, 17 March 2018, 17:09:43 »
You can contact Linotype, who licenses the Univers 57 Condensed Oblique here: https://www.linotype.com/44/support-contact.html

The base font for one PC is $65, but there'd likely be a "per volume" license cost that may not be too much. Might be worth looking into if there is more interest in the original font.

I considered doing that, but the thing is that Univers 57 doesn't quite match the AEK either. As far as I can tell Univers was used as a base but was modified by Apple. I have modified a number of the symbols from Oswald to match the AEK, so much so that my current kit layouts are actually closer to the AEK font than Univers is. IMO it's not worth it to pay extra just to get another font that's still just as inaccurate.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #179 on: Sat, 17 March 2018, 17:26:53 »
The single color set render shows an elegant keyboard that by all means look far better than any actual AEK. Now, it may be a diservice for the set to be called after AEK, while it looks far better than it. The XDA profile and the color chosen, plus the nicely designed fonts and symbols matched so well that the original is just a bad dream compared with it.

Offline asdflkweoiaf23452

« Reply #180 on: Sat, 17 March 2018, 23:05:21 »
I will be buying the **** out of this.

Offline xyverz

« Reply #181 on: Sat, 17 March 2018, 23:17:22 »
I love it! I'd be very interested in this kit.

Offline thelaughingman

• Simultaneously the most starry-eyed idealist and t
« Reply #182 on: Sun, 18 March 2018, 00:09:07 »
I guess I'm a bit late on this train but here I am, at the platform holding my money for a ticket!

Beautiful set, the font had me at hello! It's great to read up and see all the changes and evolution that took place. XDA is a good choice, the pale/pastel colours for the Accents kit is great (DAT HHKB layout render - DAYUM!). A bit sad that there is no 6u center stemmed for Topre, and I considered Novelties but none of the keys resonate with me.

Keep it up man  :thumb:

Offline pomk

« Reply #183 on: Sun, 18 March 2018, 04:28:46 »
Is there a chance for a basic iso support on the katakana kit? In order to match with the windows japanese layout, when assigned to a standard non-japanese iso keyboard, a copy of the 1U |\ key with the appropriate tetriary legend would need to be added. A full jis option would be preferred (xda even has the required spacebar available), but I don’t think there is enough interest for it.

Offline dr_derivative

• Not a real doctor
« Reply #184 on: Sun, 18 March 2018, 10:39:05 »
A bit sad that there is no 6u center stemmed for Topre

A lot of people have been asking about 6u centre stem spacebars but they don't exist in XDA profile; it was one of the first things I asked them about :)). If there is enough interest I'm considering running a small groupbuy for DSA 6u spacebars in a matching colour after this ships. It won't be perfect but it should match better than stock Topre spacebars.

Is there a chance for a basic iso support on the katakana kit? In order to match with the windows japanese layout, when assigned to a standard non-japanese iso keyboard, a copy of the 1U |\ key with the appropriate tetriary legend would need to be added. A full jis option would be preferred (xda even has the required spacebar available), but I don’t think there is enough interest for it.

So if I just add a second \|ム key that should work for ISO? If I set my keyboard layout to Japanese both ISO keys output those characters. I should probably add a second \| key to the normal alphas kit to cover an ISO board without buying an ISO kit, for those who are just cheap or whose specific variant of ISO isn't supported anyway. I'll make both these changes later ;D.

I had a quick search through my IC form and there were 0 results for 'JIS', so you're actually the first person to ask for it. So definitely not enough interest unless you're willing to buy enough JIS kits yourself to reach MOQ :)).

the pale/pastel colours for the Accents kit is great (DAT HHKB layout render - DAYUM!).
The single color set render shows an elegant keyboard that by all means look far better than any actual AEK. Now, it may be a diservice for the set to be called after AEK, while it looks far better than it. The XDA profile and the color chosen, plus the nicely designed fonts and symbols matched so well that the original is just a bad dream compared with it.
I honestly didn't care much for the accent mods until now, because wow, those are just lovely.

I'm starting to get a little bit worried that everyone will be disappointed if the colour mods don't perfectly match that one render :)) I'll try my best though :thumb:
« Last Edit: Sun, 18 March 2018, 10:45:37 by dr_derivative »

Offline corygrapher

« Reply #185 on: Sun, 18 March 2018, 15:14:34 »
Love this very much

Offline pomk

« Reply #186 on: Mon, 19 March 2018, 12:58:03 »

So if I just add a second \|ム key that should work for ISO? If I set my keyboard layout to Japanese both ISO keys output those characters. I should probably add a second \| key to the normal alphas kit to cover an ISO board without buying an ISO kit, for those who are just cheap or whose specific variant of ISO isn't supported anyway. I'll make both these changes later ;D.

I had a quick search through my IC form and there were 0 results for 'JIS', so you're actually the first person to ask for it. So definitely not enough interest unless you're willing to buy enough JIS kits yourself to reach MOQ :)).
What would the MOQ and price combinations be like for a 8 x 1U + 2x 1.25U kit? (i.e. how much would for example ten sets cost me, if no more are going to be made)

The spacebar I can probably get from the spacebar kits.

Offline dr_derivative

• Not a real doctor
« Reply #187 on: Mon, 19 March 2018, 14:13:33 »

So if I just add a second \|ム key that should work for ISO? If I set my keyboard layout to Japanese both ISO keys output those characters. I should probably add a second \| key to the normal alphas kit to cover an ISO board without buying an ISO kit, for those who are just cheap or whose specific variant of ISO isn't supported anyway. I'll make both these changes later ;D .

I had a quick search through my IC form and there were 0 results for 'JIS', so you're actually the first person to ask for it. So definitely not enough interest unless you're willing to buy enough JIS kits yourself to reach MOQ :)) .
What would the MOQ and price combinations be like for a 8 x 1U + 2x 1.25U kit? (i.e. how much would for example ten sets cost me, if no more are going to be made)

The spacebar I can probably get from the spacebar kits.

MOQ is 25 sets and pricing should be around $15-ish for a set that size. I can get actual quotes if you're still interested when we get to GB phase, but IMO it's not worth it. You could just get the blanks kit which can cover those keys, although blanks won't be quite as nice.

Offline pomk

« Reply #188 on: Mon, 19 March 2018, 14:24:31 »
MOQ is 25 sets and pricing should be around $15-ish for a set that size. I can get actual quotes if you're still interested when we get to GB phase, but IMO it's not worth it. You could just get the blanks kit which can cover those keys, although blanks won't be quite as nice.
Based on xda canvas pricing, it should be about $13. At that price I could buy ten sets, but the additional 15 to make it past the MOQ are probably difficult to sell (especially considering that I have been the only one to show interest).

Offline dr_derivative

• Not a real doctor
« Reply #189 on: Mon, 19 March 2018, 19:07:00 »
Based on xda canvas pricing, it should be about $13. At that price I could buy ten sets, but the additional 15 to make it past the MOQ are probably difficult to sell (especially considering that I have been the only one to show interest).
You could buy a couple of blanks kits and have a go at DIY dye-subbing, using a guide like this: https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/6egoot/idea23_how_to_dye_sub_your_own_caps/. It should end up cheaper than 25 sets even with the cost of the equipment and a few spare blanks kits in case you mess up.

Offline LVNDSCAPE

« Reply #190 on: Tue, 20 March 2018, 01:03:52 »
So hyped and can't wait.
Will there be asia proxy?

Offline kamisamamizu

« Reply #191 on: Tue, 20 March 2018, 05:01:26 »
Looks great!
I recently acquired an aek2, and I must say that I love the caps, so I'm pretty interested in this.
BTW, all the thanks for having Spanish support  on the Int kit!

Edit: I have two suggestions:
Why have control instead of ctrl on the icon mods? On the models with icon mods, it is always ctrl.
Also, any way to get altgr keys? Right alt is altgr on European models, and it'd be great to have it on this keyset.
« Last Edit: Tue, 20 March 2018, 05:49:23 by kamisamamizu »

Offline dr_derivative

• Not a real doctor
« Reply #192 on: Tue, 20 March 2018, 09:04:42 »
So hyped and can't wait.
Will there be asia proxy?

I'm working on contacting vendors at the moment ;)

Edit: I have two suggestions:
Why have control instead of ctrl on the icon mods? On the models with icon mods, it is always ctrl.
Also, any way to get altgr keys? Right alt is altgr on European models, and it'd be great to have it on this keyset.

I want to have the same legend on both text and icon mod kits just for the sake of consistency, and I just prefer control over ctrl :)).

I don't want to add an extra altgr key since I would have to add tons of keys for different layouts (1 key in text/icon mods, 6 in accent kit, 4 in compatibility, 2 in ortho). I could change right alt to altgr in all the kits, but then it would be incorrect for the majority who are ANSI users.

I think most keysets just include alt, in fact I'm typing this on an ISO board with GMK Plum which has two alts. Also considering it's a secondary legend for the option key it's not that important either IMO, so I think I'm going to leave it as is for the moment.

Offline eyedrop

« Reply #193 on: Tue, 20 March 2018, 11:28:56 »
This with Modern M0110...tasty!

Can't wait for the GB to happen.   :thumb:

Offline ucyo

« Reply #194 on: Tue, 20 March 2018, 11:57:09 »

Quote from: dr_derivative

[/quote

An EU vendor would be nice..

Offline PancakeMSTR

« Reply #195 on: Tue, 20 March 2018, 12:02:52 »
I might...like I really want to...but I might not be able to resist the katakana.

Offline dr_derivative

• Not a real doctor
« Reply #196 on: Tue, 20 March 2018, 13:34:15 »

An EU vendor would be nice..

I'm European too so I'll definitely get an EU vendor on board if I can :)
« Last Edit: Tue, 20 March 2018, 13:36:19 by dr_derivative »

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #197 on: Tue, 20 March 2018, 13:47:43 »
Just saw this thread, absolutely loving the aesthetic.  I know it's been mentioned before in this thread, and I have no interest in derailing the discussion/direction, but I do want to toss out my interest in a Cherry/cylindrical profile version of this set.  DSA/XDA is a no go for me, but I hope this is a massive success as I do love the look. 

Offline dragonfax

« Reply #198 on: Tue, 20 March 2018, 14:23:00 »
In for a 104 set and an ortho preonic set.

Offline unmuscular_michael

« Reply #199 on: Tue, 20 March 2018, 15:14:10 »
I am definitely in for this, and possibly multiple full kits. It looks incredible!