Author Topic: How to solder your mechanical keyboard PROPERLY!  (Read 12757 times)

Offline jujucables

• JUJU Cables WEBSITE IN PROGRESS!
How to solder your mechanical keyboard PROPERLY!
« on: Tue, 23 January 2018, 00:59:15 »
Hey all I am kind of a new member here but have been in the game for about 6 months!

Always a electronics guy, just became a mechanical keeb guy  :p :thumb:

Anyways I made this (first ever video) on soldering your own mechanical keyboard with an aesthetic taste, and to somewhat get a beginner started within 6 mins!

Feedback is always great! I know I missed ALOT of technical detail, but I think that is the point! Just so a beginner can understand what to look for!

Tell me what you think:

EDIT:

These are my new videos from 2020 and 2019 on how to build a mechanical keyboard. I have linked the time stamp where it starts to show you how to solder but please do feel free to watch the whole video! Full of value :)

« Last Edit: Thu, 06 August 2020, 08:39:46 by jujucables »

Offline rinkaan

Re: How to solder your mechanical keyboard PROPERLY!
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 23 January 2018, 21:52:21 »
i have noticed that if i switched out to a new tip, it doesn't take the solder well initially, is there any easy way to make the solder get "tinned" up on a brand new tip?

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 23 January 2018, 22:11:04 »
Nice video, just want to point out that it's set so that it can't be framed in by other sites, just an FYI.

I'd like to mention for anyone else watching/reading this, you absolutely do not need to spend that much on a soldering iron to get started. The Weller WLC100 is a fantastic soldering iron for $40.

Also, I really don't think it's necessary to clean and re-tin your tip after every switch. I usually go about 3 or 4 at a time. It just adds so much extra time to do it after every switch.

Offline jujucables

• JUJU Cables WEBSITE IN PROGRESS!
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 04 February 2018, 06:47:15 »
Nice video, just want to point out that it's set so that it can't be framed in by other sites, just an FYI.

I'd like to mention for anyone else watching/reading this, you absolutely do not need to spend that much on a soldering iron to get started. The Weller WLC100 is a fantastic soldering iron for $40.

Also, I really don't think it's necessary to clean and re-tin your tip after every switch. I usually go about 3 or 4 at a time. It just adds so much extra time to do it after every switch.

Definitely,

The guide i provided on the video description should provide some cheaper alternatives!

Also you are correct for cleaning between a large amount of switches. I just thought it would be a good habit for a beginner to understand the importance of cleaning the tip from residue, etc.

Offline IAmPurple

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 09 July 2018, 02:39:55 »
Kinda late here but just wanted to thank you for the very informative guide :) Planning on building a keyboard in the foreseeable future but was nervous with the soldering as I usually mess things like that up pretty bad, but feeling more confident now.