Author Topic: Maxkey Dolch versus Portland, and glossy finish?  (Read 4429 times)

Offline tenfour

Maxkey Dolch versus Portland, and glossy finish?
« on: Thu, 15 March 2018, 03:15:10 »
Wallet's feeling a bit cold, and I'm thinking about getting my first dolch-ish set  :cool:. I'm seeing these two items from Kbdfans:

https://kbdfans.myshopify.com/collections/keycaps/products/maxkey-dolch-sa-double-shot-abs-keycaps

https://kbdfans.myshopify.com/collections/keycaps/products/maxkey-doubleshot-pbt-portland-147key

Both are $99, MX-compat, SA profile, doubleshot ABS.

1. What is the difference between these two, besides the two red keys? What am I missing?

2. Are they as glossy as in the photos (below)? I'm afraid to drop the $$ if they're going to have the same textured finish as typical keycaps, but if they have this vintage glossy look as in the photos, that's quite unique.

3. Any other words of wisdom if you've got experience with these or other Maxkey sets?

Offline HotRoderX

Re: Maxkey Dolch versus Portland, and glossy finish?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 15 March 2018, 03:30:11 »
as someone who had a Portland set. I think the only differences is the red keys?

They where extremely glossy when the light hit them. They where not shined if that is what your afters but the texture was extremely extremely smooth. They where nice key's just I couldn't get use to the SA profile and had to let them go.

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 15 March 2018, 09:06:12 »
That's a render, not a picture I believe.  They are not that glossy in person.  Maxkeys sets are not super glossy like SP sets, they're more of a satin finish.. not quite matte, but not quite glossy. 
keyboards.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 15 March 2018, 11:17:37 »
That's a render, not a picture I believe.  They are not that glossy in person.  Maxkeys sets are not super glossy like SP sets, they're more of a satin finish.. not quite matte, but not quite glossy.

this
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline zslane

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 15 March 2018, 12:31:29 »
Dolch and Portland use different shades of gray. Portland is gray and black, whereas Dolch uses two grays, one very dark (GX) and one medium (GE). In fact, the grays used on SA Dolch are the same as DSA Dolch.

As for the "shine", both will be the same as any other SA set you can get, even the ones from SP. They all use the same molds. However, these being ABS the satin-like finish will wear away over time and become glossy. I have lots of SA sets from SP, and brand new they also have a satin-like finish. This is what they call their "semi-matte" finish, though I think it should be called "semi-gloss". They have a completely different finish called "gloss" which I don't think anybody has ever used for a custom SA set.