Author Topic: Standard RF 87U vs RF Low Noise 10th Anniversary  (Read 2601 times)

Offline method_

Standard RF 87U vs RF Low Noise 10th Anniversary
« on: Tue, 20 March 2018, 07:19:50 »
Hello everyone !

This is my first post here, happy to be part of the forum.

I've got a small question to ask the experts:

I've fallen in love with the realforce and the thock feel recently, and after trying the standard 88U i've gone for the uniform 45g which is perfect for me.

My problem is, I've got the opportunity for a friend to bring me back from Korea the 87U 10th anniversary 45g uniform which looks awesome. Nevertheless, it is advertise everywhere on the korean websites as Low Noise. I'm really love the feel of the keys the classic 88U i got this week (which i can still send back), and I'm just wondering if because of this Low Noise "mod" the feel will be altered?

What do they add inside apart from lube to make it "low noise" ?
Should I tell my buddy to bring it back for me and send the 88U back?

Ahh.. One of Life's crossroads I guess..

Cheers!  :p
thock program.

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
Re: Standard RF 87U vs RF Low Noise 10th Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 20 March 2018, 07:26:08 »
Hello everyone !

This is my first post here, happy to be part of the forum.

I've got a small question to ask the experts:

I've fallen in love with the realforce and the thock feel recently, and after trying the standard 88U i've gone for the uniform 45g which is perfect for me.

My problem is, I've got the opportunity for a friend to bring me back from Korea the 87U 10th anniversary 45g uniform which looks awesome. Nevertheless, it is advertise everywhere on the korean websites as Low Noise. I'm really love the feel of the keys the classic 88U i got this week (which i can still send back), and I'm just wondering if because of this Low Noise "mod" the feel will be altered?

What do they add inside apart from lube to make it "low noise" ?
Should I tell my buddy to bring it back for me and send the 88U back?

Ahh.. One of Life's crossroads I guess..

Cheers!  :p

The 'low noise' models feature a silencing ring on the slider, like so:

It doesn't alter the feel, as the barrel of the sliders are slightly longer than the standard model to accommodate for the silencing pad.

Sound-wise, it does lose some of its signature thock, but it's still a very pleasant sound.

Offline method_

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 18 April 2018, 09:42:47 »
Thanks for this photo dgneo!

I have now received it and like you guys mentioned before, it does make a noise difference which is great for an office environment. The keypress on the silcenced feels a little bit more "rugged" than the standard 88U 45g I had last month tho, but maybe I am just imagining it. Wonderful keyboard nonetheless.

I'm happy I returned the 88U and waited for the 10th anniversary.

thock thock.

thock program.

Offline clasicks

• Formerly KeyboardUser4
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 18 April 2018, 09:47:03 »

I have now received it and like you guys mentioned before, it does make a noise difference which is great for an office environment. The keypress on the silcenced feels a little bit more "rugged" than the standard 88U 45g I had last month tho, but maybe I am just imagining it. Wonderful keyboard nonetheless.

thock thock.
Show Image

Show Image

cool boards bud, anniversary edition has the best keyset.

Always been intrigued by the 980C... maybe someday. Its nice to see the footprint is basically the same as a standard 87u

Offline method_

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 19 April 2018, 15:02:33 »

thock thock.
Show Image

Show Image

cool boards bud, anniversary edition has the best keyset.

Always been intrigued by the 980C... maybe someday. Its nice to see the footprint is basically the same as a standard 87u

Yes the 980C is amazing, not only the overall Leopold quality but the layout itself. As you said it's basically the same footprint and you can enjoy a keypad.

I've been wanting one since I saw the blog of one member here: http://nwsill.com/FC980C-White
thock program.